• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

HeelPower

I am playing FFVII for the first time on the steam version and about 30 hours in.This game has got to be one of the greatest ever made ,far and away the best Final Fantasy(Tied with X for me maybe because I played it back in the day and has such a strong bond with it)

I think it has one of the most sophisticated OSTs and Art Direction.The characters are presented with such humility (all this could be because the visual presentation doesn't seem pompous by today's standards)

The game play is also very well done albeit a bit easy.I dunno if steam version maybe has additional tweaks but the gameplay is so incredibly smooth and fun for such an old game.

I would like to note that Crisis Core ,which I played before playing this game,felt nothing like this and doesn't really live up to it.

Maybe I'll make an LTTP after I am done. PLEASE DON'T SPOIL THE ENDING.

CorvoSol

Jeez, that snowboarding section in VII was just awful. Was there anything you got for doing well and collecting lots of balloons? Just curious, no way I'm reloading for that ish.

I kinda actually really like Snowboarding. I think FF7 has the best minigames in the entire series.

I kinda actually really like Snowboarding. I think FF7 has the best minigames in the entire series.

Crazy Motorcycle is awesome.

Chocobo Breeding is pretty good.

Submarine is decent.

Snowboarding is not my cup of tea.

But of course the very best is
Tifa and Scarlet slapfighting

HeelPower

The minigames are really fun because there are so many of them and they just mix up the gameplay so well.

The game's pacing and variety of gameplay is remarkable.

how have you stayed unspoiled for so long?

I knew about "the death" and knew some about the nibleheim incident because I played Crisis Core.

I don't know the ending and I didn't know about the game's factions and world details and characters.

I've never played FF8 without breaking it.

Amen, the only way to play as far as I'm concerned. Also party at critical health mashing cycle button till Limit Breaks appear.

I still don't understand how people abuse the materia system.

I don't recall any "Materia abuse." Though certain combinations of Materia make the game a cake walk. Level 5 Phoenix and Level 5 Final Attack linked together, as long as you have the MP, gives you 5 whole lives for your party, which is unlikely needed really. Attach another Phoenix with MP Absorb, and you will absorb MP from the monsters, so you will not have to waste Ethers. Alright I guess the Materia system can be "abused" though linking Materia always felts super strategic to me. Final Fantasy VIII always boiled down to Junctioning for the best stats leaving Squall in critical health, and Renzokuken-ing through the whole game.

I am playing FFVII for the first time on the steam version and about 30 hours in.This game has got to be one of the greatest ever made ,far and away the best Final Fantasy(Tied with X for me maybe because I played it back in the day and has such a strong bond with it)

I think it has one of the most sophisticated OSTs and Art Direction.The characters are presented with such humility (all this could be because the visual presentation doesn't seem pompous by today's standards)

The game play is also very well done albeit a bit easy.I dunno if steam version maybe has additional tweaks but the gameplay is so incredibly smooth and fun for such an old game.

I would like to note that Crisis Core ,which I played before playing this game,felt nothing like this and doesn't really live up to it.

Maybe I'll make an LTTP after I am done. PLEASE DON'T SPOIL THE ENDING.

I wish I was playing FFVII for the first time right about now. Enjoy!

HeelPower

I'm glad you like my favorite so much.

I feel validated.

Everyone likes feeling validated.

Its a pretty amazing game ,and,imo, is worth all the hype.

The steam version and lego characters models aged really,really well.I expected some dated junk because of the way GAF sometimes talks about the game ,but its nothing like that.

Falk

that puzzling face

Holy shit people like you actually exist!

Enjoy it while you can, you only experience this once in your life. :(

edit: All of you are dumb best minigame is squats

braves01

Banned
I'm playing FFVII for the first time as well (we had an N64), also on Steam, and my thoughts aren't quite as kind.

I'm only about 20 hours in, so things might change.

Pros:
  • The summons look great, and I can only imagine how many jaws dropped seeing them for the first time, especially coming off VI. The game still looks pretty good, imo, even if the models are pretty low poly.
  • The music has been pretty good so far, but I'm struggling to think of any particular standout track
  • Battles are fast, and it's snappy in and out of them. Not sure if the PSX original was as fast.
  • The materia system adds some nice tactical depth without becoming a chore.

Cons:
  • I don't like navigating around the prerendered areas.
  • The minigames are all really bad, and they've somehow managed to become series mainstays despite being so horrible. They control sooo poorly.
  • A lot of the text really needs a new translation or just some outright changes to make the plot more comprehensible.

It's still a good game, but it doesn't hold up nearly as well as the other classic franchise leaps from 2d to 3d. Mario 64, Zelda, and MGS for example all had greater obstacles to becoming 3d, and despite that I think they're all better games today.

TLDR; I like VI better

Wazzy

Banned
Youngblade: Don't worry, you can play the game without breaking it, it's just more fun doing it that way.

VIII's system is a bit more flexible in that you can play it however you want. You can create a job system and assign each character a role or you can overpower and just rush through the game. You can skip random battles with no punishment and just really enjoy the other aspects of the game if you like.

Got a question for anyone who might know about it (Probably Falk in this case):

Square Enix basically has everything post VI up on Itunes or elsewhere in terms of their music. However, I - V are missing. Is this like with Sonic where they don't own the rights to that earlier music, hence them not selling it?

Edit: found them.

Youngblade: Don't worry, you can play the game without breaking it, it's just more fun doing it that way.

VIII's system is a bit more flexible in that you can play it however you want. You can create a job system and assign each character a role or you can overpower and just rush through the game. You can skip random battles with no punishment and just really enjoy the other aspects of the game if you like.
I see, well I'm just gonna stay off of any guides and see where that takes me. I'll probably start playing it when I'm done with XIII-2.

Style

Banned
Got a question for anyone who might know about it (Probably Falk in this case):

Square Enix basically has everything post VI up on Itunes or elsewhere in terms of their music. However, I - V are missing. Is this like with Sonic where they don't own the rights to that earlier music, hence them not selling it?

I don't think that's the problem. The Playstation versions are all available through PSN.

Mono

been doing my first run though, decided not to farm 100 Water. how much have i messed up?

You'll be fine; you don't have to draw spam enemies because there are specific items that you can exchange for spells at the shops. I don't remember if there's a water one, but I don't know why there wouldn't be!

Wazzy

Banned
You don't ever need water spells so you'll be fine. Honestly, unless you're restricting yourself, you can breeze by just limit breaking with Squall, Zell and Rinoa. A few GF's abilities and some refining and you can get any spell easily. Main thing is to world map draw on two specific islands later in the game where they'll give you the strongest spells however you'll need to put on No-enc because the strongest enemies in the game are located on the two islands.

I see, well I'm just gonna stay off of any guides and see where that takes me. I'll probably start playing it when I'm done with XIII-2.

If you have any questions you can just ask us!

HeelPower

If you don't wanna bother with FF8's draw system then just get the steam version and enjoy the world and the story.

I believe it has an option to make you ridiculously overpowered with the booster.

Although I think the draw system and the card game were really unique design options not found commonly in RPGs.Its fun to try them for once at least.

Wazzy

Banned
I have yet to get the Lionheart in the first disc. Failure.

If only V were so easy to break.
I've got a save doing it. I never beat it though. I was planning to go back after I beat a couple games but I'll probably do it for VIII's NA anniversary.
If you don't wanna bother with FF8's draw system then just get the steam version and enjoy the world and the story.

I believe it has an option to make you ridiculously overpowered with the booster.

Although I think the draw system and the card game were really unique design options not found commonly in RPGs.Its fun to try them for once at least.

Yeah TT is a fantastic game and is one of the best mini games in the series. It's wonderful how it can tie into the gameplay as well giving even more incentives to collect all cards.

The draw system isn't very good tbh outside of drawing GF's and world map magic. The real interesting introduction was the junction system. It's such a customizable system that offers a lot. Only issue is how broken it is combined with the other aspects of VIII.

HeelPower

The draw system isn't very good tbh outside of drawing GF's and world map magic. The real interesting introduction was the junction system. It's such a customizable system that offers a lot. Only issue is how broken it is combined with the other aspects of VIII.

The entire setup is certainly unique and has a lot of effort put into.

I really do wish RPGs hinged on things other than combat.FF8 did it with triple triad.That was a really brave risk.

They could have easily rehashed the materia system but they didn't.Square was truly a leading developer.

iosefe

You'll be fine; you don't have to draw spam enemies because there are specific items that you can exchange for spells at the shops. I don't remember if there's a water one, but I don't know why there wouldn't be!
there is an item, you can farm literally the moment you hit the world map, go to the shore, and murder fish

Style

Banned
Nevermind. I found them. Don't know how I missed them...

Oh, you meant the soundtracks? I thought we were talking about the games.

iCI1JLGV1sqGM.gif

Man all this FF8 talk is making wanna start playing it so bad.

Do it. It's fantastic!

Man all this FF8 talk is making wanna start playing it so bad.

I actually liked the gameplay of VIII better than VII's, much to my surprise with how much crap the Junction System gets. It's really not that hard to understand. Hell, I don't even mind drawing too much (though I only got 5 hours into the game... definitely going back) even though I really thought I would.

Oh, you meant the soundtracks? I thought we were talking about the games.

iCI1JLGV1sqGM.gif

Do it. It's fantastic!
I already did, I couldn't help it. I'm going to have to balance Persona 4, FF XIII-2, and FF VIII but I'm hoping that it's going to be worth it.

I actually liked the gameplay of VIII better than VII's, much to my surprise with how much crap the Junction System gets. It's really not that hard to understand. Hell, I don't even mind drawing too much (though I only got 5 hours into the game... definitely going back) even though I really thought I would.
After playing FF XIII, I'm pretty much open to a lot of stuff when it comes to RPG and games in general. The amount of hate the game got turned me away for it but when I finally played it I really enjoyed it.

HeelPower

YoungBlade you should also get FFX HD on PS3.I think its unmissable if you actually like XIII.

Its really modern, accessible and intuitive to play as well.
My favorite game of all time.Love it to death.

YoungBlade you should also get FFX HD on PS3.I think its unmissable if you actually like XIII.

Its really modern, accessible and intuitive to play as well.
My favorite game of all time.Love it to death.
I had the game for PS2 about 2 years ago, but I stopped playing it right before the Yunalesca fight because I was intimidated by it. Looking back, that was really stupid. I'm probably going to get FF X HD somewhere down the line, not much of the game is fresh in my mind besides a few things that stood out to me (
the wedding, every Seymour fight, the underwater kissing scene
)

HeelPower

I had the game for PS2 about 2 years ago, but I stopped playing it right before the Yunalesca fight because I was intimidated by it. Looking back, that was really stupid. I'm probably going to get FF X HD somewhere down the line, not much of the game is fresh in my mind besides a few things that stood out to me (
the wedding, every Seymour fight, the underwater kissing scene
)

It looks so good in the HD version too.You gotta get it.

Falk

that puzzling face
You just have to git gud. Hot and Cold was by far the most meaningful Chocobo minigame in any Square Enix game not dedicated to Chocobos, ever.

(Of course, with competition like FFX balloons...)

Falk

that puzzling face
Against all valid machinations of common sense I decided to return to platinum FFX-2 in a period of time where I'm likely to be swamped with crunch at a moments notice.

You know what's worse than trying to follow a guide for 100% story in FFX-2? Trying to follow one after taking a break for months right smack in the middle of Chapter 5 with a whole bunch of half-done Episode Completes in varying stages of almost-ness.

I feel my scalp pushing out new hairs just so they can fall off.

edit: I'm so not going to get 100% this playthrough. I just feel it. Should plan something awesome/ludicrous ahead of time on the small chance that I actually do hit it.

Messiah

What's your favourite summon GAF?

I always liked that you could fight as the aeon in Final Fantasy X and Anima was just an absolute beast, so I'll go with her.

aravuus

The Atomos FMV from FF IX is really goddamn cool so that one probably. IX had some pretty awesome summons otherwise too.

Gameplay-wise it's hard to say cause I never really use summons in the games.

Top Bottom