• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Well, all FFs become easy when you grind enough. I'd probably say FFX, FFIII, and the final bit of FFIV and FFV are hard when you don't really grind.

Ultratech

I actually was trying to beat Omega Mark without Reverse/Decoy and...I almost did it before he turned Red and went really stupid with the damage...ouch. Seriously 8000 with one shot, not cool. I had to relent and do it the other way but it still felt dirty for doing so.

It's pretty hard without without Decoy/Reverse, since his laser hits for a ton, even with Bubble Belts. Otherwise, you use something like Arise over and over.

Kinda funny/odd that he got nerfed in the NTSC version, since he's only got ~1mil HP as opposed to 10 mil in the JP version.

Esura

Banned
FF needs difficulty modes. Desperately. Desperately.

Playing Persona 4: Golden's Very Hard mode made me realize how much satisfaction I get from harder stuff.

I feel like I'm losing interest in the series partially because I don't find it that challenging outside of extra bosses.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm missing some sort of core gaming gene that prevents me from having fun with harder stuff. :(

I've been tempted to go easy mode quite a few times on games that allows me to. Only video game series that doesn't outright frustrate me on harder difficulties is DMC for some reason.

I wish there was an easy, less grindy mode for FFXII. :p

Well, all FFs become easy when you grind enough. I'd probably say FFX, FFIII, and the final bit of FFIV and FFV are hard when you don't really grind.

True but I love it that way. I want my level grinding to be worth something. Or if I can somehow break the game's difficulty, I will everytime.

It's pretty hard without without Decoy/Reverse, since his laser hits for a ton, even with Bubble Belts. Otherwise, you use something like Arise over and over.

Kinda funny/odd that he got nerfed in the NTSC version, since he's only got ~1mil HP as opposed to 10 mil in the JP version.

Ugh, fighting Hell Wrym was annoying enough. Omega would be such a terror with that much life!

And watch me still hunt him down...

Esura

Banned

Also FFXII.

I just finished FFVI last night and I was surprised at how easy the final dungeon was. A few people on this other message board said Kefka's Tower is hard as fuck and you need to be like at level 60 or higher so I started doing all the bonus stuff like get Ragnarok magicite, learn Ultima, get good armor, see bonus story bits, etc. I got tired of all that shit and just wanted to end the game so I rushed in with...

Terra lv. 54
Celes lv. 53
Relm lv. 50
Locke lv. 40
Sabin lv. 38
Cyan lv. 31
Setzer lv. 29 (or 30)
Edgar lv. 37
Strago lv. 43
Gau lv. 27
Mog lv. 40
----
Gogo lv. 38
Umaro lv. 30

I Smoke Bombed and Molulu's Charmed all the regular encounters to rush through and used Terra, Celes, and Relm as my anchors for each one of the three teams and spammed Quick + Ultima. I figured if I could fuck up all these bonus dragons and Gilgamesh with mah Girl Power Ultima team I could damn sure mess up some bosses in the final dungeon.

Btw, Terra is awesome, like Lightning/Yuna awesome. I just love that ending too.

FF6 was so good. So very easy but such a great game. It really seemed like the Floating Continent was the hardest area in the game. Between Atma and the enemies...ouch. Anyone else feel that way?

Esura

Banned
FF6 was so good. So very easy but such a great game. It really seemed like the Floating Continent was the hardest area in the game. Between Atma and the enemies...ouch. Anyone else feel that way?

Honestly...nope. Then again, at that time in the game I grinded too much. Ever since I played Phantasy Star 2, 3, and 4 I find myself grinding in every older RPG ahead of time just in case because I keep feeling like all these old RPGs expect me to grind and grind. Doesn't help that all these Atlus RPGs expect me to grind and grind too.

I made sure Terra learned every magic possible at that point and I essentially solo'ed it with just her doing the damage and the others being support. Terra seems like the best character in the game. Great magic power, ok physical damage but her magic is the stuff. Can equip all sorts of armor and all that. I always used Celes as my backup Terra. She had every that Terra had equipped and taught her the same magic.

Yeah when you've been level grinding, it is simple but I know the times I didn't, it was the toughest area in the game.

I always think about fighting him fairly until I eat my first quake attack...then it's Vanish Doom time.

Hardest boss for me was Vargas. I couldn't figure out how to do Sabin's blitz so I thought I could level grind the problem away. I think I got to level 36 before I figured it out.

jaxword

FF6 is very easy outside of a couple of bosses. Very uneven difficulty, it's simple for like 80% and then a few specialty situations where it spikes.

FF6 is very easy outside of a couple of bosses. Very uneven difficulty, it's simple for like 80% and then a few specialty situations where it spikes.

Yea that would be my only complaint but in the long run, I guessed I love it's easiness!

But alot of these games have uneven difficulty...either too easy or stupid hard.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I thought FFXIII was kind of easy, except for the optional hunts.

Noi

I Smoke Bombed and Molulu's Charmed all the regular encounters to rush through and used Terra, Celes, and Relm as my anchors for each one of the three teams and spammed Quick + Ultima.

There's your answer. The biggest threat in Kefka's tower arent the bosses (which are surprisingly easy), its not getting randomly screwed over by the random mooks. Hell, a lot of FF6 dungeons are like that.

jaxword

Haha, smoke bombs.

Even years later I find it hilarious people rage over the stupider scenes in the newer FFs (Moms are tough!) when FF6 has awful moments like Shadow, badass ninja, loudly saying he's going to escape the fire demons by...throwing a smoke bomb at them.

If that were done in full FMV, it'd be the new Laughing Scene for how it's mocked.

Esura

Banned
Yeah when you've been level grinding, it is simple but I know the times I didn't, it was the toughest area in the game.

I always think about fighting him fairly until I eat my first quake attack...then it's Vanish Doom time.

Hardest boss for me was Vargas. I couldn't figure out how to do Sabin's blitz so I thought I could level grind the problem away. I think I got to level 36 before I figured it out.

I forgot about Vargas. I died quite a few times on him only because I didn't know I was supposed to input the blitz command after selecting Blitz once, then after the command enter A. That was mighty frustrating.

Another boss that was bothersome but didn't bother me too much cause he is optional was Gigantuar. Yes, keep spamming 10,000 Needles you lame ass. :(

There's your answer. The biggest threat in Kefka's tower arent the bosses (which are surprisingly easy), its not getting randomly screwed over by the random mooks. Hell, a lot of FF6 dungeons are like that.

Those Outsiders + Candy combination is the worse. Just walking insta death enemies right there.

Haha, smoke bombs.

Even years later I find it hilarious people rage over the stupider scenes in the newer FFs (Moms are tough!) when FF6 has awful moments like Shadow, badass ninja, loudly saying he's going to escape the fire demons by...throwing a smoke bomb at them.

If that were done in full FMV, it'd be the new Laughing Scene for how it's mocked.

Or any scene with Terra. I remember another GAF member mentioned how she says love all the time in her scenes, and he ain't joking.

"I wanna know what love is right now!"

jaxword

Or any scene with Terra. I remember another GAF member mentioned how she says love all the time in her scenes, and he ain't joking.

"I wanna know what love is right now!"

That was probably me!

I often point out that FF6 has teenage girls moping about love and breaking into song about love.

Funny how it's Cool and Deep And Meaningful when it's voiceless sprites doing it, but when it's full voiced CGI models, it's all of a sudden girly and GAY and J-POP.

FF fans, we're so shallow and hypocritical.

Esura

Banned
That was probably me!

I often point out that FF6 has teenage girls moping about love and breaking into song about love.

Funny how it's Cool and Deep And Meaningful when it's voiceless sprites doing it, but when it's full voiced CGI models, it's all of a sudden girly and GAY and J-POP.

I don't think all of them are like that though, just vocal ones that makes themselves seem like they are the majority.

I don't even mind Terra's plight, it was cute, but it does seem like something that would get laughed at by some fans in CG or voice acted. Or Celes "Grandad" scene which more or less solidified my opinion that she is just as crazy as Kefka, she just hides it much better. Or any scene with Ultros.

At least one of the enemies in Kefka's tower had a bunch of Blue Magic you could learn if need be. I never got to learn Quasar, darnit.

Hey at least they didn't stick those stupid strong Brachiosaur foes in the tower. I don't think I ever killed one legitimately. Just used Vanish Doom to get that beautiful experience. Between the Dinosaur Forest and the desert by Miranda (Right?) with the Cactaurs and the Hoovers, you were set when it came to leveling up.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh, Esura, so you enjoyed FF6? That's great. I was LTTP with it as well, and didn't play it until my mid-to-late teens. In fact, when I was little and rented it (oh how I miss renting things), I hated it. I couldn't stand playing it. And do you know what I hated about it most of all? The soundtrack, which, in hindsight, is an incredibly weird stance to take on it.
KuGsj.gif

I'm glad I ended up giving it a chance when I got older otherwise I wouldn't have found something to like about it. I don't think it's utterly outstanding and perfect, because there are some things about it that I don't like, but it's a perfectly great game.

FF was always silly and cheesy. I guess with voices people finally figure out that the dialogue wasn't always that great or philosophical. But to be fair, a lot of it has to do with odd voice direction as well.

As an aside, my bf has started to point out that FFX-2 is basically a turn-based Tales game, and he certainly does have a point.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Reading through the past few pages reminded me how long it's been since I've played through a FF and enjoyed it (tried FF13-2 this year but abandoned ship half-way through). Since I haven't heard anything about 13 Versus or "FFX HD", maybe I'll go back and play the ps1 games. I've beaten 7 and 9 once, but didn't like 8 as a kid (only played 30 minutes or so). Perhaps I'll give it another chance...

8 was a really fun game. Thought the soundtrack was superb and Selphie and Zell were a riot. I don't really care for the game when a certain sorceress with a passion for time kompression hijacked the plot. Otherwise the story was great as well.

Booo at Rinoa though!

Esura

Banned
To be fair neither can I.

Someone should try and remix that song using Terra's theme. Lets call up MegaRan for the job. :p

At least one of the enemies in Kefka's tower had a bunch of Blue Magic you could learn if need be. I never got to learn Quasar, darnit.

Hey at least they didn't stick those stupid strong Brachiosaur foes in the tower. I don't think I ever killed one legitimately. Just used Vanish Doom to get that beautiful experience. Between the Dinosaur Forest and the desert by Miranda (Right?) with the Cactaurs and the Hoovers, you were set when it came to leveling up.

I killed those Brachiosaurs easily. That said, I stat boosted the hell out of Terra. Her Magic stat was like at 100 or so after I got her back in WoR so every -ara and -aga spell was doing 9999 damage. Hook her up with those Hermes Sandals and Force Armor/Shields and Minerva Bustier and stuff and I take them out with just Terra and Celes easily. That said, they wiped the floor with every other character that isn't Terra or Celes. I wish I didn't have to bother with many of the characters to be honest.

Oh, Esura, so you enjoyed FF6? That's great. I was LTTP with it as well, and didn't play it until my mid-to-late teens. In fact, when I was little and rented it (oh how I miss renting things), I hated it. I couldn't stand playing it. And do you know what I hated about it most of all? The soundtrack, which, in hindsight, is an incredibly weird stance to take on it.
KuGsj.gif

I'm glad I ended up giving it a chance when I got older otherwise I wouldn't have found something to like about it. I don't think it's utterly outstanding and perfect, because there are some things about it that I don't like, but it's a perfectly great game.

Yeah, I enjoyed it. I can't say I enjoyed it nearly as much as the FFs after it though. I hate the sheer amount of characters there is and the fact that the game doesn't have a dedicated main protagonist that I could fall back on. I wish they just admit the fact that Terra was the main character instead of trying to focus on everyone else. She is like the reverse Vaan. Vaan is forced to be the main character of FFXII while having little to no importance to much of the game's story whereas Terra is for all intents and purpose the main character but the game pushes every character and their bullshit subplot on me but her even though she drives the story forward.

The amount of characters bother me because the cast is constantly shifting and its hard to settle on a dedicated team when plot dictates you use these characters instead of the others, which at first made the game kind of difficult as I was stuck using characters I did not like. Also bothers me because it feels like the game doesn't have much focus in it's main plot with all these characters and the game trying to focus on all of them.

I definitely don't think it is outstanding and perfect though, at least not as much as I was lead to believe but it is definitely a good game. Because of it I also got another favorite character (Terra!). You should do a LTTP thread on it though as it sounds like we might share similar views on FFVI.

Rinoa

Gooch is 50 years old now!
http://www.facebook.com/hironobu.sakaguchi

Now on Disk 3 of FF9. My god the story is a mess and aughh I have to play the card game to get outta Treno. It's easy but I hate card subgames shoe-horned into the narrative. I don't remember there being so much revisiting of locations in this game, it already feels like the tenth time I've been to alexandria/lindblum/treno/whatever. Lot of back and forth in this game... by foot. Also, I hate the "roos".

Haven't peeked in here for a while, but that's pretty darn cool and very lovely to look at. I'll check it a little more when I get home. :O

Enjoy! (it may be hard to read but I have a very soft style)

FFXI truly has the hardest FF bosses. I know that firsthand. (Put more time into FFXI than I care to share)

Being one of the first people to ever have a full dalmatica set, adaman set, and crazy weapons people could only dream about like the mercurial pole meant I deserved the awful badge of "haijin".
and for a short time I liked it, but I'd rather have my time back

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but the main thing that soured me on FF6:
Narshe Cave
Figaro Cave
Mt. Kolts
Returner's Hideouts
Serpent Trench
Sealed Cave
Zozo Cave
Veldt Cave
Phoenix Cave
Umaro's Cave
Triangle Isle Cave
Ancient Castle
Dragon's Den (GBA)

What was with FF6 and having so many damn cave dungeons. Did the Field Graphic Designers love the cave wall layout that much?

Mind is blown, there are even more uses of the cave graphics not listed... like where the peeps are hidden in Mobliz, or when you go to find Cyan again.

Labadal

Man, Sakaguchi turns 50 today. One of the key members behind my favorite series in any entertainment form. If only he hadn't done Spirits Within, and focused on the games instead. I wonder if the FF series would be in the situation it is in now? I enjoyed Lost Odyssey, even if it doesn't compare to my favorite FF games. FFXIII pales in comparison. (Haven't played FFXIII-2 other than the demo.) I bet if Sakaguchi had the Final Fantasy budget for LO, he could have gotten even more out of it.

jaxword

Uh...Gau and his treasure?

Ugh, The Gauing scene. I've never seen anything so badly acted and voiced in my life. Yeah, yeah, I hear the excuse from FF6 fanboys that he's SUPPOSED to be acting stupid, but it still took me out of the game and ruined it for me. NOMURA!!

So I was listening to the Type-0 soundtrack for the hell of it and I came across this little gem:

Standing Up

I felt compelled to mention this because despite being composed by Ishimoto, it sounds like some badass fusion of Hamauzu, Shimomura, and Sakimoto at least to my ears.

Never thought something like this was in his style range.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I started playing final fantasy v, good stuff so far but is there a glitch in ffv advance regarding running? Because on the field I run ultra fast when holding B (autorun enabled), seriously doesn't seem normal

Kokonoe

Banned
So I'm playing FF2 for the first time, and in the grass near the town I run into 5 humongous bombs that do 300 and 400 damage while my character with the most hp has 40 HP. Looks like I'm in for a treat.

Esura

Banned
Ugh, The Gauing scene. I've never seen anything so badly acted and voiced in my life. Yeah, yeah, I hear the excuse from FF6 fanboys that he's SUPPOSED to be acting stupid, but it still took me out of the game and ruined it for me. NOMURA!!

What is this scene?

EDIT: OOOOOHHHH! The Laughing scene.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Top Bottom