• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy The 4 Heroes of Light |OT| - GAF Members limited to only 15 posts!

Synless

For those of you who have beaten the game, what crowns are the best classes to work on in the game? I am trying to get this out of my backlog and I want to only work on enhancing the best crowns possible, thanks!

If you need to grind for gems, use the Merchant's finder and keeper abilities on enemies. I can't remember exactly how it works, but I think multiple Merchants can steal gems from the same enemy, so you can really grind out gems if the entire party is set to this class. This becomes especially important once you are doing the late-game secret towers, because you can upgrade equipment many many times to fashion extreme gear.

Hero is great, my preferred fighting class. Bladeblitz allows you to hit all the enemies using just a sword. Wrath can be very useful against enemies strong against physical but weak against magic. I used this one on at least one member (sometimes two) from the time it was available until I was done with the game, and it practically felt like cheating.

Celine

Uncle Rupee said:
I agree, it is a great little game, but some of the bosses were a bit unbalanced (forcing the player to return to town and buy the correct elemental weapons and shields). Another thing I really disliked was how they did the four optional towers. Every now and then you'd get to a floor that was just too big, and trying to find the little staircase to proceed with such a limited field of view made it extremely tedious. I felt like a rat in a maze.

I wouldn't mind a sequel, but I'm hoping Matrix is developing a remake of FF5 soon.
Agree.
Also I hate how you can fuck up when there are the changing group chapters.

If you don't equip the right spells for the next segment on your mage and then many hours later you return to him while he is in the middle of map, there is a good chance you can die and lose gems.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Synless said:
For those of you who have beaten the game, what crowns are the best classes to work on in the game? I am trying to get this out of my backlog and I want to only work on enhancing the best crowns possible, thanks!
I had not issues with
* a bard: best early-on crown by far - harps can be formidable weapons at the start of the game, and later on the various stats-boosting songs come very handy too
* a white mage: anyway you look at the game, you need a healer. And the top skills of the crown are just super-powers (and you'll need them during the end spiel)
* a rogue: can be very dexterous and gets good critical hits, and also give very good leveling stats.
* a knight (and later on preferably a hero): the latter in particular will be your main firepower, along with..
* a magic fencer: combined physical and high-level magical attacks are indispensable at some stages of the game
* a dark mage: used it for a while during the first 2/3rds of the game, later switched to magic fencer.

general tips:
* the above crowns are by no means definitive - the game offers practically endless working combinations of crowns (the only must-have job in your party possibly being the white mage).
* refrain from equipping very heavy weaponry to your hard-hitting classes, lest they always get the last turn in a battle.
* in the same line of thought, try the dancer crown - gets extra benefits from knives, and the latter are the weapons to get the best initiative during battles (and oh boy at some of the knives you'll come across)
* invest heavily in upgrading your white mage crown - the sooner you get to group healing/boosting spells, the easier your life will be.

Boney

Banned
My best damage dealer was a black mage with the ultimate spell (meteor?). Basically my whole party revolved around it.

blu

Billychu said:
Just ordered it and my copy should be here on Thursday!
Boney, what have you done!..

good job

Synless

I'm stuck trying to get to some winter town with just Brandt. I'm lvl. 21 and these enemies are killing me.

Boney

Banned
Synless said:
I'm stuck trying to get to some winter town with just Brandt. I'm lvl. 21 and these enemies are killing me.
If I remember correctly, Ranger with a fire bow works great there.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Just started playing this game, I'm just grinding around the first town now. Not really sure what to think about the game yet; we'll see after I play it some more. Am I correct in assuming this game isn't terribly long?

Synless

Boney said:
If I remember correctly, Ranger with a fire bow works great there.
Yeah, I have a fire bow and I will switch to a ranger. the problem is groups of enemies destroy my health. I'll give it a go again tomorrow.

Boney

Banned
Synless said:
Yeah, I have a fire bow and I will switch to a ranger. the problem is groups of enemies destroy my health. I'll give it a go again tomorrow.
You could always switch to wayfarer and run away when there's a big group.
Level 2 is an assured run if I remember right

blu

Synless said:
Dark-nullifying defense equipment. IIRC, the biggest threat there were the dark-attacking monsters. Also, one of them was a specter with some very high evasion, so upgrade your weapons. By that time I think I had something like +12 weapons.

Boney

Banned
blu said:
Dark-nullifying defense equipment. IIRC, the biggest threat there were the dark-attacking monsters. Also, one of them was a specter with some very high evasion, so upgrade your weapons. By that time I think I had something like +12 weapons.
Dark shield from urbeth should do right?

blu

Boney said:
Dark shield from urbeth should do right?
Yep.

Also, there's a dark-nullifying cape somewhere, but I can't remember where for the life of me.

blu

Billychu said:
The pirate guy is really tough. Going to gain a few levels first.
That's perhaps the first battle the game pushes you to really start using opponent's vulnerabilities.

Celine

Billychu said:
How do I get monies? Monsters don't drop G.
Wait until you are in a certain town.
You'll make thousand of money then ( good god that section reminded me of DQ IV Torneko chapter so much ).

EDIT:
Synless said:
If I got it right where you are then the only problem is the ghost monster ( even more if you meet him in a group and he is the first target ) and maybe the bear.
I changed the job so I could easily escape that battle also cause that section serves only to close the chapter.

Hope you equipped wisely at the end of the previous chapter.

djtiesto

The scenario is certainly starting to pick up a bit, ever since
the princess got turned into a cat... and also the merchant minigame in Urbeth
. I just beat Abaroc, haven't had too much trouble with the difficulty apart from times when I missed event triggers - going through the tunnel to Urbeth with just the princess, dying in an endless corridor, not realizing I was supposed to have met my hero character back in Guerra. The limited resources still haven't really bugged me yet, and I haven't had too much in the way of difficulty - got lucky and paralyzed Abaroc with a bolt sword, and he went down quickly.

So Wal-Mart had this for $15 for the longest time but I passed on it, and unfortunately last night they were all gone...hate myself a bit.

Worth $20?

blu

AbsoluteZero said:
So Wal-Mart had this for $15 for the longest time but I passed on it, and unfortunately last night they were all gone...hate myself a bit.

Worth $20?
If you're into JRPGs - definitely.

djtiesto

AbsoluteZero said:

Worth $20?

If you like pick-up-and-play 8bit style RPGs and can get over a bunch of gameplay quirks/eccentricities, I'd say so. There are certainly much better RPGs on the system but I'm having a good time with the game.

djtiesto

^ on second note... I just made it to the final dungeon and
losing all your crowns SUCKS!
- I was just hoping to march in and quickly finish this game, ugh. Spending more time on this game and it's really worn thin, I can't really recommend it at all.

blu

^ on second note... I just made it to the final dungeon and
losing all your crowns SUCKS!
- I was just hoping to march in and quickly finish this game, ugh. Spending more time on this game and it's really worn thin, I can't really recommend it at all.
I didn't find much issue with that portion. The game just gives you one final 'steep section' to solve, where you'd normally expect to powersteer. If you've made it this far, you should not have issues going intelligently thorough that section. Does it slow you down a tad? Sure. But's its nothing that bad. Actually I found it quite enjoyable.

Boney

Banned
I didn't find much issue with that portion. The game just gives you one final 'steep section' to solve, where you'd normally expect to powersteer. If you've made it this far, you should not have issues going intelligently thorough that section. Does it slow you down a tad? Sure. But's its nothing that bad. Actually I found it quite enjoyable.

Same here thought it worked great.

faridmon

So I went back to finish this game, and I am actually enjoy it more than ever, because I am taking time in finish it which makes the grinding a little bit less frustrating. The story is minimal, but it have a great flow. I am still halfway through and some of the bosses are quite challanging, but the gamplay and the battle system is quite addicting.

Hopefully I keep playing untill I reach the end. Did anyone find it to be better as you go along?

Usobuko

Banned
Does anyone encounter your save being corrupted and gets auto-delete in this game? Could it be due to the game being forcefully turned off when your DS ran out of battery?

I'm hesitant to restart and just move on other games on my backlog.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
Just picked this up on a whim at a local game shop for 10 bones. Absolutely love it.

It really challenges some expected conventions:

- Monsters don't drop money, BUT
- AP (MP) is infinitely rechargeable, meaning if you game the system right, you don't need Inns or items.
- 15 item limits fights my compulsion to have 99 of everything

It takes some mental adjusting, but it's super fun and reminds me of old school goodness without being completely old school goodness.

A very overlooked game.

Kenka

Dammit, the more I level up, the harder the game gets. What am I doing wrong ? :-(

The last boss kicked my ass and I now have to crawl through the entire dungeon again.

Top Bottom