• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy The 4 Heroes of Light |OT| - GAF Members limited to only 15 posts!

inner-G

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
I'm actually finding this spin-off to be more compelling than most of the mainline entries that have come out in the last few years.

Anyone that copped XII or XIII at MSRP should have no qualms dropping $35 on this.

one day i will own this, but not until after P3P (i'm on the 4th floor), EO3 (untouched), and Ys 7 (haven't even bought it yet).

There's such a saturation of RPGs lately_ not that I'm complaining_ that I'll likely have to put them on hiatus before I get around to this.

Teknoman

BocoDragon said:
Hey it's just my usual experience with the FF spinoffs. I would love to be proven wrong. :D I'm not buying it now, though.

Oh shit. Buy buy buy!!

Damn it. I just bought Etrian Odyssey 3.

Crazetex

I love how powerful each individual class is. I'm only up to Bandit/Poet, but man, each has a definite and terrific use. The fact that there is absolutely no penalty to switching classes is eve n better.

AP cost aside, red mage-esque Bards with the Flaming Harp from Uberith are <3333.

Re: personality, yesss. The characters aren't emo Cloud, they're actually fun and likable. Well, except maybe Jusqua. I'm relegating him to strict support duty for being a snot.

"Would you like a fish? What, no! Of course it's not grilled!"

Played this game for about an hour and some change, got up to the late title card. Even if this game has some annoyances, the music and art style along with the job system are more than enough to keep me going.
And is it just me, or does anyone else feel that the FF spin offs capture more of what makes Final Fantasy Final Fantasy than the mainline these days?

Amneisac

Teknoman said:
Damn it. I just bought Etrian Odyssey 3.

I just bought this and Etrian Odyssey 3! Follow in my brave footsteps. Oh and I also bought Chrono Trigger DS because it's becoming hard to find.

Pinko Marx said:
And is it just me, or does anyone else feel that the FF spin offs capture more of what makes Final Fantasy Final Fantasy than the mainline these days?
In some ways, yeah. And 4HoL doesn't even have chocobos.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
In some ways, yeah. And 4HoL doesn't even have chocobos.
Hah. That's so true.

I think this line of thought deserves its own thread: 'Does a chocobo a FF make?', followed by 'Does a chocobo a good FF make?', and 'How many chocobos do a good FF make?'.

/Yoda

4 Heroes of Light has a more traditional swords and sorcery setting like the older 8/16bit entries in the series and it also has super-deformed character models that echo the sprites of old. 4HoL feeling more like an older Final Fantasy also has to do with the fact that Tetsuya Nomura had nothing to do with designing the characters for this game. I'm not knocking him as a character designer, I just find that his work--with its leanings towards Japanese street fashion--is more suited to games like Kingdom Hearts or The World Ends With You than Final Fantasy.

Crazetex

It was totally perfect in TWEWY, indeed.

As for 4HoL: I was sad when
the fairy died to save Aire

EDIT: Can anybody confirm that Spears hit more than Swords, which are more accurate than Axes?

EDIT2: Is it bad that I'm labeling a Fire Tome as a "Hot Deal!" in my shop?

Thanks for the impressions jaundicejuice. I was really interested in this title and still am, but it being $40 in Canada and having plenty to play means I can wait for a price drop. Looking forward to playing it eventually.

Sinople

There were as many positive impressions than negative ones in the import thread if I remember correctly.
I thought it was an even more enjoyable experience than DQIX, and I liked the latter a lot too.
I'd be glad to see people who were interested give it a chance.

sundrenched

Neo Member
Game is really interesting so far, I caved and bought one yesterday and I've been playing since then.

Initially the interface and the world irritated me quite a little but it got much better when you get your second party member.

One thing I really like about this game is the
split narratives as it really makes the world feel alive and not just dependent on your party but it does mean never give anything good to your non main party playable characters. Btw what's the story behind Krinjh? I defeated the sand monster and suddenly a girl pops out, Krinjh is dead and the king is dead??currently tracking through to get to invidia, the monsters on the snowy plains are such a bitch

eXistor

I've only played about 20 minutes last night (was waiting for Lords of Shadow to install on my 360) and I have to say, I think this could be a very very pleasant surprise for me. The music and presentation is so wonderfully oldskool. I love the environments and it seems to be quite difficult as well. No insipid storyline to bog things down (fuck you Ys Seven), just a good 'ol traditional rpg that kows its roots.

But then I did only play 20 minutes. I wasn't even gonna play it this year (Ys 3, Layton 3 and Last Window were higher on my list) but now I'd have to reconsider.

Incitemaybe said:
I was under the impression this was a multiplayer game. Any word on how multiplayer works or doesn't in this game?

It seems you can access the local wifi multiplayer the moment you start playing the game. In each town, well in the two I've been in thus far, there's a house with a wifi symbol on it that you go to in order to initiate the multiplayer and trading. I haven't had an opportunity to try either out yet but a friend recently picked the game up and will likely put some time in soon.

On the Job System/Crowns: What's nice is that when you level up a Crown/Job, you don't have to do it for every person individually. You level up Crowns using jewels that you receive as random drops from monsters after battles. To raise a Crown's level and learn a new ability for that Job you just have to have the right shapes and number of jewels. For example the first enhancement for the Wayfarer Crown required 5 round and 5 square jewels. That netted me an escape ability with a higher probability of working.

lordoftherink said:
Thanks for the impressions jaundicejuice. I was really interested in this title and still am, but it being $40 in Canada and having plenty to play means I can wait for a price drop. Looking forward to playing it eventually.

I think 4 Heroes of Light is definitely worth checking out, once you find it at whatever you deem an acceptable price. I didn't quite know what to expect based off of the mixed impressions but I find myself juggling Freedom Unite, Etrian Odyssey 3 and this. It's been a pleasant surprise.

jaundicejuice said:
I think 4 Heroes of Light is definitely worth checking out, once you find it at whatever you deem an acceptable price. I didn't quite know what to expect based off of the mixed impressions but I find myself juggling Freedom Unite, Etrian Odyssey 3 and this. It's been a pleasant surprise.
I actually just checked and it's just EB/GS charging $40 for it. It's five dollars less elsewhere.........................fuck it I'm getting this.

7Th

This is by far the best looking 3D DS game so far. The art direction is amazing, probably S-E's absolute best.

Crazetex

jaundicejuice said:
What's nice is that when you level up a Crown/Job, you don't have to do it for every person individually.

Untrue. Crown levels apply to each individual person.

Everything else you said was right, though.

I still pose my question to the more numbers-oriented folks: is there a difference in accuracy (or anything else) between swords/spears/axes? Is there any reason not to use an axe? It feels like they miss fairly often, but I can't say for sure.

Also, harps seem really overpowered compared to knives and staffs and shuriken. Maybe I just haven't found any good not-harps yet.

Crazetex said:
Also, harps seem really overpowered compared to knives and staffs and shuriken. Maybe I just haven't found any good not-harps yet.

I'm not too far but what makes them overpowered? The first harp only gives +2 to attack and magic attack, while one of the knives I've seen gives +3 to attack and magic atttack.

Crazetex

You can sequence-break to Uberth (Uberith?) and get a +7/7 Harp, better than any other weapon there except for a +8 Hydraxe hidden in town, which still doesn't have MAtk.

So, even if you go to Uber(i)th at the right time, it's the best weapon. It's still the best weapon after you get to Arbor.

AND, if you're a Poet, they add +1 (or possibly +10%; unsure) to STR/INT/SPT.

Crazetex said:
You can sequence-break to Uberth (Uberith?) and get a +7/7 Harp, better than any other weapon there except for a +8 Hydraxe hidden in town, which still doesn't have MAtk.

So, even if you go to Uber(i)th at the right time, it's the best weapon. It's still the best weapon after you get to Arbor.

AND, if you're a Poet, they add +1 (or possibly +10%; unsure) to STR/INT/SPT.

Well of course if you sequence break you're gunna get a weapon better than the ones you currently have.

I am a few hours into it, (just reached the desert town) and I am impressed. Aesthetically it is overflowing with charm and style. The soundtrack is really nice chiptune sounding stuff. Especially the haunting melody that plays when you return to the first town after the credits roll. I like how the battle music changes depending on how well or badly you are doing. Reminds me of Skies of Arcadia and Phantasy Star 3.

The gameplay in the battles so far has felt interesting, and a little different than I am used to. Obviously this early in the game I haven't really had too many options where strategies are concerned, but I am interested in seeing how it evolves. I only have one crown so I can't really comment on what I think of it. But seeing the massive list of crowns blacked out I am pretty anxious to unlock them all. Also the method of powering up the crowns feels really fun. Much more hands-on than just selecting "level up" on some text menu.

Overall I am impressed. To me this doesn't feel like a spin-off, but more like an all new Final Fantasy game done in the same vein as FF 1-V.

Crazetex

Pinko Marx said:
Well of course if you sequence break you're gunna get a weapon better than the ones you currently have.

The point was that it's still the best weapon in the next town you visit.

jaundicejuice said:
Really? You mean I enhanced a crown and don't even remember doing so?

I hear that ginko biloba helps with memory loss.

Forgot where I'm spose to be going.
The princess lady just got turned into a cat and I'm supposed to be heading to a town called Arbor. Which way is that?

Crazetex

Pinko Marx said:
Forgot where I'm spose to be going.
The princess lady just got turned into a cat and I'm supposed to be heading to a town called Arbor. Which way is that?

Have you fought the bear? If not, follow the NPCs' directions to the western patch of forest. It's right up against the mountains to the southwest. If you have done that, go to the fairy cave north of Guera.

Ruzai

Okay, I was having a lot of fun with this right up until Jasqua's solo adventures in the Urbeth. On the way there, I wasn't crazy about having to run from pretty much any fight that wasn't a single hellhound, but figured that the town would have equipment to help bolster survivability. It does. It's also a nexus of utter bullshit.

Save in town, spend time finding the hidden items, messing with the upgrade shop, setting up my own shop, then hit the next plot trigger. Town's under attack and in quick succession I realize the save fox is nowhere to be found, the battles are difficult enough that scouting with Wayfarer would have been a good idea, because without it, you can't escape, and finally the villagers are lying cocksuckers. Seriously. Everyone in the town beats it into you that water weapons + fire defense is the preferred equipment for what's coming up. That helps with one out of four fights. The others either spam darkness, or status. Darkness repellent gear mans I get to survive three hits instead of two, and I have nothing for the status, so death is just an inevitability.

The sad part is, I'm positive just a second party member would allow for the challenge without the bullshit. Spread the damage out from the dark asshole, and give the option of a second command when confusion is being spammed. Could also split the difference between escape and something combat oriented. What's maddening is another party member is right there, standing in the town square, and Jasqua decides to be a twat and whine about her whining instead of asking her to help him not get murdered in the face for the next five minutes. Instead he's perfectly fine with halving his hoard of gems over and over again.

When I'm less irritated, I'll still be going back, rethinking, and figuring out a better way to take the mobs on, but damn. Who still thinks single character parties are at all fun? They're either boring, pathetically easy, or easily abused by shit that makes the game cheap instead of challenging.

Portugeezer

Barely started it, already dreading the long walk to the castle... I bet some shit will go down or something because of it.

Crazetex

Ruzai: I think you have to beat a single fight, then talk to Yunita. Jusqua will have his tail between his legs (well, surprisingly not literally, since, uh, you know...) and ask for help. No promises, though.

I suggest loading and buying a Darksteel Shield. You have to beat a Demon in front of the weapon shop to make them all go away. For the fight, Yunita was temporarily a Bandit (highest STR/HP available) and Jusqua was a Poet with a +7/7 Harp for maximum spellcasting and healing.

The "buy water weapons" stuff has to do with the side-quests you get from the various merchant lords.

For the record, I pity Yunita. She's practically the boys' punching bag. :<

Ruzai

Crazetex said:
Ruzai: I think you have to beat a single fight, then talk to Yunita. Jusqua will have his tail between his legs (well, surprisingly not literally, since, uh, you know...) and ask for help. No promises, though.

Thanks for the reply. I did manage to defeat one of the mobs without any effect, so maybe it's specifically the fight with the succubus, or maybe clearing all of them that aren't the demon.

I suggest loading and buying a Darksteel Shield. You have to beat a Demon in front of the weapon shop to make them all go away. For the fight, Yunita was temporarily a Bandit (highest STR/HP available) and Jusqua was a Poet with a +7/7 Harp for maximum spellcasting and healing.

Yeah, I did get myself a Darksteel Shield, and it helped, just not enough. Convincing Yunita to join should add the extra bit I need to survive that.

For the record, I pity Yunita. She's practically the boys' punching bag. :<

I couldn't believe Brandt swapped her out for a cat in the middle of the night. I'd love if we got a little more of the cast's interior thoughts because I have a feeling they're all maybe just a little special.

sundrenched

Neo Member
Ruzai I just kept talking to her until Jusqua went "Stop whining and come with me!" so I guess there are multiple ways to get her to join you.

I love how the characters interact with each other, Brandt is usually my MC but when I switch him out with another character he just seems so dumb like how dogs are cooler than chickens :)

I'm in the yunita solo section now and it's a tad difficult so far.

sundrenched

Neo Member
You need the very first job that you get, the cowboy hat one. First ability is running away, second one is a better chance of running away.

blu

Just passed the first actual boss in the game (not counting the witch before the opening credits), and the game has been the most fun JRPG I've played in ages. Highlights:

Contrary to what people normally think of the characters' sudden departures, I find those quite a refreshing change in the game mechanics. It's somewhat of a little betting game in its own, though it's not hard to tell who are the long-term characters and who are the episodic ones. Long-term characters still can leave unexpectedly, but timelines interleaving between the split parties, in combination with the global warehouse still provides for some means for inventory exchange, if there's urge.

The game is really open to sequence breaking, or at least feels non-linear. My first raid at the moon tower (or whatever its name was) in the desert was with my crew of two, and I made it to the middle floors, where I gave up, realizing the place needed more firepower. Some roaming in the desert provided the needed reinforcements. But I still could not find a water tome so openly advertised for the darn boss fight. So I took that boss entirely on the reinforcements' sole Air magic offense, and a lot of perseverance. Of course, the first thing that my other 'stray' party bought in Liberte was a water tome, diligently stashed in the warehouse, for when the other timeline resumes.

Paying attention to the weapons/monsters alignments is really key for smooth battles. The many different types of weapons, the weapon alignments, the magic alignments, and the weapon enhancement system (have not used any yet, but really anticipating it) provide for a very varied battle system, where you have to pay attention whether you're not trying to use a square peg in a round hole. That's another plus in my book.

Speaking of battle system, I have not had any issue with the base mechanics. Somehow I've been coping instinctively with the inability to individually target enemies, or likelwise target allies for supportive actions. We'll see how far into game that will stay that way.

My most dreaded part in most JRPG's - the ultra bloated towns, is actually a non-issue. Liberte, the biggest town yet, has been quite streamlined so far. And no, I did not bother with finding the entire darn set of hidden items in any of the towns so far, so that helped me there.

Overall, the game mechanics have been sheer joy so far.

Ruzai

blu said:
But I still could not find a water tome so openly advertised for the darn boss fight. So I took that boss entirely on the reinforcements' sole Air magic offense, and a lot of perseverance.

Not that it does you a lot of good now, but when you have difficulty finding something, remember that town residents behave differently depending on the time of day.

blu

Ruzai said:
Not that it does you a lot of good now, but when you have difficulty finding something, remember that town residents behave differently depending on the time of day.
Darn, I knew I was missing a detail in the artifact hunting tactics. Thanks, the tome might be a past concern, but the tip is actual ; )

Just going through Golden Sun for the first time, but this is definitely on my radar later on in the track. The visuals alone are gorgeous and apparently the soundtrack is even better.

Crazetex

_Alkaline_ said:
Just going through Golden Sun for the first time, but this is definitely on my radar later on in the track. The visuals alone are gorgeous and apparently the soundtrack is even better.

http://www.youtube.com/user/asukacrystalrose#g/c/7C6AE9F77AFA69E1

Regarding day/night: as you travel to later towns, or revisit old towns, the day/night cycle is really important. It changes how/where the magic shop is in a few different cities, among other things. (You can be a silly and miss out on a change to buy, say, Firaga.)

faridmon

Sinople said:
There were as many positive impressions than negative ones in the import thread if I remember correctly.
I thought it was an even more enjoyable experience than DQIX, and I liked the latter a lot too.
I'd be glad to see people who were interested give it a chance.
I keep saying it again and again:
No offense to JGaf and I alway enjoy reading your impressions, But for every game they were down on, I have enjoyed it immensely and every game they hyped it to the max, I found it very awful (excluding Dissidia)

So that is my rule of thumb.

Top Bottom