• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Rizzi

How's Lightning Returns? I got a PS3 today. Mainly for Dark Souls 2 and Demon's Souls, but hey I'm not going to ignore a game if it's good.

Wazzy

Banned
You guys are saving me money by going on about BD wooo!

I'm sure I'll try the game eventually but from the sounds of it, I can wait. I'm all about FFXHD, the new soundtrack still isn't superior to the old one but I find myself growing to like it at least.

It's really good so far and the drop off apparently doesn't happen until chapter 4, I would highly push getting it even if this drop off is supposed to be horrible.

It's really good so far and the drop off apparently doesn't happen until chapter 4, I would highly push getting it even if this drop off is supposed to be horrible.

Oh I still plan to play it down the line but I can wait. There are other games coming out soon that are a higher priority for me.

Wazzy

Banned
Guys make sure to put your mouse over Wazzy's tag. :3

o_O... neat...

All this Bravely Default: Final Fantasy negative talk is real a bummer, since I thought it was gonna be a consistently good experience the whole time. Apparently not based on recent threads in gaming and comments here. Seems uneven. I've yet to touch my copy so I can't comment on it yet. I probably won't play for a while based upon up and coming changes to my life, but that's another story.

Call me weird, but I'm genuinely more excited about playing FFX/X-2HD, KH2.5HD, and ToS Chronicles, then what is out right now. I want to relive those games with a fresh coat of paint and all the extras that never made it overseas. Can't wait to play FFX again now that I have experienced the joy of FFXIII. I really don't remember FFX being all that linear when I played it a decade ago. I remember more branching paths, getting lost, and the cloister puzzles being pretty interesting. BBS with a control, enough said. ToS was one of my favorite JRPGs on the Gamecube (The other two being Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door). Really wish they nailed it on the delivery, but I'll take it. I guess quick and dirty ToS port is better than no HD port at all.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yo, Wazzy, how'd you get that tag? lol.

I have to be honest and say that I don't even like Symphonia that much and I'm so disappointed in what they've done with that remastering. Especially since it's that game's 10th anniversary and they could've gone the ToSr route instead since that game is hard for me to play these days, mechanically and ability-growth-wise. I'm somewhat glad I didn't bother to import it like I do with other Tales games because that would've been like $80 and I would've been short-changed.

I know ULTROS! and I were eager to look at the trophy lists for both FFX and FFX-2. I might only do the FFX-2 platinum and leave the FFX plat out to dry because I haaaate the chocobo quest sooooo muuuuuuch. Worst! People complain about blitzball but it's really the chocobo stuff I haaaate. On the other hand, I never liked the Gunner's Gauntlet in FFX-2 because it was hard for me to see stuff. I dunno yet. I want to replay FFX-2. I know that much. It's one of my favourites, and I somewhat hope that the reception for it this time around is a little loftier? I guess? FFX-2 had a lot of great ideas and had the best implementation of ATB. I feel like it was shortchanged because of superficial factors.

I'm somewhat glad that the "overselling" didn't happen with Bravely Default this time, as I'd somewhat expected it to. It's not that these games are bad, but they either fall short or are not the second coming that some people purport them to be.

At the same time, I love how Bravely Default plays, and while it's so so so easy to exploit, I feel like the gimmick Norende bosses make up a little for it. So I think the reception for it is in the middle. As it somewhat should be. It's not a perfect game, it's not a super-great game, but it has decent mechanics that are fun to pull off, but its pacing and structure is pretty bad, and in my books that doesn't get a free pass. I'm glad they made the fixes from the original because if they didn't, I wouldn't have wanted to go through to the finish (but I'd still do it anyway). I hate it when games obnoxiously waste my time. It might sound like I'm harsh, and according to tigger, it's what I usually do :)P), but I have to be honest and not sugarcoat/inaccurately ameliorate it.

But taste is taste, I guess. Other people won't feel the same way as I do, obviously.

I'd still recommend playing it because if you liked Final Fantasy V in any sort of capacity, you'd really like how the mechanics are handled in this game. It's pretty insane how good a lot of the fixes from the original Bravely Default are all things considered, and introduced some mechanics that I feel should be a series' staple from now on (ex: Adj enc rate, switch language (aha, yeah, I know), adj difficulty rate on the fly (though I hope someone tinkers with the difficulty settings and make them more Ys-like instead of tinkering with stats), etc).

How's Lightning Returns? I got a PS3 today. Mainly for Dark Souls 2 and Demon's Souls, but hey I'm not going to ignore a game if it's good.
I don't know how to handle this one. Part of me just wants to drop my English playthrough and do a writeup with how many issues I see with the game despite the game kind of trying. At the same time, I don't feel comfortable writing anything outside of initial impressions since I haven't gone through those dungeons that reek of awful dungeon design and seemed like they were designed by people making random maps.

And I still feel that way in my English playthrough. I don't know how to handle that game in a review/impressions sense because there are some good ideas buried underneath piles of puzzling design, some attacks feel procedural (ex: you're going to use blitz to offset the amount that stagger is decreased, you're going to use a beatdown to stagger, some enemies are weak against physicals anyway so your first attack is going to stagger, you're going to know weaknesses off the bat sometimes which leads to a stagger, you're going to perfect guard and that leads to a stagger and you're going to cap off with a heavier attack and a launch in order to juggle to get rid of the enemy faster than you could in FF13 because I feel like the game can be unbalanced a little in the damage department). It feels a lot like a one-person Final Fantasy XIII, and the only time when I feel like the battle system isn't putting me to sleep is when I have guest characters in my party like the Chocobo or Fang. That's the thing. Character action games have some randomization associated with battles, yet this game feels so... procedural. There are a lot of times I wish I could equip more than three schemata because I feel so restricted sometimes with only 12 abilities to my disposal. When some of the attacks and spells have different effects (ie: some are AoE, some turn into -a spells when they're used consecutively, some are beatdowns, some stall the stagger meter, some increase the stagger meter in some instances, etc), and I want to play around with that? It kinda sucks that I can't go into one battle and play around a bit instead of using maybe six outfits in one battle and playing around with the passive/active abilities in one single battle. It just takes more time to deconstruct battles.

...And the battles barely matter unless you're restoring your EP or getting drops for fetch quests on the bulletin board/some NPC sidequests.

I don't feel like the battle system is that great because I kinda feel bored while playing it, haha. I can get out of battles unscathed easy because it's a matter of Perfect Guarding and a lot of the time, it's not that difficult to do based on frame judgement (and the fact that a lot of enemies move slowly). I also hate that they didn't bother to refine the framerate in the English version (esp. in the Wildlands because that stuff triggers my motion sickness).

However, I feel like the customization system is great. It kinda sucks that you have to look around for additional attacks and spells, but at the same time, it's great that you can pull off a multitude of combinations with any outfit. Kinda sucks that some outfits are palette swaps of other outfits (ex: Ignition is a swap of Heartstealer), but each outfit has some passives skills and active skills associated with them that at the moment, I don't think there is just one or three garbs I'm just relying on. They have different animations, different frame counts, recharge faster than others, have different ATB initial counts, etc. That's why I'm lamenting that I can't use more than three in battle. I'd like more of a variety to use because they are all different.

I like that the concepts of religion and different allegiances are a focal point in some aspects of the game. At the same time, although one aspect of it is somewhat explored in-depth in the Luxerion quest and maybe a little in the Wilderness quest, I still feel like elements of it were lacking. This was the game that really should have dealt with that aspect considering there are many different gods/goddesses in these games' mythos, and it's disappointing to me how they were explored. I haven't done Dead Dunes yet (not even in my JP playthrough) so I don't know if that's changed.

I still can't help but to be reminded a lot of the AC games when I play this. Whenever I plain look at it, there are elements of design from AC games in terms of aesthetics or what things Lightning can do in the city (except for killing NPCs and then being chastised for it). Even right down to some NPC aesthetic, lol. But it's unrefined.

I don't hate the game because I think there are some good ideas that just got buried by weird, weird design or inefficiencies in the game engine. At the same time, it's just... I don't know what to say about the game. I feel like I like some ideas and in some other areas it falls short. It's mediocre, much like its sister games are. It has some stuff that the sister games don't have and should have elements that its sister games have. I didn't like FFXIII-2 that much, but I was more invested in that game's story/characters than I feel like I'm being invested here. That game's characterization/narrative felt more consistent than LR's.

I have someone telling me to just get the game done and not to platinum it until the summer, and I think I might take that advice, lol.

I know ULTROS! and I were eager to look at the trophy lists for both FFX and FFX-2. I might only do the FFX-2 platinum and leave the FFX plat out to dry because I haaaate the chocobo quest sooooo muuuuuuch. Worst! People complain about blitzball but it's really the chocobo stuff I haaaate. On the other hand, I never liked the Gunner's Gauntlet in FFX-2 because it was hard for me to see stuff. I dunno yet. I want to replay FFX-2. I know that much. It's one of my favourites, and I somewhat hope that the reception for it this time around is a little loftier? I guess? FFX-2 had a lot of great ideas and had the best implementation of ATB. I feel like it was shortchanged because of superficial factors.

Having not experience the international version of either, this HD collection should be the best time to squeeze out all that "new" content. I'm compelled to platinum both, but it all depends time over the coming months. Blitzball never bothered me much, but dodging seagulls on a chocobos will be the true test of patience, what a pain. Now that it has been a decade since FFX and FFX-2, I's curious to see how people feel about both. FFX in light of FFXIII's linearity, and FFX-2 just because I feel like people kinda shrugged it off. Sure, it was kinda silly watching YRP save the world by changing their wardrobe mid battle, but it arguably has the best ATB system in the whole series.

CorvoSol

Schala suffering through LR is the only thing to have piqued my interest in the game. I hope this sucker tanks soon so I can buy it at the same slashed price I bought XIII-2, because I really want to know how truly awful it is for myself, but in the meantime, I guess I'll just stick to avoiding spoilers.

Levyne

Banned
Schala suffering through LR is the only thing to have piqued my interest in the game. I hope this sucker tanks soon so I can buy it at the same slashed price I bought XIII-2, because I really want to know how truly awful it is for myself, but in the meantime, I guess I'll just stick to avoiding spoilers.

This is where I sit, except I have showered myself in spoilers >_>

I can't resist.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Eh I just spoiled everything to see if there was anything about GILGAMESH. He got a funky new slightly bad mega funny version of his theme. So props to me I guess.

Wazzy

Banned

I uh made a thread asking what blended water tastes like because my friend asked and I thought it was a dumb question. The thread then kept getting locked and unlocked and the mods started editing the title and posts with a glitch look so people didn't know what was going on. :lol the dog is from a picture of a friend and we thought the dog looked hilarious so someone here made that transparent head and the mods decided to add it in.

I'm somewhat glad that the "overselling" didn't happen with Bravely Default this time, as I'd somewhat expected it to. It's not that these games are bad, but they either fall short or are not the second coming that some people purport them to be.

At the same time, I love how Bravely Default plays, and while it's so so so easy to exploit, I feel like the gimmick Norende bosses make up a little for it. So I think the reception for it is in the middle. As it somewhat should be. It's not a perfect game, it's not a super-great game, but it has decent mechanics that are fun to pull off, but its pacing and structure is pretty bad, and in my books that doesn't get a free pass. I'm glad they made the fixes from the original because if they didn't, I wouldn't have wanted to go through to the finish (but I'd still do it anyway). I hate it when games obnoxiously waste my time. It might sound like I'm harsh, and according to tigger, it's what I usually do :)P), but I have to be honest and not sugarcoat/inaccurately ameliorate it.

But taste is taste, I guess. Other people won't feel the same way as I do, obviously.

I'd still recommend playing it because if you liked Final Fantasy V in any sort of capacity, you'd really like how the mechanics are handled in this game. It's pretty insane how good a lot of the fixes from the original Bravely Default are all things considered, and introduced some mechanics that I feel should be a series' staple from now on (ex: Adj enc rate, switch language (aha, yeah, I know), adj difficulty rate on the fly (though I hope someone tinkers with the difficulty settings and make them more Ys-like instead of tinkering with stats), etc).
I agree. The game isn't gods gift or anything but it's fun and so far seems pretty good. Surprisingly, I thought many people did praise it too highly but since reading the America thread it's a lot more balanced and neutral discussion which is pretty cool.

I'm very interested by this drop off. I'm still only on chapter 1 but I think I'm almost done. My reaction might end up being like the dogs.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
frightening returns

why schala

whyyyyy
Legit the best messages I've gotten on PSN all week:

xgcfjpr88joc.png

(First message was from coldman, lol)

Levyne

Banned
I'm playing Remember Me right now, speaking of bad games. Yuck. Thanks PS+.

On topic, will be interesting to see at the first major price drop the opinions of people who grab LR then. Seeing how that group of people would (generally) be going in with lower expectations compared to (most) people who got it at launch. Could lowered expectations make the response actually more positive?

Either that or we just justify waiting by harping on it without remorse, validating our thrifty patience.

Noi

I spent 2 hours in line at PAX East '13 waiting to play a demo of Remember Me.

It was 2 hours of my life that I'll never get back.

Levyne

Banned
Once I finish I'll make a Lttp thread unless I see another relevant one.

Basically, outside of combat, so far it's a non game for the most part. You move from room to room with no real chance at any any sort of fail state, if that makes sense. You follow arrow indicators on /every/ ledge. Early on you unlock the ability to...press two shoulder buttons to open a door ( after this point doors between rooms that previously would have been open are now closed! Now you periodically have to tap the shoulder buttons when you see the appropriate indicator! ) Then you unlock the ability to tap two /different/ shoulder buttons to, like, turn on fans and lights and stuff. Tap those when you see that indicator!

Unlocked the ability recently to " move" stuff, which basically means you tap two shoulder buttons and hold the stick (only one possible direction). Before where you opened, for instance, garage doors by tapping shoulder buttons, now you open them by holding the buttons /and holding the stick up/ ( it's a garage door so of course it's up). This also has its own indicator.

It's basically indicators, the game.

Um. There's more but I'll save it.

I accept this suicide pact, Tiggerkiddo, and I will expect it to be honored several months hence.

Suicide pact?! The NeoGAF TOS said nothing about this...

Oh well, time to give into peer pressure to look cool.

*Sets The Police - King of Pain on repeat while waiting patiently for Lightning Returns to hit bargain bin prices *

CorvoSol

The Cult of Schala is prepared. We eagerly await the bargain bin blessing of our bad game goddess to usher in a new age of pain and prosperity for profane language.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Only SonicGAF is allowed to play bad games.

...wait, no! Just stop playing those games! Ignore the first part!
How come you never say that whenever I stream shitty games for you guys?

On-topic: I finally made it to that dungeon I didn't do in my JP playthrough in Lightning Returns. One of them that reeks of bad dungeon design. I wonder if it's as bad as I saw it being/how everyone says it is.

Aeana

I managed to finish the first day of Lightning Returns and it's on the back burner indefinitely. I intend to go back to it someday, but for now I have Donkey Kongggg.

Honestly, my main worry about LR ended up being true, and it's bummed me out. Combat in FF13 was boring if you didn't have a full party, and the changes they made in LR didn't go far enough to make it fun.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I managed to finish the first day of Lightning Returns and it's on the back burner indefinitely. I intend to go back to it someday, but for now I have Donkey Kongggg.

Honestly, my main worry about LR ended up being true, and it's bummed me out. Combat in FF13 was boring if you didn't have a full party, and the changes they made in LR didn't go far enough to make it fun.
Wait, I wasn't the only person who thought that combat wouldn't be that great if Lightning was the only party member? I'd felt that way for a while but I didn't voice it. I thought the combat and combat pacing in LR improved when I had Fang or my Chocobo buddy in combat because it was much faster and easier to Stagger opponents and take care of more than one thing. And you got out of battles faster with more than one person.

I just don't know about this game (ie: I'm not sure what to think). It feels incredibly awkward quite often, and now that I'm getting further in my playthrough than before, I feel a little pressured to meet time constraints. I didn't feel that way when I played Majora's Mask because I could rewind the clock infinitely if I made scheduling errors. In this game, there are some sidequests available immediately the day after you finish one area's main quest and you fail it if you don't keep at them. Or some NPCs seem to have odd times when they appear and they aren't consistent. Or something else. I don't feel like the scheduling is consistent or player-friendly enough to keep at it.

I dislike its structure a lot. The Snow quest in Yusnaan is the only one that I felt they put some effort into and it felt decently-structured with respect to time constraints (because it's mired in sidequests and it's basically linearly structured so you complete all of the sidequests and the main quest itself in one night. That was a nice one even if part of it consisted of fetch quests. That was the strongest quest string to me.

Oh well. FFX-2 is out next month. That'll be fun.

Seda

Wait, I wasn't the only person who thought that combat wouldn't be that great if Lightning was the only party member?

I've been saying this since the reveal! Single character ATB seemed awkward right away. I haven't played it yet though so I'll refrain from further comment

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've been saying this since the reveal! Single character ATB seemed awkward right away. I haven't played it yet though so I'll refrain from further comment
I actually find it momentously boring. A lot of those no-damage/no EP runs are easy to pull off, since frame-timing isn't that hard to do. A lot of the characters move slowly or predictably enough to do evades or perfect guards.

Battles seem to benefit a lot from having other allies in your party at times, so I'm not entirely sure why they went this route. One party member buffs you in one area, and the other casts Commando spells/debuffs in the other and it's incredibly beneficial and makes combat pacing work.

I know Noi and I were saying for a while to each other that it seemed a lot like a one-party member FF13 and it certainly feels as though it's the case. And FFXIII's and FFXIII-2's battle systems only worked because of the keyword in its name (also when the enemies were harder, but I digress).

CorvoSol

Isn't it a given that 13's combat system would be boring with just one player? I mean how fun were single character paradigm decks in FF13 themselves?

Labadal

Put in a couple of hours of Type-0. Not a clue what I'm doing but I'm not dying. Can't wait for the translation. Haven't touched Bravely Default for a couple of days. I do like the game, but after reaching chapter 6, I have been taking breaks every now and then. I expect the chapter to go by very quickly, already four bosses downed in about 30 minutes. Using the lame ninja trick. I'm mostly doing these fights for the story bits.

Heropon

Put in a couple of hours of Type-0. Not a clue what I'm doing but I'm not dying. Can't wait for the translation. Haven't touched Bravely Default for a couple of days. I do like the game, but after reaching chapter 6, I have been taking breaks every now and then. I expect the chapter to go by very quickly, already four bosses downed in about 30 minutes. Using the lame ninja trick. I'm mostly doing these fights for the story bits.

That's exactly the point where I started to play Grandia. That second half really felt like a chore and left a sour taste in me and now when I look back at that game I don't have many positive memories about it. It's pretty sad because I love job systems and I'm awaiting eagerly the international version of FFX-2 next month.

I also want to play Lightning Returns when its price is laughably low. That game can't burn me if it's cold and buried.

I game over'd all the time in FFXIII

I found myself seeing the game over screen a few too many times as well. Though it was because I skipped fighting enemies and didn't want to grind till I beat the game so I could have access to a level 10 Crystarium. Thank goodness for Growth Egg after that horrible Neochu fight, made grinding so much easier. Part of me wants to go back and platinum it, but I need space from that game...

Oh well. FFX-2 is out next month. That'll be fun.

And though I know
The world of real emotion has surrounded me
I won't give in to it
Now I know that forward is the only way my heart can go
I hear your voice calling out to me
You'll never be alone

What can I do for you?

I find it hard trying not to smirk or smile whenever I watch the FFX-2 intro - Real Emotion. I loved it, but it's kinda silly - such a guilty pleasure. Can't get this song out of my head now.

I would pay 10 bucks in monopoly money.

And I would still think long and hard about it.

Lol.

Seda

I completed Bravely Default and I'm not sure what do spend time on this weekend. Maybe I'll finally get around to that Lightning Returns demo. Do you 'unlock' anything in the retail game from the demo?

I completed Bravely Default and I'm not sure what do spend time on this weekend. Maybe I'll finally get around to that Lightning Returns demo. Do you 'unlock' anything in the retail game from the demo?

You can get an outfit for the game if you get enough high scores I believe.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If you play the demo, you get some outfit I don't remember. If you upload your score from fighting Zaltys to twitter/facebook, you'll also get access to the Sigfried outfit.

Some of Lightning Returns's dungeons and how they're designed are... weird. I feel like the Temple of the Goddess dungeon is worse than the Sand Dunes one since you constantly lose HP there and you have to deal with a bad encounter rate. They're both kinda bad. Sand Dunes has design that looks really good on paper (heck when I saw the map for the first time on the JP wiki, I thought, "well, that's neat", and then seeing someone play through it was just like "no"), but it's not that great in execution. Like, for one treasure, if I wanted to get it, I'd have to wait for the doors to open, wait an hour for the other doors to open, then wait another hour to get out. That's wasting time and battles are meaningless outside of drops. Would've been worth it if battles were more beneficial outside of killing a bunch of dudes for Last Ones.

I dislike the platforming in this game unless you're on chocobo. The jumps have no natural lift to them and the animations feel weird as a result. It's just like how dumb the platforming sections and platforming animations in FFXIII-2 were.

Edit: The platforming in the Temple of the Goddess dungeon is bullshit, man. No lift to these jumps.

I find it hard trying not to smirk or smile whenever I watch the FFX-2 intro - Real Emotion. I loved it, but it's kinda silly - such a guilty pleasure. Can't get this song out of my head now.
Not directed to you by any means, but thinking about it... People praise the Tales games so much despite them being anime up the wazoo, yet they can't forgive FFX-2 for having two insert songs sung by one person who wasn't even Yuna, and the second song actually having a stronger-told love story without text than FFX's own love story. Weird to me.

Am I the only one finding LR battles a bit challenging then? That doesn't fill me with gamer-confidence...
For what it's worth, people tell me I play games differently from everyone else on this site all the time. Or I approach them differently, I dunno.

Top Bottom