• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Guide Box Set from Prima listed on GameStop.com (FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX)

zeromcd73

open-fridge.gif

Sigh...

Squire

Banned
Anybody else think this kind of implies they're putting IX on PC? They could easily just do VII/VIII. They're the ones with Steam re-releases. Seems odd to go the extra mile to include a guide for a PS1 Classic, especially if they fix the issues with the original guide lacking content. SE hasn't actively promoted FFIX in over a decade. Why now?

give_it_to_me_stephen_colbert.gif

So they're finally going to put out a non-garbage FF9 guide. Only took 14 years. random.

Dunno if anybody else noticed this, but BradyGames' FF7 guide was in print forever. It only finally went out of print about a year or two ago (which is probably somehow related to this product). So it was a game guide in print for at least 15 years, 1997-2012, which might even be unprecedented. Maybe Diablo II can compete for the distinction, not sure.

A few years ago I e-mailed the author of that guide in hopes of doing an interview to find out just what had happened there.

His response:

:(

Very interesting. Obviously a product that was made without thinking of long-term viability.

Gameboy415

To say nothing of the extremely poor quality of their FF9 guide: "For the rest of this part of the guide, log into PlayOnline.com!"

So if they do anything to improve it, they'll get rid of all the playonline garbage and just put it onto special pages.

Yeah, that was especially frustrating for me because I was still in High School at the time and was stuck with 56K/AOL at home.
"Check PlayOnline.com for tips on how to beat this boss!"
*Waits 15 minutes while page loads on 56K*
*Mom picks up phone, AOL disconnects*

A few years ago I e-mailed the author of that guide in hopes of doing an interview to find out just what had happened there.

His response:

I doubt he'd still be under an NDA after so many years...he probably just didn't want to be reminded of his association with that train-wreck of a guide, haha.

Jarnet87

Very pricey, but I may bite if they are well designed. I love replaying those 3 titles (especially 9). would be cool to have a high quality guide.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
agreed, the original was a joke of a guide especially since you had to log into some stupid website for any of the actual information or walkthrough.

Wait, what is the story behind this? What was in the actual, physical guide then?

Was this done as some way to prevent "guide piracy" from photocopying or something?

Dear god...

Son Of D

Wait, what is the story behind this? What was in the actual, physical guide then?

Was this done as some way to prevent "guide piracy" from photocopying or something?

Dear god...

I never got the guide but I heard that it was basic and generic information. Like (paraphrasing) "To beat this boss it's good to have a good supply of potions before entering this dungeon. Also keep an eye out for the treasure chest containing the Diamond Gloves. For more information on this dungeon, log onto Playonline[.]com and search for this dungeon."

Probably a mix of preventing piracy and getting people onto their website since I believe they had big plans for the site. I think FFX had some sort of connectivity planned or something to do with using the website.

NateDog

If this comes to the EU (which I doubt it will) can't wait for the inevitable €130-€150 pricing. Can't say I wouldn't want the IX guide, but just a little too much.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I used ta have the original FFVII official guide but it somehow got lost along the way over the years ;_; I hope there's some chance they un-box an sell these new ones seperately. Would totally buy VII's solol

Minions

Way too overpriced for it to be worth it.

I mean if they are going for the "collectors version" shouldn't they spruce the guides up a bit and make them worth displaying? (I guess that could be the reason they included Lithographs...) I thought that was the whole idea of high priced stuff. The Collectors version (that got canceled...) of Hyrule Historia looked good and had interesting stuff which made it good for a coffee table. (I use my non CE one for that).

NolbertoS

Damn OP got banned real fast, come on Duckroll, OP jumped the gun badly. Don't be a BISH. Still for the FFIX strategy guide, thought playonline was gone.

I don't understand why it's soo expensive for ribbon bookmarked and deluxe covered treatment guidebooks. They better have screenshots of the HD remaster version that is in development or something.

Valnen

I don't understand why it's soo expensive for ribbon bookmarked and deluxe covered treatment guidebooks. They better have screenshots of the HD remaster version that is in development or something.

I guess they figure since only super hardcore fans will buy it anyway they can charge whatever they want.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody else think this kind of implies they're putting IX on PC? They could easily just do VII/VIII. They're the ones with Steam re-releases. Seems odd to go the extra mile to include a guide for a PS1 Classic, especially if they fix the issues with the original guide lacking content. SE hasn't actively promoted FFIX in over a decade. Why now?

VII and VIII were easy since they had the PC versions to work with. FFIX never had a PC version and with SE losing their source code and assets it's probably not something to expect anytime soon. Such a pity since they had the pre-rendered backgrounds at a higher resolution, as shown in this thread

The price is pretty steep for 3 guidebooks that may or may not be good.

B.K.

Dear god...

The story behind it is that at the time, Square was starting a big push for their PlayOnline service. They didn't want it to just be the backbone of Final Fantasy XI and a bonus feature for Final Fantasy X, but they also wanted players to go there for hints and strategies for all their games. In the Final Fantasy IX guide, on almost every page, there were sections that directed the reader to go to PlayOnline for more information about some aspect of the game. Making the guide basically be an ad for PlayOnline was the only way Square would let Brady make an official guide for the game. When IX was first released in Japan, they wouldn't let anyone even make a guide for it. Everything was on PlayOnline.

Wilsongt

The story behind it is that at the time, Square was starting a big push for their PlayOnline service. They didn't want it to just be the backbone of Final Fantasy XI and a bonus feature for Final Fantasy X, but they also wanted players to go there for hints and strategies for all their games. In the Final Fantasy IX guide, on almost every page, there were sections that directed the reader to go to PlayOnline for more information about some aspect of the game. Making the guide basically be an ad for PlayOnline was the only way Square would let Brady make an official guide for the game. When IX was first released in Japan, they wouldn't let anyone even make a guide for it. Everything was on PlayOnline.

"For a map of this dungeon, go to Play Online!"
"Want to know how to beat this boss? GO to Play Online!"
"Want to know whats in this treasure chest? Go to play online!"
"Want to know where this weapon is? Go to Play Online!"

Fuck that guide.

Minions

VII and VIII were easy since they had the PC versions to work with. FFIX never had a PC version and with SE losing their source code and assets it's probably not something to expect anytime soon. Such a pity since they had the pre-rendered backgrounds at a higher resolution, as shown in this thread

The price is pretty steep for 3 guidebooks that may or may not be good.

Where did you hear about them losing the Final Fantasy IX source code?

they need to make that FF ultimate anniversay box for the USA already. would buy the hell out of that. would make the best gaming collection in history.

but 3 guides for 130 hahahaa....no

Phil S.

Banned
Even as someone who still enjoys purchasing guides, this is too ridiculous of a price. The words better be printed with actual gold ink or something. hehe

I wonder if I still have my all my old guides lying around for the PSOne era games.The collector in me wants this, but there's no way I can afford it. I reread the Brady XI guide for all the smiles it brings and the god awful atlas they did. I remember really wanting the Xenogears guide because I couldn't figure out what the dolls did and a couple other items, but it wasn't carried locally. I looked in the back of the manual for an address and wrote Square a handwritten letter and since I never expected an answer, also asked them what I should learn to make games. I had my mom proofread it and mailed it off. To my surprise two weeks later in my mailbox sat a letter from Square. It answered all of Xenogears inquiries and even had a short, but pointed answer that what I needed to know depended on what I wanted to do. I ended up writing two more letters and got two more responses equally as detailed, but I didn't have the foresight to keep any of them.

Didn't you have to make an account, set up a profile like 30 information boxes, and then after hoping you didn't get disconnected (or run out of time on the library computer I remember doing mine on) could you see it? The profile stuff might have been me fanboying, but I feel like there were several hurdles once you got there just to get the damn answer.

Minions

Yes and it was the worst piece of crap ever. Everything told you to go to playonline.com for the answer, hint, explanation, etc.

Remember this is when people had 56.k, it sucked balls. Worst guide ever.

You are thinking of the Brady Guide.

Oh hey you're right. Wires crossed.
iXt0FTJzK7GLH.jpg

I'm not sure if Prima had a guide. I can't find references of one.

The alternative at the time was the piggyback version
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1903511100/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I sold my FFIX guide on Amazon a year or two ago and felt bad for whoever got it. I did call it 'infamous' in the description.

Minions

I was hoping for the Piggyback interactive guides. Those are top of the line guides. Prima not so much.

Even piggyback's FF9 guide had links to playonline for parts of it.... which is sad. If anything this new guide should be substantially better than everything else every sold as a guide.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Where did you hear about them losing the Final Fantasy IX source code?

I think someone mentioned it in a previous thread before. I can't remember so I'm just saying it based on memory.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Either I'm really tired or I'm losing my sight

I seriously thought it was $12.99, I was like not bad, then I read the comments...
Scrolled back up and adjusted to see $129.99...

Jesus!

SE Tax in Effect

My brother once had a rather nice ff8 guide, but I can't remember who made it. I think it was "official" though.

Would like to see what they look like before preordering. I'd want super snazzy covers that're higher quality then the zelda ones for that price :/

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Also a lot of these will be thrown around in Best Buy within a year for like $30 (if BB gets them)

I remember that Skyrim Bible that was pricey with it's hardcover, a year later there were like 20 of those just stacked on sale for < $20
I learned it's just good to wait it out

Top Bottom