• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

CorvoSol

I'd be fine with a remaster in that style, but my ideal remake would retain the simplistic, barely-textured chibi style, with a vastly more complex lighting engine and far more intricate animations. Fluidly animated and well-lit field models on remodeled prerendered backgrounds would be the perfect update to FF7's original style.

I'm fine with that. At the very least the models need to be of the cartoony FF9 variety and then switch to the more commonly known FF7 look for combat and the old FMV sequences. Because FF7 had a really cartoony thing going for it that, as you've said, wouldn't translate well into the other stuff. It could function like FF4PSP where there's an art-style shift between map and combat.

Then again, Crisis Core did manage some cartoony stuff with umbrella wielding Zack in shorts on the beach.

Exentryk

Well, when you thought it couldn't possibly get any worse

ALIM5ea.jpg

Rear view from my work desk.

(Ok I'll stop :V)

But do you have those artworks in high res? :p

I platinumed LR before English version was out.

YOU come at ME

edit: goes without saying that XIII and XIII-2 were plat previously

edit2:

naNuLkC.jpg

yehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Awesome. I'm jelly.

Can you check how many hours it took you? To 1000/1000 the whole Trilogy? Mine was ~296 hours as posted earlier.

Holykael1

Banned
Or on mobile.

That will probably be just an enhanced port. FF7 will inevitably land on mobile but I doubt they would acknowledge it as the "full remake" many people were asking for.
It would be incredibly stupid and damaging to their already damaged image.

Falk

that puzzling face
Awesome. I'm jelly.

Can you check how many hours it took you? To 1000/1000 the whole Trilogy? Mine was ~296 hours as posted earlier.

I'm not sure, and my play times on saves are not reliable because I leave my PS3 on/paused when I'm doing other things including sleeping. (This is a side-effect of my home entertainment system being the same system as my work setup, meaning PS3 goes to the same screen as my work PC, uses the same speakers, etc. Can't count the number of times I've tried to alt-tab out of PS3 games instead of hitting the input select on my display)

Lightning Returns plat was a lot shorter than most people though, because reasons.

But do you have those artworks in high res? :p

Those aren't printed, they're actual posters Square Enix gave me. Autographed :V

Wazzy

Banned
I'm also someone who would only want a VII remake if it kept the anime style it had in the original. I don't think the realistic look has ever worked.

Thanks for the link. Cecil is my favourite of those. Interesting to see Terra and Kefka by Hirohiko Araki :eek:
I kind of wish he picked a male character to draw so we could see the flamboyant art of them. xD
I'd really like to know when most of those were made because that looks like Kubo Tite's art style from the very early years of Bleach (I'm talking pre-2005/2006).

Also, I can see it's Kishimoto's Cloud in the eyes and from the rather flat colours.

Sorachi's Vaan is the best mostly because it makes me fucking LOL.
I honestly have no idea why they all decided to do one. I guess SE asked?
Ooh, I remember this. I love that Zidane and Kuja one!
They're all pretty funny looking. :D
Man, I can do the seagulls blindfolded. Even the lightning bolts go down after a warmup. It's these shits that forever haunt me every time I play FF10.

I know my depth perception isn't the best, but fuck those things for having the most abstract hitbox in the world.

You should play the remaster then because they made it sooooo much easier.

Style

Banned
If they remake a Final Fantasy VII, although its unlikely, they should still use pre-rendered backgrounds. The backgrounds of the original would be fantastic if they remade them in HD.

iGbAd8pESmohe.gif

iTsafp1mXAuq0.gif

pJlg1PB.gif

QEKlGxH.gif

Link to album with more of these: http://imgur.com/a/shRaP
I kind of wish he picked a male character to draw so we could see the flamboyant art of them. xD

I completely agree. Terra and Kefka was an interesting choice, but it would have been cooler with his trademark fabulous male characters.

iS8nEMVLlspNl.gif

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm missing something extremely obvious, aren't I?

edit: Oh, derp. Kept thinking of the console and trying to link it to the pirate NES ROM. What a brainfart.

Holykael1

Banned
I would love for them to redraw those backgrounds in HD.. They could have done it for the Steam release but no.. It's never happening unfortunately.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Don't say it. DON'T.

If we all pray it won't happen, it won't, right? RIGHT?

The compilation exists. Going back to remake VII will make a loved game Loveless.

So do you really want a FF7 remake to harken the Genesis of a new era before making the full transition as a Mobile only developer?

Personally, I'd rather they not make an VII remake. My personal feelings of it not being nearly what it cracked up to be aside, the logistics of actually doing it would make it unfeasible. You can't expect them to keep static, uncontrollable camera angles along with the isometric view; the same nearly 17 year old gameplay system with no updates; no voice acting; etc. in a remake when the damn thing would cost so much that it would need 5 to 6 million copies sold just to break even. Scenes that probably took a day to set up would now take weeks unless they want to keep it similarly simple (which would make it harder to attract mainstream audiences who already think JRPGs are stuck in the past). And because the art style is very much a product of it's time due to prerendering and extremely deformed character models due to the hardware, it won't look the same either. There's also the issue of the borderline racist caricatures; the gay jokes which could easily be seen as trivializing homosexuality in this day and age (or at the very least would come across as super fuckin' awkward); Cid's habit of screaming obscenities (again, there's no way they'd go the text-box route); among other things like in the Honey Bee Inn (honestly, they'd probably cut all that out in a remake).

Whatever people think a VII remake would play, look, and feel like... chances are, that's not how it would go. Unless if you honestly think they'd make a 1:1 remake (which, again, just isn't realistic). The only thing I see from a VII remake is a bunch of disappointed fans.

If they remake FFVII you get to deal with Genesis.

372.gif

And that's the other danger: That they would integrate Genesis and that other bullshit.

Turin

Banned
Whatever people think a VII remake would play, look, and feel like... chances are, that's not how it would go. Unless if you honestly think they'd make a 1:1 remake (which, again, just isn't realistic). The only thing I see from a VII remake is a bunch of disappointed fans.

True. There was a lot of gaps for an individual to fill in with FFVII and there's a lot of differing opinions on how a more vivid adaption should turn out.

Heropon

The only thing I want from another FF7 rerelease is an updated script. I don't care about graphics and certainly having a full remake is unfeasible when remakes don't sell as well as the originals and developing costs have risen so much.

Oh God I changed my mind I didn't want this not like this no no no

Changing the models of the main party minus Cait Sith and every other model in the game sounds like a crap mod IMO.

These things look completely fucked up in anything other than still images.

Tifa's Dissidia model being the one used in-battle is the wat thing in there. :lol

Lol, never said it was a good mod.

Falk

that puzzling face
Well, now I'm tempted. You know how I said a month or so back that I wanted to try my hand at an unofficial FFVIII soundtrack 'remaster'? Considering half of the reason would be so I could fish hilarious responses from the diehard nostalgics, I'm wondering if I should try FFVII instead since it's put up on an even bigger pedestal.

I mean think about it, the reactions would be even more extreme - even more of either "the best thing ever" or "falk pee'd on the shrine :'(".

I may or may not already have already previously worked on One Winged Angel in some official capacity though but I didn't say it and you didn't hear it

Just kidding, One Winged Angel was part of the FF7 medley on VGO's cover CD

Holykael1

Banned
I want a remake just for curiosity sake. How the hell would they handle it. I can't help but feel intrigued. If it sucks, it sucks and I'll stick to the original.

A remake sucking won't retroactively diminish my opinion of the original game.

CorvoSol

Yeah, can't say that I've ever been a fan of

(Those arms... HOW DO THEY WORK!?)

Though at least it fits in with the rest of the scenery and what not. Every single mod I've seen ends up like the one I posted.

See, it's stuff like the arms I'm really talking about.

You guys really wanna suffer through bad characters and poor retcons?

Nobody is asking for that. Everybody is asking for just a visual tweak.

The real problem is how long they held off on doing this. If they'd just treated it like the SNES games and given it a remake years ago it wouldn't have this awful hype behind it.

Also, I'd like to point out that Square has a fairly decent track record of not dumping stuff like that into remakes. FF4's remakes didn't have any new characters beyond Rydia's special summon, and that was to justify a change to gameplay. Tactics' remake added Balthier and Luso, and while Luso is pretty meh he was largely inoffensive. Square is a horrible company these days, yes, but I think people play up just how much meddling in FF7's remake they'd do.

Noi

Yeah, when FFV mobile came out SE missed the chance to change up the game and make Krile the main character like she deserves to be.

Wazzy

Banned
I just beat Persona3 so I'm finally going to go back and finish 4 Heroe's Of Light. I don't even remember what's happened that's how long ago I played it lol

I'm helping some queen kill this guy attacking the great tree and I'm a dog, cat and have a mouse party member.

Top Bottom