• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions |OT2| Now on iPad, iPhone & PSPGo / Vita

hmm, maybe I'll do that. Then I can play on my ps3, too...

No way. Play the newer version. Has a completely new translation as the original translation was pretty fucked with spelling errors or just weird text, if I remember correctly. New job classes, cell shaded cutscenes, story and battle scenes not in the original, new playable characters, couple new job classes. New version is the best version, even if you go with the PSP version with the weird slowdown.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
RetinaPad just allows to use the full Retina resolution of the app, but it's still not fullscreen :( FullForce is great but doesn't work on many games, sadly.

You lose maybe half an inch all the way around, it's negligable. And it looks gorgeous blown up to iPad size, it's a worthwile tradeoff. Although I think the mythical iPad version should maybe be a little more zoomed out, it gets a bit close up at times.

Minsc

Gold Member
Goddamnit I was hoping that the iPad version had come out today when I saw this get bumped :(

You are getting your wish after all, looks like the iPad version has been released.

On the heels of its iPhone and iPod touch releases, Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions comes to the iPad!

Final Fantasy Tactics was the first tactical RPG in the Final Fantasy series. Originally released on the PlayStation in 1997, the game has since gone on to sell over 1.3 million units in total. The PSP remake, "Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions" was released to critical acclaim in 2007 featuring added cutscenes, expanded storylines, and new jobs.

Now, in 2012, the battle continues on the iPad! Delve into deep strategic battle mechanics that feature tactical role-playing at its best and savor the story that put Ivalice on the map, all in their full glory on the iPad's screen.

■ Features
- Intuitive touch panel controls
Navigating the complex tactical RPG landscape is as simple as tapping units and spaces. Setting up is quick and easy as well. No longer limited to the fixed isometric camera angles of the original, players now have total freedom to rotate the camera, slide around the field, and zoom in or out!

- Reduced Wait Times
Wait times have been sped up to keep players in the action. Cutscenes can also be skipped.

- Optimized Graphics
The game has been designed to fit just right on the iPad's screen.

■ Planned Updates
Higher-res graphics for unit characters
Battle scene fast-forward feature
Event scene skip/fast-forward feature

The planned updates are bolded for emphasis. :) Gonna be a bit longer still before they roll out the hopefully amazing high-res sprite makeovers, oh well.

Edit: Some pics taken from cjelly's post in the iOS thread:

Pics, click to biggen.

mzl.yssrgoqu.png

mzl.dhwpyivx.png

mzl.mwcbesyy.png

ElyrionX

I really wish they would update this with more endgame content. As it is, there's just not much incentive to build an extremely strong party given that all battles become a cakewalk if you do a bit of grinding in late game.

Minsc

Gold Member
I really wish they would update this with more endgame content. As it is, there's just not much incentive to build an extremely strong party given that all battles become a cakewalk if you do a bit of grinding in late game.

Like another Deep Dungeon sized area? It's been a while since I've played, did those battles also suffer from being too easy? You could always self-impose class restrictions to make it harder (no archers/calculators/etc) I suppose. Generally I think sRPGs with complex enough class systems tend to have ways to "cheat" it to your advantage if you don't stop abusing the more powerful combinations. Wonder what are some of the harder ones that come to mind? Did the older Front Mission games or maybe even Wild Arms XF give a better challenge?

Would be nice if they implemented some sort of expert mode to make it less of a cakewalk overall, like maybe your characters only get 1/3 the normal hp/mp and greatly reduced ranged damage to make the battles higher risk. Doesn't seem likely though, haven't read anything about changing the balance.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Yay, let me know how the iPad release is guys!

I'm still waiting for my Rune Knight Ramza. I was disappointed that Ramza couldn't become one at the end of the original game.

ElyrionX

Like another Deep Dungeon sized area? It's been a while since I've played, did those battles also suffer from being too easy? You could always self-impose class restrictions to make it harder (no archers/calculators/etc) I suppose. Generally I think sRPGs with complex enough class systems tend to have ways to "cheat" it to your advantage if you don't stop abusing the more powerful combinations. Wonder what are some of the harder ones that come to mind? Did the older Front Mission games or maybe even Wild Arms XF give a better challenge?

Would be nice if they implemented some sort of expert mode to make it less of a cakewalk overall, like maybe your characters only get 1/3 the normal hp/mp and greatly reduced ranged damage to make the battles higher risk. Doesn't seem likely though, haven't read anything about changing the balance.

Deep Dungeon was cake. And my team wasn't even an ultimate cheese team like a team of all Calculators or something like that. Yes, I did have Orlandu in his overpowered base class and I did have a Calculator and I did have the most powerful equipments available but on the whole, I wasn't doing too much grinding or a whole lot of min/maxing and the game became a giant walk in the park.

The worst thing is that War of the Lions on the PSP had that multiplayer mode where you need to hook up with a friend to tackle some challenges and apparently, those were very very hard. Why couldn't they just have made that mode accessible for single player?

Minsc

Gold Member
New Zealand tends to get releases 12+ hours before elsewhere. You can see it in the appstore from the link I posted earlier above the big quote of the app's description. The link may not work when you click it, I'm not sure, if that's the case, temporarily change your location to New Zealand in the options and you'll be able to access it.

Edit: I would recommend waiting until it's available from your normal region to purchase, I think it's a pain to manage apps across multiple regions, never tried.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
PSP has slowdown. Not bad, but you may not be able to stomach it.

iPad doesn't AFAIK.

But PSX version works on PS3/PSP1/PSP2 (when updated to support PSX titles). So take that into consideration.

Minsc

Gold Member
I need to know if the slowdown issues are fixed.

From what I can gather:

PSP: 60 fps, improved difficulty patch, slowdown removal patch
iPhone 3GS/4: 20-30 fps, slowdown during special effects, enhanced resolution, higher resolution graphics for units (coming in future patch), higher resolution artwork, faster paced battles, multi-tasking with auto-save (hey this is pretty nice in turn-based games and they made a big deal about the difficulty of getting it implemented), battle & event scene ff / skipping, removal of multiplayer
iPhone 4S / iPad 2: 30 fps. Less slowdown. Same other iOS enhancements/drawbacks as above.

gate777

Deep Dungeon was cake. And my team wasn't even an ultimate cheese team like a team of all Calculators or something like that. Yes, I did have Orlandu in his overpowered base class and I did have a Calculator and I did have the most powerful equipments available but on the whole, I wasn't doing too much grinding or a whole lot of min/maxing and the game became a giant walk in the park.

The worst thing is that War of the Lions on the PSP had that multiplayer mode where you need to hook up with a friend to tackle some challenges and apparently, those were very very hard. Why couldn't they just have made that mode accessible for single player?

If you want a challenge with FFT try playing the 1.3 Hacktics patch that was made for it. INCREDIBLY difficult and induces insane amounts of rage.

LINK

cackhyena

So just to be sure. This game isn't universal? I've been tempted many times to get it for my Touch. Wondering if that purchase would translate/transfer to a future purchased iPad.

Minsc

Gold Member
epmode said:
Wait, the iOS versions don't even run at 60 FPS? Do people actually prefer 30 FPS to 60 with occasional slowdown? Gross.

If it's an action you use repetitively in every battle, the slowdown adds up pretty quickly. Some people really hate the added time every single time they use the action. I don't think it's so much of a preference of one or the other though, most people seem to not notice the lower framerate to begin with, or others are not bothered by the slowdown on the PSP. The 4S or 5 may even boost the framerate past 30 I'm not sure, I just know the 4 is not 60.

So just to be sure. This game isn't universal? I've been tempted many times to get it for my Touch. Wondering if that purchase would translate/transfer to a future purchased iPad.

Not universal, I don't think any of SE's real titles are. All universal apps have the "+" either to the left of the pricing, or under it followed by a short blurb about it being designed for both iPhone & iPad.

Thanks to the mod who updated the title. Might want to change PSPGo to Vita now too. I edited some information into in the OP and I'll get to the rest later. Sorry I was lazy about updating it with reviews and such :(

I wish the iPad version was more of an update, especially given the price. It looks silly with the big blue bar at the bottom

shira

On the heels of its iPhone and iPod touch releases, Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions comes to the iPad!

Final Fantasy Tactics was the first tactical RPG in the Final Fantasy series. Originally released on the PlayStation in 1997, the game has since gone on to sell over 1.3 million units in total. The PSP remake, "Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions" was released to critical acclaim in 2007 featuring added cutscenes, expanded storylines, and new jobs.

Now, in 2012, the battle continues on the iPad! Delve into deep strategic battle mechanics that feature tactical role-playing at its best and savor the story that put Ivalice on the map, all in their full glory on the iPad's screen.

■ Features
- Intuitive touch panel controls
Navigating the complex tactical RPG landscape is as simple as tapping units and spaces. Setting up is quick and easy as well. No longer limited to the fixed isometric camera angles of the original, players now have total freedom to rotate the camera, slide around the field, and zoom in or out!

- Reduced Wait Times
Wait times have been sped up to keep players in the action. Cutscenes can also be skipped.

- Optimized Graphics
The game has been designed to fit just right on the iPad's screen.

■ Planned Updates
Higher-res graphics for unit characters
Battle scene fast-forward feature
Event scene skip/fast-forward feature

Looking at the iphone version description in the OP it looks like they just re-typed this over inserting iPad for iPhone. I'm definitely going to wait for a video review and if they address specific issues.

Jason2slow

Neo Member
They're even going to patch the ipad version with new stuff... I hope they decide to re-release or patch the psp version for the vita to fix the ridiculous slowdown.

Minsc

Gold Member
They're even going to patch the ipad version with new stuff... I hope they decide to re-release or patch the psp version for the vita to fix the ridiculous slowdown.

I don't think it can be patched easily, it's hardcoded in to the PSP release. The iOS version is actually built off the original (non-WotL) release from what I understand, so they could get around the slowdown. I'd expect the Vita version to be an exact copy of the PSP version, thus having the slowdown and none of the other enhancements in the iOS version, but I've been wrong before guessing their effort at porting this, I never imagined they'd support retina on iOS or improve the graphics from the PSP version! :)

Agent_J

never played this game, but always wanted to. i'm too busy with gta3 now to buy anything so expensive, so hopefully the price will drop in a few months while i finish gta.

Magnus

Chipping away at this bit by bit on my phone over the months. I basically get through a battle and a half or so every subway commute, but it's nice to have it wherever I go.

There's a ton of spell-effect slowdown on a 4, sadly. Like, I'm staggered and astonished at how much choppiness occurs for a fucking Cure spell. I just don't get it. Outside of those effects, the game runs perfectly smooth. I seriously don't get it. At all. How can those awful, primitive effects be so taxing on the hardware? I wish I understood the complexities of programming so I'd know if they were really lazy with this port, or if they really can't get around such annoying slowdown.

Bah, thread title made me think the game was updated for touch support and iPhone's "retina" assets on Vita. I love it on iPhone but it's a bit cramped :-(

By the way, to the above poster, it's smooth on my 4S. But it had horrible crashing issues when first released.

Jubern

There's a ton of spell-effect slowdown on a 4, sadly. Like, I'm staggered and astonished at how much choppiness occurs for a fucking Cure spell. I just don't get it. Outside of those effects, the game runs perfectly smooth. I seriously don't get it. At all. How can those awful, primitive effects be so taxing on the hardware? I wish I understood the complexities of programming so I'd know if they were really lazy with this port, or if they really can't get around such annoying slowdown.

It's still MUCH better than on PSP since it's not lagging, just skipping frames.

Chipping away at this bit by bit on my phone over the months. I basically get through a battle and a half or so every subway commute, but it's nice to have it wherever I go.

porting from a ps1 game to a psp to ios is not the cleanest thing around. And SE tend to not really get ports down properly (their ds remakes are pretty stellar though). A lot of japanese studios back in the day delete all their work after a game is shipped... so needless extra work... and other factors (amount of effort for x amount of sales for a X year old port)= meh port.

Top Bottom