• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy The 4 Heroes of Light |OT| - GAF Members limited to only 15 posts!

duckroll said:
I would kill to have a game which played like DQIX but looked like 4WoL. :(
I would kill to have a game that looked like 4WoL and played *almost* like 4WoL. It's the "God you were soooo close"-ness that bugs me more than anything.

Aeana

TheChillyAcademic said:
The sad truth of the matter is that 4WOL is a very pretty game and fun for about 20 minutes or so...a rainbow still looks pretty when it bleeds neh?

I just wanted to get Aeana riled up :D
Probably would have worked better if I thought DQ9 was flawless or something, which I really don't. Its problems place it in my mid-tier of DQ games.

BooJoh said:
So the impression I'm getting here is that the people who came here to talk us out of 4WoL would also probably not recommend DQIX, which is possibly the best game I've played this year.

Where are you getting that? DQ9 is one of Segata's favorite DQs, and I like it a lot, it's just not one of my favorites.

BooJoh

Aeana said:
Where are you getting that? DQ9 is one of Segata's favorite DQs, and I like it a lot, it's just not one of my favorites.
My bad, looking back over the topic I was getting a bit mixed up on who was saying what. A couple of other people were saying DQIX wasn't good.

BooJoh said:
So the impression I'm getting here is that the people who came here to talk us out of 4WoL would also probably not recommend DQIX, which is possibly the best game I've played this year.

Very convincing.
I'm not sure how you got that at all. I think DQ9 is great. Probably my favourite RPG of this generation, actually.

BooJoh

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm not sure how you got that at all. I think DQ9 is great. Probably my favourite RPG of this generation, actually.
I was getting some of your posts mixed up with Chilly. Apologies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
What happens if I make 16 posts?

Also, I canceled my fully paid preorder for this and moved the credit to Golden Sun after a bunch of people telling me the game wasn't that good :/

Segata Sanshiro said:

None of these sound like game flaws.

They all seem like petty complaints. I mean, for instance, if you have such a limited inventory while carry around 6 different spells when you'll only need 1 or 2 in the area?

PataHikari said:

They all seem like petty complaints. I mean, for instance, if you have such a limited inventory while carry around 6 different spells when you'll only need 1 or 2 in the area?
Oh shit, you're right! This game is awesome!

jeremy1456

TheChillyAcademic said:
Eh, DQ IX has its own fantastic share of problems, for the record.

DQIX has flaws, but none are substantial. It's still one of the best RPGs this gen, but even that is not saying much.

ccbfan

PataHikari said:

How would you know you only need 1 or 2 spells in the area without going through the area first? Isn't that the main complaint.

This game basically force you to go through the dungeons twice. Once to scout and properly know how to set up your inventory and the 2nd to actually finish the dungeon.

Just curious do you happen to like Yggdra Union a lot? Cause this game kinda remind me of that game. You had to play almost every mission twice to complete it fully. One to see all the bullshit changes in mission objective thats impossible to complete if you didn't prepare for them from the very beginning of the mission. And the other to finish the mission.

Crazetex

I would not mind it if every game looked like this game. To be honest, it took me a few minutes to get used to how abstract some stuff can seem, but now it's A+.

I'm traveling back to Horne after the second boss now.

Things I like:
-Art, duh; the atmosphere is pretty great
-The characters are pretty adorable and likable so far
-Dying is unbelievably cute
-I don't think any Gems drop on the first part of the world map or the cave, so dying has no real consequences
-Battles are really fast-paced, even the bosses
-It's generally fun
-There's a lot to explore and find in just the first town
-The music, especially the day/night shifts, is terrific
-The classes in the manual all sound really hella good (I'd say that it's balanced if everything is over-powered)

Things I dislike:
-I'm not really sure how I'm activating the items you find strewn around town; am I just running into them?
-Torches seem to be rather long-lasting, which is good for the sake of the item limit but loses the sense of immediacy I feel like they should present
-I wasn't able to play it all day yesterday :<

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
*grumbles* the gameplay issues mentioned in the Japanese thread turned me off big time from this one but now that it's released in English I sort of want. Sigh, damn you great style.

Crazetex

I cannot comprehend how god-damn adorable this game is. It manages to overload my cuteness meter without being annoying in the slightest.

Played a good few hours last night. At first I was intimidated with the limited inventory and it is a hassle to manage it.

But so far, it's not that bad. It really just takes some trial and error to beat bosses. If you take your time and speak to every villager and find clues on what you're supposed to do, it's really pretty simple and straight-forward.

Some patience is required!

You do have to go in and out of dungeons frequently, but I don't see that as a bad thing if you spend that time leveling up. I kind of like how the game doesn't hold your hand. It's refreshing and challenging.

And I know this may sound sacrilege to JRPG players, but I'm liking this more than DQIX. I do admit DQIX is the better game, no question about it. And if anyone asks me what they should get, I'd recommend DQIX by far! But the lack of story and NPCs kind of disappointed me with DQIX. FF4 Heroes of Light has NPCs and characters so that's why I'm enjoying it more. And so far, I think the story is a little bit better. It's definitely a lot darker in tone.

But only because of that...and the art style.

Skilletor

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Played a good few hours last night. At first I was intimidated with the limited inventory and it is a hassle to manage it.

But so far, it's not that bad. It really just takes some trial and error to beat bosses. If you take your time and speak to every villager and find clues on what you're supposed to do, it's really pretty simple and straight-forward.

Some patience is required!

This sounds tedious and time consuming.

The art style is appealing...dammit. I know I'll never finish it, and I know it probably won't drop in price. Sigh.

Skilletor said:
This sounds tedious and time consuming.

The art style is appealing...dammit. I know I'll never finish it, and I know it probably won't drop in price. Sigh.

I personally like this way of playing. It feels like a adventure/puzzle game. Once you gather clues and figure things out, it's pretty satisfying.

Crazetex

Incredibly satisfying. The bosses so far (I'm exploring everything except the pirate cave and its "please buy more Defense" boss) really require you to know what to do to destroy them. Sand Devil? "What I don't have any Water tomes what are you - oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh."

I don't mind dying in this game. Even death is adorable.

One thing that's weird is that it's not Fire/Thunder/Blizzard, it's Fire/Water/Aero/Quake. I'm not used to that yet, but the Hydraxe I just found for not-Black Mage Jusqua is helping to alleviate that displeasure. =D

You know what they say about a fool and his money, despite having too many rpgs on the go I picked up 4 Heroes of Light. So far I'm enjoying it. I've only been playing the game for a short while and am just exploring the first dungeon so there hasn't really been an opportunity for the inventory or auto-targeting issues to really arise. Although by merely poking around Horne I walked out of town for the first time with just one open inventory slot. I love the whole modern/retro vibe to 4 Heroes of Light; the super-deformed characters, the fact that there's an over-world to explore, the modern arrangements that still echoes the chip tune music of much older rpgs, having every interaction with NPCs reveal useful information, be it hints about the battle system or where to go to progress the game. Then you marry all this to the presentation, the cel-shading is gorgeous and I love the rotating storybook presentation to the world. It's all very lovely window dressing.

So far I'm enjoying the battle system, it's simple but it's pretty fast. I haven't had to deal with to deal complex enemy parties, it's just one or two foes at a time which are easily targeted, with physical or magical attacks. What remains to be seen is when, or if, I'll hit the wall that so many have with 4 Heroes of Light. With the inventory limitation, the logic of the auto-targeting system, party members suddenly up and vanishing with all of their gear or rolling through a dungeon only to hit the boss and find out my current skill set isn't up to the task and you have to exit the dungeon to re-spec your party, re-tread the whole dungeon JUST to deal with the boss.

joelseph

jaundicejuice said:
So far I'm enjoying the battle system, it's simple but it's pretty fast. I haven't had to deal with to deal complex enemy parties, it's just one or two foes at a time which are easily targeted, with physical or magical attacks. What remains to be seen is when, or if, I'll hit the wall that so many have with 4 Heroes of Light. With the inventory limitation, the logic of the auto-targeting system, party members suddenly up and vanishing with all of their gear or rolling through a dungeon only to hit the boss and find out my current skill set isn't up to the task and you have to exit the dungeon to re-spec your party, re-tread the whole dungeon JUST to deal with the boss.

The gaf is strong in this one.

The battle system is sort of similar to Riviera's in that what weapons you have equipped and what abilities you choose to use determine which enemies you target in battle. Front, row, back row, airborne enemies, etc. If you talk to npc's this is somewhat explained but you more or less discover what spells and weapons target which types of enemies as you play. Reached what I assume is the end of the first dungeon and was about to battle my first major boss before I had to stop playing because my train reached its destination and I had to go to work.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Crazetex said:
One thing that's weird is that it's not Fire/Thunder/Blizzard, it's Fire/Water/Aero/Quake. I'm not used to that yet, but the Hydraxe I just found for not-Black Mage Jusqua is helping to alleviate that displeasure. =D
There's also Light/Dark. It's probably best to ignore the Final Fantasy naming conventions altogether and think of it in terms of Chrono Cross' element system. Both games have the same triad of opposing pairs: Fire vs. Water, Air vs. Earth, Light vs. Dark. (You do get Blizzard later, but it's actually a less effective skill than Water for certain secondary reasons.)

Another thing that's more similar to Chrono Cross than Final Fantasy: elements not only matter, they continue to matter all the way to the end of the game.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Just grabbed it from the local brick'n'mortar. 4WoL, here i come.

Aeana

Cool, glad you seem to be getting more out of it than I did.
I'm tempted to give it another shot sometime (I usually give most games two tries), but it'll have to wait a bit.

inner-G

Banned
I have portable RPG euphoria between this and Birth by Sleep right now!

I was worried it would look bad on the XL but it doesn't.

Aeana said:
Cool, glad you seem to be getting more out of it than I did.
I'm tempted to give it another shot sometime (I usually give most games two tries), but it'll have to wait a bit.
It's not just the art style either. I think the characters having some personality and NPCs just give the whole game a lot of life to it. That was my disappointment with DQIX. The game is amazing, but the lack of character personalities and NPCs just made the game feel lifeless.

I played it alone, of course, which is probably why I felt that way. I'm sure DQIX is great with three other friends.

inner-G said:
I have portable RPG euphoria between this and Birth by Sleep right now!

I was worried it would look bad on the XL but it doesn't.
I'd love to play this on the XL. It would look pretty darn amazing I bet!

blu

Just passed the first pseudo-boss before the opening titles.

Wow at this game's art direction! I mean, freakin munchkins, batman!

I've see good looking 3D DS games - The Wizard or Oz is one. I've seen good & consistent art direction ones - GTA:CW is one. But 4WoL just takes the cake and slams it into the chef's face. It's just a masterpiece of finger-licking-good looking, consistent art direction. Kudos to Matrix.

blu said:
Just passed the first pseudo-boss before the opening titles.

Wow at this game's art direction! I mean, freakin munchkins, batman!

I've see good looking 3D DS games - The Wizard or Oz is one. I've seen good & consistent art direction ones - GTA:CW is one. But 4WoL just takes the cake and slams it into the chef's face. It's just a masterpiece of finger-licking-good looking, consistent art direction. Kudos to Matrix.
Agree. I think it's the best looking DS game so far.

But I mean "best-looking" not the "best graphics" which I still think that title goes to Dragon Quest IX or Metroid Prime Hunters.

sfried

Just why are we limited to 15 posts?

Also got this game with Rhythm Heaven. I started a little while but switched back to Shantae.

blu

Apropos, my habitual neglect for any game manuals costed me some fancy-looking sword that came early on as a monster drop in the dark cave to the north. I did not know at that time that battle spoils had to be manually distributed, so I went on with [done] at the end-battle screen. Bye bye fancy-looking, probably magical, but surely strong-hitting blade, i hardly knew ya :lol

Tiktaalik

I'm still really interested in trying this one out.

I don't know, I figure I've played tons of rigidly peculiar JRPGs. This shouldn't that big of a deal. It sounds interesting actually.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I will fish this game out of the bargain bin in 1.5 years, I'll pay $15 and get buyers remorse about it later in the day. I'll play it for 45 minutes, get bored quickly, put it on the shelf and think "at least its ok to have for the collection" :(

inner-G

Banned
BocoDragon said:
I will fish this game out of the bargain bin in 1.5 years, I'll pay $15 and get buyers remorse about it later in the day. I'll play it for 45 minutes, get bored quickly, put it on the shelf and think "at least its ok to have for the collection" :(
Wow. Good to see you giving it a fair shake :lol

BocoDragon said:
Don't know if you'll be able to find this in a bargain bin. The only place I've seen this game is Gamestop. Toys R Us, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Target...don't have 'em.

I think it'll be one of those type of releases where it'll be hard to find later on and expensive to purchase because of the rarity.

Just my hunch.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
inner-G said:
Wow. Good to see you giving it a fair shake :lol
Hey it's just my usual experience with the FF spinoffs. I would love to be proven wrong. :D I'm not buying it now, though.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Don't know if you'll be able to find this in a bargain bin. The only place I've seen this game is Gamestop. Toys R Us, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Target...don't have 'em.

I think it'll be one of those type of releases where it'll be hard to find later on and expensive to purchase because of the rarity.

Just my hunch.
Oh shit. Buy buy buy!!

Top Bottom