• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy The 4 Heroes of Light |OT| - GAF Members limited to only 15 posts!

Thought I make a OT for this. I'm excited for it. Also, this is my first OT so thought I start with a lower profile game! :)

4HeroesPackagedLEPoster.jpg

PLATFORMS: DS, DSi. 3DS (Next year!)

FROM: Matrix Software, the same studio behind the critically acclaimed Final Fantasy DS remakes.

STORY: The story revolves around a 14-year old boy summoned by the King of Horne to rescue his daughter, Princess Carino, who has been captured by the Witch of the North.

CONCEPT: (From 1up's Review) The purpose of 4 Heroes is to recreate the spirit of classic Final Fantasy, but in practice the game has almost nothing whatsoever in common with the series' 16-bit masterpieces. When it actually does resemble a Final Fantasy game, it's usually one from the 8-bit era.

RELEASE DATE: 10/5/10
EDIT: PRICE: $34.95 ($29.99 pre-order deal at Gamestop)

e3-2010-final-fantasy-iv-heroes-of-light-screens-20100616090710421_640w.jpg

CHARACTERS:

Brandt (ブランド), an ordinary fourteen year old who lived in the Kingdom of Horne with his mother Cuore. He has a strong sense of justice, yet still rough in manners.

Jusqua (ジュスカ), a silver-haired boy with an air of mystery surrounding him. He regards himself as a cool person, and treats Brandt as his rival.

Unita (ユニータ), a novice soldier in the Kingdom of Horne. She is a stoic and serious girl, but is nervous of her role.

Aire (アイレ), the second daughter of King Horne, and the younger sister of Princess Carino. She is the cheerful mood-maker of the group, due to her ignorance of the outside world.

GAMEPLAY:

e3-2010-final-fantasy-iv-heroes-of-light-screens-20100616090659745_640w.jpg

ITEM SYSTEM: (From 1up's Review) Each of the game's eponymous heroes is limited to carrying 15 items at any given time, which includes any equipped weapons, armor, and spells. So each character effectively has closer to 10 inventory slots apiece; mages have even fewer, since each spell in their repertoire is represented by an inventory-filling book as well. But 4 Heroes is a very deliberately designed game, one created with a specific aim in mind, and its much-reviled inventory system is simply an aspect of that design.

BATTLE SYSTEM: (From 1up's Review) Its combat system, which doesn't allow you to choose direct targets for your characters' actions, is strongly reminiscent of Sting's Riviera: The Promised Land, all the way down to the fact that the heroes' seemingly random autonomous actions follow very predictable rules and can easily be guided by attentive players.

REVIEWS:

final-fantasy-the-4-heroes-of-light-20100719101754320_640w.jpg

1up: B+

What's in a name? 4 Heroes of Light feels like a total outlier even for Final Fantasy, a series which is constantly reinventing itself. It's a grand, involving adventure, but it's one that plays by its own rules -- not by the rules of Final Fantasy. It's a game less likely to appeal to fans of the series than it is to people who are drawn to tough RPGs in the old-school vein; there's more of Shiren the Wanderer here than of Cloud Strife or Terra Branford. Maybe the only way Square's old-time developers can make a game that hearkens back to the days of classic, demanding RPGs is to dress it up in cute graphics and disguise it as a Final Fantasy game, but so be it. I'm glad they pulled it off. 4 Heroes of Light is one of the better games I've had in my DS recently... even if there is a whiff of false advertising about it.

Nintendo Power: 8

As an older player with fond memories of early 8- and 16-bit RPGs, I found its nostalgia trip to be well worth taking. But if I were playing it without that past experience, I'm not sure how much I would appreciate its intentionally dated game design.

IGN: 8

There are a number of good RPGs on the DS recently, so gamers have their pick. But The 4 Heroes of Light is definitely a contender for your money. It's got a simple battle system that is strengthened by its high level of character customization and constant need for strategic planning. The style is really unique and fresh, the story is lengthy, and the characters are charming (even if the plot is a bit weak). At times it feels too focused on level grinding, and it's hard to get into if you're expecting a standard RPG, but it's the nonstandard qualities that ultimately make it shine.

Eurogamer: 7

Its back-to-basics approach strips away much of the pointless frippery of the modern JRPG without stripping out the satisfaction of playing them. The DS isn't short of absorbing RPGs, but 4 Heroes of Light is a worthwhile addition, particularly for anyone with fond memories of simpler, happier times for Japanese role-playing.

Game Informer - 6

Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light isn't glitchy or broken, but that's the highest compliment I can muster.

Gamepro - 5

The story and dialogue aren't deep -- the play and art are the stars of the show -- but what little there is comes off as morally confused.

SCREENSHOTS:

final-fantasy-the-4-heroes-of-light-20100719101730352_640w.jpg
four-warriors-of-light-final-fantasy-gaiden-20090924032130453_640w.jpg

four-warriors-of-light-final-fantasy-gaiden-20090924032131672_640w.jpg
four-warriors-of-light-final-fantasy-gaiden-20090924032132625_640w.jpg

four-warriors-of-light-final-fantasy-gaiden-screens-20090727095621640_640w.jpg
e3-2010-final-fantasy-iv-heroes-of-light-screens-20100616090657150_640w.jpg

final-fantasy-the-4-heroes-of-light-20100719102225495_640w.jpg
final-fantasy-the-4-heroes-of-light-20100719102211589_640w.jpg

VIDEOS:

E3 Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYytUIxFN3g

Dungeon/Battle Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZsh_Wp8kbc

World Map Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNMRmCCJq_8

Developer Diary #1: http://www.gamespot.com/ds/rpg/hikarino4senshifinalfantasygaiden/video/6279246/final-fantasy-the-4-heroes-of-light-developer-diary-1?hd=0

Developer Diary #2: http://www.gamespot.com/ds/rpg/hikarino4senshifinalfantasygaiden/video/6279960/final-fantasy-the-4-heroes-of-light-developer-diary-2?hd=0

Developer Diary #3: http://www.gamespot.com/ds/rpg/hikarino4senshifinalfantasygaiden/video/6280349/final-fantasy-the-4-heroes-of-light-developer-diary-3?hd=0

Oxx

Sort of want.

Last I checked it was super-duper-cheap in Europe even before the inevitable Square Enix DS game price collapse.

Given the lack of other DS releases that tickle my fancy in 2010, I might be tempted as it drops closer to £10.

Empty

That art style really is something. Some really stunning backdrops. I think i'll have to check it out at some point, i do love rpgs on portables.

How was the game received by J-GAF?

Poyunch

I'd get the game if I only had access to a DS/DSi. :/
Empty said:
That art style really is something. Some really stunning backdrops. I think i'll have to check it out at some point, i do love rpgs on portables.

Pretty badly actually.

Johnas

Empty said:

I seem to remember duckroll lodging a pretty serious complaint against it, but I can't remember specifically what it was.

I love the character artwork, but the in-game look of it I'm not too crazy about. Don't really like the way the characters look, I know it's a throwback to the old days where half of the sprite was the character's head, but it just bugs me here.

atbigelow

I have this preordered and should be shipping next week (yay Amazon Prime).

Heard lots of bad things, gameplay-wise, but the style is just too good for me to ignore.

Tiktaalik

In addition to his favourable review, JParish also posted on his blog some impressions of the game. http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9058299

Overall he's really trying to get across that this isn't a typical Final Fantasy game, but it is an interesting, unique RPG.

The 4 Heroes of Light doesn't appeal to the same part of me as a normal Final Fantasy game. It resonates with the part of my brain that loves Etrian Odyssey and Shiren the Wanderer, the kind that treats RPGs as fascinating puzzles to be unwound and mastered. A lot of people are going to find 4 Heroes' mechanics -- particularly its limited inventory and somewhat hands-off battle system -- frustrating. I found them interesting. To me, they're a perfect example of what I like about RPGs: their diversity.

But ultimately, every time I hit a wall in the game, I could always work around it by rethinking my gear and skills. To me, that's a hallmark of a great RPG: knowing you have the ability to surmount a challenge, and that it's ultimately just a matter of figuring out how. I guess I just like games that make me feel smart, even if it's an illusion. But really, 4 Heroes appeals to my love of challenging myself to within the rules laid down by a game. It's difficult in places, but once you figure out how to work within the system, you have a lot of flexibility and power. And I do so love gaming an RPG's laws to empower myself.

I am pretty interested in this title but I may not pick it up immediately since I'm so busy at the moment.

Teknoman

I have no problem with strange battle systems that take a little getting used to. I thought Romancing Saga Minstrel Song was awesome (the art style and music helped) and i'm sure the same will work here.

The only problems people will probably have is limited inventory space, and the fact that it auto targets groups?

Amir0x

Banned
I love the music in this game, it's awesome

i've heard less than stellar impressions about this game from virtually all quarters, but I think I am still going to buy it to try it

Tiktaalik

Regulus Tera said:
I shall waste my first post by lamenting all of you fuckers for buying into this shit. :(

What do you mean by that? Buying into a ho hum game because of the Final Fantasy license? Trusting JParish's review? Other?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Tiktaalik said:
What do you mean by that? Buying into a ho hum game because of the Final Fantasy license? Trusting JParish's review? Other?

Buying into a subpar JRPG with some neat ideas.

On the other hand, the artwork and the music are gorgeous. If a soundtrack or an artbook ever get released I shall get them.

Second post used!

Gravijah

Regulus Tera said:

On the other hand, the artwork and the music are gorgeous. If a soundtrack or an artbook ever get released I shall get them.

Second post used!

Would renting this count as "buying into" it?

Also, is the sequel to this game fixing all the weird shit?

I'm just sold on the art style alone. And that it's another DS JRPG for my collection.

And it doesn't look too bad. I'm aware of J-GAF's impressions. But it still looks like something I can enjoy...

...I hope!

BooJoh

Regulus Tera said:
Have you played it? Just curious what your basis for comparison is in calling it subpar.

Personally I often find I love simplistic/old-fashioned games.

Gravijah

Busaiku said:
A sequel was announced?

Maybe I'm confusing it with something else.

Edit: Yep, I was confusing it with that phone game Final Fantasy Legends Warriors of Light and Darkness.

Yaweee

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
But 4 Heroes is a very deliberately designed game, one created with a specific aim in mind, and its much-reviled inventory system is simply an aspect of that design.

And sometimes, design choices can be shitty, even if they are deliberately made.

Excessive inventory management has always been one giant deal-killer for me, and this game sounds like one of the worst I've heard of. Too small limited with class changing AND exclusive weapons and spells using up that limited inventory space AND characters taking all of their shit with them permanently when they leave? It sounds like some sadistic fuck decided to make something like FF5, but had no fucking clue what additions would make the game a gargantuan pain in the ass to play.

It's a shame. I think the art design and music are phenomenal, and the fundamental class system sounds like it is among the series' best.

DaBuddaDa

I want to want this, but I can't get over the made-for-6-year-olds art style. The characters all look like Stewie Griffin for christs sake.

I agree completely with Jeremy Parish: Square has proven time and time again, and is evident in this game, that they have no clue what made the SNES-era Final Fantasy games great. This may be a fun, old school RPG, but it ain't no Final Fantasy.

jeremy1456

DaBuddaDa said:
I agree completely with Jeremy Parish: Square has proven time and time again, and is evident in this game, that they have no clue what made the SNES-era Final Fantasy games great. This may be a fun, old school RPG, but it ain't no Final Fantasy.

To anyone who can read it is obvious that this is more based on the 8-bit Final Fantasy games.

Yaweee

jeremy1456 said:
To anyone who can read it is obvious that this is more based on the 8-bit Final Fantasy games.

Which of the 8-bit Final Fantasies had such limited inventories?

I honestly don't see what similarities it has to FF1,2,3 over 5, except maybe a more open world?

BooJoh

DaBuddaDa said:
I was under the impression that they were going for NES, not SNES? The utter simplicity of the story, characters, battles, everything. It reeks of old-fashioned games before every RPG had to be about emo teens saving the world from bishounen with god complexes.

A lot of JGAF went in with high expectations and were severely let down. Hopefully we've done a good enough job talking the game down that it can pleasantly surprise you guys, or something.

jeremy1456

Yaweee said:
Which of the 8-bit Final Fantasies had such limited inventories?

Let's play a game.

Choose one feature from a game. Just one. Focus in that and ignore all other arguments to make a point.

I'll take a stab at it - which of original FF games had polygonal graphics?

Yaweee

Segata Sanshiro said:
A lot of JGAF went in with high expectations and were severely let down. Hopefully we've done a good enough job talking the game down that it can pleasantly surprise you guys, or something.

I'm hoping The Last Airbender pulls something similar when I eventually see it.

jeremy1456 said:
Let's play a game.

Choose one feature from a game. Just one. Focus in that and ignore all other arguments to make a point.

I'll take a stab at it - which of original FF games had polygonal graphics?

Okay, I understand what you're getting at. It was unfair for me to throw out a single example like.

But honestly, I've read a bunch about the game and nothing really strikes me as being any more like 1,2,3, than 5. If you can paint an argument that makes it sound as such, go right ahead. To me, it sounds closer to 5, but also with a whole bunch of gameplay mechanics redesigned to not really be like any FF in particular.

jeremy1456

Yaweee said:
I'm hoping The Last Airbender pulls something similar when I eventually see it.

Okay, I understand what you're getting at. It was unfair for me to throw out a single example like.

But honestly, I've read a bunch about the game and nothing really strikes me as being any more like 1,2,3, than 5. If you can paint an argument that makes it sound as such, go right ahead. To me, it sounds closer to 5, but also with a whole bunch of gameplay mechanics redesigned to not really be like any FF in particular.

I'm sorry, that might have came off as harsh.

To me the game reeks of classic FF. From having (strictly) four party members, to being turn based (no atb), to the job system.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Game is mine.

Also, any negative connotations with regard to Shiren can go screw themselves.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Pretty sure I've got an Amazon Prime preorder out, but since I'm hardcore into my Kingdom Hearts series run, I doubt I'll be getting into this any time soon.

jeremy1456

Mejilan said:
Pretty sure I've got an Amazon Prime preorder out, but since I'm hardcore into my Kingdom Hearts series run, I doubt I'll be getting into this any time soon.

I'm so sorry to hear that. You sir are a martyr.

demonkaze

Despite its numerous flaws, I've ordered this game. For £18 i couldn't resist and hey, I'm playing (and enjoying, somehow) ffxiv which has more flaws than any other game I can remember.

Top Bottom