• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You should make more FF sprite comics, Dark Schala. :p

Too bad I don't really recall any stupid moments in FFV and FFVI.
And some of the silly moments in FFV and FFVI are sometimes self-aware, so it's hard to make fun of them. D:

FFIV is just really easy to make fun of.

FFVII is easy to make fun of, but then it has moments like this where it just pokes fun at itself:

RC63b.gif

:lol

jaxword

You should make more FF sprite comics, Dark Schala. :p

Too bad I don't really recall any stupid moments in FFV and FFVI.

Gau, the ridiculous scene with Relm and Ultros, the Swooning scene...

You can find silliness in every FF if you look hard enough. :)

Neki

I never really understood Ultros as a kid.

and I still don't understand him as an adult.

what a character he is, lol.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Ultros is definitely incomprehensible.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Am I a bad person for liking Final Fantasy II? Serious question.

A lot of people I know say it sucks, but on the other hand, a lot of people haven't played it because they heard it sucks. Or they didn't play it the way it was meant to be played (ie: not hitting your party members to level up). Sure, the system is flawed and easily broken, but I enjoyed it. But it isn't fun to beat up on your party members for most of the game because it gets boring, and sometimes doing this raises your stats disproportionally.

I mostly like it for its plot, though. It introduces a few musical themes (chocobo theme), traditions, and plot elements (death, war, betrayal, mission failure, etc) to the series. I think it's the FF that benefitted the most from later ports/remakes... and that it unfairly gets a lot of hate.

Oh, and the music is awesome.

Snake

Am I a bad person for liking Final Fantasy II?
On the contrary.
I love the GBA/PSP revamps of FFII. Once they got rid of the whole "lose stats for not getting hurt/not using magic" stuff it became a completely enjoyable game. Of course the way it presents its story and password system is still relatively unpolished, but for me it was sort of a revelation to be introduced to an awesome new [old] FF game 16 years after it came out.

I also appreciate that the boss themes are fairly distinct from other FFs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4BobB4uNHQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZwYb5MP5Kc

Aeana

You just have to know how not to play FF2 to enjoy it.
Don't beat up on your characters, play it pretty much like you would play any other FF game, and it's enjoyable.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You just have to know how not to play FF2 to enjoy it.
Don't beat up on your characters, play it pretty much like you would play any other FF game, and it's enjoyable.
And beating up your characters is awfully boring. It feels like you're not even progressing anywhere anymore. I do wonder if it were updated with a more traditional ATB system that people would be more willing to trying it out.

On the contrary.
I love the GBA/PSP revamps of FFII. Once they got rid of the whole "lose stats for not getting hurt/not using magic" stuff it became a completely enjoyable game. Of course the way it presents its story and password system is still relatively unpolished, but for me it was sort of a revelation to be introduced to an awesome new [old] FF game 16 years after it came out.

I also appreciate that the boss themes are fairly distinct from other FFs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4BobB4uNHQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZwYb5MP5Kc
Yeah, the PSP/GBA versions are great, and the soundtrack mixes help a lot too. Soul of Rebirth was also a nice bonus. I do like the premise of the plot, or at least the ambition that Squaresoft had when developing it to plot out a narrative like this.

And I love those boss themes a lot... honestly, a lot of the changes made for the GBA/PSP versions of the game were for the best. I can see not liking the original Famicom version much, but I think the enhanced ports did a lot to make the game more palatable.

'Sides... I think the art for this game is kind of neat.

iGwTa.jpg
TR11q.jpg

The original Dragoon armour looks a little rough, but I like the refinements made to it in FFIV.

8DfSw.jpg
NZvkp.jpg

xxczx

Thinking about playing through FFXIII again while I wait for XIII-2.

Does Snow, Sazh and Vanille make a good team? I want things to be different once I hit Gran Pulse and my first playthrough was Lightning, Hope and Fang.

Neki

I don't know how you could stick with Hope the whole time. He has such bad hp, and not to mention his terrible personality. I've always liked Lightning, Fang and Vanille, but that's because Lightning is awesome, and Vanille is a great saboteur for most of the game.

Styles

I have Lightning, Hope and Vanillle as my main team. I guess what's so great about hope is that he's the best support character in the game. Also his casting animation is much quicker than the other members of the party, if you get what I mean by that. This means that he can heal people much quicker than the others can.

I have Lightning, Hope and Vanillle as my main team. I guess what's so great about hope is that he's the best support character in the game. Also his casting animation is much quicker than the other members of the party, if you get what I mean by that. This means that he can heal people much quicker than the others can.

Hope is a good damage dealer ( ravager ) but for some reason i think that vanille is the best healer & that sazh is the best support character ( because he can do almost everything well )

Roto13

Hope is a great Synergist (once he eventually gains access to Haste) and Ravager and a decent Medic. Not as good a medic as Vanille, but one medic isn't always enough anyway.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Thinking about playing through FFXIII again while I wait for XIII-2.

Does Snow, Sazh and Vanille make a good team? I want things to be different once I hit Gran Pulse and my first playthrough was Lightning, Hope and Fang.

I use Lightning, Fang, and Hope. Fang is my main attacker (and defender), Hope is the magician (buffs, debuffs, and magic), and Lightning often switches to attacker and magician.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't know how you could stick with Hope the whole time. He has such bad hp, and not to mention his terrible personality. I've always liked Lightning, Fang and Vanille, but that's because Lightning is awesome, and Vanille is a great saboteur for most of the game.
Hope was my party leader for most of the endgame (so I could prioritize whatever buffs I wanted). And I like making games harder for myself, lol. It was pretty easy regardless. Just pick the prime Optima for battles and the game is a heck of a lot easier as a result.

To make it easier, you could give Hope an armlet for increasing his HP if you want, and give him DEF+ and MDEF+ accessories to reduce damage. Add Defender roles to Optima where you think your allies will be in danger of severe damage because Defenders reduce overall damage done to the party. FFXIII is not a hard game; it simply takes some planning from the player.

As for parties...
When you can finally change your party: Hope/Vanille/Fang
Endgame of main game: Hope/Vanille/Fang
Early-postgame: Hope/Vanille/Fang
Mid-postgame: Hope/Vanille/Fang
Late-postgame: completely dependent on monster being fought.

Atticus: the recommended party is Hope/Fang/Snow, but you can definitely get away with a Hope/Vanille/Fang party with accessorizing. Seriously, this boss battle gets way more fun and exciting when you aren't using a Defender often.

Vercingetorix: the ideal party is Vanille/Fang/Snow, but you can get away with a Hope/Lightning/Fang party if you accessorize and create some prime Optima

Guis: everyone! Seriously, you can use anyone as long as you use the right tactics. Recommended party is Light/Fang/Sazh. You can use a Light/Fang/Snow party or a Fang/Sazh/Snow party too.

Gigantuar: Sazh/Vanille/Fang

5-starring missions: keep Sazh in your party because he can RIC the sucker.

Toth

Am I a bad person for liking Final Fantasy II? Serious question.

A lot of people I know say it sucks, but on the other hand, a lot of people haven't played it because they heard it sucks. Or they didn't play it the way it was meant to be played (ie: not hitting your party members to level up). Sure, the system is flawed and easily broken, but I enjoyed it. But it isn't fun to beat up on your party members for most of the game because it gets boring, and sometimes doing this raises your stats disproportionally.

I mostly like it for its plot, though. It introduces a few musical themes (chocobo theme), traditions, and plot elements (death, war, betrayal, mission failure, etc) to the series. I think it's the FF that benefitted the most from later ports/remakes... and that it unfairly gets a lot of hate.

Oh, and the music is awesome.

Don't worry Dark. FF II is one of the most unique games in the series. I liked the interesting take on the battle system. If only magic was really useful in the gAme...I never had much luck getting good returns for my investment.

Lily

Why have we not heard anything else about FFX HD yet? its been over 3 months since the announcment and zilch since, no release date, nothing :(

ULTROS!

Why have we not heard anything else about FFX HD yet? its been over 3 months since the announcment and zilch since, no release date, nothing :(

Gotta get FFXIII-2 out the door first!

Labadal

More FFTA2 being played. Completed 77 missions and some clan trials. Don't know if I'm going to go for 100%, because it steals time from other games.

The story might be nonsensical, but I'm quite enjoying the writing. It's really good for what it is.

ULTROS!

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I would be a Summoner :eek: I know I would be a mage of some kind because I love studying and books more than fighting, and I love animals so working with them sounds ideal!

Xux

I would be a Summoner :eek: I know I would be a mage of some kind because I love studying and books more than fighting, and I love animals so working with them sounds ideal!

Roto13

There's a glitch in the Matrix.

Labadal

So charming.

wXo1z.gif

Can't argue with that, but boy do I want my serious Final Fantasy Tactics 2 game. I still wonder why we aren't getting a game like that again? I always thought that FFT did well sales wise. I had hoped that they were working on something when they announced "The War of the Lions". Then we got the Tactics Ogre remake. It gave me slightly more hope. But we got nothing. Hell, I'd even take a lighthearted tactics game, since Square Enix haven't written a great FF story for some time now. How did the FFTA games sell? poorly enough not to get another sequel? Man, all I want is another Square SRPG on my portable (most likely release platform), lol.

I have also been thinking about FFXV for the last few weeks since I'm now decided on not getting FFXIII-2, Type-0 will probably be summer next year and god knows when Versus will be released. FFXHD is also a long way from release.

I'd like them to do a more slow paced game to be honest. A combination of FFX-2 and FFXII. Have jobs and ATB, it would still be turns, but I was thinking that you control each character during the fight, but with each turn you can actually move characters for better postioning on the battlefield to do more damage or get other advantages. Flank enemies, backstab, pincer attacks, and so on. You would have to think about your movements since mages would have low physical defence, and some fighters low magical defence. When I think about it, what I'm describing also has FF Tactics elements, only enemies could be visible on the world map. Also, movement would not be grid based.

Go back to steampunk world, but let it have a serious tone. No playable teenage character, and if you must have teenagers, make them tolerable. Make the world large, do not care if it has area transitions like FFXII, it could work. Even if I want the game to be serious, bring back the comedy, that's why I love VI and IX. They dealt with serious themes but could still have funny moments.

Tetsuya Nomura as enemy (monsters) designer.
Yoshitaka Amano as Character designer (protagonists and antagonists). World concept.
Yusuke Naora Let this guy help in the art department.
Hiroyuki Itou as producer. Also be involved in battle system.
Yoshinori Kitase as director.
Nobuo Uematsu as composer.
Takatsugu Nakazawa as battle system planner/director.
Motomu Toriyama Someone's gotta bring them coffee.
Hiroshi Minagawa The main art director.
Kazutoyo Maehiro Battle designer.
Hajime Tabata Add him to the writing squad.
Ken Narita Main programmer.

I think most of these guys are still working at square Enix or are willing to work with them. This could either be a masterpiece or it could bankrupt the company.

Labadal

Man, I would much rather have Ito as director. Or at least have him and Kitase both direct, like FF6.

Well, I do agree, but who would that leave for the producer role? I put him as director at first since he is involved in my favorite games in the series. FFVI, FFIX, FFXII & FFT.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
*sigh* I miss Ito. A lot. I'd rather have him direct and have a hand in constructing the battle engine as well.

The guy who held the producer position for most of my favourite FF titles left the company a long time ago.

:(

...get Yoshida to do the character art.

Aeana

For FF12 International, Ito held both the producer and director role. Wada commented about that in the Ultimania, saying that it made the process much smoother since he could talk directly to someone performing both roles. I don't know if he'd be able to take the stress of doing that with a brand new game though.

ULTROS!

Although having Kitase and Ito directing another FF game may seem like a dream, having Tabata direct a mainline FF game won't be so bad either.

Aeana

Although having Kitase and Ito directing another FF game may seem like a dream, having Tabata direct a mainline FF game won't be so bad either.

I think Tabata is one of the only people at SE who understands handheld gaming, so he should stick to that. He really gets how the games should be structured to be conducive to portable experiences.

Copied over into appropriate thread from XIII-2 OT (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33820005#post33820005):

---

Yeah..this is why I said I didn't want to start any lists haha. Once you wrote 7 is a classic and 8 sucks in terms of story my eyes rolled to the back of my head. By my count though from your list, only 4 (maybe 5) of the games have a palatable storyline. Don't see why you left out 10-2 or 11 from your list. 11's story is probably one of the best (let's say top 3) stories in the mainline.

- I left out 11, because it is an MMO. It's not really in the main series and was only denoted as such as a marketing gimmick. However it works to my point anyway: that FFs have, in general, well received story lines.

- I did forget X-2... that's true. You can increase the suck count by 1 there. Point still stands though numerically.

- I was listing consensus opinions, not my personal opinions. Fans are generally in love with VII and conversely with VIII (story-wise). (Yes, people like to shit on VII and call it nostalgia... that's fine... that's their prerogative... but that doesn't change the clear consensus on it, and that is that it is great. Discussing/defending why or how that is the case is far outside the scope of the thread or the discussion.)

- Your post to which I reacted was expressing surprise as to people playing FF for the story. Specifically you said "but seriously I'd think most would agree that maybe out of the 15 games (including both sequels) there's 3-4 "decent" storylines, no?". I showed why that is not the case. I am not saying you're wrong to disagree, just explaining the situation.

Top Bottom