• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Noi

I'll never forget when I went back to the lab after Cloud got his shit together and saw this.

Had to be the most inglorious and brutal death I had seen from a video game at the time.

I think I've mentioned it somewhere before, but one of the reasons I love Crisis Core is because, Genesis nonsense aside, it legitimately made me forget Zack's ultimate fate. It wasn't until the scene with Zack and Cloud riding in the back of the truck that it hit me like a ton of bricks that this was how it was going to go down... and actually cried during the final sequence where
you fight the thousands of Shinra soldiers in an attempt to survive, despite it being futile.
I STILL can't watch/replay that without immediately tearing up when The Price of Freedom starts to play.

Why is a squirrel one of the most deadly enemies in FFV?

He does over 1100 damage every attack, what the hell is this.

Freaking Skull Eater.

Mxrz

I like all the games for the most part. XII, IX and VI are generally at the top for me. Playing through XIII recently left me wanting to fit it in there some where. I tend to favor exploration and political storylines more, so 12 was more or less perfect for me.

X is weird. I really liked the setting. It is one of the series best. Final Fantasy goes tropical, woo! and all that. But the characters darn near ruin all of it. Between the dialog, and the voice acting, the cast of X irritated me like no other. X was like a really cool road trip with a group of people you couldn't stand, and one stuck-up goth girl who wouldn't give you the time of day despite bending over and shaking her boobs at you every so often. Post-game combat basically being "lol quickhit"didn't help.

A friend tried for years to get me to play X-2, saying it was better in a lot of ways. But I just never could come to terms with concept of wanting Tidus back.

jaxword

i8gAu.png

Bet you had trouble talking to the NPC woman at the top of the table in the upper right of this pic.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Bet you had trouble talking to the NPC woman at the top of the table in the upper right of this pic.
Yeah, so I ended up using the Walk-Through-Walls code for an easier time with it.

finalfantasyii03006zskb.png

Bah. I wonder how much they're charging in that building if a pass was 10000GP.

Geez, you weren't kidding. Fun read though, and I liked seeing someone go to bat for X-2. You don't see that very often. Makes me want to play it again.
I think people mostly concentrate on the girly minigames/cutscenes/opening and fixate on that even though there's a fine game with some minor politics buried underneath.

...Damn, Schala. That was a fantastic read! Makes me want to do the same, but I don't think I have the fortitude. XD

I think people mostly concentrate on the girly minigames/cutscenes/opening and fixate on that even though there's a fine game with some minor politics buried underneath.
X-2 is wonderful and the opening is no exception! I remember downloading a clip of the Japanese version before the US release waaaaay back in college and was so incredibly hyped for the game to come out afterward. It's utterly ridiculous but all the more glorious for it. I go back and re-watch it on occasion just to lift my spirits sometimes. Please, SQEX, can we have X-2 on the Vita sometime?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Playing through Complete Collection and I'm now through with the base game, although I have to go back and do the Lunar Ruins. The only thing that's driving me crazy is the inconsistent encounter rate. I wish we'd get a similar thing for Final Fantasy VI.

I must say, "The Dreadful Fight" is the best boss music in any Final Fantasy game. It rules.

Mxrz

Playing through WKC1/2 right now, and the thought occurred to me; I really wouldn't mind if Square dialed down the graphics in order to do more with the next game. Weren't the models in XII dialed down some from X?

jaxword

Yeah, so I ended up using the Walk-Through-Walls code for an easier time with it.

finalfantasyii03006zskb.png

Bah. I wonder how much they're charging in that building if a pass was 10000GP.

I tip my hat to you. I consider myself the biggest FF nerd around, especially when it comes to obscure trivia and details that no one else digs up, but you do a great job.

Here's another FF4 challenge for you (or any FF4 fans) : Do you know where in the English SNES game you can find Japanese text?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Why is a squirrel one of the most deadly enemies in FFV?

He does over 1100 damage every attack, what the hell is this.

Freaking Skull Eater.

But it only has one hp and high evasion. Bust out that Excalipoor.

Or use Ranger's Aim, Ninja's Throw, Geomancer's Gaia.

Easy AP farming.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I've been playing the NES version of FFIII lately and I'm finding it so much better than the NDS version. Compared to all the NES FF games, this is probably the best one in my opinion. My only problem is the requirement of heavy grinding, difficulty, and zero characterization of the protagonists.

If this game had FFII's characterization to say the least, it would a top-tier FF game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I tip my hat to you. I consider myself the biggest FF nerd around, especially when it comes to obscure trivia and details that no one else digs up, but you do a great job.

Here's another FF4 challenge for you (or any FF4 fans) : Do you know where in the English SNES game you can find Japanese text?
That's a challenge, indeed. I want to say--and this hasn't happened to me since I was little, so I might be remembering it completely wrong--that it's when you get a key item but your bag is full, so the message which comes up to take something out of your inventory is still in Japanese.

That might be wrong, but it's been years since I've noticed it.

Mxrz said:
I really wouldn't mind if Square dialed down the graphics in order to do more with the next game.
Neither would I. I don't really care if a game is the bestest looking game in the world, but if the art direction is good, it's colourful, the world is engaging, and it plays fine, it's fine with me.

Xero

Final Fantasy VII

I brought this up in the Gaf plays final fantasy thread, but I was mentioning how I was replaying final fantasy 7 with my girlfriend, and I didn't remember the translation being so godawful in the game. Its been many years since I've played the game, and she was confused on numerous plot points as the game is either vague or seems to omit parts of the story. Particularly those involving cloud and sephiroth. I was wondering on what the story was on the bad translation of the game and how much was better the japanese version was? She's having a harder time really liking some of the characters as well, and I agree since I don't remember their dialogue coming across so unnaturally. Was the japanese version superior in every regard? Or were their some problems with the initial script as well?

And there's schala right above me who recommended me to the thread lol.

jaxword

That's a challenge, indeed. I want to say--and this hasn't happened to me since I was little, so I might be remembering it completely wrong--that it's when you get a key item but your bag is full, so the message which comes up to take something out of your inventory is still in Japanese.

That might be wrong, but it's been years since I've noticed it.

You got it. That's very impressive! I've only ever seen one other person online talk about this. You'd have to DELIBERATELY try and cause this because the probability of anyone doing it, especially with how hard they cut FF2, is very low.

It's pretty much the only time any text slipped by the localizing team.

laika09

I've been playing the NES version of FFIII lately and I'm finding it so much better than the NDS version. Compared to all the NES FF games, this is probably the best one in my opinion. My only problem is the requirement of heavy grinding, difficulty, and zero characterization of the protagonists.

If this game had FFII's characterization to say the least, it would a top-tier FF game.

I feel compelled to mention this every time it's brought up, but FFIIINES is far and away my favorite <32 bit game. It's amazing what they were able to fit on a NES cartridge.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Well, since I'm almost done with 3 and will be going soon to 12, I can make a better ranking than before.

Top tier: 4, 6, 7, 9, 10
Mid tier: 5, 8, 12, 13
Bottom tier: 1, 2, 3

1, 2, and 3 aren't bad games by all means but they didn't age well IMO, even if they were remade. 3 is probably top of the bottom tier IMO due to the size and diversity of the game.

I recently started falling in love with IV due to Dark Schala's commentaries and the music selection in Theatrhythm. This game has an incredible soundtrack that evokes the mood of FFIV.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I thought my commentary on IV would have the opposite effect because apparently I'm being harsh on the game.
KuGsj.gif

jaxword said:
You got it. That's very impressive! I've only ever seen one other person online talk about this. You'd have to DELIBERATELY try and cause this because the probability of anyone doing it, especially with how hard they cut FF2, is very low.

It's pretty much the only time any text slipped by the localizing team.
Unless you hoard everything you find in FF2 without putting it in the Big Chocobo beforehand (and this could happen before the Tower of Bab-il if you don't realize that there is one in the Dwarf Castle), you aren't likely to run into that message at all. And I guess they didn't think the message would show up or didn't put it through enough testing to realize that.

But going through the original SNES version as an adult now, I'm really surprised with how poor the translation is. I didn't catch some of this stuff when I was younger. :O

Noi

I thought my commentary on IV would have the opposite effect because apparently I'm being harsh on the game.
KuGsj.gif

I dunno, it could be taken as the "I like this game but this is extreeeeeemely silly" type of commentary. Though we already know your thoughts on the game!

Have you done s'more of the XIII-2 DLC?

jaxword

KuGsj.gif

Unless you hoard everything you find in FF2 without putting it in the Big Chocobo beforehand (and this could happen before the Tower of Bab-il if you don't realize that there is one in the Dwarf Castle), you aren't likely to run into that message at all. And I guess they didn't think the message would show up or didn't put it through enough testing to realize that.

But going through the original SNES version as an adult now, I'm really surprised with how poor the translation is. I didn't catch some of this stuff when I was younger. :O

It would be incredibly difficult to cause that message in the original SNES version since you'd basically have to hoard every single possible item, meaning buying every individual item from the store and then specifically having zero space for a key item drop. Which is very rare in itself, i.e. Lugae's key.

It's probably the most well-hidden glitch in FF, at least in the early ones.

Gravijah

God Tier: VIII, V
Top Tier: IX, XIII, X, XI
Middle Tier: VII, VI, IV
Low Tier: XII

yet to play: I-III, X-2, XIII-2, XIV.

i wonder how i'll feel in 10 years.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Noi said:
I dunno, it could be taken as the "I like this game but this is extreeeeeemely silly" type of commentary. Though we already know your thoughts on the game!

Have you done s'more of the XIII-2 DLC?
Yeah, you guys know that I don't like IV much anymore. :lol

It's the weekend now, so I'll try to finish off the Gilgamesh DLC and Pupu DLC this weekend. I really like how the extra battles almost force you to use monsters or a decoy party member because there's a lot to keep up with. The Ultros/Chupon DLC were alright, but you can likely manage with two characters (but it'll take a long time--I started doing that and I kinda got bored, lol, so I switched in a Cloudburst and, uh, that thing with the spikes that's a hedgehog Sentinel thing... the thing I put Mediguard on, and that one monster that I got with the buffs and I forgot its name but I gave it a cool accessory). It's easy when you figure out their gimmick, though.

Gilgamesh, though. Gilgamesh is fun. You can't use two people. You just can't. Need a good Sab, need something with Fringeward, and a bunch of neat stuff on your monster would be great additions. You just need to be really quick with him. The first fight is easy. The second fight is a problem and I like it that way!

Haven't tried Snow's DLC yet.

The coliseum battles, or some of them, should have been in the game proper. Not only are they more fun than any of the battles in the main game, period, but they force you to use everything at your disposal (including the formations, holy crap they actually force you to use the formations!!). That is what Final Fantasy XIII-2's difficulty parameters and battle additions should have aspired to. This is what the game should have been like; an extension of FFXIII, while taking into consideration the difficulty of the postgame content.

Just... wtf were they thinking keeping the main game so easy and making the more difficult (and thus fun) stuff DLC in the first place? (Yes, I know...)

ibxKFl6Vh2a6m0.gif

I kinda find the Lightning DLC repetitive. It stops being fun when you get to a higher level because you can easily cheese it and not worry about shifting to Knight when he's going to combo you. It gets kind of formulaic when you're at a lower level because you're essentially switching to Knight + Paladin when he's in Rav mode, switching to Knight + Mage + Paladin depending on what he's doing in Com mode, and doing whatever in Healer mode. Sorcerer is one I actively avoid using because... it feels like I'm cheapening the fight at that point? You know what I mean? It's the second fight that you can afford to start cheesing a bit. Just because he has resist element attacks. The second fight is much better than the first, imo.

I like Army of One better than Legion of One because LoO seems more like an attack to do damage while he's staggered so you can get more of a heal out of it. I've noticed that it doesn't send up the gauge as quickly as Army of One did, so its intent is mostly to be used when the enemy is staggered but to provide a heal to the character.

But... yeah, buying that DLC with the purpose of completing FF13-2's story in mind is definitely not the way to go, imo. Buy it for the minigame.

Gravijah said:
yet to play: I-III, X-2, XIII-2, XIV.
If you didn't just get XIII-2 from Gamefly, I'd tell you to drop everything and play X-2 now.

jaxword said:
It would be incredibly difficult to cause that message in the original SNES version since you'd basically have to hoard every single possible item, meaning buying every individual item from the store and then specifically having zero space for a key item drop. Which is very rare in itself, i.e. Lugae's key.
I was thinking of showing it for my playthrough but then that would mean buying a lot of Cure1s or something and not sorting (and then planning ahead for the number of items I would get in Zot). When I started thinking about it a little more, it started to sound boring.

I'd like to just have one screenshot of it, though, so that the evidence is there. I'm right at the point where I can get Lugae's Key.

jaxword

Here's a screenshot for you:

JrYZJ.png

I'm collecting things like that for my own FF site, so do please try not to spread it everywhere. :p

Although if you want to get one I'd be grateful for more proof.

ULTROS!

I might be playing X-2 after III. I lost my copy of XII and have yet to find it. :/

What are the good things about X-2? Are the battles fast-paced?

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I'm actually playing (yet again... it's the third time now) Final Fantasy XIII from the beginning again, but this time with the japanese version. Man, while the english dub is quite good (voices-wise), the japanese voice direction is way better than in our version. Still, I'm enjoying the game as much as the first time. This is absolutely, for me at least, the most "pretty looking" game of this generation.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Perfo, you can feel free to join us the Anniversary thread and chronicle your playthrough in there somehow. Vanille and Lightning's voice direction are fine in the JP version, but the other characters are better in English, imo.

Here's a screenshot for you:

JrYZJ.png

I'm collecting things like that for my own FF site, so do please try not to spread it everywhere. :p

Although if you want to get one I'd be grateful for more proof.
And here's mine. Man, it was annoying having to keep a full bag!

F4ek2.png

You had to try so hard to get that message, and I wasted so much money on items I don't use in order to do it. Still, I guess checking up on stuff like that is what QA is for...

I might be playing X-2 after III. I lost my copy of XII and have yet to find it. :/

Oh yes, definitely. I wrote this on the last page. It's the second huuuuge paragraph. A lot of people get caught up in the bubblegum pop surface, when really if you look for it, there's some interesting worldbuilding and ideal clashes doing on in that game.

jaxword

X-2 is actually a good game, but the Grrrrl Power! and general J-pop dress-up themes really gave it a bad rep.

The battles are a precursor to FF13's engine, but a bit faster. However, it still feels a bit like a beta version with the stiffness of the model movement.

In a way, I think FFx-2's battle system was their testing ground for 13's. It's clear 13 was not built off 12's.

ULTROS!

Sounds interesting. Guess I'll give it a second shot after FFIII. Who knows, maybe the reason why FFX HD hasn't been revealed yet is because they want to add in FFX-2!

Also just a random thought but Rubicante from FFIV has the weirdest defense form: showing and hiding his veiny leg.

Darkone

I read somewhere about a FF game that you play as a young knight and your father killed himself and you follow his legacy, anyone know which FF is it?

jaxword

I read somewhere about a FF game that you play as a young knight and your father killed himself and you follow his legacy, anyone know which FF is it?

Every early FF ever.

But more specifically, that sounds closest to FF4. Maybe 5, but he's a wanderer, not a knight. But basically a lot of the early ones had that sort of young-warrior-trying-to-find-his-way theme.

Actually, in an ironic way, the REAL closest FF to your description is X, but saying more would ruin it.

Darkone

Every early FF ever.

But more specifically, that sounds closest to FF4. Maybe 5, but he's a wanderer, not a knight. But basically a lot of the early ones had that sort of young-warrior-trying-to-find-his-way theme.

Actually, in an ironic way, the REAL closest FF to your description is X, but saying more would ruin it.

the game is in the collection they released on the psp.

will try to find threw the wiki.

hertog

Well finally bought as PS2 again.

Since FFX HD seems to be vaporware I'll replay the ps2 version.

And a quick question, I've got a PAL ps2. is there ANY way to play the improved international edition of FFXII??

hertog

Top tier: VII, IX, V, X, XII, Tactics
Mid tier: Crisis Core, VI, IV, XIII-2, X-2
Bottom tier: XIII, I, II, III, VIII

Haven't played XI or XIV

Mxrz

Can I be disappointed with TGS yet, or is there still time for an actual new game announcement?

Not to be all doom and gloom, but I have to wonder if the series will even make it past 14 at this point. I'm not into handhelds or mmos, so this decade has seemed awfully light. Basically just 12 and the three 13 games. Maybe I was spoiled by the PSX days.

A couple of questions about Final Fantasy games on the PSN for those in the know:

How are the V and VI on the PSN compared to the GBA versions of each? Do they use the same localizations as the GBA releases? Are the loading times as horrific as I've heard the PS1 disc-based versions are? I already have both of them on GBA and am considering getting the PSN releases for my Vita for eventual re-plays (have aleady played GBA V and SNES VI/III), but if they are indisputably inferior to the GBA ones, I'll probably pass as I'd never play them then.

Which version/localization of IV is used in the PSP Complete Collection? Is it worth playing, or are other releases of IV much better? Given how many times it's come out, is there a particular release of IV that's considered to be definitive? I've played (and liked) the DS remake, but would one day like to play a version that's more akin to its original SNES release.

Thanks in advance!

Perfo

Vanille and Lightning's voice direction are fine in the JP version, but the other characters are better in English, imo.

I don't have any problem with the english voices, they're all quite good especially Sazh and Hope. It's just the voice direction itself so much better in the japanese version.

Noi

A couple of questions about Final Fantasy games on the PSN for those in the know:

How are the V and VI on the PSN compared to the GBA versions of each? Do they use the same localizations as the GBA releases? Are the loading times as horrific as I've heard the PS1 disc-based versions are? I already have both of them on GBA and am considering getting the PSN releases for my Vita for eventual re-plays (have aleady played GBA V and SNES VI/III), but if they are indisputably inferior to the GBA ones, I'll probably pass as I'd never play them then.

Which version/localization of IV is used in the PSP Complete Collection? Is it worth playing, or are other releases of IV much better? Given how many times it's come out, is there a particular release of IV that's considered to be definitive? I've played (and liked) the DS remake, but would one day like to play a version that's more akin to its original SNES release.

Thanks in advance!

The PSN versions have different localizations, especially FFV. One could make an argument for FFVI PS1, though it's still very playable at least. (I beat the game on the PS1 version this year because the battery on my SNES cart died out).

FFIVCC has a new localization, if I'm not mistaken. I personally like the CC version the most cause it has auto battle, which makes replays take way less time to through. I'd say the definitive US version is either CC or the DS game if you want something much more difficult.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
New chapter of FF Type 0 Gaiden Manga came out. With a new wallpaper on the Gangan site.

And that's all I have to report on Type 0 info this month.

It's been nearly a year since release too.

;_;

ULTROS!

I finally beat FFIII (superior NES version)!

So I've completed FFI-FFX and FFXIII+XIII-2. All I need to do is finish X-2, XII, and probably Crisis Core.

ULTROS!

What did you think?

It's actually a pretty good game. Although it might have not aged well, it's pretty big for a NES game. There are some parts that I did not like such as the long long long final dungeon (and there's no save point at all), the parts where you have to be in Mini mode for quite some time, and the heavy ambushes. The parts that I did like is that the world is much much better than FFI and FFII's due to the numerous locations. It could have been better if the protagonists had more personality and characterization.

The soundtrack is pretty amazing (like Elia, the Water Maiden.

Overall I'd put this game above I and II. It got the right parts of I and II (namely the flexible job system and an actual story).

Aeana

It's actually a pretty good game. Although it might have not aged well, it's pretty big for a NES game. There are some parts that I did not like such as the long long long final dungeon (and there's no save point at all), the parts where you have to be in Mini mode for quite some time, and the heavy ambushes. The parts that I did like is that the world is much much better than FFI and FFII's due to the numerous locations. It could have been better if the protagonists had more personality and characterization.

The soundtrack is pretty amazing (like Elia, the Water Maiden.

Overall I'd put this game above I and II. It got the right parts of I and II (namely the flexible job system and an actual story).

Honestly, the part where you emerge from Eureka and Boundless Ocean plays as you fly around with nothing but water, wherever you look, still managed to give me goosebumps when I replayed the game earlier in the year. Then you happen across a small bit of land with a shipwrecked ship, you enter, and Elia's theme plays... just great.

Perfo

I can't stop saying how gorgeous looks Final Fantasy XIII, this is absolutely my favorite game in this generation when it comes to its graphics and style. It's also probably the last game we'll see so detailed coming from Japan, no one can afford anymore to take 6 years to develop a game with this amount of details. Sadly. No one else except maybe KojiPro.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, you don't even need six years to make a game with that much attention to detail or artstyle (which is what I guess you were getting at?). I go for more stylization than realism, so...

I can't disagree that FFXIII looks pretty. It's one of the prettiest games I've played this generation, but I don't think you should discount other Japanese-developed games too which were released since then (or even before) and bring their own brand of style and detail to the table. For example, Hedgehog Engine says hi. It helps to output some of the prettiest backgrounds with some great lighting. And outside of the tearing and stuff in Generations' console versions, the game looks utterly fantastic on PC (Action Master is a good example of that). Even if it doesn't use the Hedgehog Engine, Yakuza 4 has some nice detail in its environments.

Xenoblade, El Shaddai, Tales of Vesperia, Sonic Unleashed, Valkyria Chronicles, Final Fantasy XIII, Eternal Sonata, Muramasa, and Skyward Sword (and lots more from western studios, but we're talking about JP studios, so...) are some of the prettiest console games I've played this generation. And if we're going for straight style in conjunction with gameplay, Kirby's Epic Yarn (which has a hand in the gameplay and doesn't serve as a mere background because you can unzip things to reveal more platforming areas, or shake gems from trees, etc.).

Ehh... It's pretty subjective...

Noi

Just in case anyone's interested, SE put up all the DLC for XIII-2 on sale this week for the PS3 version. Cheap enough to make some of the Colosseum bosses worth it.

Of course, I'm a bit annoyed that they chose now of all times to decide on having said sale. Schala would know why.

Top Bottom