• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

SougoXIII

I like all the characters with the exception of Agnes. No personality, grating voice and an overall just a boring and annoying character.

Also like I said in the pokemon thread, where you beennnnnn?! You missed VIII's anniversary thread!

Sorry, I've beeeen busy :(. Can you link me to the anniversary thread?

CorvoSol

Okay I'm on Chapter 3 of BD. I wish I could push Agnes into a pit of lava.

Multiple times.

So I call Agnes Onions now, because she always sounds like she's going to cry. I'm not that far yet, but I hate that she's always like "NOOOOO DON'T JOIN MY PAAAARTY." and then "OKAY I'LL COME QUIETLY WITH THE BAD GUYS." She's like somewhere between Yuna if Yuna had no spine and Rosa if Rosa had been an annoying bitch.

The best part about Agnes is that she only gets worse.

The best character is Ringabel and it's not even close.

I kinda like Edea the most so far. Ringabel's like if Balthier wasn't cool, Tiz is Mr. Generic, Onions is Onions but I like Edea's "I betrayed my entire country and worldview because I didn't think it was right." sort of stance. Plus her voice is probably the least annoying in the party.

While I like Hillis, Bailey trumps her in every way. However, I think Bailey would default to her Helena Harper/Boss of the Saints voice for a character like Lightning and in my mind, that doesn't fit Lightning.

So, while I love Laura Bailey's voice to bits and pieces, I don't know that I'd like her as Lightning. I mean, on the one hand, Laura is VERY versatile, like the fact that she can be loveable, cute Rise Kujikawa one day and eldritch personification of annihilation Cloud of Darkness the next is to her credit.

But I feel like a lot of Laura's roles lend a "girl next door" quality to her characters. Like, Serah, Rise, and Nozomi the Photographer all have that going for them. Whereas Lightning's character, at least in the first game, and the one I really liked before she went off rails, is a lot angrier, and I think Hillis nails that. Granted Hillis herself is pretty good, too, since I didn't even realize it was her playing Burroughs in SMT4.

In my head, Lightning is a drunken cop, disenchanted with her job and disgruntled with her life. That kind of character being forced to face the Gods and fix her relationship with her sister should've been just fine.

Wazzy

Banned
So I call Agnes Onions now, because she always sounds like she's going to cry. I'm not that far yet, but I hate that she's always like "NOOOOO DON'T JOIN MY PAAAARTY." and then "OKAY I'LL COME QUIETLY WITH THE BAD GUYS." She's like somewhere between Yuna if Yuna had no spine and Rosa if Rosa had been an annoying bitch.
Accurate. It's funny because they're similar in that they're both sheltered yet Yuna's was far worse making her voice more understandable since her goal was well known to be a sacrifice compared to Agnes's role.

I kinda like Edea the most so far. Ringabel's like if Balthier wasn't cool, Tiz is Mr. Generic, Onions is Onions but I like Edea's "I betrayed my entire country and worldview because I didn't think it was right." sort of stance. Plus her voice is probably the least annoying in the party.
I'm the same. I like Edea the most. Tiz has my favourite design, though. I like Ringabel but sometimes I actually find his voice annoying. It's well done but I'm just not a fan of how he sounds.

CorvoSol

Accurate. It's funny because they're similar in that they're both sheltered yet Yuna's was far worse making her voice more understandable since her goal was well known to be a sacrifice compared to Agnes's role.

I'm the same. I like Edea the most. Tiz has my favourite design, though. I like Ringabel but sometimes I actually find his voice annoying. It's well done but I'm just not a fan of how he sounds.

Well Yuna also had a goddamn spine compared to Agnes. She was like "Yeah my lot in life is shit and it's not going to permanently solve things if I die, but if I die it'll buy people some peace and I can accept that." Agnes is just like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PEOPLE DIE BECAUSE OF MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE".

Also Yuna was like "Uh, Tidus and Auron and Rikku wanna join the party? Hell yes."

I'm really hoping Edea's treachery arc pays off.

Wazzy

Banned
Well Yuna also had a goddamn spine compared to Agnes. She was like "Yeah my lot in life is shit and it's not going to permanently solve things if I die, but if I die it'll buy people some peace and I can accept that." Agnes is just like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PEOPLE DIE BECAUSE OF MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE".

Also Yuna was like "Uh, Tidus and Auron and Rikku wanna join the party? Hell yes."

I'm really hoping Edea's treachery arc pays off.

All so true. Yuna was just so awesome about everything. Every time Agnes speaks, I want to drive a knife through my head. Better yet, let my party do it to her.

CorvoSol

No, her dying words would be "...Unacceptable!"

She'd be upset if you tried to help her, too, though. "No I can't take your sword of magic. I won't allow other objects to get involved in this conflict!"

No wonder the crystals are going out if their brides are like this.

Noi

It would take me like a month to download to whole damn thing. :/

I have some budget calculations to do and then it's back to Lightning Returnzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

It's a good thing we have two months to play it over the summer then. :V

(Buying the physical disc should install the client on the console, which only leaves updating the rest on its own.)

Wazzy

Banned
She'd be upset if you tried to help her, too, though. "No I can't take your sword of magic. I won't allow other objects to get involved in this conflict!"

No wonder the crystals are going out if their brides are like this.

I would personally hate to waste a weapon on her but I'll know that the sacrifice will be remembered forever.

Seda

I kept hoping Agnes would improve but she never really did. And I never got used to the voice either.

I did't really come to like any of the characters too much, but Ringabel was probably my favorite.

Man, that second half of the game really soured me on it. Both in its structure and its narrative.

Seda

Which one is Agnes?

Long dark hair in the front.

lNjmvhR.jpg
Not only is her voice annoying - it's a weird mix of sounding 'proper' but whiny - but she is very stubborn, a little clueless, and doesn't grow much as a character in the game. Throw some angst in there as well.

So, while I love Laura Bailey's voice to bits and pieces, I don't know that I'd like her as Lightning. I mean, on the one hand, Laura is VERY versatile, like the fact that she can be loveable, cute Rise Kujikawa one day and eldritch personification of annihilation Cloud of Darkness the next is to her credit.

But I feel like a lot of Laura's roles lend a "girl next door" quality to her characters. Like, Serah, Rise, and Nozomi the Photographer all have that going for them. Whereas Lightning's character, at least in the first game, and the one I really liked before she went off rails, is a lot angrier, and I think Hillis nails that. Granted Hillis herself is pretty good, too, since I didn't even realize it was her playing Burroughs in SMT4.

In my head, Lightning is a drunken cop, disenchanted with her job and disgruntled with her life. That kind of character being forced to face the Gods and fix her relationship with her sister should've been just fine.

Oh don't get me wrong, I really like Hillis (I like her more light-hearted roles like Palutena better, though), but to me, there's Laura Bailey/Troy Baker tier and then there's "good actor/actress" tier.

Laura Bailey, Troy Baker, Nolan North (yes, he's over used, but damn if he can't play a role), and Crispin Freeman (okay, so I'm a fanboy with his Alucard voice, so sue me) tier.

Ali Hillis, Jennifer Hale, tier

Johnny Yong Bosch tier (don't me wrong, he's a good VA, but 95% of the time he does the same exact character voice and, though not his fault, he's been type casted hardcore)

Okay Tier

David Hayter's MGS 4 and PW Snake/Boss performance tier (Good Lord).

But you're right, Lightning has an inherent anger about her character for the first few chapters, and Hillis' lower voice has this sarcastic, "Fuck off" vibe to it. Bailey's voice just doesn't lend itself to that. For XIII-2, though, she infused too much Liara in her performance. I don't hold the flowery prose stuff against her because, looking back at it, NO ONE could make that stuff sound good.

CorvoSol

All this talk about how bad Agnes is is making me curious. What's so bad about her?

I don't know if she's really bad so much as she pisses me off for doing something I hate.

For instance, if I had to name a JRPG protagonist I hate but don't consider a bad character, I'd tell you that Fei Fong Long can suck a Donkey Kong because EVERY FUCKING THING HE DOES in his game serves only to delay the inevitable. Fei's like "No I don't want to participate in the arena, Doc." and Doc makes him do it an hour later anyway. Fei's like "No I don't want to pilot a gear." and we ALL know he's going to have to do it but he delays it by another hour. He's like "No I don't WANT to help Barth save his homeland." HE DOES IT ANYWAY. Fei's like "I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!" but 2-10 hours later we wind up fucking doing it anyway. Which is part of the reason I stopped playing Xenogears.

That's Onions for you. She's like "No Tiz don't join my party. No Ringabell don't join my party. No Edea don't join my party. No Tiz don't help me on my quest." and "Oh sure I'll come along with you Four Generals. I mean you promised not to hurt more people and a bunch of blood-thirsty crooks like you are trustworthy! I mean, it's not like I was running from you up until now because you were evil or something." and "I don't trust you Edea, it's not like you just betrayed your goddamn father for me or something."

I very much hope that at some point she gets called out on it, but since Tiz is the world's biggest White Knight, and Ringabell's openly stated goal is to get laid as much as possible, the only person around to call her out on her bullshit is Edea, and then it'll just be oh ho ho lookit dem girlies havin' their girlie fights with their emotions and stuff.

I love Onions' design, but girl needs to grow a pair.

aravuus

I very much hope that at some point she gets called out on it, but since Tiz is the world's biggest White Knight, and Ringabell's openly stated goal is to get laid as much as possible, the only person around to call her out on her bullshit is Edea, and then it'll just be oh ho ho lookit dem girlies havin' their girlie fights with their emotions and stuff.

Incredibly well put lol

Tiz and Agnes are absolute shit tier protagonists, especially after certain events happen in later chapters that have you convinced you must be playing as two of the dumbest characters to ever play lead in an RPG. Ringabel and Edea end up being okay and at least have the excuse that they're being lead by two complete imbeciles.

Corvo, your desire will be filled somewhat
but it won't matter because Agnes ignores it lololololololololololollolol

Have you guys seen this before? Great stuff! Long post ahead:

Final Fantasy I said:

Final Fantasy II said:

Final Fantasy III said:

Final Fantasy IV said:

Final Fantasy V said:

Final Fantasy VI said:

Final Fantasy VII said:

Final Fantasy VIII said:

Final Fantasy IX said:

Final Fantasy X said:

Final Fantasy XI said:

Final Fantasy XII said:

Final Fantasy XIII said:

The artist's deviant page: http://hechiceroo.deviantart.com/

PK Gaming

Long dark hair in the front.

Not only is her voice annoying - it's a weird mix of sounding 'proper' but whiny - but she is very stubborn, a little clueless, and doesn't grow much as a character in the game. Throw some angst in there as well.

But her design is so good ;_;

They really screwed the pooch with her

CorvoSol

That's what I meant. Somehow I don't think that Cocoon is half the size of Pulse. Then again, perspective and all.

According to the developers it's only the size of North America if you took North America and wrapped it into a sphere. Since N.A. is one of the smaller continents, I figure Cocoon should be smaller than our own moon.

HTupolev

According to the developers it's only the size of North America if you took North America and wrapped it into a sphere. Since N.A. is one of the smaller continents, I figure Cocoon should be smaller than our own moon.
The radius of a sphere with the surface area of North America is 1402.24km.

Which is ~.81 moon radii.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
We all strive to be like you
Nah, then your mood would be really sour and you'd start being snippy.

Actually what happened with Lightning Returns on Sunday was interesting because it had never happened before. I play a lot of crap. But on Sunday I was feeling really annoyed and miserable with that game because I was like, "this game could be so much better but it's not! It's a jumble of stuff mashed together without any cohesion or decent manner of actual overall game design that it's annoying the crap out of me!" I was getting pretty annoyed, which doesn't usually happen. Even when I'm playing true kusoge. Then someone had to step in, give me a break, and we made light of the game together at once. It felt nice.

I think I realized what the issue truly was, though. When I play a shitty game, I know it's a shitty game. If it's on the Kusoge of the Year list, then I'm going in with the mindset that it's a bad game. I didn't have a lot of expectations for LR. My bar was pretty low, to be honest. But even then! I legitimately could not understand why some things are designed the way they are in that game. It just irritated me further when I finished the main quests and had tons of in-game time to do fetchquests (and you guys know how much I love those) or exterminate monsters (battles don't seem to matter outside of drops). It's so tedious and it utterly wastes my time as a player. So it's more like I know they can do so much better with this game, design this game to make it more player-friendly and more palatable to users, respect the player's time, among other things. Because this series has done it before. It's amazing how it went from tighter game design in even 13-2 (where I didn't think the game was that cohesive) to... whatever gobbledygook in Lightning Returns. Wanna try something new? Keep it in the oven a bit longer to refine it as opposed to pushing it out within a year or two of announcing it.

I don't get it. That's why I got really annoyed on Sunday and someone felt the need to say, "hey, let's do this together instead of you going at it alone." LR is more disappointing to me, to be honest, as opposed to being considered a bad game. I don't think it's Kusoge of the Year calibre. I think it's a poorly-designed game with some bad dungeon design, silly platforming which told me they didn't learn from 13-2's faux-pas with it, feels restricting, has some weird pacing, boringly-paced combat because it's basically FF13 but with one party member and less skills to go around, etc.

The only part of the game I legitimately enjoyed was the Yusnaan bit because it seemed like the strongest-designed part of the game with a lot of the main quest and involved subquests being designed to take place over the course of one day and one night. Designed well while keeping in mind what the player can do (Chronostasis, spells in possession, etc) and what they cannot do.

And now I'm playing DQ7 instead. I feel better.

So... no. Playing only bad games isn't beneficial at all. It just puts you in a bad mood.

Top Bottom