• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Was doing a throwback thursday thingoo on facebook and thought I might as well post it here. Wazzy would appreciate it at least lol

tl;dr Falk transcribes a bunch of shit as a kid, finds it 16 years later and gets all nostalgic.

bonus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diZjDsMeMFk

Wow! I've found transcribing music to be incredibly difficult, I'm starting to think I'm either tone deaf or I need to practice piano way more than I'm able. Your Eyes on Me transcription looks like the sheet music from the Final Fantasy Piano Collection.

Any advice when it comes to transcribing by ear?

I've mostly been an incredibly slow sight reader, to the point where I start jotting notes on the sheet music, like when to hit sharps, and other silly things I forget. It just turns into muscle memory, sometimes that's a good thing, other times I tend to play a song either too fast or too slow. Eventually I'm able to just play the song without sheet music, but when I'm out of practice, I tend to go back to my sheet music that I've annotated like a mad man.

iosefe

so i'm finally at the endgame hustle of Final Fantasy X. got my airship and i'm ready to explore

and in preparation, i will be drafting names for the 3 remaining Aeons.

Yojimbo
Anima
Magus Sisters

it will take a while, but yeah, might as well do this now

Mcdohl

PS era Final Fantasy really went over the top with some animations. I really love those.

Final Fantasy VII - Super Nova by Sephiroth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CCI-UZtEi4

Final Fantasy VIII - Eden (summon)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Nqt0B3MHQ

Final Fantasy IX - Ark (summon)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p82ZY3wubL4

Is there any animation before/after the PS era FFs that comes close to this level of madness?

FFXII comes a bit close but not enough imo.

FFXV seems to want to go back to the over the topness. But I don't know if they will go 'destroy a galaxy' levels of over the top.

Falk

that puzzling face
Wow! I've found transcribing music to be incredibly difficult, I'm starting to think I'm either tone deaf or I need to practice piano way more than I'm able. Your Eyes on Me transcription looks like the sheet music from the Final Fantasy Piano Collection.

Any advice when it comes to transcribing by ear?

I've mostly been an incredibly slow sight reader, to the point where I start jotting notes on the sheet music, like when to hit sharps, and other silly things I forget. It just turns into muscle memory, sometimes that's a good thing, other times I tend to play a song either too fast or too slow. Eventually I'm able to just play the song without sheet music, but when I'm out of practice, I tend to go back to my sheet music that I've annotated like a mad man.

I wouldn't know what to tell you lol.

For my Grade 8 ABRSM, I got a 9/21 for sight reading (passing was 14/21)

In terms of transcriptions, I think mostly I learnt from just how to figure out the top notes (virtually everyone does this, when humming a song, etc) and bottom notes, to figuring out how stacks of chords generally sound, especially things like quartals or clusters, since there was so much of those in VIII Piano Collections.

I wouldn't know what to tell you lol.

For my Grade 8 ABRSM, I got a 9/21 for sight reading (passing was 14/21)

In terms of transcriptions, I think mostly I learnt from just how to figure out the top notes (virtually everyone does this, when humming a song, etc) and bottom notes, to figuring out how stacks of chords generally sound, especially things like quartals or clusters, since there was so much of those in VIII Piano Collections.

Wow, this is the first time I've heard of ABRSM, sounds like a very classy and effective way to learn. I mainly learned piano from small lessons in sight reading sheet music from my grandmother. From there I just downloaded sheet music (mostly Final Fantasy, and other video game) and played them. If I had trouble playing a piece correctly I would run to Playstation and try to match the cadence of how the song is played.

At best I could barely transcribe Kingdom Heart's top notes of Hikari, at an incredibly basic level. Once I have to start playing chords it starts sounding terrible lol. Accenting it with the bottom notes seemed impossible. Man I need to get my hands on a piano again.

Do you have a channel I can watch you play your own transcriptions, heck original music? I love original piano transcriptions.

The recent FFVII translation thread has me questioning whether or not I'm crazy.

I first played VII around the year 2000 after hearing my classmates talk about IX. Went to Electronics Etc and bought a blue box that google tells me was a later "Platinum" release. And I distinctly remember the default being "Aerith." So I had always assumed that the PC version was corrected after the playstation release, but now that's being contradicted. Furthermore, apparently the steam re-release retains "Aeris." I just don't think my 10 or 11 year old self would have had a chance to come across "Aerith" for several years before creating a false memory or something like that.

Can anyone corroborate there being a PC release where it defaulted to "Aerith?" I wish I could find my old FFVII CDs, but I've probably thrown them away. : (

I had it on PC when it came out; it was Aeris. Your memory's lying to you, old man ;)

iosefe

so for FFX, once i have a character's full Celestial, i just don't need any other weapons for them right?

i got Khimari's first and kinda want to offload the older spears

Ultratech

so for FFX, once i have a character's full Celestial, i just don't need any other weapons for them right?

i got Khimari's first and kinda want to offload the older spears

I haven't done that in so long.

IIRC, the Celestial weapons are generally top-tier excluding really specific setups for certain strategies.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
XIV ARR is strange to me. Oh well. I can finally play as an old guy with a greataxe so I ain't complaining.

Never played an MMO ever

Wazzy

Banned
Ughhhh seattle tickets for distant worlds is sold out and I only needed two. :(

I did get tickets with Bluebadger to the Vancouver intimate Concert which I'm excited about! It might not be Distant Worlds but it's still FF music.

Ughhhh seattle tickets for distant worlds is sold out and I only needed two. :(

I did get tickets with Bluebadger to the Vancouver intimate Concert which I'm excited about! It might not be Distant Worlds but it's still FF music.

So. Fricken. Excited. <33333!

CorvoSol

So I've been playing through the series again with some friends after Bravely Default pretty much broke my desire to touch Square Enix products last year (or the year before?). I'm up to Final Fantasy V now (I had to skip IV because I didn't bring it with me when I went to China.) So here are my thoughts on the three I've beaten thus far. Obviously this isn't my first time through any of them.

Final Fantasy I- PSP ver.

I played through all of this except the final bonus dungeon. I'm not entirely certain what there is to say about Final Fantasy I. It's not exactly a love or hate game, in my opinion. It simply sort of exists. And I don't really think it's bad. My friends finished it in a day. I took longer, mostly because I did the Soul of Chaos, and about that I DO have something to say.

Fuck whoever designed Soul of Chaos. Fuck them with a rusty dagger in the eye.

I've done Soul of Chaos plenty of times, but it's only now really struck me how much I really, really hate the Earth Shrine. And you might think that that's just because I've been through it before, but the truth of the matter is that the Earth Shrine is designed specifically to piss the player off. Even more so than the far, far longer dungeons. This is because where, at most, you run through those longer dungeons twice, you MUST do the Earth Shrine 4 times to get all its prizes, (which aren't really that great by the time you can kill the bosses) and above all, there are specific floors designed to force you through them as slowly as possible.

Although not as egregious as the "slow moving NPCs in bottlenecks on set paths who cannot be forced aside" floor of later dungeons, the undead soldier forest is still a colossal pain in the ass. Once is fine, but by the time you're trudging through the narrow maze of forced encounters with woefully week enemies, listening to the irritating track and cursing at yourself for taking a turn you just KNEW was wrong for the fourth time, you come to develop a hatred for the man who designed that floor and knew you'd be coming back to it.

Some parts of the Soul of Chaos are fun, like the World Maps or the Dancer floors, but not that forest. Dear sweet LORD not that forest. Aside from this there isn't a whole lot to say about Final Fantasy I. It's a simple classic, and one I'm content to dutifully roll through with my standardized party once every few years to kick off my playthrough.

Final Fantasy II- GBA ver

On the other hand, I really am not the biggest fan of Final Fantasy II. Most of that comes from the fact that fucking hate it's endless empty room fuckery every single fucking dungeon forever, but also I'm just not that in love with it. I also have a bad habit of marching to Mysidia as soon as I pick up Minwu in order to break the game as soon as possible and never have to struggle again.

That said, there are a lot of things about II I do appreciate. Where I is a very basic game with simple, but effective, systems, II is a much, much more ambitious undertaking. Things like the Ask/Learn/Use system make the character's role in conversations somewhat more than clicking a every few seconds. The character growth system remains a dynamic idea to this very day. The plot's F-grade, but it did introduce a lot of things that would go on to become major staples of Final Fantasy: Dragoons, Chocobos, Dark Knights, and so on.

#ToadMagicUberAlles

Final Fantasy III- PSP ver

Now, I've played this game three times before on DS and never had a problem, so I don't know if things were changed in the PSP port or not, but I kind of came to hate this game in a way that sort of alarmed me, because I used to love it. Aesthetically I still do. I love the Yoshida art and chibi look. I love the way it sort of serves as a spiritual predecessor to both 4 Heroes of Light and Bravely Default. I kinda even dig the low poly feel.

But I can't really excuse how wildly unbalanced the game is. For starters, you don't receive Life magic until AFTER you kill Garuda. For the uninitiated this is during your quest for the 4th and final crystal. As in, you don't receive the Life spell until you're more or less 3/4ths of the way into the game.

And phoenix downs are not for sale. So if somebody dies, they're dead until you return to a town to heal them. Which is how it was in older NES games. But there's a difference between this and all three of the NES games. A major difference that caused me no small amount of frustration.

You see, in the NES version bosses really didn't have all that much HP and they only had 1 turn per turn. In the PSP version bosses have between 2 and 5 turns and sometimes as much as 20x as much HP. You might think that an extra turn isn't -that- big a deal, but it is, because bosses tend to use that second turn to attack the same person they just attacked. Your party might be 5 levels overprepared for this area but you will NOT be tanking two hits to the same character. You just won't. At level 60 I was BARELY reaching 3000 HP on my Ninja, and bosses are regularly going to be dealing 1000 damage a hit as early as Salamander.

And GOD HELP YOU if you're unprepared for the Cerberus fight, where it gets 3 turns, or the Twinhead fight, where it can deal around 5000 a hit once it casts haste. I certainly hope you invested in more than 1 healer.

It's frustrating, really, realize not only how worthless some classes are (Bard, Scholar and Archer have absolutely no worth while Geomancer, Dark Knight and White Mage are nearly indispensable for the game's bulk) and how outmatched you are in spite of spending a significant amount of time grinding just two bosses ago. It's nearly the level of bad pacing that broke my interest in Dimensions. All of it is compounded by the fact that I really, really did love FF3DS.

Red Mage

Actually, the worst thing about III, even in the NES version, was that HP is the only stat tied to class level ups. In other words, ALWAYS switch jobs just before leveling so that you can get that extra HP growth in.

CorvoSol

Corvo did you just diss the Scholar? That's the best class in the game after the Viking.

You don't even need Scholar for the one fight you're supposed to need Scholar for.

Books aren't even actually sold for Scholar until after the floating continent. You have to raid a castle to find any.

Also hey guys how bout dat ffvii remake huh

You don't even need Scholar for the one fight you're supposed to need Scholar for.

Books aren't even actually sold for Scholar until after the floating continent. You have to raid a castle to find any.

Also hey guys how bout dat ffvii remake huh

Ironically, that is when the Scholar is at its worst. Right after the water crystal is when you can start stealing the second tier of attack items (Bomb Arm, Arctic Winds, and Heavenly Wraths). Since the Scholar has the fastest Job Level growth rate in the game and all of his equips increase his INT quite a bit, it's possible to nuke all the bosses pre Eureka in 2-3 turns. Especially since there is no damage cap in the game (only displays up to 9999 but you can deal more).

I'll need more time to think about the FF7 remake, but I think its more of a product of fake hype and nostalgia rather than something that is necessary.

Well, who knows when XVI will go into any type of production now...

I'm sure Square is aiming for 2017 for the VII Remake, but with Square being...Square, I would not be surprised by a delay.

Wazzy

Banned
Said it on Twitter, but I'll say it here too: don't get excited until you see gameplay footage of FF7R.
I'm extremely apprehensive about this remake but I'm still kind of into the hype from how crazy the announcement was.

Maybe it means VIII will get something in the future. :D

CorvoSol

Ironically, that is when the Scholar is at its worst. Right after the water crystal is when you can start stealing the second tier of attack items (Bomb Arm, Arctic Winds, and Heavenly Wraths). Since the Scholar has the fastest Job Level growth rate in the game and all of his equips increase his INT quite a bit, it's possible to nuke all the bosses pre Eureka in 2-3 turns. Especially since there is no damage cap in the game (only displays up to 9999 but you can deal more).

I'll need more time to think about the FF7 remake, but I think its more of a product of fake hype and nostalgia rather than something that is necessary.

Or I could just use Dark Knight and Geomancer cuz they're ballers

Said it on Twitter, but I'll say it here too: don't get excited until you see gameplay footage of FF7R.

Even then, how much of XV changed since the first 'gameplay' footage we saw of it.

I have now decided XIV ARR is the best FF I've ever picked up. Something about it just resonates with me.

Well dang, son. Glad I picked up the 10 dollar copy with the free month on Amazon.

Golnei

I'm just interested in watching what happens to the VII remake, whether it's the impossibly perfect reconceptualisation that somehow manages to balance inherently opposed design and aesthetic philosophies which people instinctively expect; or an over-budgeted, incoherent mess doomed to wallow in development hell for the next decade. I hope they don't change Wall Market too much, at least.
If Nomura has any sense, he'll update the hot tub scene to be more consensual, and make the nameless extras doppelgangers of Jecht, Auron, Wakka, Gadot, Rygdea, Snow, Raijin, Kiros, Ward, Basch, Vossler, Cid nan Garlond, Gladiolus and Cor.

Hopefully the Nier sequel turns out well. The staff attached to it look suspiciously perfect, but it's still early on; and the project could befall any number of unfortunate setbacks.

aravuus

I have now decided XIV ARR is the best FF I've ever picked up. Something about it just resonates with me.

Wish I could say the same. I've picked it up again a couple of times, but I always stop after 10 hours or so and never just come back. I play it as if it was a solo RPG, I don't really care about the MMO aspects since none of my friends play it, so I'm kinda bummed out to hear how bad people think the ARR story is compared to the original FF XIV one. And the first 10 hours really aren't very interesting at all.

Also I really dislike the writing in general. You know, the way people talk etc

Still the most fun MMO I've played though, and I've tried SW: TOR, WoW, GW2, Wildstar and a bunch of F2P ones

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Wish I could say the same. I've picked it up again a couple of times, but I always stop after 10 hours or so and never just come back. I play it as if it was a solo RPG, I don't really care about the MMO aspects since none of my friends play it, so I'm kinda bummed out to hear how bad people think the ARR story is compared to the original FF XIV one. And the first 10 hours really aren't very interesting at all.

Also I really dislike the writing in general. You know, the way people talk etc

Still the most fun MMO I've played though, and I've tried SW: TOR, WoW, GW2, Wildstar and a bunch of F2P ones

Well I find it fun and I really enjoy the dungeon battles where you work together with other people.

And if I find the dialogue irritating to look at I can just skip it and read the journal to get the specifics.

I do agree the first hours is a slog though. But I played through Xenosaga 2. So it was quite doable.

sasuke_91

I'm not sure if I should finish the PS1 version of FF VII or just wait 2 years (or more) for the Remaster. I'm stuck at Disc 1 and haven't really played much for quite some time. The game really has its flaws and is a bit too easy. I should have played this 10 years ago :D

Giruvegan

i've decided to finish my steam playthrough of VII in celebration of the remake announcement. it's probably gonna be awhile before it's anywhere close to release, and there's still that very real possibility that it turns out to not be the dream that i always imagined it to be, but until i find out, i'm pretty content to ride out the hype.

i've been enjoying ARR on and off for the past six months now. getting close to the 500hr mark. still miffed about the viera decision. being a kid rabbit forest kid with axes would've been neat, but, it's still relatively fun, since this is my first MMO.

aravuus

Since no one answered me in the other thread, I'll ask here: did anyone finish FFVII with the fan retranslation? I kinda wanna give it a try, but it'd be real nice to know beforehand what to expect of it

And if I find the dialogue irritating to look at I can just skip it and read the journal to get the specifics.

That's one way to deal with bad dialogue haha

Xux

How the heck did World of Final Fantasy get announced for localization before Final Fantasy Explorers?

Also, I hope they still do FFV and FFVI remakes eventually.

Dishy

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about to get the FFX-X2 Remaster on the PS4 for the first time. Can't wait to play it!
I entered the series with the hated FF13-Trilogy (which I loved btw). Played Type 0 HD and the XV demo too.

CorvoSol

I'm just interested in watching what happens to the VII remake, whether it's the impossibly perfect reconceptualisation that somehow manages to balance inherently opposed design and aesthetic philosophies which people instinctively expect; or an over-budgeted, incoherent mess doomed to wallow in development hell for the next decade. I hope they don't change Wall Market too much, at least.
If Nomura has any sense, he'll update the hot tub scene to be more consensual, and make the nameless extras doppelgangers of Jecht, Auron, Wakka, Gadot, Rygdea, Snow, Raijin, Kiros, Ward, Basch, Vossler, Cid nan Garlond, Gladiolus and Cor.

Hopefully the Nier sequel turns out well. The staff attached to it look suspiciously perfect, but it's still early on; and the project could befall any number of unfortunate setbacks.

yeah this is what a sensible man should spend time and resources developing

How the heck did World of Final Fantasy get announced for localization before Final Fantasy Explorers?

This. Also where's the 3DS port of the first Final Fantasy? Its a month away from the 25th anniversary of the US release on the NES and we still have nary a word.

Xux

This. Also where's the 3DS port of the first Final Fantasy? Its a month away from the 25th anniversary of the US release on the NES and we still have nary a word.
Yeah, that looked neat. I'm also surprised there was nothing on Bravely Second.

Pachimari

Just a quick question. I intent on completing Tactics War of the Lions on my LG G3 but is Final Fantasy VI worth playing through on Android?

Just a quick question. I intent on completing Tactics War of the Lions on my LG G3 but is Final Fantasy VI worth playing through on Android?

Apart from looking like visual puke, it has most of the gameplay bugs from the original release fixed and controls alright with the touch controls. Its better than the PS1 release but worse than the GBA imo.

Pachimari

I am enjoying Final Fantasy VI immensely on my Android. Absolutely love it so far - ignoring some slight control issues while walking around.

Fou-Lu

Just beat FF12, I've now beaten every mainline game not counting MMOs. Think I will move on to spin offs and sequels next. I've already beaten the three Crystal Chronicles games and Tactics and Tactics Advance. So I have:

After Years, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, X-2, Revenant Wings, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, Tactics A2, Crystal Bearers. Am I missing anything? Which of those games are good? Which are bad? Which are the best?

So brehs, i have been playing ff4 (ds version) and i just got to
tower of zot
and im getting wrecked. These ice tiger things nuke my party in one turn. My party is around level 30 on average. I figure i have a solid 2 hours of grinding to get myself up to snuff but im just not feeling it. Games these days have spoiled me and there doesnt feel like anything interesting to keep me going. More stale turn based combat and a only mildly interesting story. I beat ffs 1-3 but this might be where i have to get off the ride

Top Bottom