• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

I thought Doomsday was stronger?

Quina hasn't eaten much. I'm about as good at remembering to do that as I used to be with stealing (when I was younger and I played these games I rarely took the time to steal).

So I don't have much. Doomsday is probably stronger, I just don't have it yet.

Doomsday is black magic, not blue :p

I think Flare's spell power is a bit higher. Doomsday, of course does attack all enemies, but it also damages your party members (and can't be reflected). You can equip your party with armor that absorbs or nullifies shadow-elemental damage, though.

Vivi's Water magic just... kinda fits in there, yeah. As a sorta mid-tier spell. It's his only water-elemental magic. You'll get the tier 3 -ga spells and then stuff like Comet, Flare, and Doomsday.

Quina's usefulness can depend a lot on whether you keep up with eating enemies. Right/soon after you first get Quina in your party s/he can learn some pretty damn useful spells, like Mighty Guard (casts protect/shell on your entire party) and White Wind (heals your entire party). And remember that Lv4 Holy is limited (since it only works on enemies with a level that's a multiple of four).

FFIX's my favorite game in the series (and well, favorite game period). The atmosphere, characters, and music's incredibly. Glad that you're enjoying it so far.

Now that I've finished Lightning Returns (posted a LTTP a couple days ago maybe I'll ride that momentum into playing through the rest of FFVIII Steam (had only made it through the SeeD field test in Dollet - 100%'d FFVII, but doubt I'm gonna do it with VIII given the min/max and ridiculous monster-killing achievements) and then let myself jump into another FFIX playthrough.

It's kind of funny; I bought Final Fantasy 3, 7,8, and 14 on PC for the somewhat low chance that 9
and 15
would be put on PC.

I think I'm running a fool's errand.

Squire

Banned
Doomsday is black magic, not blue :p

I think Flare's spell power is a bit higher. Doomsday, of course does attack all enemies, but it also damages your party members (and can't be reflected). You can equip your party with armor that absorbs or nullifies shadow-elemental damage, though.

Vivi's Water magic just... kinda fits in there, yeah. As a sorta mid-tier spell. It's his only water-elemental magic. You'll get the tier 3 -ga spells and then stuff like Comet, Flare, and Doomsday.

Quina's usefulness can depend a lot on whether you keep up with eating enemies. Right/soon after you first get Quina in your party s/he can learn some pretty damn useful spells, like Mighty Guard (casts protect/shell on your entire party) and White Wind (heals your entire party). And remember that Lv4 Holy is limited (since it only works on enemies with a level that's a multiple of four).

FFIX's my favorite game in the series (and well, favorite game period). The atmosphere, characters, and music's incredibly. Glad that you're enjoying it so far.

Now that I've finished Lightning Returns (posted a LTTP a couple days ago maybe I'll ride that momentum into playing through the rest of FFVIII Steam (had only made it through the SeeD field test in Dollet - 100%'d FFVII, but doubt I'm gonna do it with VIII given the min/max and ridiculous monster-killing achievements) and then let myself jump into another FFIX playthrough.

I think it's fantastic so far. Definitely going to be one of my favorite games ever. Can I go back later to get Mighty Guard? I did pick up White Wind.

I think it's fantastic so far. Definitely going to be one of my favorite games ever. Can I go back later to get Mighty Guard? I did pick up White Wind.

You will have opportunities to learn Mighty Guard later on. Consult a Faq about Quina's magic...I know the Gigan Octupus outside of Esto Gaza or the Ant Lion outside of the Desert Palace has the spell.

Kuja9001

Banned
I'm going to need you to prove to me that the Japanese version of FFXIII explains who Etro is without using the Vercingetorix entry. Cuz otherwise I remain in adamant disbelief.

You know, normally when a large group of people have the same impression of a game, there's something behind that.

Vanille explains it after defeating Bart for in second time in Oerba.

That entry you mentioned only tells us what causes Etro to act.

Koriandrr

Regarding LR:

I think that if X-2 was more like LR, especially combat-wise, it would've actually been quite successful. LR to me seems like the vastly superior version of X-2, but with less likable characters.

aravuus

Does Dissidia 012 have an actual story? I could play it right away and the battles seem pretty goddamn awesome, but my JRPGs (if this even counts) need dat melodrama and bigger-than-life stories

Yeah, you can still get it. The first source was from Serpions (the blue-headed, green-bellied dragons in parts of the Mist Continent). But there's a few other enemies you can also learn it from, too - If you've run into Myconid (mushroom-like things) on the Outer Continent, you can eat them to learn it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
No she does not. That thing with the Cieth stone does not explain who Etro is.

They never really explain Etro in either XIII saga or Type 0.

XIII saga it becomes a name prompt to move the plot. Or be a meaningless plot element. Type 0 the name is just minor lore and is truthful to the mythos.

-------------

Flare should be non-elemental since it is overloading a tangible body of matter with energy and imploding said energy from within.

CorvoSol

Also the vercingetorix doesnt give Etro a motive, just a name. Her existence as a Goddess is a by note to the whole Maker thing at best. There's a reason people say 13's end is a deus ex machina.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I always view the Lightning Saga as a parody of the whole series. Or the GILGAMESH Acid Trip. But then again I called Dissidia and everything within it the GILGAMESH Acid Trip.

Wazzy

Banned
Does Dissidia 012 have an actual story? I could play it right away and the battles seem pretty goddamn awesome, but my JRPGs (if this even counts) need dat melodrama and bigger-than-life stories

It does but you'll wish it didn't.

I think the story should just stay simple. Hereo's are summoned to fight the villains for Cosmos.

You do get some fun dialogue between the characters, though.

I wish there would be a third game.

Golnei

It does but you'll wish it didn't.

I think the story should just stay simple. Hereo's are summoned to fight the villains for Cosmos.

You do get some fun dialogue between the characters, though.

I wish there would be a third game.

I don't mind the convoluted story; it's not like it's taken incredibly seriously, and it at least gives the FF1 characters a little more presence.

And the dialogue is pretty fun
(the Lightning/Firion subplot being particularly cute)
, though I'd like the hypothetical future Dissidia to have a Chaos main story scenario to fully take advantage of the crossover.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I don't mind the convoluted story; it's not like it's taken incredibly seriously, and it at least gives the FF1 characters a little more presence.

, though I'd like the hypothetical future Dissidia to have a Chaos main story scenario to fully take advantage of the crossover.

Unfortunately the only way for that to happen is make a Musou game and have Koei collab and make a Villain Dream mode. Since SE wanted to half ass it with 000 and few of the "Reports".

Wazzy

Banned

Yeah the dialogue is good. I kind of wish we had more between Squall and Laguna since I wanted to see how they interacted

Give me Seifer and Rinoa next game pls.

FF Musou could be really cool tbh
That would be really cool.

Kuja9001

Banned
Also the vercingetorix doesnt give Etro a motive, just a name. Her existence as a Goddess is a by note to the whole Maker thing at best. There's a reason people say 13's end is a deus ex machina.

Her reason for doing the things she did during the finale is despair and feeling bad for the people were going to die so the entries do mention that.

A New Legend

The children of the great god Pulse, scour the earth, searching the material domain for the gateway. The children of the evil god Lindzei, take lives, searching the spirit domain for the gateway.

So I have seen.

The gateway; once concealed with despair it's secret key, will surely be opened. The only hope; by sacrifice alone will the path be made clear.

When the twilight of the gods arrives, on the other side of the shinning gateway, from that without color, the imperceivable dimension, a song without words will surely resonate.

The lament of the goddess Etro as she takes pity on the passing lives

The Goddess

The goddess sought nothing. The goddess made nothing. The goddess only pities.

The goddess pities those destined for death and so she placed those who were to take countless lives to sleep and prevented the destruction.

Even more so than those bound for death, she pities those bound to a cruel mission. To those who become worn by despair and lose sight of their path, she sends her messengers; to guide them towards hope.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Her reason for doing the things she did during the finale is despair and feeling bad for the people were going to die so the entries do mention that.

Yet didn't she condemn the MC's because they killed stuff which was against some sacred law Goddess felt needed to be enforced?

Squire

Banned
Just played up through Mount Gulug back to Lindblum in FFIX.

Terra Homing. WOW. I did not see that coming. My jaw dropped. I feel bad for Eiko and Mog. That scene is yet another great use of seeding the chekovs gun in FFIXs story. Speaking of...

Hilda. Oh boy, Hilda. Very regal and charming. I love the scene of her making up with CID. How often do you see som I feel really adds to the characterization.

Anyway, I'm in the castle, so next time I play I have to go the meeting with Hilda.
Man, I love this game.

Terra Homing. WOW. I did not see that coming. My jaw dropped. I feel bad for Eiko and Mog. That scene is yet another great use of seeding the chekovs gun in FFIXs story. Speaking of...

Hilda. Oh boy, Hilda. Very regal and charming. I love the scene of her making up with CID. How often do you see som I feel really adds to the characterization.

Anyway, I'm in the castle, so next time I play I have to go the meeting with Hilda.
Man, I love this game.

You still have yet to get to one of the best areas in the game...

PowderedToast

as someone who doesn't speak or understand Japanese, I 'm finding lightning much more likable in the JP dub of LR.

Ali Hillis always sounded too artificial and forced, and I don't think she interpreted the lines very well (perhaps not her fault).

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
as someone who doesn't speak or understand Japanese, I 'm finding lightning much more likable in the JP dub of LR.

Ali Hillis always sounded too artificial and forced, and I don't think she interpreted the lines very well (perhaps not her fault).

Well Maaya Sakamoto is quite the celebrity.

Alas, they brought back the Nutkin to XIV. I forgot, was it ever worth killing them? I seem to remember the gray ones giving you either lots of AP or money...

PK Gaming

Man, I love this game.

Did you get to Oeilvert yet? That's my absolute favorite segment in FFIX.

Squire

Banned
Did you get to Oeilvert yet? That's my absolute favorite segment in FFIX.

That place was cool, yeah! Tonight I played up to the Earth Guardian. That fight was tough, since I haven't really been using Quina. Other than that, I've taken Corvo's advice and I've been using Zidane/Dagger/Steiner/Vivi as my team. That's going pretty well. The team slays.

Story/spoiler stuff:

Absolutely loved Zidane finding Garnet, the conversation they have , and what happens after. Garnet has changed. It comes across in the dialogue and the CG scene of her cutting her hair is the perfect symbolism/icing on the cake.

Saved the game right outside of Shimmering Island, so that's next! Woo!

PK Gaming

That place was cool, yeah! Tonight I played up to the Earth Guardian. That fight was tough, since I haven't really been using Quina. Other than that, I've taken Corvo's advice and I've been using Zidane/Dagger/Steiner/Vivi as my team. That's going pretty well. The team slays.

Story/spoiler stuff:

Absolutely loved Zidane finding Garnet, the conversation they have , and what happens after. Garnet has changed. It comes across in the dialogue and the CG scene of her cutting her hair is the perfect symbolism/icing on the cake.

Saved the game right outside of Shimmering Island, so that's next! Woo!

That particular Garnet scene was pretty stellar. You also feel that change on a gameplay level, since Garnet can FINALLY Magic again. It's a huge relief if you've been seriously using her. And yeah, the Zidane/Garnet relationship is absolutely fantastic.

You're shortly before the part where shit gets real!

Squire

Banned
That particular Garnet scene was pretty stellar. You also feel that change on a gameplay level, since Garnet can FINALLY Magic again. It's a huge relief if you've been seriously using her. And yeah, the Zidane/Garnet relationship is absolutely fantastic.

You're shortly before the part where shit gets real!

I'm excited! Yeah, that trauma manifesting in the gameplay was a really smart design choice and I notice there's lots of stuff like that in FFIX. Having a character go through that at all is incredibly thoughtful. Nobody could've expected that from a game in 2000.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I copy and paste myself from the other topic, I think it also makes sense in this context anyway:

I'm having a blast with X-2, going right now through the last chapter, then I'll probably start it again with new game plus. It's funny how years ago I dismissed it immediately as a shitty sequel and now I find myself preferring this one over the original by a long range. X-2 it's really a funny and well done Final Fantasy.

Anyone having a similar experience to mine after so many years?

Anyway. I'll take another Dissidia (not written by Watanabe, please)

I'd love another Dissidia, possibly on PS4/ONE...

Labadal

I copy and paste myself from the other topic, I think it also makes sense in this context anyway:

Anyone having a similar experience to mine after so many years?

I'd love another Dissidia, possibly on PS4/ONE...

There are things I disliked about X-2, but I was and still am happy enough to have bought it day one. I somehow feel that the FFX ending was good enough for the Spira world to be left alone. So in that regard, it still bothers me, but from a gameplay perspective, the game is great.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
There are things I disliked about X-2, but I was and still am happy enough to have bought it day one. I somehow feel that the FFX ending was good enough for the Spira world to be left alone. So in that regard, it still bothers me, but from a gameplay perspective, the game is great.

I like how Spira really comes more to life in its sequel, especially with its focus on the other races. Also Yuna's journey is one of the saddest I've experienced in the franchise lol ~ loving her character here while I was not that fond of the original one. She's more natural now.

Also BROTHER... wtfffffffff ~

Top Bottom