• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Nocturnal

Banned
Damn you guys... don't make me go play FFIX again. :p

Well, X-2's gameplay was pretty good. I think it's possibly the best turn-based combat system of the series.
FFXII's combat is king, IMO, no more of those random encounters. I think we can have both things so I would be happy if SE released an ATB game one year and a "real-time" the other.

Labadal

I like how Spira really comes more to life in its sequel, especially with its focus on the other races. Also Yuna's journey is one of the saddest I've experienced in the franchise lol ~ loving her character here while I was not that fond of the original one. She's more natural now.

Also BROTHER... wtfffffffff ~

I think it was a bit over the top, nothing outrageous, mind you. Also, there are so many bad character designs in the game, even more than FFX.

I did like Spira in FFX-2 and there were some good moments but overall, the story didn't do much for me.

Squire

Banned
Just took care of business in Daguerreo. The wiki guide I'm using is saying to tie up loose ends now, so it sounds like the end times are upon me.

I'm not too concerned with side stuff (as interesting as it is in this game), but my characters are in their early 40s, level-wise. Again, team is Zidane/Dagger/Vivi/Steiner. I'm pretty sure I've got good equipment. Bought stuff in Daguerreo including the Black Robe so Vivi can learn Flare.

So, what do you guys think? Should I pull the trigger and go or am I too weak for whatever's coming next?

Just took care of business in Daguerreo. The wiki guide I'm using is saying to tie up loose ends now, so it sounds like the end times are upon me.

I'm not too concerned with side stuff (as interesting as it is in this game), but my characters are in their early 40s, level-wise. Again, team is Zidane/Dagger/Vivi/Steiner. I'm pretty sure I've got good equipment. Bought stuff in Daguerreo including the Black Robe so Vivi can learn Flare.

So, what do you guys think? Should I pull the trigger and go or am I too weak for whatever's coming next?

Your levels aren't bad, but I would try and at least do the Friendly Monster quest, especially if you need some AP for abilities.

Nipo

Apologies if this is the wrong place for questions. I just ordered FFXIV and am really looking forward to playing a MMO again as my last one was Dark Ages of Camelot.

I trying to decide between playing a Scholar and Paladin, and would appreciate any advice deciding between the two. I like playing as both a healer and tank and the guides make it sound like both are fun.

Will playing one or the other make it easier to find groups? My friend just order the game as well and is leaning towards a black mage or summoner will one of the two complement him better than the other?

Anything else I should know or guides I should read before starting?

wmlk

Just played up through Mount Gulug back to Lindblum in FFIX.

Terra Homing. WOW. I did not see that coming. My jaw dropped. I feel bad for Eiko and Mog. That scene is yet another great use of seeding the chekovs gun in FFIXs story. Speaking of...

Hilda. Oh boy, Hilda. Very regal and charming. I love the scene of her making up with CID. How often do you see som I feel really adds to the characterization.

Anyway, I'm in the castle, so next time I play I have to go the meeting with Hilda.
Man, I love this game.

How are you surviving the slow battle system?

Squire

Banned
How are you surviving the slow battle system?

Hahaha! I dunno, I really don't think it's that slow. It's no slower or faster than what I would expect from a PS1 game. For one boss battle I had Auto-Potion enabled; it was useful for that fight, but it did slow the pace down more than I prefer and of course it bleeds your supply of potions, so I turned it off afterwards. I'll probably turn it on again for the last boss/bosses though. It's my first time through!

Wazzy

Banned
5ZJV7j8.gif

Ahhh this moment in VIII was the best.

wmlk

Hahaha! I dunno, I really don't think it's that slow. It's no slower or faster than what I would expect from a PS1 game. For one boss battle I had Auto-Potion enabled; it was useful for that fight, but it did slow the pace down more than I prefer and of course it bleeds your supply of potions, so I turned it off afterwards. I'll probably turn it on again for the last boss/bosses though. It's my first time through!

This game was essentially made for me outside of the battle system. I was spoiled some major thing about my favourite character, but I still wanted to play this game. I remember falling in love with this game right after seeing this cutscene. Loved the whimsy this game has.

And then battles. I stopped playing after the first disc.

Wazzy

Banned
Found this FF/Pokemon crossover fanart:

Not bad choices. Acanine is pretty good for Squall though I could also see Charizard. I like Zell's but Machoke would be better.

This one is meh. Tifa's is good. Barret's is meh, Cloud's works well but I feel Pikachu would be better and Aeris's confuses me. I guess Mew is a cool choice for her but Vileplume is weird.

There's also a FF X one but it's not as good.

Golnei

This one is meh. Tifa's is good. Barret's is meh, Cloud's works well but I feel Pikachu would be better and Aeris's confuses me. I guess Mew is a cool choice for her but Vileplume is weird.

Maybe Vileplume is supposed to reflect that 'flower in the slums' thing? Or also have something to do with the dissonance between Aerith's actual personality and her role as a 'pure messiah', or something?

Mr. RHC

Found this FF/Pokemon crossover fanart:
Not bad choices. Acanine is pretty good for Squall though I could also see Charizard. I like Zell's but Machoke would be better.

Those are really good! Source?

Wazzy

Banned
Okay I want to come up with the perfect lineups for VIII's cast. To get this thread moving a little, everyone pick your favourite FF and then think of lineups for the characters(yes pokemon lineups)

Maybe Vileplume is supposed to reflect that 'flower in the slums' thing? Or also have something to do with the dissonance between Aerith's actual personality and her role as a 'pure messiah', or something?
I think you gave a better explanation than the artist. :p

I think there's a couple plant pokemon that could have worked better but I have to say the pairing of mew with her and Mewtwo with Sephiroth is pretty good.
Those are really good! Source?

http://andrewryanart.deviantart.com/art/Final-Fantasy-8-Pokemon-451405495

There's a lot of good stuff on there plus the FF X one

Squire

Banned
Okay, so
I'm in Terra now. Couldn't sleep last night, so I played up through the sequence where the cast pulls Zidane out of his depression. (Boy was that harrowing.)

The wiki guide I'm using says the party should be at least Lv. 50 for the fights ahead. This person has bloated the numbers before though, so I'm pretty sure they don't all need to be 50, unless Prof. Beef or someone else ITT thinks the same. Did some grinding though, still. Current status is:

Zidane - Lv. 50
Dagger - Lv. 48
Steiner - Lv. 46 (damned virus attacks)
Vivi - Lv. 48

I think I have some pretty great gear and I have Auto-Haste on Zidane/Steiner. It certainly feels like the team is ready to me.

CorvoSol

So i dont know how long Bravely Default has been doing this, but the game's title is suddenly veyry clever.

bBasically it's turning red the relevant letters and fading the rest out to leave "Airy Lies." Also that wing countdown is awesome.

Type 0 impresses me with the sheer amount of stuff i can miss. Pretty sure i have effed up the Emina questt again, which blows, not for lost fanservice but lost character development. I had hoped to do all the optional npc storylines this playthrough.

Really have to stress the importance of a second playthrough because of the number of differences.

All for now.

PK Gaming

Okay, so
I'm in Terra now. Couldn't sleep last night, so I played up through the sequence where the cast pulls Zidane out of his depression. (Boy was that harrowing.)

The wiki guide I'm using says the party should be at least Lv. 50 for the fights ahead. This person has bloated the numbers before though, so I'm pretty sure they don't all need to be 50, unless Prof. Beef or someone else ITT thinks the same. Did some grinding though, still. Current status is:

Zidane - Lv. 50
Dagger - Lv. 48
Vivi - Lv. 48

I think I have some pretty great gear and I have Auto-Haste on Zidane/Steiner. It certainly feels like the team is ready to me.

Aww ye-YEAH, you finished the You're Not Alone sequence! Hell of a sequence, right?

You're definitely set, especially if you've got Auto-Haste gear. As long as Garnet's a competent healer (Do her Curaga's heal the party for a decent amount?) then you should be fine.

Kuja9001

Banned
Okay, so

Zidane - Lv. 50
Dagger - Lv. 48
Vivi - Lv. 48

Have you been playing chocobo hot & cold? If so Steiner should have a weapon with a very powerful ability by now.

Don't forget to steal from the upcoming fights.

Squire

Banned
Aww ye-YEAH, you finished the You're Not Alone sequence! Hell of a sequence, right?

You're definitely set, especially if you've got Auto-Haste gear. As long as Garnet's a competent healer (Do her Curaga's heal the party for a decent amount?) then you should be fine.

Sp Evangelion.

Have you been playing chocobo hot & cold? If so Steiner should have a weapon with a very powerful ability by now.

Don't forget to steal from the upcoming fights.

I just tried to fight Trance Kuja and he annihilated us. I don't have Curaga, either. Not sure how I missed it.

Wazzy

Banned
Ugh I'm trying to do backgrounds for the pokemon/Final Fantasy thing and I'm super impatient with photoshop.

Oh well. I'm at least having fun creating these lineups.

Squire

Banned
Finished up the game a couple of hours ago.

WOW.

It's difficult to put in words that aren't corny, but I absolutely loved it. Fantastic battle system that isn't overly complicated, a world that's incredibly well-realized and believable, some of the most lovable, well-rounded characters ever - and that all comes together to be the most harrowing, uplifting game I've played.

I thought FFIX was a game about the discovery and acceptance of ones true identity. It is, but it's also about settling that knowledge and moving on. Cherishing every day in the one life you get to live.

I'm so happy I played this game. I think now was the right time, too. I'm old enough to really appreciate it whereas a lot of it would've gone over my head when I was younger, if I didn't outright dismiss it for being "some old PS1 game".

Final Fantasy IX is nothing short of a masterpiece. And that ending. Be still my heart.

"Bring my Dagger unto me!"

Square... Don't you ever scare me like that again. Capisce?

NateDog

Guys FFV, yay or nay? I tried starting it recently but couldn't get into it and I just finished VIII for the first time so I'm not sure where to go from here. I'd play X if my PS2 wasn't busted but I don't know whether I ought to give V a chance or not. And if so should I do it on PS3 or should I PSP it?

Golnei

Besides the questionable translation I found it to be totally playable. It's certainly not plagued by the kind of slowdown or loadtimes that FF VI or CT had.

If a better translation is easily available, there's no reason to not pursue it, even if the PS1 version isn't necessarily broken.

If a better translation is easily available, there's no reason to not pursue it, even if the PS1 version isn't necessarily broken.
But the person asking only mentions ps3 and psp. I think it would be silly for them to track down a gba just for one game. And besides, V has one if the most throwaway stories in the entire series. It's got some translation problems but the gameplay is still there.

Noi

FF5 PS1 also has some nasty bugs/glitches related to save data, which are the main reason why I tend to steer clear of it. Though if its the only reliable method of playing the game, any version of FF5 is better than no FF5.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Hmm...yes, since he said he already played it, he must already own the PSN version. I guess it's good enough to play it instead, I imagine the GBA version isn't that easy to get nowadays anyway. Hopefully it'll come to the VC sometime (yeah, right).

FF5 PS1 also has some nasty bugs/glitches related to save data, which are the main reason why I tend to steer clear of it. Though if its the only reliable method of playing the game, any version of FF5 is better than no FF5.
I don't recall save data baing erased thought. It's more like the save screen turns into a jumble of glitches graphics. Iirc you can exit and enter menu til fixed. I think this happens on the psp. Have yet to have it occur on ps3.

Falk

that puzzling face
bBasically it's turning red the relevant letters and fading the rest out to leave "Airy Lies." Also that wing countdown is awesome.

The best part about it is how it seemed to be how it was a completely self-aware "we are ditching 'FF' from the title and creating a kickass franchise that doesn't need to piggyback on the name" statement. The game kicks major ass mechanically.

NateDog

Yeah I'm afraid I already bought it and have no access to a GBA. If there are that many possible issues though I'm not sure whether it's worth it, but if it's a good game I'll give it a go. Thanks for the hefty feedback guys.

PK Gaming

Finished up the game a couple of hours ago.

WOW.

It's difficult to put in words that aren't corny, but I absolutely loved it. Fantastic battle system that isn't overly complicated, a world that's incredibly well-realized and believable, some of the most lovable, well-rounded characters ever - and that all comes together to be the most harrowing, uplifting game I've played.

I thought FFIX was a game about the discovery and acceptance of ones true identity. It is, but it's also about settling that knowledge and moving on. Cherishing every day in the one life you get to live.

I'm so happy I played this game. I think now was the right time, too. I'm old enough to really appreciate it whereas a lot of it would've gone over my head when I was younger, if I didn't outright dismiss it for being "some old PS1 game".

Final Fantasy IX is nothing short of a masterpiece. And that ending. Be still my heart.

"Bring my Dagger unto me!"

Square... Don't you ever scare me like that again. Capisce?

1791036_o.gif

I'm glad you enjoyed it! It's by far and away my favorite Final Fantasy game, so it always makes me happy to see others enjoying it.

You are now obligated by law to fight for FF9 in the inevitable "best FF" discussions

JC Lately

Hey, FF-GAF:

After I’m done with my FF5 Fiesta run, I plan on finally playing through all of FFIV The After Years. Ive started and stopped a couple of times since it came out on the Wii; figured its time to get that monkey off my back.

The questions is: Which version do I play? Wii or ios? I don’t have a PSP or Vita yet, so that version is out. I already own all the Wii chapters, but it wont kill me to pay 15 bucks to get the ios version. If my Fiesta run is any indication, the portability of the ios version is irrelevant, since I’ll likely only play it at home. So it really comes down to content (any exclusive levels/bosses/items, etc), ease of play (touch screen vs buttons) and presentation (2d sprites blown up on a HD tv or 3d polygons on a dinky iphone 5s screen?.

What does GAF recommended? Which is the superior option?

CorvoSol

I haven't played the iOS version, but I have played the PSP and Wii versions of the game.

Somethings to note about the Wii version:

1) Visually it is perhaps the least impressive of the three main versions. It's FF6 sprites running around in FF4 environments, practically, which can be a bit awkward. At the same time there's a weird enhancement to the nostalgia because of the reused assets.

2) The game is the most exploitable version of it, in that, if you're fucking insane like I am, there are RNGs to guarantee you all of the ridiculous rare stuff like Rydia's summons and the tails and challenge dungeon stuff.

3) It's also the least well put together version, I'm willing to bet. I once got stuck in a battle because enemy AI had two snakes using constrict on me ad nauseum. Damage was being done at a minimum, meaning game over would take forever, and there was no chance of breaking free and attacking or running. Other glitches abound.

Of note regarding the iOS version is that it uses the same style as the DS version of FF4. Many people did not like that presentation, but I was pretty okay with it. Assuming it is mechanically more in line with the PSP version of the game, then:

1) Challenge Dungeon prizes are easier to get without doing a ridiculous RNG, but you can only get one of each, so no Challenge dungeon farming (why would you want to do that anyway?)

2) Rare drops are still rare, but with the difficulty adjusted from "Tokita is jerking off to your tears" to "Playable" you don't need them as much.

There are only two rare things I recommend players bother going for in The After Years, regardless of which version: first, the Mythril parts in Rydia's chapter, so that you can unlock Calca and Brina. They're not exactly great characters, but I'm the kind of person who loathes missing out on characters in a game. Second, the Black Tail in Palom's chapter. Unlike the other tails, there is a guaranteed, simple way of getting it regardless of version. Unfortunately, it requires an enormous amount of gil (literally more than the maximum amount of gil you can have in your inventory) to acquire both the Black Tail and the Queen's set in Palom's chapter, and in Palom's chapter the gil acquisition rate is barbarically low, meaning many people (who are all saner than I) will not feel the need to grind for cash to acquire both. As a bonus, though, grinding for cash in Palom's tale significantly increases your chance of getting the Wizard Summon. As a downside, you're likely to hit the level cap for the chapter well before you have the money you need.

Wazzy

Banned
Okay so I finally finished Seifer. It's not well done but hey, I had fun doing it and it was a nice break from other stuff.

Lineup and reasons:
1. Sycther(Name is similar plus it has blade arms)
2. Charizard Y(It's to rival Squalls lineup who will have Charizard X plus fire and all dat)
3. Houndoom(Fire, scary, dog pokemon which is associated with him and the dog in dollet)
4. Gyarados(Violent)
5. Raichu(Aggresive and cocky)
6. Tyranitar(Very violent and uncaring of others)

Next up is Squall.

CorvoSol

Bravely Default

So I kinda think that this Conjurer quest has been the most entertaining quest in the entire second half of the game. Mostly because it offered some fucking variety. Although I feel that the
Alternis and Braev rematches
were extremely contrived, I did feel that the Conjurer's point regarding them stacked up, and the
Blood Rose sisters battle
was a unique and challenging experience in a section of the game which desperately required them. The Conjurer battle itself may have been the toughest fight in the game, barring the stupid dragons and their stupid spam. The Vampire comes in second, but golly gee dude was dealing 7k+ damage on EASY.

Top Bottom