• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy The 4 Heroes of Light |OT| - GAF Members limited to only 15 posts!

BooJoh

seady said:
Is this pretty much Dragon Quest IX clone?
Not even remotely. Other than turn-based battles DQIX is exceptionally modern.

4HoL is supposed to be an homage to NES RPGs, almost like if they were making a brand new RPG series and it was still the early 80s. Except it's 3d.

Neil

Oh crap, I meant to cancel my pre-order but it was despatched today. I guess £16 is very reasonable though.
Seems like I'll be playing it after all!

I do like the look of the art design and the graphics, very FF9, but... cuter?

Crazetex

If this is in stock at GameStop tomorrow, I'm buying it. I've had my eye on it for a while, and God help me I actually beat FF3DS on my first try. I'm glad a decent OT came up for this!

This looks like FF3DS, if FF3DS didn't make me want to kill myself.

If 4WoL isn't in stock, I will be getting Etrian Odyssey 3.

Almyn

If anyone in the UK is looking to get this a little earlier than usual, I just got an email telling me my shopto order has been dispatched. Should be here tomorrow with any luck.

Now do I play 4 heroes of light, Etrian odyssey 3, Phantasy Star Portable 2 or finish up Dragon Quest IX? There are so many great handheld games about at the moment.

Oxx

I'm not sure if I can go back to random battles after playing so much Dragon Quest IX and Tales this year.

It makes a surprising amount of difference.

As a FF1 fan I was extremely excited about this game when it was announced, but after hearing about the battle system my interest decreased. I'd still like to give it a try though, despite it not being what I was hoping it would be.

Crazetex

It seems that the biggest issues Eurogamer had were the occasional lack of direction and surprising lack of charm in the world's denizens.

Sounds like a 10/10 for me, considering that simple stuff like "Are those REALLY your legs?" in a town I randomly found via my airship is enough to sate me.

Hobbun

Scythesurge said:
As a FF1 fan I was extremely excited about this game when it was announced, but after hearing about the battle system my interest decreased. I'd still like to give it a try though, despite it not being what I was hoping it would be.

Pretty much my feelings as well. I think this game would be perfect for me if you could target in combat. The limited inventory space isn't even as much as an issue with me (from what I've heard about it).

But I am also still going going to give it a try.

djtiesto said:
Nice that it's $30, got kinda sick of paying the S-E tax after a while :p
Actually, I made a mistake. It says it was $29.99 at Gamestop but that's after a pre-order deal where they take $5 off.

The real price is $34.95.

Sorry about that. Gamestop confused me a bit and I couldn't find this game listed in any other major retail store, which means not many stores may carry it. That's kind of a bummer for a Final Fantasy game.

Amneisac

So, I think I'll pick this up someday, I love the old school FF games. Something funny that this made me realize though and not to hijack the thread:

I usually wait until DS games are $19.99 (they get there pretty quickly) and Chrono Trigger has been $19.99 or lower for a while, but I've just never got it (I have the SNES version), but I've always wanted it.

When I went to Amazon to check on Four Heroes I realized that Chrono Trigger was out of stock, and it was out of stock at walmart, and best buy and a lot of other places I looked. I wound up getting it at Sam's for $18, but that was a little scary. Anyone know if it's getting a reprint?

If I were only going to get DQIX or this for the next 6 months, which would you guys recommend?

Yaweee

Amneisac said:
If I were only going to get DQIX or this for the next 6 months, which would you guys recommend?

That is a tough call due to the how few people have played both games. Why is it a choice between those two? There are a ton of good RPGs on the system.

DQIX is the first and hopefully only DQ game that I've given up on. I seem to be in the minority on it though; I liked the class system and improved inventory management/customization, but the quest and world design felt extremely tedious (low limit on number of active quests, low drop rates, ridiculous class-specific conditions, only being able to change classes at one place, only being able to fuse items at one place, only being able to check the online store from one place...)

Amneisac said:
So, I think I'll pick this up someday, I love the old school FF games. Something funny that this made me realize though and not to hijack the thread:

I usually wait until DS games are $19.99 (they get there pretty quickly) and Chrono Trigger has been $19.99 or lower for a while, but I've just never got it (I have the SNES version), but I've always wanted it.

When I went to Amazon to check on Four Heroes I realized that Chrono Trigger was out of stock, and it was out of stock at walmart, and best buy and a lot of other places I looked. I wound up getting it at Sam's for $18, but that was a little scary. Anyone know if it's getting a reprint?

I doubt there will be a reprint of Chrono Trigger. Gamestop may carry used copies or new ones if you get lucky.

As for what should you get? DQIX all the way. No question about it. But, if you are planning to pick up FF4 Heroes of Light later on, it may be wise to pick it up sooner depending on how rare or how limited the release it is. DQIX is still sold in almost every major retail/electronic store so you'll have no trouble finding that. You can always get that later.

But DQIX is the much better game by far.

Crazetex

I now own this and will be posting reactions by tomorrow morning.

I really like the poster that comes with it. Small but cute!

Amneisac said:
Without even having to think about it, DQ9. They're not even in the same league, not even close. It's like asking which you should get out of Super Mario Galaxy 2 and, like, Blade Kitten.

Particularly if you're looking for something to play over a long haul, DQ9 has a chance of lasting you for six months thanks to its impressive variety of content and downloadable story quests, while 4HoL is something you'll finish and probably not want to play ever again.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
It's not that bad. More like between SMG2 and Jak and Dexter.
No, see, that's comparing a 10 game and a 9 game. Those two are a clear league apart, but at least it's the next league over. DQ9 and 4HoL are so far apart in terms of quality that the choice, I feel, actually has an objective correct and incorrect answer.

And I've actually played through both of them. :p

Segata Sanshiro said:
No, see, that's comparing a 10 game and a 9 game. Those two are a clear league apart, but at least it's the next league over. DQ9 and 4HoL are so far apart in terms of quality that the choice, I feel, actually has an objective correct and incorrect answer.

And I've actually played through both of them. :p
Yeah, but I think FF4HoL is more like a 8 game as I play it right now.

I'm liking it a lot.

BooJoh

I preordered at Amazon a month ago and my copy hasn't shipped yet (probably because I went with free shipping) but the page says it's backordered, so I'm thinking this game probably isn't getting a very big print run.

There's really no telling if it'll be $20 or just impossible to find 6 months from now.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Segata Sanshiro
Poo-pooing FFT4WL since 2009
(Today, 01:18 AM)
Reply | Quote

Aeana

TheChillyAcademic said:
4 Heroes of Light may not be the best game out there, but please, dont compare it to that mess.
Uh huh.

DQ9 isn't one of my favorite DQ games, but it is far better than 4WoL. I'm totally with Segata on this one.

Picked this up at K-mart today. I'm really enjoying everything about it so far. Music's awesome, I like the art direction, gameplay is relatively solid. When I was in the first town, it immediately reminded me of Animal Crossing, just because of how the world moves, and I guess the art design, too. If you can, get it at K-mart; I got a free $15 gaming coupon, which I'll probably use on Enslaved.

blu said:
Segata Sanshiro
Poo-pooing FFT4WL since 2009
(Today, 01:18 AM)
Reply | Quote
What can I say? The game really let me down. Considering who worked on it, the fact that it turned out as what can be charitably described as an acceptable game with incredibly deep flaws is a major disappointment.

Segata Sanshiro said:
What can I say? The game really let me down. Considering who worked on it, the fact that it turned out as what can be charitably described as an acceptable game with incredibly deep flaws is a major disappointment.
Don't disagree with you at all Segata. If it wasn't for the art style I probably won't think to highly of it as I do right now.

Sometimes art style and graphics DO go along way.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Segata Sanshiro said:
Actually I was merely pointing out you're doing a service to me. That way I won't get into the game with set expectations, instead I'll just let it reveal itself to me. You may be surprised how many good games I've played like that, games that gaf has greeted with disdain and snobbery (not implying anything about you here ; )

The sad truth of the matter is that 4WOL is a very pretty game and fun for about 20 minutes or so...a rainbow still looks pretty when it bleeds neh?

I just wanted to get Aeana riled up :D

ronito said:
So I keep hearing people pan the game.

But why? what's so wrong with it?
The game gets pretty tedious, I guess. With the limited inventory, difficulty spike when it comes to bosses, lack of direction, and lot's of grinding.

I can appreciate these things and I think the game is really enjoyable. But I can understand why the game can be a pain to some.

I'll be honest, I kind of felt this way with DQIX. But I'm liking FF4 Heroes of Light because of the art style.

ronito said:
So I keep hearing people pan the game.

But why? what's so wrong with it?
I don't feel like typing stuff out again, but here are some posts that might shed some light for you:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18255032&postcount=61
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18274007&postcount=74

duckroll's impressions really reflect a lot of my sentiments as well:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18378584&postcount=136
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18411701&postcount=156

Ultimately, I found the game's positive points were largely outweighed by a few boneheaded design decisions working in tandem to devastating effect.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Ultimately, I found the game's positive points were largely outweighed by a few boneheaded design decisions working in tandem to devastating effect.
I haven't hit those yet, but I probably will later on.

duckroll

You know Segata, I dislike this game probably as much as you do, mostly because I was so disappointed with the gameplay and it seems like a waste because the art direction is SO GOOD. But I do think that to be fair, we should let people who are interested in the English version play it themselves and make up their own mind. That's one of the reasons I've stayed away from the 4WoL threads for a while now. If people are interested enough in the game to try it out, I think they should be free to without being hit over the head about how bad the game is from those who have played it.

When all of those interested have experienced the game for themselves, it'll be a more equal playing field to discuss what the game did right and what it did wrong. Otherwise, it'll remain largely a one-sided argument. Just as it is silly for those who have not played the game to attempt to defend it and dismiss criticisms, it is equally silly to attempt to tell people who have not played the game or are early in the game, that they will eventually not like it or find problems with it.

That's basically my take on the issue.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Segata Sanshiro said:
I don't feel like typing stuff out again, but here are some posts that might shed some light for you:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18255032&postcount=61
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18274007&postcount=74

duckroll's impressions really reflect a lot of my sentiments as well:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18378584&postcount=136
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18411701&postcount=156

I read those impressions when they were posted and they were a huge reason why any anticipation for this was immediately deflated. Pretty sure I won't even stifle a small cry if I never play this.

When I'm playing games like Monster Hunter: Freedom Unite. Monster Hunter Tri and Etrian Odyssey 3, have games like Professor Layton & The Unwound Future and Castlevania: Lords of Shadows sitting on my shelf waiting to be played and games like God of War: Ghost of Sparta, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn and Ys: The Oath in Fleghana coming out soon it's really hard to justify buying 4 Heroes of Light. Even if it's only thirty some odd dollars. Entrancing art style and music be-damned, this flawed game is just going to sit on my shelf, in my backlog, un-played for months, so why buy it?

duckroll said:
You know Segata, I dislike this game probably as much as you do, mostly because I was so disappointed with the gameplay and it seems like a waste because the art direction is SO GOOD. But I do think that to be fair, we should let people who are interested in the English version play it themselves and make up their own mind. That's one of the reasons I've stayed away from the 4WoL threads for a while now. If people are interested enough in the game to try it out, I think they should be free to without being hit over the head about how bad the game is from those who have played it.

When all of those interested have experienced the game for themselves, it'll be a more equal playing field to discuss what the game did right and what it did wrong. Otherwise, it'll remain largely a one-sided argument. Just as it is silly for those who have not played the game to attempt to defend it and dismiss criticisms, it is equally silly to attempt to tell people who have not played the game or are early in the game, that they will eventually not like it or find problems with it.

That's basically my take on the issue.
Well, someone asked which would be better between this and DQ9, so I felt it was fair to answer.

duckroll

Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, someone asked which would be better between this and DQ9, so I felt it was fair to answer.

I would kill to have a game which played like DQIX but looked like 4WoL. :(

I'm really loving it.

I don't want to say, "I don't understand the criticism" because that would be unfair because I do understand. But I'm going to resound 1up's review and say that it's still one of the better DS games I've played, warts and all.

Top Bottom