• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Beth Cyra

Lebron said:
Vaan is one of the main reasons I couldn't get into that game.

Fuck him
But why?

Becuase he isn't a character that is really strong like Cloud/Squall/Zidane?

Vaan is a naive kid and he plays the role well and he really grows over the course of the game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Lebron said:
Vaan is one of the main reasons I couldn't get into that game.

Fuck him
You can forget about him after the introduction. But I like using him because he's pretty quick and he has some of the best stats in the game.

Teknoman

FINAL FANTASY XIV

Two more for good measure.

iMbolC0gQbDmw.gif

ib0I2mEcavDCk7.gif

And yes its taken quite a turn around after the new team took over and 1.19 hit a few days ago. Does it still need work? Yeah. Is it actually pretty enjoyable now? Kinda. Still free and under going improvements? Yep.

The new team also recently put forward two art documents showing how they plan to completely restructure two of the main areas (Thanalan/Savanna and The Black shroud/Forest) in the near future. The PS3 version is still in the works, and will most likely be released with/after the total area revamps, which they seem to want to tie into the story, as they have everything else. Even small things such as changing enemy size are tied into the story.

Calcaneus

I don't think anyone reacted well to Vaan when he was first introduced. But I liked him well enough in the game. Not nearly as annoying as Tidus.

I think that first piece of art Square released really ruined him for a lot of people.

Chiave

Final Fantasy XII

So I'm doing optional bosses for the first time. 1 minute into the Hell Wyrm fight and I'm already saying wtf. It hits hard as fuck! Totally unexpected; I figured it'd be a total faceroll like all the other bosses and marks. I really only have 3 party members available, my reserves are pretty much dead meat because they're low level.

Sydle

Teknoman said:
FINAL FANTASY XIV
And yes its taken quite a turn around after the new team took over and 1.19 hit a few days ago. Does it still need work? Yeah. Is it actually pretty enjoyable now? Kinda. Still free and underground improvements? Yep.

The new team also recently put forward two art documents showing how they plan to completely restructure two of the main areas (Thanalan/Savanna and The Black shroud/Forest) in the near future. The PS3 version is still in the works, and will most likely be released with/after the total area revamps, which they seem to want to tie into the story, as they have everything else. Even small things such as changing enemy size are tied into the story.

Good, good.

Where did you read this?

Beth Cyra

Chiave said:
Final Fantasy XII

So I'm doing optional bosses for the first time. 1 minute into the Hell Wyrm fight and I'm already saying wtf. It hits hard as fuck! Totally unexpected; I figured it'd be a total faceroll like all the other bosses and marks. I really only have 3 party members available, my reserves are pretty much dead meat because they're low level.
No XII's marks go from cake walk to suddenly jumping a great deal in diffculty if you aren't leveled high enough or know how to handel them.

Just wait till you have to do a certain awesome boss, get a job to do it again and go their, you will get crushed if you are to low level like I was.

Teknoman said:
FINAL FANTASY XIV

Two more for good measure.

And yes its taken quite a turn around after the new team took over and 1.19 hit a few days ago. Does it still need work? Yeah. Is it actually pretty enjoyable now? Kinda. Still free and underground improvements? Yep.

What would you say to someone who found XI a little too clunky and slow. Does XIV have these problems still? Is it all soloable?

Luigiv

TruePrime said:
I know alot of people want to hate Vaan and everything. However the amount of hate leveled at this when the entire point is have him stand out and get people's attention by acting like that never made any damn sense to me.
But I'm not actually trying to hate on Vaan. In fact, I'm been actively trying to find reasons to like him but he keeps giving me reasons to the contrary. I just played through this sequence for the first time the other day and the whole thing was just stupid, I'm sorry. Vaan's scheme is ridiculous; Nobodies is going to believe this 17 year old kid's obvious lies and all he's really doing is putting himself at danger with Basch's detractors; and the terrible voice acting doesn't help.

It also annoys me that Vaan did a whole 180 on his opinion of Basch for no reason at all. Yu'd expect Vaan to feel uncomfortable speaking those words.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Chiave said:
Final Fantasy XII

Once you get to the carrot, the marks start going hard. Once you reach one of the last three before Yaizmat they're insane.

Skilletor

Luigiv said:
But I'm not actually trying to hate on Vaan. In fact, I'm been actively trying to find reasons to like him but he keeps giving me reasons to the contrary. I just played through this sequence for the first time the other day and the whole thing was just stupid, I'm sorry. Vaan's scheme is ridiculous; Nobodies is going to believe this 17 year old kid's obvious lies and all he's really doing is putting himself at danger with Basch's detractors; and the terrible voice acting doesn't help.

It also annoys me that Vaan did a whole 180 on his opinion of Basch for no reason at all. Yu'd expect Vaan to feel uncomfortable speaking those words.

Please tell me that you mean that specific part of FF12. The part where Vaan is TRYING to be over the top to gain the attention of certain people and acting stupid. That you're not saying that FF12 has terrible voice acting.

This thread needs some Dissidia love up in here. People crap on Nomura's designs all the time but Dissidia's character designs are top notch.

They managed to make boring generic characters like the warrior, firion, Bartz, the emperor, Garland and onion knight and turn them into awesome designs that not only look cool but also fit the original games and injecting some personality and character into them.

Now besides Squall as my favorite, I love WoL, Bartz, Firion and the Emperor as my favorite characters.

I'd kill for a FF5 remake with Dissidia Bartz.

Also I wish for more Final Fantasy movies a la Advent Children. It was good. I want more. Give me a FF8 movie SQAURE ENIX!

Lebron

TruePrime said:
But why?

Becuase he isn't a character that is really strong like Cloud/Squall/Zidane?

Vaan is a naive kid and he plays the role well and he really grows over the course of the game.
No, because he's a crappy character and dresses funny. It's like dealing with Edge Maverick. I can only take so much. I don't want to see growing. I want to see him wiped out by Kefka.

Though him playing a tiny part after those first initial hours is news to me. Maybe I'll give it a shot again if they do a HD remake like with X.

Beth Cyra

Luigiv said:

There was a trade off here, would you have prefered Vaan be all sulky? As it stands he lets it go, and he grows to accept that Basch didn't do it.

And if you are going to call Vaan on this stupid scheme then every other character is just as retarded as he is because they went along with it.

Not only that but as they presented it Basche wasn't something someone said lightly. It's not as if Vaan ran out in the middle said it once and had someone come up to him. You had to do it enough, so it very much would stand to reason that after enough times of doing something that was Taboo it would be reported.

As for the rest, he was an annoying kid that was out of his element, but that is what he was supposed to be.

The biggest issue is the games story stops so he doesn't grow as he should neither do the rest of the storylines. However he does have severeal moments were he comes through for the others and grows both in XII and the following games.

Him punching a certain other character was quite possibly the best moment of XII RW.

Luigiv

Skilletor said:
Xenoblade might be a lot of things, but a pretty game is not one of them.

Aw, dammit, double post. :(
Not getting into a debate over whether Xenoblade is pretty or not, I was talking about the grass specifically.

Compared to this, FFXIV's grass looks rather poor no? Especially so if we consider technical restraints.
Xenoblade-1.jpg

Skilletor said:
Please tell me that you mean that specific part of FF12. The part where Vaan is TRYING to be over the top to gain the attention of certain people and acting stupid. That you're not saying that FF12 has terrible voice acting.
Yes, was I not clear?

Skilletor

Luigiv said:
Not getting into a debate over whether Xenoblade is pretty or not, I was talking about the grass specifically.

After compared to this, FFXIV's grass looks rather poor no? Especially so if we consider technical restraints.
Xenoblade-1.jpg

Do you have a full resolution screen?

Teknoman

Paco said:
Good, good.

Where did you read this?

A post by one of the dev representatives on the official FFXIV forums. They've gotten alot more transparent as far as dev processes and answering questions go.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/index.html

Rahxephon91 said:
What would you say to someone who found XI a little too clunky and slow. Does XIV have these problems still? Is it all soloable?

Its defintely faster than XIV and has a better UI...but its still got its own share of clunk to work around, so its not ideal yet. They're still working on revamping the UI with tooltips/drag and drop stuff and keyboard controls are a little better, but imo its much better/still built for using a gamepad as things are now.

Is it still soloable? Yeah, but now the optimal way to get stronger is via a small 4 person or large 6-8 person party. There are exp chains where the faster you defeat enemies in sucession, the more your exp percentage bonus raises, similar to XI, however the chain number and time between percentage increases is now displayed. Enemies also can call for help at times ala Dragon Quest/Nocturne.

They've also recently implemented a nice low level dungeon ( up to level 15 or 20 I believe) that helps people get acclimated to things and a better control tutorial at the start.

kunonabi

I'm about to break down and get FFXII but I'm trying to decide on the standard version or international. Do the jobs have brand new abilities or are they just the original license board split into pieces? Which version is better for playing manually without gambits?

Emitan

kunonabi said:
I'm about to break down and get FFXII but I'm trying to decide on the standard version or international. Do the jobs have brand new abilities or are they just the original license board split into pieces? Which version is better for playing manually without gambits?
International is the best version. If you have the opportunity, buy it.

Beth Cyra

kunonabi said:
Here is a big one.

Do you prefer Locked systems like Final Fantasy IV? If so Get Zodiac Jobsystem.

Do you like opensystems like FF VII/X? If so get Original.

I would say Zodiac might be better for with out gambits as it has the Speed up mode if I remember right.

Aeana

kunonabi said:
There are a handful of new things, but in general it's the same stuff split into pieces. Abilities and licenses have been modified in terms of effectiveness, though.
I don't really think either version is better or worse for playing without gambits, but that doesn't sound like a very fun thing to do to me in the first place.

Teknoman

XxSlasherMcGirkxX said:
This thread needs some Dissidia love up in here. People crap on Nomura's designs all the time but Dissidia's character designs are top notch.

They managed to make boring generic characters like the warrior, firion, Bartz, the emperor, Garland and onion knight and turn them into awesome designs that not only look cool but also fit the original games and injecting some personality and character into them.

Now besides Squall as my favorite, I love WoL, Bartz, Firion and the Emperor as my favorite characters.

Also I wish for more Final Fantasy movies a la Advent Children. It was good. I want more. Give me a FF8 movie SQAURE ENIX!

I like Nomura designs...but the original designs for them werent generic by any means.

1-sara_and_light-a3.jpg

The_Cloudsea_Djinn.jpg

2-paramekia-a.jpg

2-frionel-a4.jpg

Luigiv

Skilletor said:
Do you have a full resolution screen?
Does it make a difference? You can see the grass is "3D"* there, whilst FFXIV's is an inappropriately bump mapped texture.

If you insist, though, here's a Dolphin shot showing that the grass effect holds, even at an HD resolution.

*Yes, I'm aware the game uses 2D sprites that always face the camera for grass and leaves. It's still better then flat grass texture, in my opinion.

Skilletor

Luigiv said:
Does it make a difference? You can see the grass is "3D"* there, whilst FFXIV's is an inappropriately bump mapped texture.

If you insist, though, here's a Dolphin shot showing that the grass effect holds, even at an HD resolution.

*Yes, I'm aware the game uses 2D sprites that always face the camera for grass and leaves. It's still better then flat grass texture, in my opinion.

Actually, I couldn't. :)

That's why I asked for higher resolution.

Edit: That does look good. I rescind my earlier statement.

Electivirus said:
I've never been too big on Amano's stuff. It's too...abstract for my tastes.

I agree. Much prefer Nomura's characters.

Amano does some cool looking monsters and areas, though.

Teknoman said:
I like Nomura designs...but the original designs for them werent generic by any means.

[IM]http://ffcompendium.com/art/1-sara_and_light-a3.jpg[/IMG]

[IM]http://ffcompendium.com/art/2-paramekia-a.jpg[/IMG]

[IM]http://ffcompendium.com/art/2-frionel-a4.jpg[/IMG]

XxSlasherMcGirkxX said:

Here here!

Teknoman

Electivirus said:

I can see that, but its anything but generic ya know? Unless he just meant the sprites in the original games?

Chiave

Final Fantasy XIV

Here's a question,

When FFXIV was released I remember reading a couple of complaints about the terrain being similar/boring. Have they said anything about fixing that?

Beth Cyra

Teknoman said:
I can see that, but its anything but generic ya know? Unless he just meant the sprites in the original games?
It would have to be. As it stands those art's you posted are the very things that Nomura based the Dissidia characters on in honor and celebration of Amano.

So if those are generic so are Nomura's renditions.

kunonabi

Job system doesn't sound so hot then if there isn't anything new. I'm probably not going to max out the license board so I probably won't have to worry about all my characters playing the same anyway. How important are the summons? I remember hating them in the demo, although to be fair I hated the whole demo actually.

Beth Cyra

kunonabi said:
Job system doesn't sound so hot then if there isn't anything new. I'm probably not going to max out the license board so I probably won't have to worry about all my characters playing the same anyway. How important are the summons? I remember hating them in the demo, although to be fair I hated the whole demo actually.
Outside of some story elements it's better to never have the summons out because of how they work in the original XII.

The only reason might be for a really quick burst of damage with some of the more powerful Summons easy to abuse Myst Knacks/Limits like Zodiark and stoning a character for a quick 50k.

Aeana said:
Billychu said:
I really need to play Final Fantasy IV some time. I have it just sitting around, I need to put it in my SNES DS and play it.
Fixed.

Bah... I tried playing the DS version and couldn't stand watching that low-poly Cecil stumbling about the maps; ended up quitting only a few hours in... I don't know why it bugged me so much, because I played through FFIII on the DS no problem, but it did... Anyway, I started playing the PSP version today and everything's back the way it's supposed to be - it'll be my first play through since I played the SNES version on release...

Beth Cyra

Electivirus said:
Final Fantasy XIII: God, PSICOM Huntresses are beasts. Two or more of them, and they just walk all over me. :(

I remember them first showing up.

I made sure that I didn't even have a Medic, I had two ravagers break them as soon as possible and launched their asses for a quick death.

Teknoman

Chiave said:
Final Fantasy XIV

Here's a question,

When FFXIV was released I remember reading a couple of complaints about the terrain being similar/boring. Have they said anything about fixing that?

Yup many times. First quick fixes like adding beast tribe camps, strongholds, and other small camps, and in the recent letter from the producer live (over youtube) where Yoshi-P (new lead producer) showed two art documents displayed how they planned to completely remake two of the main overworld areas. I'm sure others will follow since the story is now talking about things like a Garlean (evil army of this game) invasion and Dalamud (the moon's "moon" which might be Meteor).

I think there is supposed to be another live letter answer post 1.19 concerns and questions / future xiv plans for 1.19a, 1.20, etc.

SpaceBridge said:
Since were on the topic of FFXIV, any news or rumors about the PS3 version?

Its still coming, and will most likely hit after the game itself has a substantial amount of content/ is finished with the majority of major revamping.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
By the way Kagari, who's avatars are there in the OP? I can't make out some though.

Blue Submarine No. 6 said:
Bah... I tried playing the DS version and couldn't stand watching that low-poly Cecil stumbling about the maps; ended up quitting only a few hours in... I don't know why it bugged me so much, because I played through FFIII on the DS no problem, but it did... Anyway, I started playing the PSP version today and everything's back the way it's supposed to be - it'll be my first play through since I played the SNES version on release...

I liked the PSP version a lot though. I barely played the NDS version, didn't like the presentation much. One great component that they added was the fast forward/auto feature which makes grinding less of a chore. Not to mention they added After Years, which was a great addition and made the FFIV 2x longer. The Prelude was a nice (although very short and seemingly lackluster) addition too.

Ill show you a pic once I get my laptop. Strange, hope Im not the only one to be able to do this.

For Billychu:

34sfrsg.jpg

Anth0ny

Dark Schala said:
You could, but if you're looking for a good narrative, you are probably not going to get much out of FF1. I generally recommend that people don't play it until they've experienced some of the other FFs. If you want a good "introductory" FF, I'd recommend FFIV: CC PSP because much of the abilities and growth are set in stone.

However, I generally like to recommend FFV (explore ability system), FFVI (good narrative and overall package) and FFIX (what I think is an ideal vision of what "Final Fantasy" is... but if you haven't played previous FFs, you might not get all the references) because I personally like them. A lot of people would probably recommend FFVII based on its atmosphere, narrative and growth/ability system.

Yeah, seems like IV, V and VI are the best. I'm interested in VII too, I'll try it eventually to see what all the hub bub is about.

IV for PSP seems like the definitive edition for IV. What about V and VI? Any word of them getting a PSP port? Or should I just go for the GBA versions? What about the PSN versions? I'm guessing they have loading times =/

Instead of playing Sonic 2006 during your reading week, you should play Final Fantasy VI or IX. :p

That's this week. And Sonic 06 is happening.

Emitan

You are a witchdoctor or something I swear!

I think the SNES version of Final Fantasy VI is still the best. The GBA version suffers from bad audio and some slowdown.

Top Bottom