• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy III |OT| A Fantasy Reborn

Y3MOaxP.png

Protected by the crystals of light, the once peaceful land has forever been changed by the great tremor. Without warning, the earthquake pulled the crystals into the earth, upsetting the world's fragile balance. It seems as if all hope is lost—but as the Gulgan prophecy foretold, four souls blessed with the light shall once again restore balance to the world...

Near the small village of Ur, fate guides Luneth to a sentient crystal that changes his life forever. As the light of the crystal fades, Luneth embarks on a journey to seek three others who share his destiny to search for the remaining crystals, and fight the battle of light and darkness...

FFIII_Castle_Artwork.jpg

About the Game
FINAL FANTASY III has been optimised for PC gaming with new and improved 3D visuals and story sequences, and will include Steam Trading Cards and Achievements and new visual designs for the Job Mastery Cards.

New and improved 3D visuals and story sequences
Quicker browsing through the monster bestiary and other game record
New visual designs for the Job Mastery Cards
Upgraded graphics for PC
Includes Steam Trading Cards & Achievements

The Gulgan thus prophesied:
"The earthquake was only the beginning. The great tremors that swallowed the crystals, the light of our world, only to spawn monsters from the depths of the scarred land, are nothing but harbingers of what has yet to come. Something is coming...fathomless, ominous, and full of sorrow... But hope is not yet lost. Four souls will be blessed with light, and so it shall begin..."

Characters
Vd7nw1H.png

chara_main01.png

An orphan raised by Nina and Elder Topapa in the village of Ur. Adventurous by nature, his curiousity gets the better of him as he tumbles into a whole created by the great earthquake.

chara_main02.png

Another orphan raised by Topapa and Luneth's best friend. Unlike Luneth, he prefers reading over gamboling in the wild. His studies endow him with great knowledge that more than makes up for his shyness.

chara_main03.png

A headstrong youth raised by the mythril smith Takka in the town of Kazus. The smith's rigorous training leads her to run away from home...not for the first time.

chara_main04.png

A loyal soldier of King Sasune's army, he narrowly escaped the Djinn's curse. His prime concern is finding the missing Princess Sara.

Job System
8QBe25v.png

You can change your job at any time! Characters can assume 23 jobs, each with their own unique ability. This brings a nearly infinite number of party variations. Mix and match jobs to create your ultimate party!

Physical-Oriented Jobs

YZIKNZO.png

Onion Knight

kxSeCdb.png

Freelancer

grarxMb.png

Warrior

E7Ml5Td.png

Monk

hefmOzI.png

Ranger

Qi40Bvs.png

Knight

8OWQMib.png

Thief

S6HCmoR.png

Dragoon

A6TKF5G.png

Viking

k7aFbNQ.png

Dark Knight

AcHvcnF.png

Black Belt

6OmcAvH.png

Ninja

Magic-Oriented Jobs

lYk9lY4.png

White Mage

MrvrRVQ.png

Black Mage

WMnEZOv.png

Red Mage

GSrvzPJ.png

Scholar

hYNJeNC.png

Geomancer

xrZNjgY.png

Evoker

YxAfpYJ.png

Bard

PLVR9in.png

Devout

gxcoR5F.png

Magus

te2JaAx.png

Summoner

NLc2Wgj.png

Sage

header_292x136.jpg

Buy FINAL FANTASY III - $15.99

esrb_e10.gif

Fantasy Violence
Mild Blood
Suggestive Themes

System Requirements
Minimum:
Processor: Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Hard Drive: 800 MB available space

Screens

Includes 18 Steam Achievements
6eb865019ee1a42555fa9303c8c7386cc5323b89.jpg

9d3fc3c73dd2e81b60afb3bc3654995fc2c1e9eb.jpg

Gone Adventuring with the Wind
Defeat Djinn and obtain the Wind Crystal.

f479e64d227736b4d93644c29fbaa48f9b18b198.jpg

For a Rainy Day
Save up 50,000 gil.

10fea2eea6fa3ab8e6eb30239369c8f29e740f96.jpg

Who Wants to Be a Gillionaire?
Save up 500,000 gil.

8650d220b5da5904e2ec23cc5bb40878f2f01204.jpg

Some Like It Hot
Defeat Salamander and obtain the Fire Crystal.

e48376a82edb61ece09845ae81ff15360cb2e0af.jpg

Warriors of Light
Defeat the Cloud of Darkness.

30f5583047a1a2a4dd71ad15171adf718f2e5e2c.jpg

Collecting is Half the Battle
Complete 50% of the Bestiary.

cf6a4215bc7b6dca16902b9b5ef8f92c4f6a3424.jpg

Release the Kraken
Defeat Kraken and obtain the Water Crystal.

ffee7a6a694821a77378d0fe2fc9c487ffed9429.jpg

When I Grow Up I Want to Be...
Attain level 99 with any job.

477b2ecb6aaa588b527f584a821c3814b8bcbe98.jpg

Nose for Treasure
Open 50% of all treasure chests.

e9c1e741f39256ded04003c128fbc032db011fd4.jpg

One Sword to Slay Them All
Obtain the Ultima Weapon from the Legendary Smith.

ee5072e7c001b51f43f1fa4be0e63c7c1bbe6479.jpg

My Little Esper
Obtain a summonable creature.

dbacbc8c96349bf843472b8536d994648582eebe.jpg

Quelling the Tremors
Defeat Titan and obtain the Earth Crystal.

1a5a3d2fabcb1a657928fdb45c6a986b88974b1d.jpg

Glutton for Arms
Obtain every weapon in Eureka, the Forbidden Land.

4e24c2349b8f4cdb0d59b3615f14103150b3c490.jpg

No Such Thing as Too Many
Obtain all the summonable creatures.

cd86d057a6d2b97475f14a8c1d979de79f364892.jpg

Steely Resolve
Defeat Iron Giant.

729469a41497e5843f7752d0361398ebc1366cfa.jpg

I, My, Me, Mine
Open every treasure chest.

2a7238c92042d7e939f23d5d22d2a417496ea176.jpg

Jack of All Trades
Attain level 99 with all jobs for all characters.

4e2950e08b11743db268cb5e5e78ceef93087fc3.jpg

Filling Up the Grotesquerie
Complete the entire Bestiary.

Faustek

Hmm, on the surface this looks good. Anyone actually played it on pc?

Is it a worthy remaster or just forced texture filtering?

ss-hikaru

Wow this looks adorable! I remember trying the DS version many many years ago and getting wiped in my first battle though... Probably gonna give it another try now, I like FF job systems :)

Thoraxes

Hmm, on the surface this looks good. Anyone actually played it on pc?

Is it a worthy remaster or just forced texture filtering?

It's a port of the Mobile version, which was basically a port of the DS version.

For reference some mobile screens:

braves01

Banned
Wow this looks adorable! I remember trying the DS version many many years ago and getting wiped in my first battle though... Probably gonna give it another try now, I like FF job systems :)

I've heard the III remake is very difficult and requires lots of grinding. That's what's always scared me off. The IV remake was hard enough, lol.

Seanspeed

Banned
I've heard the III remake is very difficult and requires lots of grinding. That's what's always scared me off. The IV remake was hard enough, lol.
IV was harder.

This can be challenging at times, though.

I'm definitely gonna buy this..........just probably not at full price. Already own it on the DS.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Oh yea, this game get hard near the end, you will come to know pain, that is if they have kept the old save system.

Boney

Banned
Buyer's beware.
It's not that hard of a game except for that ridiculous last stretch. But the game is such a slog to go through, job system is very limited and without much synergy and the set pieces are incredible dull. It's not a bad game but it's not a particularly good one.

SirNinja

So far, graphically, this looks basically like the DS/Android version, just in much higher resolution. Some textures have been increased in quality slightly, at least from DS, but there's no filtering. It's like a PS1 brought clumsily back to life on PC. You'll probably want to remap the controls too.

Tip for completionist first-timers: your characters' base max HP increases depending on the job you are when you level up. If you level to 99 using only low-HP jobs, you won't ever be able to reach 9999 HP with the character. The Black Belt class is the best job in terms of max HP gain per level. (You shouldn't worry too much about this until your level is around the 30s-40s.)

For those looking to get the full bestiary achievement: there are unfortunately quite a few missable enemies in this game. If you don't mind some small/moderate spoilers (and you shouldn't; there's not much to the story at all), see here for a list of missable enemies.

Also, don't waste Phoenix Downs. You can't buy them anywhere, and you can only steal them from an enemy that spawns rarely in one location. You will get the vast majority of them from chests. If you think you can make it back to town to revive, you should absolutely do that. Other than that - good luck and save often!

Never played III, will buy when on sale.
I heard that there's no save point in the final dungeon which could cause you to lose several hours of progress, is this true? Haven't they included a quick save option in this?

ss-hikaru

It seems that the remake has autobattle/battle speed up/one of those though? Would make it a bit more bearable.

Also, don't waste Phoenix Downs. You can't buy them anywhere, and you can only steal them from an enemy that spawns rarely in one location. You will get the vast majority of them from chests. If you think you can make it back to town to revive, you should absolutely do that. Other than that - good luck and save often!

o_O Thank you so much. I used to be a item hoarder but come Bravely Default I've started using my items lavishly...will definitely keep this in mind when I decide to play FF3!

Buyer's beware.
It's not that hard of a game except for that ridiculous last stretch. But the game is such a slog to go through, job system is very limited and without much synergy and the set pieces are incredible dull. It's not a bad game but it's not a particularly good one.

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but what do you mean the job system doesn't have much synergy?

Oh yea, this game get hard near the end, you will come to know pain, that is if they have kept the old save system.

What's the old save system like? Since I didn't even make it past the first battle I have no clue ^^;

(After all those comments now I don't know if I wanna play it anymore!!)

What's the old save system like? Since I didn't even make it past the first battle I have no clue ^^;

(After all those comments now I don't know if I wanna play it anymore!!)

There are no save points at all in dungeons. I believe you can only save on the overworld map or at an inn.

It's not a bad entry in the series, but its NES roots are apparent. Structure is pretty loose, the class system feels a bit limited and it has some difficulty spikes from time to time that probably should have been ironed out. That said, I had a decent time with it, and may be tempted to jump back if I have some time to spare.

I would have liked if they cleaned up the textures and maybe some of the models, but I guess this was just intended to be a quick port.

I'm going to quote this because it probably needs repeating.

As someone who already own the DS version, I'm guessing it's not worth buying it again on PC.

The game was decently fun to go through, but don't buy it for the plot, as it is very forgettable and basic. I still prefered FFV as a job class based Final Fantasy (or Bravely Default), because as far as customization goes, characters can only have skills from the class they currently are, which limits character construction quite a bit. I love searching for combinations with good synergy, and this game doesn't have much of this.

With that said, mechanics are still good and the game is challenging, so go for it if you want good old school adventure. Be aware that it is a little NES-ish though.

And yes, this time around, Phoenix Downs are part of the Too-Good-To-Use class, so save them.

So still 3 enemies in battle? I know the game was somewhat re-balanced around that but it still does make some encounters less deadly (9 enemies is a lot of trouble) and a late game dungeon a lot easier.

For FFV fans it should be noted this Job system is nowhere near as good with no ability mixing and many jobs appearing to be upgrades of older ones. Also, there many sections which will force particular jobs on you. A couple of dungeons early on are
mandatory mini so mages are a must

It also has a brutal final save point being outside the start of the final dungeon...which has a point of no return halfway through. I kind of lost to the final boss (given how I was taking the other bosses down with ease I thought I had no problem, nope, complete destruction and much hard than the FC version as that one
only attacks once per turn and the boss is a single target
) which knowing it will be a couple of hours just to retry with the same party was where I threw the towel in.

Falk

that puzzling face
For those looking to get the full bestiary achievement: there are unfortunately quite a few missable enemies in this game. If you don't mind some small/moderate spoilers (and you shouldn't; there's not much to the story at all), see here for a list of missable enemies.

AUGH

Restart #1 incoming.

zbarron

ff3_win322014-05-2714orkok.png

ff3_win322014-05-2714bvuzc.png

I just played it for a little bit but there were no graphical settings I could see, the game is locked at 30fps, and is not full 16x9 as you can see. I tried taking those shots at 4K but while 3840x2160@30hz was selectable it still showed up as 1080p. That might be me though. I just set that downsampling resolution and haven't tested it outside of that game.

Also I played this on my 120" screen so the textures in this game were quite jarring. I got used to it quickly and do find low polygon, unfiltered textures charming but it may turn some people off.

Wanted to give graphical impressions here but don't mean to turn anyone off. It's a quick loading smooth port and I wouldn't mind unwinding with this game sometime.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'd argue that filtering the textures in this case would probably do more harm than good.

See: FFVIII Steam

KnhLMwu.png

QEpWWWn.jpg

It also has a brutal final save point being outside the start of the final dungeon...which has a point of no return halfway through. I kind of lost to the final boss (given how I was taking the other bosses down with ease I thought I had no problem, nope, complete destruction and much hard than the FC version as that one
only attacks once per turn and is single target
) which knowing it will be a couple of hours just to retry with the same party was where I threw the towel in.

This is what I was talking about.
Unless someone makes a mod to allow for quick saves I'll pass. That sounds like a fucking nightmare.

Falk

that puzzling face
Eh, it's on PC. The quicksave feature (you get one load out of it) is intact so I'm willing to bet you'd be able to figure out where it saves to and make a copy/backup of it before loading if you so wished to cheese.

edit:

Gah, similarly, there are many permanently missable chests when considering 100% chest achievement

Will just repost my impressions from the other thread vs the PSP version:-

I'm having mixed sentiments after a preliminary playthrough, having just got the game from Steam.

The opening CG has been uprendered to 720p29.90 using the reasonably high quality VP 8 video codec (WebM, anyone?) and Vorbis audio codec as compared to the 480x272 cinematic on the PSP. Looks pretty decent, and also playable in your favourite media player since its in the mkv container format.

Sound files are also encoded using the OGG Vorbis format, and is readily playable using any media player too. Pretty decent quality stuff.

As for ingame graphics options, the game starts using a launcher which lets you configure all of the options there. It's rather simplistic though, only offering a choice of full screen/windowed and rendering resolution. Full keyboard and controller rebinding is also offered in the launcher.

Now here comes the bad news.

Have a look at the screen below. Notice the black bars on the sides? Yep, the game doesn't fill up a 16:9 resolution properly, and there's no way around it:-

Funny thing is that the Opening CG itself is in proper 16:9, but the rest of the game isn't.

I consider this a downgrade to the emulated PSP version on PPSSPP which had native 16:9 resolution support:-

The game is also hard capped to 30 (!) FPS, which I noticed when using FRAPS, just like the PSP version emulated in PPSSPP.

The menu interface also looks like they cribbed it from the Android/IOS versions and not the PSP version of the game, which I preferred.

The PC version is also missing out on the Famicom music extras that the PSP version had.

In conclusion, if you already have the PSP version of the setup on PPSSPP, stick with it, it's still the superior version.

Camisado

I mean this in the best way possible but this thread has already convinced me not to buy this game!

Thanks guys, looks like I would of given up after about 20 minutes with all the caveats (missable monsters, phoenix downs etc)

Maybe I'll pick it up in a sale, hope you guys enjoy!

Myths

PSP/PC version is where it's at. I'm glad FF3 is now more accessible than ever.

It's a shame they haven't gotten to FF5 in the same way as IV and III remakes.
I wonder if this release will light a path to mods...

glaurung

Pretty much everything I've read online about this game leads me to believe this was ported by someone's dog.

The incompetence of the technical aspect is almost uncanny.

But I think I will still get it at a suitably discounted price.

ampere

Buyer's beware.

Yea. Mostly you can beat the game just by grinding a lot when you get to a new boss area, but that end game area was brutal.

Worth playing if you want to experience an old Final Fantasy without playing it in Japanese on an NES.

Ludist210

IV was harder.
Disagree. III was more difficult by design because of the lack of save points. Maybe that was rectified in the mobile version (I played it on DS), but it made III much harder for me personally. One mistake, it's back to town with you.

Rizzi

It's not a bad game. It's a nice little slice of early jrpg nostalgia.
But that last dungeon can go fuck right off.

Ourobolus

Banned
A pretty good FF. I've got the DS and iOS versions so I won't pick this up, but it's worth a play if you've not played it yet. Job system's always a good time.

Apart from the last dungeon, there's not much grinding (and an earlier boss or two, but only if you're stubborn and don't use the jobs you're supposed to). The last dungeon can be pretty rough though, and the final boss is lightyears harder than the Famicom version.

Jack of All Trades

WHAT

Jarnet87

I hope this sells well in the hopes that ports like Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics go up on steam. I never beat it on DS so during a steam sale I might pick this up for cheap.

SirNinja

Jack of All Trades

Oh hell. Didn't notice this one. Doesn't look like I'm 100%ing this game.

For reference: my DS save file has about 89 hours on it, and my characters have mastered only about three jobs each: Onion Knight, Black Belt (for 9999 max HP), and one other job they were good at. At this point, they had all done everything there is to do, including getting all the rare Onion equipment for everyone in the party.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Well, Im getting curbed stomped by the end boss, and can't believe they didnt put a save point in the final dungeon. Luckily I am playing the pc version and can just close the game and start in the end room when I load it back up.

How did you DS players do it. That would have been 2 hours of progress (if you went past the point of no return) down the drain.

How did you DS players do it. That would have been 2 hours of progress (if you went past the point of no return) down the drain.

I remember I went in with a Dark Knight and Dragoon and quickly realized that the Blood Weapons they had equipped were being absorbed by the final boss, so I bailed myself out by just having them use my most damaging items. While the other two party members (I think one was a Ninja and I had some shurikens) did things normally.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Okay so apparently onion knights suck unless you raise them past lvl 92. Which I aint gonna do. New team:

83768ACD87AECC25321463A4126E3EFA0CF6AC19

Top Bottom