• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Personally, I was fine with Tidus. Sure he was whiny at times, but I would be too If my dad was an alcoholic jerk and I was thrown 1000 years into the future. Also, maybe it was because I could kinda relate to his parental issues. Not the whole my-dad-is-a-giant-whale-of-death-that-threatens-humanity, but the parent-child dynamic of having to live up to the high expectations a parent has set. Accompanied by the fears and insecurities of not being able to live up to them. Tidus' need to surpass his father's legacy, and his fears of forever being overshadowed by it, was an interesting take on the protagonist-antagonist relationship. That same theme applies to Yuna, daughter of Braska. Her father, the summoner wildly regarded by all of Spira. Tough act to follow.

kurbaan

Banned
I'm talking about the PS1 and SNES versions, I don't think they hold up. The DS and GBA versions are superior. Things like the Augment System and a visible ATB just made those games more playable in my opinion. Tiny additions I know, but they meant a lot to me.

Most recently I played the PSP version and it has the ATB bars. Haven't played the snes ones in so long forgot it was never there.

Levyne

Banned

Well put. I'd comment further but I haven't re played the game in over 5 years or so. Typically story details escape me pretty damn fast. I'll wait for the HD re-release to see how I feel about it now, definitely older and hopefully wiser. Even though the "daddy issues" don't resonate with me at all (I have an excellent relationship with my father), I don't really feel that it was done that poorly. At least that's the takeaway I've held onto without going back to it to reevaluate. Thoughmy impression of the voice work in general has soured as I've gotten used to more frequent and higher quality localization efforts since this game's release. At the time, though, I loved them. I thought Tidus sounded so cool. I was a dumb middle schooler.

addik

Not sure if it has been posted here (tried googling, found nothing), but apparently a couple tied the knot here and had a Final Fantasy-themed wedding.

Viral: Cosplay-themed Wedding in Quezon City

I find the concept a bit tacky but I was completely sold on that adorbz Vivi cosplay and that adorbz Palom and Porom.

Edit: Found more pictures here. I have to say that some of the costumes were well-done.

Oh, and no Lightning to all FFXIII haters.

Levyne

Banned
Final Fantasy

and Darth Vader.
KuGsj.gif

Hyunashi

Not sure if it has been posted here (tried googling, found nothing), but apparently a couple tied the knot here and had a Final Fantasy-themed wedding.

Viral: Cosplay-themed Wedding in Quezon City

I find the concept a bit tacky but I was completely sold on that adorbz Vivi cosplay and that adorbz Palom and Porom.

Edit: Found more pictures here. I have to say that some of the costumes were well-done.

Oh, and no Lightning to all FFXIII haters.

Just seeing those pictures reminds me of how glorious Lionheart looked.

Labadal

FF TYPE-0... Screw SE for not releasing this in the wast. I'm playing it on PPSSPP in anticipation for the fan translation and really liking it.

CorvoSol

How do you feel about Tidus?

He's okay. Being a whiny bitch at first contrasts the way he is when he mans up.

None of those opinions are that rare. Even I can admit Lightning wasn't that bad in XIII. Serah is decent in XIII-2 but she doesn't hold a candle to Noel.

Also i wish serah and Noel had hooked up

FF TYPE-0... Screw SE for not releasing this in the wast. I'm playing it on PPSSPP in anticipation for the fan translation and really liking it.

Love this game so much.

Ugh, I didn't even want to do this. Well, here we go.

SO... Lightning in Lightning Returns.

She has no new character development. I say no "new" character development because the development she has is a shittier version of her XIII arc. The whole Lumina, God tearing her emotions away from her, "accept myself" crap is redundant as fuck. We learned nothing about Lightning that we didn't already know in any of the cutscenes. Honestly, the whole game is full of redundant plot points as if the writing staff is saying "Okay stupid shits, need us to spell it out anymore for you?" There are multiple times in the game where the same information is told in back to back cutscenes in the most obvious way possible. The entire Wildlands dungeon was basically a rehash of XIII-2's "Beyond the Void" section. It's just this time, rather than getting new information, Yuel pops up every so often to tell you what you already know. Beyond that, we have excessive recycling of plot points with Sazh being a hilarious case as he, once again, has Dajh as a motivation. Seriously, all three games have had nothing but Dajh needing to be saved as his motivation.

But back to Lightning: She's inconsistent to the max. A quarter of the time she keeps up that "I'm emotionless" gig giving her an absolute monotone performance from Hillis, a quarter of the time she's in melodramatic overtures, and the other half the time is a weird mixture causing a horrible dissonance. She talks about being able to easy cast aside her humanity to save Serah at all costs, even if that means killing all her friends to do so in the same way one would talk about what they had for breakfast. She does the same thing with Snow, only a few minutes later she giving him MOTHER FUCKING FRIENDSHIP PUNCHES while nearly on the verge of breaking down. When ever Serah comes up, she drives home the fact that "she means nothing to me anymore. I feel nothing." Then why the fuck does she have any motivation to save her? Seriously, she makes it very clear that she wants nothing else but to save Serah but then in the same breathe says she is no longer able to give a flying shit about her. She feels nothing (or so the game tries to pound in your head even though it constantly contradicts that point), she needs nothing, and she wants nothing. How the fuck is anyone supposed to relate to that?

And about the side quests: some people keep saying "Well, it's self aware so it's good". For me, the self-aware humor only serves to exacerbate the core problem as it draws attention to the undeniable truth that there is nothing to Lightning's character in this game that is remotely consistent or relatable. She's inconsistent, she's hilariously dissonant, she's lost character development, and she's been boiled down to the most basic elements of her beginning XIII self without anything that made her Lightning. So yeah, when the self-aware humor comes in, I might get a chuckle if I don't roll my eyes first, but it's more of a rueful chuckle as I agree with the sentiment and look fondly back at her XIII arc. Where is her warmth? Where is her ability to feel other people's emotions? Where is more light hearted side that we began seeing on Gran Pulse and that we saw in the novellas? It's there... maybe 45% of the time, but the other 55% of the time she may as well be a completely different character.

I don't know, maybe I'm missing the point. Maybe I just don't "get it". And maybe my entire character study of Lightning was completely wrong. I'm just... disappointed with how Lightning in Lightning Returns unfolded.

Ultratech

With all this talk about XIII, I feel slightly better for not having played it with everything I keep reading about it.

(In other news, I really should get a PS3. Badly.)

injurai

Banned

I'm pretty sure they are porting it or recreating it for some other platform. Hopefully vita, but I could see them trying to get it on 3DS or mobile as well.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm not so hot on FFType-0. I think it has a myriad of issues (especially gameplay and balancing issues). Odd design issues everywhere with little depth in combat. If you get a Kill Sight/Break Sight, which isn't very hard to do, battles go very quickly and have little depth. I actually feel like the game has less depth than FF13, given that things are so easy to do and the variances in weapon skill probably won't matter as long as you hit your Kill Sight (easier to do when you have ranged attacks all over the place--there are certain characters who can naturally break some difficulty given their skillsets and animation speeds). With that said, I feel like the balancing throughout the game is all over the place, which is something a little consistent with Crisis Core and T3B, so it was somewhat expected. The RTS missions are worse than Suikoden V's, and that's a special kind of bad.

I also felt like this was more ideal for a platform with two analog sticks than the PSP. The PSP controls are a bit annoying for me. Especially when some commands are mapped to the same areas and you should probably make your hand out like a claw to open the SO menu or something like that.

Outside of Nayuta no Kiseki, Final Fantasy Type-0 is one of the best-looking games on the system.

I really don't like that you have to play through it twice to get the full story, either, even if the narrative is a little interesting.

But whatever, my opinion's one out of many. I think Bebpo, and now me since I went through it a few weeks ago, were the only folks to express those sorts of grievances with it. I'm pretty sure a lot of other people will like it. I'm picky, you see.

I'm sorry but Noel/Serah with their non chemistry worked better than Serah and Snow lol
I remember back when we were hoping for an NTR scenario and it never happened. Plus it riled a lot of people up, haha.

Aeana

I had similar issues with Type-0, but I didn't bother voicing them because I didn't really want to get embroiled in an argument at the time. Type-0 is a fairly undercooked game with some great ideas... and that's why I was so interested in a Type-1 or something.

I did play it again recently on Vita and the second stick really helped a lot.

Labadal

I'm not so hot on FFType-0. I think it has a myriad of issues (especially gameplay and balancing issues). Odd design issues everywhere with little depth in combat. If you get a Kill Sight/Break Sight, which isn't very hard to do, battles go very quickly and have little depth. I actually feel like the game has less depth than FF13, given that things are so easy to do and the variances in weapon skill probably won't matter as long as you hit your Kill Sight (easier to do when you have ranged attacks all over the place--there are certain characters who can naturally break some difficulty given their skillsets and animation speeds). With that said, I feel like the balancing throughout the game is all over the place, which is something a little consistent with Crisis Core and T3B, so it was somewhat expected. The RTS missions are worse than Suikoden V's, and that's a special kind of bad.

I also felt like this was more ideal for a platform with two analog sticks than the PSP. The PSP controls are a bit annoying for me. Especially when some commands are mapped to the same areas and you should probably make your hand out like a claw to open the SO menu or something like that.

Outside of Nayuta no Kiseki, Final Fantasy Type-0 is one of the best-looking games on the system.

I really don't like that you have to play through it twice to get the full story, either, even if the narrative is a little interesting.

But whatever, my opinion's one out of many. I think Bebpo, and now me since I went through it a few weeks ago, were the only folks to express those sorts of grievances with it. I'm pretty sure a lot of other people will like it. I'm picky, you see.

I remember back when we were hoping for an NTR scenario and it never happened. Plus it riled a lot of people up, haha.

I have only played it for an hour or so. I'm sure I will find issues with the game. I'm already expecting the strategy parts to be crap (from watching YouTube videos). I have no doubt the combat system will feel repetitive and easy to abuse in your favor. I have also read about some annoying unwinnable battles and some other things I will not like. I'm not a fan of the time limit and I know "towns" are not really towns.

Why I have been so excited about this is the setting and story. I think it will easily beat FFXIII in that department.

To be real honest, a lot of the complaints about FFXIII could also be used for Type-0, like the levels are very linear, but so far I'm enjoying it.

Oh, and the extra analog stick makes it so much easier to play than when I tried it on my PSP. My hand actually hurt while trying to fight and control the camera at the same time.

injurai

Banned
How was it received in Japan? It seemed to me SE was hinting that they weren't ignoring the demand for it. If it was recognized as half-baked there maybe they are trying to create a definitive edition for the west? Guess I'm just trying to wish these sentiments as of now.

Levyne

Banned
I actually like games where the male and female leads don't pair up, in general.

Crimson, you've actually got me MORE interested in lightning returns with that post. Soon. Just waiting for a cheaper copy.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I had similar issues with Type-0, but I didn't bother voicing them because I didn't really want to get embroiled in an argument at the time. Type-0 is a fairly undercooked game with some great ideas... and that's why I was so interested in a Type-1 or something.

Huh, I didn't know you had issues with it at the time outside of the RTS parts.

A lot of the ideas with respect to different character battle animations, subquests within main missions, some of the "surprises" you could find within missions by fulfilling certain time requirements, and magic having five different attack patterns (making positioning matter more) were very good. It's just a shame that parts of the game simply didn't let stuff like that shine. Trinity Attacks are pretty neat, which could render summons even more useless, but once you get a Kill Sight or a Break Sight, sometimes they don't really matter.

It's a little too bad because they'd delayed the game for a bit to iron some kinks out after the first demo, and I'd like to see a further game in the subseries that improves on the balancing, storytelling, world map execution, quest design, and others things while taking out the RTS bits because I don't think a lot of people liked those. I'd like to reduce the overreliance on Kill Sights/Break Sights, too. They make the game far too easy and reduce the depth in combat which could have explored why animation frames are important, why the base weapons have certain advantages while others don't, and why using magic in a certain why is better than using it in another.

Shame I have a UMD copy instead. I would've bought it to play on Vita for the second analog stick/remapping.

How was it received in Japan?
Can't speak for how it was received for the entirety of Japan, but on mk2, it was mixed: http://pspmk2.net/title.php?title=1155

To be real honest, a lot of the complaints about FFXIII could also be used for Type-0, like the levels are very linear, but so far I'm enjoying it.
Actually, I feel like the linear design in missions work because they're missions, and they're timed. If they consisted of huge mazes a la an Assassin's Creed game, or something, I don't think it'd work as well since either the timer would have to go up (which makes missions longer and considering the game was about ad-hoc multiplayer anyway, it would increase the chances of drop-in/drop-out, maybe), or mission constraints would probably be stricter.

I don't particularly like it, but in terms of design, it works.

But I do think some of the issues that FF13 had could be applied to Type-0, too.

CorvoSol

I actually agree with a lot of the criticism launched toward the game, but I still think it's pretty damn good and eagerly anticipate playing it in English. Magius and I have talked before about how much of the game got cut and how we wished a Final Mix fleshing it out were to happen.

While I acknowledge that no small amount of love is lavished on it for being a good Final Fantasy in an era where such a concept is rare, I do still think it's a pretty solid game.

You can do UMD Passport with Type-0 and get a digital version for 500 yen.

Is there any way to do this if my account is not Japanese? I legally own the game and would kill to have it on Vita.

Aeana

Is there any way to do this if my account is not Japanese? I legally own the game and would kill to have it on Vita.

No, it's only available on JPSN. You can switch your Vita's account, but it's a bit of a pain and it works best if you have multiple memory cards.

CorvoSol

No, it's only available on JPSN. You can switch your Vita's account, but it's a bit of a pain and it works best if you have multiple memory cards.

Sounds like too much work. Man, I'd love to see this game on my Vita. It's not the best FF, but I have a soft spot for it. Cuz I loved Crisis Core, and Type-0 really comes across as Crisis Core 2.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Type 0 has it's flaws and has signs of evidence that it was a rushed product. Still a decent game though. I was also looking forward to the next Type game. Instead people can look forward to Agito. I doubt it will be as grand as Type 0. Not sure how it will play.

CorvoSol

Type 0 has it's flaws and has signs of evidence that it was a rushed product. Still a decent game though. I was also looking forward to the next Type game. Instead people can look forward to Agito. I doubt it will be as grand as Type 0. Not sure how it will play.

Confession time!

I actually am looking forward to playing Agito. I like Type-0, so I'll take more of it, even if it is kinda odd.

I find it crazy that Type-0 started as Final Fantasy Agito XIII, a mobile game. Changes it's title to Final Fantasy Type-0 and is released on the PSP. Now a mobile game called Final Fantasy Agito that features characters from Final Fantasy Type-0 is being developed. Talk about coming full circle.

CorvoSol

I find it crazy that Type-0 started as Final Fantasy Agito XIII, a mobile game. Changes it's title to Final Fantasy Type-0 and is released on the PSP. Now a mobile game called Final Fantasy Agito that features characters from Final Fantasy Type-0 is being developed. Talk about coming full circle.

In fairness, mobile phone tech's come a long way since 2006, and the market has expanded significantly.

So, in a rare moment of positive words about Square's mobile gaming stuff, I recently picked up Chaos Rings, and it doesn't seem that bad yet.

In fairness, mobile phone tech's come a long way since 2006, and the market has expanded significantly.

So, in a rare moment of positive words about Square's mobile gaming stuff, I recently picked up Chaos Rings, and it doesn't seem that bad yet.

Definitely, mobile phone technology has indeed come a long way since the 2006 E3 reveal of Final Fantasy Agito XIII. Now, mobiles are where it's at when it comes to reaching mass markets and raking in the big bucks. So I'm not surprised they are creating a mobile Final Fantasy Agito since it was originally conceived as a mobile game. And Square sure does loves putting out games on phones, that's for sure.

I'm still pretty excited for Type-0's English fan translation patch. Though I still need a copy and CFW for my PSP. lol... I should get on that.

CorvoSol

You guys' issues with Type 0 scare me...

To be perfectly honest the only part of the game I didn't like was the RTS segments. Everything else felt like a pretty solid ARPG FF game. Sure, there was no difficulty at some points, but then, that's a complaint you can lodge with pretty much every entry in this series that isn't FF2 or Tokita's Difficulty Jerk-off Bonanza known as The After Years. Yes, balancing 14 PCs can be a chore, but that wasn't enough to prevent VI or T from being great. Some maps can be sparse, that's true.

But really, the RTS segments were the only thing I felt were undeniably bad. They're a cool idea, but they were hands down the bad part of the game.

There are a couple of other things
like the videos that are relegated to the Crimson Codex
that I'd like changed, but eh, what FF is without faults?

It's hard for me to be completely unbiased, though, because I legit love the game's presentation, and because I tend to only really compare it to two to three other games: Crisis Core, The Third Birthday, and Birth By Sleep. The last one is a bit of an odd man out, and I have no justifications there. The other two make sense, because this game has a fair amount of gameplay in common with them. Seen as the third is a sort of trilogy of Tabata directed games, there's considerable improvement from Crisis Core to The Third Birthday to Type-0. The game allows for a great deal more freedom of play, especially on subsequent playthroughs, and the, shall we say, scope or ambition of Type-0 compared to Crisis Core and The Third Birthday is much, much larger. It certainly is rough around the edges, but the progression of these games is fairly clear, I think.

And, having followed Tabata and Nomura's games pretty avidly for a good while now, I think things like Type-0 and Birth By Sleep are two very good reasons to be excited for XV, in an era where concrete reasons to feel that way are still pretty scarce.

I hope the people hailing Bravely Default as being a better FF or whatever weren't expecting an FF-tier memorable story because this is god-awful and Agnes might be one of the dumbest heroines in RPG history. And I still have 2 chapters to go.

Levyne

Banned
My brother was just explaining the story to me on the way to work and yeah, seemed a bit shoddy. Though as a secondhand account he could have framed it poorly.

The first half is okay but the second half is just a total mess. The characters' actions make absolutely no sense and the game just falls off a cliff. All those Chapter 5 horror stories anyone looking at BD threads has read about are absolutely true.

I know. I don't mind. Just curious how far away from "Versus XIII" it's gotten.

I hope it has not strayed too far from "Versus XIII" since what we know and have seen from that game was pretty interesting. But you never know. When it became FFXV I just assumed all they did was change the title and moved the whole thing to new, more powerful, consoles.

Heropon

1frgLkU.png

In an alternate world Rosa and Cecil are better characters than Yuna and Balthier.
Mental note: Do not read the Kotaku comments section anymore, it isn't healthy.

injurai

Banned
1frgLkU.png

In an alternate world Rosa and Cecil are better characters than Yuna and Balthier.
Mental note: Do not read the Kotaku comments section anymore, it isn't healthy.

I'm convinced those people are just grasping for straws in order to emphasize the tumble that Square took. They wan't that entire block just to be one big fall from grace.

aravuus

My brother was just explaining the story to me on the way to work and yeah, seemed a bit shoddy. Though as a secondhand account he could have framed it poorly.

The first half is okay but the second half is just a total mess. The characters' actions make absolutely no sense and the game just falls off a cliff. All those Chapter 5 horror stories anyone looking at BD threads has read about are absolutely true.

Phew, for a second there I thought you guys were talking about Type-0.

I can't handle it if Type-0 will be as disappointing as BD (or its latter half) was :(

Levyne

Banned
I haven't played Type-0 because I never learned japanese.

I wanted to start learning in high school, but only losers took japanese, you see. I regret thinking that way now.

Thinking of starting some self study. I understand it's extremely hard, but unlike everything else I've had to study in my life, this would impact something I'm actually interested in.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
1frgLkU.png

Someone make it stop. :mad:

Rosa's one of the worst heroines this side of Twilight.

XIII > the second half of BD. This shit is unacceptably awful.
Heh, I was waiting for someone to get to this bit.

At least the second half of BD lets you do more optional worldbuilding as a consolation. Plus you have one more job to get and an optional alternate ending!

And what was wrong with the BD story?
The tail end of BD's story is actually really neat. It's just the beginning of it that might... well...

Wilsongt

Rosa...ugh. Has no character except wanting to be attached to Cecil's hip at all times

And what was wrong with the BD story?

Rosa wasn't all bad... I guess... She was fairly flat, though. "Oh Cecil! Oh Cecil! Have my children!"

"Oh Cecil! Oh Cecil! Our child is here!"

"Oh Ceodore! Oh Ceodore! Find my husband!"

At least Kain got fleshed out quite a bit, and Golbez. Everyone else stayed pretty same-y except for maybe Palom and Edward.

Top Bottom