• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Just beat FF12, I've now beaten every mainline game not counting MMOs. Think I will move on to spin offs and sequels next. I've already beaten the three Crystal Chronicles games and Tactics and Tactics Advance. So I have:

After Years, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, X-2, Revenant Wings, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, Tactics A2, Crystal Bearers. Am I missing anything? Which of those games are good? Which are bad? Which are the best?

Don't forget the Chocobo Games. Tactics A2 is a better game than the first advance, if you ignore the shoddy story. Crystal Bearers is alright if you realize that the main focus is the story and not the combat. After Years and Dirge of Cerberus are overall mediocre.

So brehs, i have been playing ff4 (ds version) and i just got to
tower of zot
and im getting wrecked. These ice tiger things nuke my party in one turn. My party is around level 30 on average. I figure i have a solid 2 hours of grinding to get myself up to snuff but im just not feeling it. Games these days have spoiled me and there doesnt feel like anything interesting to keep me going. More stale turn based combat and a only mildly interesting story. I beat ffs 1-3 but this might be where i have to get off the ride

You're making the right choice. 4 is the worst out of the mainline games imo and you're not really missing anything if you don't complete it.

Pachimari

I have never ever completed a Final Fantasy game - dunno what my problem is. I rarely complete games but thankfully I have gotten more and more into the series with the years. I only first got into it when Final Fantasy VIII released.

Oh well, will try hard to complete Final Fantasy VI.

Also to the above. Go for Crisis Core, it is fantastic!

CorvoSol

So brehs, i have been playing ff4 (ds version) and i just got to
tower of zot
and im getting wrecked. These ice tiger things nuke my party in one turn. My party is around level 30 on average. I figure i have a solid 2 hours of grinding to get myself up to snuff but im just not feeling it. Games these days have spoiled me and there doesnt feel like anything interesting to keep me going. More stale turn based combat and a only mildly interesting story. I beat ffs 1-3 but this might be where i have to get off the ride

You should find gear in there that either protects you from their attacks or lets you deal extra damage to them. Like ice armor and a fire sword or something. Also, if you've got the Darkness augment it should help Cecil deal more damage to those nerds.

It's worth noting FFIV DS is the hardest version of FFIV, so you might be struggling a bit because of that. After FFIV, though, there won't be a lot of required grinding in the series. FFV ~maybe~ but only for AP. I'm a mere level 40 and I was able to kill Omega and Shinryu (the hardest non GBA exclusive bosses in the game) with relative ease. 6 until, like, 10, is easy street (if you can sit through 9's snoresville slowfights).

Pachimari

I keep reading that the Android version have the bad versions of the character sprites in Final Fantasy VI. This is the first time I play FFVI and thus the only version I have played. Can someone show me the better sprites? And will those be from the GBA one?

Meowster

Art direction and music are amazing

All the locations in the game are very original and gorgeous
I just remember being a highly impressionable and very dumb little seven year old, taking two days to figure out how to get to the fire cavern, and spending a whole evening driving around before heading to Balamb. Just such good memories. I found my in-school journal from second grade and I frequently wrote about what I did with my FFVIII party that day. :)

Pachimari

So as most of you know, I am going through Final Fantasy VI and really enjoying it.

I just got through the whole Phantom Train section with Sabin and jumped the falls, and there a single monster knocked out both Cyan and Sabin.

Now I have to start the whole section over again. In fact, it took me all the way back to where I have to memorize a lights pattern with Terra.

Absolute BULLSHIT, that I have to play through 1 hour of content I have already dealed with.

WHAT IS THIS SHIT?

I'm frustrated.

I'm not gonna give up because I have really set myself up to complete a Final Fantasy title but this kills me inside.

What am I supposed to do?
Normally this is what makes me quit games.

[edit]
I'm actually all the way back at the camp Sabin is sneaking into and where Kefka turns up.

This is unbelievable. Did I do something wrong? When I died the screen just turned black and started up where Terra is. Why do I have to replay 1-2 hours of gameplay because of a single enemy KO'ing me?

I just want to know, why it places me 2 hours back. Are the tents somekind of checkpoints?

wrowa

B9HHpTi.png

You can save your game at those sparkling lights. Not sure if you are aware of that or how you've been saving your game thus far. You have to save manually, though.

Pachimari

B9HHpTi.png

You can save your game at those sparkling lights. Not sure if you are aware of that or how you've been saving your game thus far. You have to save manually, though.
Oh wow. I always just go through them and I thought they would just quick save. I always just quick save in the menu.

I'm now at Barren Falls two hours later again and I'm afraid to lose my whole progress for the second time straight:

RLAfv70

But when I die, I can not load my game, why? It just starts with Terra going back to the Returners hideout.

I'm honestly too afraid to jump the Barren Falls. I don't wanna have to do it all over again if I did. And there are no glowing lights to save... :(

[edit]
Should I just continue my game? I will probably lose 1 hour of progress again...

sasuke_91

Always save manually. Quick save does not work if your party is wiped out, only if you quit the game and Continue. If your party is wiped out you're taken back to the point where you last saved manually.
And yeah, dying in a Final Fantasy game is always frustrating.

Pachimari

Oh wow, I can save on the world map! And I only found out about that 6 hours after starting the game. Which is a relief. I have now progressed in the game, fantastic.

I am so set on completing this Final Fantasy.

sasuke_91

Oh wow, I can save on the world map! And I only found out about that 6 hours after starting the game. Which is a relief. I have now progressed in the game, fantastic.
Being able to save on the world map has become so natural to me that I didn't even consider mentioning it. It wasn't mentioned in the game? I remember that house in Narshe were a lot of things were explained to the player before he went out to the World Map.

Pachimari

Being able to save on the world map has become so natural to me that I didn't even consider mentioning it. It wasn't mentioned in the game? I remember that house in Narshe were a lot of things were explained to the player before he went out to the World Map.
I talk to everybody, so I might have either forgotten about it or missed a person explaining it.

I'm just happy I have progressed now. :)

Just beat FF12, I've now beaten every mainline game not counting MMOs. Think I will move on to spin offs and sequels next. I've already beaten the three Crystal Chronicles games and Tactics and Tactics Advance. So I have:

After Years, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, X-2, Revenant Wings, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, Tactics A2, Crystal Bearers. Am I missing anything? Which of those games are good? Which are bad? Which are the best?

FFX-2 will spoil you. That game has the best version of the ATB system in existence. It's super face paced and so much fun.

Psxphile

Did the mobile version of FFVI keep the "you lose progress since your last save, Gil and items obtained/expended when you die but keep XP/Levels/stats gained" mechanic?

Banzai

I'm playing FFIX again and I just can't find some of those goddamn friendly monsters. I read the yeti is supposed to be in the forests near madain sari or on the fields near burmecia. I ran around both places for 3 hours EACH. Still nothing. Should have done it before CD4 huh

I'm playing FFIX again and I just can't find some of those goddamn friendly monsters. I read the yeti is supposed to be in the forests near madain sari or on the fields near burmecia. I ran around both places for 3 hours EACH. Still nothing. Should have done it before CD4 huh

You did find all the ones before the Yeti, right?

"Large forest near Madain Sari, or plains between the Gizamaluke's Grotto and Burmecia, the green area before the rain starts."

That's all I was able to find. I think you might have to keep searching unfortunately.

Banzai

"Large forest near Madain Sari, or plains between the Gizamaluke's Grotto and Burmecia, the green area before the rain starts."

That's all I was able to find. I think you might have to keep searching unfortunately.

I got it! I actually just got it! Complaining really does help haha. thanks!

I... really don't remember much of the locations. I recall Dollet, mostly from due to the demo, but it came off very generic looking, world-wise, to me.

That's really strange to me. Generic is about the last word I would use. FF8 world has this interesting clean future-Europe look to it that hasn't really been done anywhere else

http://imgur.com/a/YvbvM The earlier ones here are mostly FF7, but like.. yeah. Doesn't even include stuff like the Shumi Village and Esthar

Pachimari

I actually find it funny how I can't find the normal edition of Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD for PS4 at any retailers here. But everyone have the LIMITED Edition.

Cheating my way through ff4 and it feels glorious
A stiff challenge is one thing. Elemental tigers with 4k hp that do 1k+ damage to my party each turn is quite another

Banzai

Aww Yiss. Beat Ozma/Yadis with my party at ~LV65, stole all four items from him AND he dropped both the dark matter and the pumice, which I think is very improbable by itself. Perfect Ozma run? Perfect Ozma run.

Guess I'll go beat up Kuja tomorrow.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Well I beat the the main scenario in XIV ARR in the most pitiful way imaginable.

Watching cutscenes was a mistake. The rest of the 8 man party must have done it before because they bum rushed through the door and left me behind. And they proceeded to bum rush every boss so I had to sit and watch every cutscene like a movie.

Doesn't help when I did have control the game had a handful of mobs scattered around.

But free EXP. I'm not complaining.

Would have liked to fight Ultima Weapon though.

And no I wasn't skipping cutscenes my first time through so meh on that.

DMTripper

Hey,

I'm getting into ffxiv, my first MMO playing on the PS4. I've got to level 22 playing as a lancer DPS build. I kinda know what I'm doing but at the same time don't :p

Is there a good guide anywhere that breaks stuff down for my n00b mind? I feel as though I'm missing out on stuff, but not sure what(stuff like making friends, ps4 guilds etc) ! I've realised I've over levelled the main quest and now catching up on that. I think I'm doing level 19 main quests now. Soooooo want a mount and I think that's coming up soon, thank God!

Overall I'm really enjoying the game. It has a cool story so far and I'm not skipping dialogue like I was in ESO. I gave up on that game really quickly, hence why I'm playing this.

One last question is that can I continue with a controller? I'm doing OK so far but my hot bars are filling up fast.

PS hopefully this is the right thread to post this in.

Xux

Hey,

I'm getting into ffxiv, my first MMO playing on the PS4. I've got to level 22 playing as a lancer DPS build. I kinda know what I'm doing but at the same time don't :p

Is there a good guide anywhere that breaks stuff down for my n00b mind? I feel as though I'm missing out on stuff, but not sure what(stuff like making friends, ps4 guilds etc) ! I've realised I've over levelled the main quest and now catching up on that. I think I'm doing level 19 main quests now. Soooooo want a mount and I think that's coming up soon, thank God!

Overall I'm really enjoying the game. It has a cool story so far and I'm not skipping dialogue like I was in ESO. I gave up on that game really quickly, hence why I'm playing this.

One last question is that can I continue with a controller? I'm doing OK so far but my hot bars are filling up fast.

PS hopefully this is the right thread to post this in.
There is thread for it here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1066713

I don't know of any beginner guides but just asking lots of questions is probably easier.

Plenty of people use controllers at max level with 35~ abilities. Just gotta keep in mind the whole extra bar from L2+R2.

Falk

that puzzling face
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions

I've really wanted to play this game for a while, and I'm just starting now. But right off the bat, I'm slapped in the face with what feels like a ton of different gameplay systems and it just feels incredibly daunting (as a Fire Emblem vet I at least understand the concepts of SRPGs). I tried to follow a guide but it really didn't seem to be too helpful to a newcomer like me. Does anyone have any tips/ a really good guide for me to follow? I'd really like to see everything the game has to offer.

An easy way to cheese Ramza into godhood so I can just enjoy the story would be acceptable too.

I've really wanted to play this game for a while, and I'm just starting now. But right off the bat, I'm slapped in the face with what feels like a ton of different gameplay systems and it just feels incredibly daunting (as a Fire Emblem vet I at least understand the concepts of SRPGs). I tried to follow a guide but it really didn't seem to be too helpful to a newcomer like me. Does anyone have any tips/ a really good guide for me to follow? I'd really like to see everything the game has to offer.

An easy way to cheese Ramza into godhood so I can just enjoy the story would be acceptable too.

1) Max out Squire for every unit, ESPECIALLY Ramza. Squires learn the always good "JP Up" (which is self-explanatory). Ramza in particular learns one of the best abilities (Shout) which is great for ending turns with since it's not only a self-buff but also gives JP. Speaking of which...

2) Try and have any given unit end their turn by doing something while in random battles. Squire is good for this since they learn "Stone" which lets you chuck a rock at a target for minimal damage. You can throw rocks at higher-level teammates for easy JP. If a character isn't hurting for JP, then don't be afraid to have them Wait, since it means they'll get to their next turn quicker.

3) Classes are unlocked by reaching certain levels with other classes. This is only applicable for one character. Example, you unlocking Ninja for Ramza doesn't unlock it for everyone else.

4) JP earned by any given character in battle trickles down to everyone else in battle for that class. It's only a percentage (about 1/4), but it goes a long way.

5) Abilities are more important than the classes themselves, unless you're trying to min-max.

6) Always, always, ALWAYS try to go for max Bravery. Bravery #s are important for reaction skill activation rates (essentially being a direct % chance to activate), and there is no downside to it with the exception being Treasure Hunt, which requires a low Brave count. If it's too low (10 or lower), then you turn into a literal chicken and auto-run from all enemies until you naturally gain Brave back to 11 (1 per turn). They will desert your party if it is too low when the battle is over (5 or less, IIRC)

Faith, on the other hand, is dangerous to keep high since your team members can permanently leave your party if it is too high (you get warnings when 90+, and they outright leave at 98+). You generally want to keep your spellcasters with high Faith since it translates into higher damage and better chances of connecting in general. Conversely, low Faith - or none at all - means you take pitiful damage from spells. This also includes healing and positive effects, so be careful.

You can use skills to raise or lower Brave/Faith in battle, and their numbers will permanently raise by 1 for every 4 obtained in battle once the battle is ended. Brave/Faith numbers always reset to normal after a battle (not including the permanent boosts from raising them by 4+ in battle), so you don't have to worry about desertion unless the numbers were already dangerously low/high before the battle.

7) Always keep a Chemist around, or someone with their ability set. You already said you're familiar with Fire Emblem, so I don't need to remind you of how crits can ruin a plan. :p

8) ALWAYS KEEP A SECOND SAVE FILE. There are a handful of fights that have a huge difficulty spike which you also cannot back out of. Keep a second save file handy just in case you find yourself stuck.
That's all I can think of for now, so feel free to ask more if you get stuck.

To add what beef has said...

FFT_Status_Screen.PNG

The sword and staff reflect the character's attack and magic attack. C-EV is the character's chance to evade attacks from the front (usually 15%, depends on the class). S-EV is the character's chance to evade from the side and A-EV is the chance to evade from the back. The % under weap. power is the weapon's innate evasion, which only comes into effect if you use the Knight ability Weapon Guard. Weapons (via Weapon Guard) increase C-EV, Shields increase C-EV and S-EV, and Mantles increase all the EV stats.

Also, don't bother with training monsters. All of them are useless except arguably Chocobos.

Yeah, monster classes aren't very good in general even when you pair them with someone with the Beastmaster ability. Hydras are the exception, but good luck catching one.

To add what beef has said...

FFT_Status_Screen.PNG

The sword and staff reflect the character's attack and magic attack. C-EV is the character's chance to evade attacks from the front (usually 15%, depends on the class). S-EV is the character's chance to evade from the side and A-EV is the chance to evade from the back. The % under weap. power is the weapon's innate evasion, which only comes into effect if you use the Knight ability Weapon Guard. Weapons (via Weapon Guard) increase C-EV, Shields increase C-EV and S-EV, and Mantles increase all the EV stats.

Also, don't bother with training monsters. All of them are useless except arguably Chocobos.

Are you sure about the s-ev stuff? I watched the tutorial and it said the s-ev was the chance to block with a shield. It'd be kind of hilarious for a tutorial to be so wrong.

I literally got to the first real mission (Ramza and crew vs the rogues) and everything seemed to happen so fast and I chickened out. It feels very daunting

Seda

In my experience

The beginning of FFT is by far the most difficult part of the game, partially because of unfamiliarity and partially because you haven't had a chance to develop your units yet. Tough out a few hours and soon enough you'll be smooth sailing

for the most part.

Beef's comment on Bravery is spot on

Are you sure about the s-ev stuff? I watched the tutorial and it said the s-ev was the chance to block with a shield. It'd be kind of hilarious for a tutorial to be so wrong.

I literally got to the first real mission (Ramza and crew vs the rogues) and everything seemed to happen so fast and I chickened out. It feels very daunting

Yeah it's correct. Shields are one of the main factors in increasing s-ev, but other things in the game can increase it. It merely is the chance to dodge something that is attacking the character's side.

Ultratech

In my experience

The beginning of FFT is by far the most difficult part of the game, partially because of unfamiliarity and partially because you haven't had a chance to develop your units yet. Tough out a few hours and soon enough you'll be smooth sailing

for the most part.

Beef's comment on Bravery is spot on

Yup, I remember when I first played FFT and was wondering why it was so hard.

But once you start getting more units and building them up, it gets better.

Super sorry if somebody has asked this recently and I've missed it.

I bought Type-0 for the XV demo - and now I'm giving the game a go.

I've gotten past the first chapter and I don't think I'm really feeling it. I don't mind the combat, it's not the best but it is fairly fun. But the story just isn't gripping me at all, so far and I feel like I have no motivation to pay attention or explore.

Does it get better? Is it worth sticking with it, or if I don't like it by now, am I never going to like it?

Super sorry if somebody has asked this recently and I've missed it.

I bought Type-0 for the XV demo - and now I'm giving the game a go.

I've gotten past the first chapter and I don't think I'm really feeling it. I don't mind the combat, it's not the best but it is fairly fun. But the story just isn't gripping me at all, so far and I feel like I have no motivation to pay attention or explore.

Does it get better? Is it worth sticking with it, or if I don't like it by now, am I never going to like it?

The first chapter is the intro. You've barely even started.

I don't know if you'll like it, so I can't tell you to keep going, but the game has JUST opened up. Now you can try out all the playable characters, at least.

aravuus

When FFXIII came out on PC, I'm pretty sure there was a trainer/cheatengine table/other sort of cheat that unlocked all levels (stages?) of the Crystarium as soon as you got it (versus opening the levels after certain plot events), but I can't seem to find anything right now. Anyone happen to have it somewhere or know where I could get it?

I thought I'd finally finish XIII, but I hate how they lock you out of the crystarium until you proceed with the plot. I want to grind, goddamn it.

Top Bottom