• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Haroon

I used these paradigms all throughout and it worked for me:

Lightning / Fang / Hope
COM / COM / RAV - Standard attacks
RAV / COM / RAV - For quick staggering
RAV / COM / MED - Healing mode
COM / COM / MED - Healing + attacking during stagger
SYN / SAB / MED - Buff/Debuff
any / any / any

Thanks for the detailed list. I will use them once I have obtained this Fang person. I am currently using COM / RAV, and COM / MED for majority of the fights since I have only two party members at the same time.

Wazzy

Banned
Gahhhhh there's so much farming required in this game. I'm going to try the secret dungeons for the crowns but they seem awful.

Mono

Thanks for the input, everyone! I'm really glad LR has a great soundtrack. XIII-2 was a little generic, IMO. I'll probably check it out once it gets lower in price.

Thanks for the input, everyone! I'm really glad LR has a great soundtrack. XIII-2 was a little generic, IMO. I'll probably check it out once it gets lower in price.

Good idea. Bought the game at full price, and though it was enjoyable at times thanks to the demanding battle system, it definitely wasn't worth the $70 CAD. Way too unpolished.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
One of the series that was able to pull off a good Fight God thing is Breath of Fire IMO.

After 1000/1000 FF13-3 I moved to the next title, Final Fantasy: Dimensions on the iPad. The game is super fun and it seems to be super long as well - I'm only in Chapter 3 after 20 hours of playtime! And still didn't get a Ship/ Airship!

It is a very old-school FF title with quite generic story (evil Avalon empire oppresses the world, there are two worlds: Light and Dark one). There is a job system in place with jobs like Bard, Dragoon, Dark Knight; Chocobos, Cid, Crystals, Moogles, Cactuars, Eidolons like Ifrit, Shiva etc. and well everything is like in FF4-FF6.

If you liked those games (I did) I think you would like this one as well.

Some random pics:

018ku0f.png

124tuqw.png

113tum6.png

028kuu0.png

This guy was a bitch to defeat:
15kjuv8.png

14mtun0.png

10s0ura.png

16jmux9.png

17kwuss.png

19jmuby.png

18ihu8b.png

Dungeon where your party is changed into Toads :) :
20sdufg.png

Shiva dies:
21y8uda.png

Beatiful background:
03waus7.png

04jpuup.png

Ramuh dies:
050kumu.png

06hwuk2.png

Finally, I can ride Black Chocobos!
07c0u0m.png

08leu02.png

094susr.png

Falk

that puzzling face
Not gonna lie, the only reason I haven't played Dimensions yet is I'm still holding out hoping someone is crazy enough to do a pixellated de-make.

edit:

cool people don't face explosions

Not gonna lie, the only reason I haven't played Dimensions yet is I'm still holding out hoping someone is crazy enough to do a pixellated de-make.

edit:

cool people don't face explosions

For me the graphics are perfectly fine. Sprites are awesome, art is great. But I understand many people cannot swallow that it is smoothed like under some shity 2xSAI setting in emulator. You get used to it after 10 minutes BTW.

Falk

that puzzling face
I was fine with the PSP versions of 1-4. This just ventures a little too far into metaphorical uncanny valley for me. It'd actually probably have helped if they'd ditched all the obviously-stencilled-over-blown-up-SNES-sprites poses and dimensions (no pun intended) and gone with its own art style while retaining the colors, but it does seem like it's trying too hard to be something it's not right now.

edit: Screw it, actually, considering it's a mobile title and how much I'm on the move I'll probably pick it up.

I know but the game is worth it, Falk. It is probably the final (heh) Final Fantasy created with 16-bit style in mind.

Perfect for the road if you have an iOS device.

My admittedly rather selfish reasons for not liking it were 'Man these graphics are such an eyesore. Why this annoying chibi look? Why can't I have my bloody sprites, darnit'

I know I'm irrational but I really did want a 16bit version.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I generally don't enjoy games I already played and beat on the NES. Plus the Job system could have been improved upon instead of lazily replicated.

jimmypython

After 1000/1000 FF13-3 I moved to the next title, Final Fantasy: Dimensions on the iPad. The game is super fun and it seems to be super long as well - I'm only in Chapter 3 after 20 hours of playtime! And still didn't get a Ship/ Airship!

It is a very old-school FF title with quite generic story (evil Avalon empire oppresses the world, there are two worlds: Light and Dark one). There is a job system in place with jobs like Bard, Dragoon, Dark Knight; Chocobos, Cid, Crystals, Moogles, Cactuars, Eidolons like Ifrit, Shiva etc. and well everything is like in FF4-FF6.

If you liked those games (I did) I think you would like this one as well.

Some random pics:

018ku0f.png

124tuqw.png

113tum6.png

028kuu0.png

This guy was a bitch to defeat:
15kjuv8.png

14mtun0.png

10s0ura.png

16jmux9.png

17kwuss.png

19jmuby.png

18ihu8b.png

Dungeon where your party is changed into Toads :) :
20sdufg.png

Shiva dies:
21y8uda.png

Beatiful background:
03waus7.png

04jpuup.png

Ramuh dies:
050kumu.png

06hwuk2.png

Finally, I can ride Black Chocobos!
07c0u0m.png

08leu02.png

094susr.png

Put it on PSN I will buy it in a heartbeat. Just that I need a controller to fully enjoy...

I am currently playing FF6A on my computer using a XBOX ONE controller -> so good!

braves01

Banned
I just got to *that part* in FFVII that people claim really tugs at the heartstrings....

I felt nothing. I just wished I'd been leveling with Tifa the whole time instead. I don't know why I wasn't tbh.

Simultaneously chipping away at FFV as well. I think I've played enough FF at this point to say I'm definitely a IV-VI person (maybe even I-VI person) rather than a big fan of VII and onward.

Put it on PSN I will buy it in a heartbeat. Just that I need a controller to fully enjoy...

I am currently playing FF6A on my computer using a XBOX ONE controller -> so good!

Hehe. FYI: I am playing it with exactly one finger. Right hand index finger for movement on map/ towns and for battle commands.

iPad gaming done right *rocks*.

My admittedly rather selfish reasons for not liking it were 'Man these graphics are such an eyesore. Why this annoying chibi look? Why can't I have my bloody sprites, darnit'

Yeah, I don't really care about sprites in games anymore. Just gameplay.

Xux

My biggest issue with the FFD demo was that the controls sucked like always having my finger in the way and the general loose feeling compared to other games in the series.

My biggest issue with the FFD demo was that the controls sucked like always having my finger in the way and the general loose feeling compared to other games in the series.

An argument could be made that all touch screen FF games have terrible controls. If they put out FFD and the remade versions of Final Fantasy V and VI for mobile using an actual controller, I would be more enticed to try them. Put them out on Vita at a cheap price, so you can control them with actual buttons. It's not so much the re-done art that turns me off, it's the fact that it's all touch screen controls that make me reject any mobile FF game.

CorvoSol

I actually really like FF3DS' looks.

braves01

Banned
Jeez, that snowboarding section in VII was just awful. Was there anything you got for doing well and collecting lots of balloons? Just curious, no way I'm reloading for that ish.

HTupolev

woops, that's what I get for changing what I was saying while typing.
Normally I can handle multiple negatives pretty well, but that was weird.

But claiming that you always break FF8 even when you aren't playing it seems to be in line with the general gist of this discussion, so you really should have played the typo as intentional.

Jeez, that snowboarding section in VII was just awful. Was there anything you got for doing well and collecting lots of balloons? Just curious, no way I'm reloading for that ish.

Your first time through, there's no reward for collecting balloons. The main purpose of it is to determine where you land on the mountain.

aravuus

Breaking FF8 is hell of a lot of fun and I really like the game otherwise too. I don't get all the flak it gets.

But I hate the magic system. I'm kind of a hoarder when it comes to RPGs so even if I had a hundred of all the -ga elemental magics, I pretty much never use them. The Junction system makes it even worse since using them would make me weaker lol

Falk

that puzzling face
I remember very clearly - when I got the game, before its actual release date. I recall this vividly - it was South East Asian release and they had a street date booboo since it was -supposed- to be Sept 9th which is my birthday and I beat the game the day before my birthday. The game was so broken that even the release date was broken.

Proceeded to break the game, prior to any guides, prior to the era of massive forum fanbase followings or gamefaqs, by figuring out you could refine Tent into Curaga and essentially make Squall limit break every turn before the Timber Owls mission.

Falk

that puzzling face
Eh, I'd say Square Enix and Japan in general wisened up to some semblance of balance after FFXI went toe to toe with WoW for a similar target market. Say what you want about the constant whining from the WoW userbase, it's consistently been one of the more balanced MMOs out there considering its installbase size and complexity.

Top Bottom