• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD |OT| War Never Changes

AMAZING GAME!!!

Just finished and yeah.....
WTF
!

I have a few questions:

1. Does the new game plus have extended story sequences which will explain some stuff more?

2. At the final trial I failed...as I think I killed enemies instead of dodging (when you go up the staircase). This made me crippled in the last portion of the game....will redoing that have changed the ending?

3. The history bit had 2 videos unlocked that weren't seen during my run through. One was the sneak peak at FF Type-1 . The other was 'Chapter of Truth' ...which alludes to a spiral..alternate reality or just that the same cycle had been carried out before. Is this all the game will do in order to help me understand the final bit more?

4. Not a question but HATE HOW MACHINA IS SOME HERO IN THE END ... he was the worst characterrr!

1. NG+ mainly helps you understand stuff better since you now you'll know what's happening. But it also adds a bit of story, yeah. It's nothing too complicated.
2. No, that's intended.

3. Yes and no, they give you a tiny bit more on NG+. But either way, if you're really struggling to understand something you can ask here. The story is not actually that complex, it's just FFI with l'Cie attached to it.

4. He's a shit.

Cloudy

Banned
So what's the best way to grind? I just abandoned a main mission cus the boss was too hard and I only had like three characters levelled. I'm in Chapter 2 btw. I feel like there's so many systems (promotions, Crystarium(?) etc) that I just don't understand.

Secret training (I think it opens up in chapter 2 or 3). It basically levels up a character by 3 or 4 if you do it for 12 hours or so. I just assign the lowest level character as the leader before I end my session and come back the next time

PS: For those who know, was this available in the psp version?

Secret training (I think it opens up in chapter 2 or 3). It basically levels up a character by 3 or 4 if you do it for 12 hours or so. I just assign the lowest level character as the leader before I end my session and come back the next time

PS: For those who know, was this available in the psp version?

Yes. It was a mode to level up your characters while you put your PSP to sleep.

It was not exploitable though (for obvious reasons).

It's also not exploitable on the emulator. At least not as far as I know...

1. NG+ mainly helps you understand stuff better since you now you'll know what's happening. But it also adds a bit of story, yeah. It's nothing too complicated.
2. No, that's intended.

3. Yes and no, they give you a tiny bit more on NG+. But either way, if you're really struggling to understand something you can ask here. The story is not actually that complex, it's just FFI with l'Cie attached to it.

4. He's a shit.

I guess my main confusion arises from
what Dr Arecia's true motives are? Who is she really etc. From just seeing the videos and story presented to me I know she's making the world go in a cycle...but why..what's her aim.

And then why does she finally put an end to the cycle this time round. Just because of Rem & Machina?

haikira

I've heard this requires more than one run through for the true ending. I'm on my first, and I've never played the game before (really enjoying it). Do I need to be made aware of potentially missing anything on my first run to ensure I get the true ending on my second, or can I just go through blind on the first run and then read the specifics before playing through a second time?

I've heard this requires more than one run through for the true ending. I'm on my first, and I've never played the game before (really enjoying it). Do I need to be made aware of potentially missing anything on my first run to ensure I get the true ending on my second, or can I just go through blind on the first run and then read the specifics before playing through a second time?

You can go completely blind on your first run, yes. You can't miss stuff on your first playthrough that affects your second playthrough.

I guess my main confusion arises from
what Dr Arecia's true motives are? Who is she really etc. From just seeing the videos and story presented to me I know she's making the world go in a cycle...but why..what's her aim.

And then why does she finally put an end to the cycle this time round. Just because of Rem & Machina?
I can give you two explanations here: one is the basic stuff that is the only thing that actually matters.

The other is how everything fits into the Fabula Nova Crystallis (if you care about that stuff).

Basic stuff:

Arecia is the one who created the crystals and Class Zero (she's basically a l'Cie who's above everyone else), her goal was to find a thing that gives you a lot of power (never named on the game, but in the FNC that is the Etro's Gate) and for that, she was using Class Zero.
The Arbiter (last boss) is basically the same thing, but his way of trying to find the gate was to kill the whole world as a sacrifice, and if that didn't work, he would "reset" the world, and start all over.

All of that stopped not because of Arecia though, but because Class Zero defeated the Arbiter, so Arecia took away the crystals from the world and left it in peace. Probably giving up on her search.

And Rem & Machina didn't have much to do with that =P, they just helped Class Zero defeat the Arbiter (by giving them power).

Now, if you want to know all the cray-cray stuff, here's the explanation (aka filtering the wikia. Tip: don't read if you don't know/care about the FNC):

Arecia is basically the one who created the crystals and Class Zero. In the FNC she's a servant of Pulse (the god, not the place from FFXIII), and their intentions are to find Etro's Gate.
The Arbiter is pretty much the same thing, but he's a servant of Lindzei.

Basically Arecia's plan was to sacrifice a few very strong souls to help find the gate (therefore not having to kill the entire planet in the process), and the Arbiter's plan was to sacrifice everyone and find the gate that way.

In the specific cycle that Type-0 happens, Class Zero makes a different decision than they normally do (in the past cycles they'd turn into l'Cie's and fight against the Lulusath guys until they died, but here they decide to continue as humans). When Arecia saw that, she decided to basically give them a little help by reviving Machina/Rem.

They defeated the Arbiter and Arecia decided to leave and took away the crystals and the other stuff (like not being able to remember the dead).

You can go completely blind on your first run, yes. You can't miss stuff on your first playthrough that affects your second playthrough.

I can give you two explanations here: one is the basic stuff that is the only thing that actually matters.

The other is how everything fits into the Fabula Nova Crystallis (if you care about that stuff).

Basic stuff:

Arecia is the one who created the crystals and Class Zero (she's basically a l'Cie who's above everyone else), her goal was to find a thing that gives you a lot of power (never named on the game, but in the FNC that is the Etro's Gate) and for that, she was using Class Zero.
The Arbiter (last boss) is basically the same thing, but his way of trying to find the gate was to kill the whole world as a sacrifice, and if that didn't work, he would "reset" the world, and start all over.

All of that stopped not because of Arecia though, but because Class Zero defeated the Arbiter, so Arecia took away the crystals from the world and left it in peace. Probably giving up on her search.

And Rem & Machina didn't have much to do with that =P, they just helped Class Zero defeat the Arbiter (by giving them power).

Now, if you want to know all the cray-cray stuff, here's the explanation (aka filtering the wikia. Tip: don't read if you don't know/care about the FNC):

Arecia is basically the one who created the crystals and Class Zero. In the FNC she's a servant of Pulse (the god, not the place from FFXIII), and their intentions are to find Etro's Gate.
The Arbiter is pretty much the same thing, but he's a servant of Lindzei.

Basically Arecia's plan was to sacrifice a few very strong souls to help find the gate (therefore not having to kill the entire planet in the process), and the Arbiter's plan was to sacrifice everyone and find the gate that way.

In the specific cycle that Type-0 happens, Class Zero makes a different decision than they normally do (in the past cycles they'd turn into l'Cie's and fight against the Lulusath guys until they died, but here they decide to continue as humans). When Arecia saw that, she decided to basically give them a little help by reviving Machina/Rem.

They defeated the Arbiter and Arecia decided to leave and took away the crystals and the other stuff (like not being able to remember the dead).

Wow...the whole thing makes complete sense now.

And I'm actually a big fan of FNC & the mythology ;) ...so thanks for the extra bit.

Funny how
finding etro's gate by sacrificing the whole world is pretty much the same as Barthandelus' motivation (FFXIII)...although in FFXIII I guess the fal'cie wanted to find their maker again so it's a bit different. Still it's like an alternative telling of the FNC myth...

Honestly all of that should be in the story in the first play through, I'm not a fan of this disjointed form of storytelling. Both XIII and Type-0 skimp on the FNC myth in their storytelling. They focus too much on l'cie...and not enough on the divine aspect. Or at least don't make the divine aspects clear in their stories in the games cut scenes (ignoring datalog/annals of orience text)

Wow...the whole thing makes complete sense now.

And I'm actually a big fan of FNC & the mythology ;) ...so thanks for the extra bit.

Funny how
finding etro's gate by sacrificing the whole world is pretty much the same as Barthandelus' motivation (FFXIII)...although in FFXIII I guess the fal'cie wanted to find their maker again so it's a bit different. Still it's like an alternative telling of the FNC myth...

Honestly all of that should be in the story in the first play through, I'm not a fan of this disjointed form of storytelling. Both XIII and Type-0 skimp on the FNC myth in their storytelling. They focus too much on l'cie...and not enough on the divine aspect. Or at least don't make the divine aspects clear in their stories in the games cut scenes (ignoring datalog/annals of orience text)

Yeah, I like the FNC too, but I think people would be willing to give it more of a chance if they didn't hide it all behind little nudges and references.

That being said, the FNC here is actually not so present. The basic stuff that I typed is what they tell you, but to fit it within the FNC you have to do it by knowing the mythology and making the link yourself.

Hopefully XV will do a better job of that, since that is supposed to be the original and "main" story related to the FNC.

JJP12

I need two more Eidolons to get my last trophy, but it looks like I would have to go through the game a second time as it seems like I can't unlock them through mission select. Can anyone confirm or am I doing something wrong?

A bit late here, but I was missing three Eidolons when I finished the game. I unlocked the three others that I needed for the trophy by doing mission select so it is definitely possible.

velcry

Just wanted to chime in that I'm really liking this game so far.

I'm about 10 hours in, and the gameplay clicks with me. I enjoy the different playstyles for the 14 characters, the emphasis on skill, and the production values.

My main regret so far is that this is not on the Vita. From a design standpoint, this game screams for you to take it on the go - a couple of half-hours here and there, just to level up a few characters or something.

Also, while I've never really kept close tabs on who directs which game at Square Enix, it was really clear to me that different teams worked on this and FF13.

So i heard you can get an airship in chapter 7 by beating one of the combat exercises to get a quest. i just got to chapter 7, and the combat exercise guy isnt offering any, hes just talking about going to the beach -_-

There are 2 npc's there though that gave expert missions that i have been doing but im fixing to run out of time. anyone know what i need to be doing?

So i heard you can get an airship in chapter 7 by beating one of the combat exercises to get a quest. i just got to chapter 7, and the combat exercise guy isnt offering any, hes just talking about going to the beach -_-

There are 2 npc's there though that gave expert missions that i have been doing but im fixing to run out of time. anyone know what i need to be doing?

I got the airship by
going into an optional dungeon in the overworld.

Also, while I've never really kept close tabs on who directs which game at Square Enix, it was really clear to me that different teams worked on this and FF13.

Yes =P, despite the games being related somewhat, the team is completely different (Type-0's team is the one currently handling FFXV too).

I think I might be halfway by now?
Just got back to Rubrum after the apparent assassination.

Aside from the camera issues of course, I think I'm enjoying myself and that this is a rather solid game despite its limitations as a PSP handheld title.
Some moments really had me going like
assassination
, I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING.
I was also quite shocked when
the young girl got shot but kind of disappointed that she was alright. In that they pulled us on a twister of a ride by making it seem like they offed her but afterwards threw in a "just kidding".

What I don't get.
Why can my characters seemingly canonically not die? Eidolon summons kill you straight up, that is made clear. You can do them but... be okay after the mission is over.

What I don't get.
Why can my characters seemingly canonically not die? Eidolon summons kill you straight up, that is made clear. You can do them but... be okay after the mission is over.
Well, the explanation *might* be spoilers, but basically
they do die, but Arecia revives them. That's why when you're out on the world map and someone dies, when you go back to a town/academy you hear Arecia's voice after your characters are resurrected.

I tried putting minimal spoilers there, but yeah.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Chapter 7. Sincerely the game is a big mess, from any point of view you wanna analyze it. Anyone even trying to compare this to XIII or XIII-2 and LR doesn't really have much of a clue of what makes a good game and what not. Plus the story... jezuz, it's all broken and random, terrible narration and direction, unnecessary convoluted. What they were thinking? And I also don't like (same case with ARR) how they downthroat fan-service at every corner. In this FFXIII (the first) was more kept under check and felt a proper entry with his lore, characters and world instead of being a mix of everything for the sake of it. There's some good elements in Type-0 but I'm really not enjoying it much. Feels rush, uncomplete and unbalanced.

That said: WOW AT THE OST, god bless Ishimoto this his best work so far. I love it! I insist, he must compose for a main FF in the future. HE MUST!

KupoNut

I'm 5 to 10 levels below the recommended mission level (chapter 5), guess that's not such a good thing? What are some good places to grind, I'm guessing the caves?

I'm 5 to 10 levels below the recommended mission level (chapter 5), guess that's not such a good thing? What are some good places to grind, I'm guessing the caves?
Not sure what's considered best for grindinh, but I leveled up a decent bit by just exploring the overwirld and redoing missions from mission select (mainly to get better scores).

So I finished the first mission in Chapter 2 yesterday. Like Chapter 1 I still feel like I'm stumbling through and just winning battles by spamming attacks with no strategy. Is this related to the difficulty I chose (Cadet) or will it eventually reach a stage where I have to think about what I'm doing?

Seems very hectic and I obviously made the wrong choice in squad deployment because it kept automatically swapping out main characters for random NPCs from my party.

I like the lore and story, but I'm so lost with the battle system. I've bought the guidebook, shall I give that a good rummage? What can you guys recommend?

So I finished the first mission in Chapter 2 yesterday. Like Chapter 1 I still feel like I'm stumbling through and just winning battles by spamming attacks with no strategy. Is this related to the difficulty I chose (Cadet) or will it eventually reach a stage where I have to think about what I'm doing?

Seems very hectic and I obviously made the wrong choice in squad deployment because it kept automatically swapping out main characters for random NPCs from my party.

I like the lore and story, but I'm so lost with the battle system. I've bought the guidebook, shall I give that a good rummage? What can you guys recommend?

The battles, when they present a challenge, require you to perform timed dodges and attacks, so yes there is a strategy to it, but I'm assuming your problem is indeed the difficulty you selected. I never played on cadet, but that's supposed to be the easiest difficulty.

As for the party members being swapped, it's not because you are selecting the wrong ones, it's because you are accepting SP. When it asks you for support at the beginning of a mission, just select 'refuse'.

muteki

I was replaying the Togareth Fortress mission and there was a huge chunk of the map I just completely missed the first time through. Crazy how much you can skip if you fight your way through.

Also, switching from "hold R1" to "press R1" to lock on makes everything feel so much better to me, and harvesting phantoma not so clunky.

I feel the same way, and I'm just a bit ahead of you but it is getting better the more time you spend learning the characters. You get better at macro managing as time goes along.

KeRaSh

So I finished the game not worrying about trophies and now I realized I'm only a few trophies away from getting the platinum... Unfortunately one of those trophies is the one where you have to hatch 100 chocobos. This seems like a lot of effort for a quick second playthrough, though. Where do I even find the Ghysal Greens to do this? Is there a quick way to do this or am I limited to 4-6 babies every 6 hours -> leave the academy, come back and repeat?

Ochibi

Finished my first run last Saturday. This ending... Dammit. I
cried so much after hearing Machina crying

However, there is something I hate :
scripted event

Those judgements were fu**ing annoying, but the last judgement
forced you to die ? You can't even avoid it ? What a mess

So I think I might go to an NG+ on Finis difficulty after training all my characters to level 99 ? Might I understand more about the story and lore ?

Nox Suzaku, Gilgamesh, Gala, Rursus, Tempus Finis, Arecia, Cid, Emina, Kazusa, Kurasame ?

Shahed

So I finished the game not worrying about trophies and now I realized I'm only a few trophies away from getting the platinum... Unfortunately one of those trophies is the one where you have to hatch 100 chocobos. This seems like a lot of effort for a quick second playthrough, though. Where do I even find the Ghysal Greens to do this? Is there a quick way to do this or am I limited to 4-6 babies every 6 hours -> leave the academy, come back and repeat?

If you use certain greens there's a chance you'll get 99 chocobos at once. Curiel and Gyzahl. Curiel you buy from somewhere i forget but Gyzahl has the higher chance of producing more. I got most of them by getting either 200 or 300 kills with a character as a mission reward.

I got that trophy really early on in Chapter 2 first playthrough. Just got lucky

Chapter 7. Sincerely the game is a big mess, from any point of view you wanna analyze it. Anyone even trying to compare this to XIII or XIII-2 and LR doesn't really have much of a clue of what makes a good game and what not. Plus the story... jezuz, it's all broken and random, terrible narration and direction, unnecessary convoluted. What they were thinking? And I also don't like (same case with ARR) how they downthroat fan-service at every corner. In this FFXIII (the first) was more kept under check and felt a proper entry with his lore, characters and world instead of being a mix of everything for the sake of it. There's some good elements in Type-0 but I'm really not enjoying it much. Feels rush, uncomplete and unbalanced.

That said: WOW AT THE OST, god bless Ishimoto this his best work so far. I love it! I insist, he must compose for a main FF in the future. HE MUST!

I agree the cutscene direction is awful.

Toriyama is at least good at directing scenes...FFX was marvelous, and all XIII cutscenes are well directed (content is a separate issue...).

Doesn't give me much confidence in how Tabata will direct XV's cutscenes tbh. Don't think this problem was there in Crisis Core though

Geg

The final time at the end of my first playthrough was 39 hours but I always made sure to go around the academy and talk to as many NPCs and other class 0 members as possible in between missions to see how things change. I'm sure that added up to several hours

Doesn't give me much confidence in how Tabata will direct XV's cutscenes tbh. Don't think this problem was there in Crisis Core though
The weird cutscene direction was clearly a PSP limitation and all the pre-rendered scenes were directed fine. I don't think that'll be a problem in XV

SunGod

Nothing explicitly. Which is why I've said that =P

I feel like Tabata just wanted to do a story about a war and not relate it to the FNC, so that stuff is never really super clear.

Aha! I obviously didn't read that very well.

I'm into chapter 3 of NG+ now and tried one of the new story missions, added a little bit I suppose :) and actually being able to take on the expert quests is quite nice! The airship is available as soon as you have liberated Rubrum

VariantX

Ok, I've just started playing this game about a day ago and so far I like the combat so far. Is there an option to tweak the camera settings for this game? Because the camera just swings WAYY too fast in one direction and then the other and this combined with the excessive motion blur makes for an uncomfortable play experience not to mention makes it seem like your TV screen is covered with Vaseline.

Shahed

I put the majority if not all of the cutscene direction down to it being a PSP game. I have no worries about what we'll get from FFXV on console

Finished the game and started on my NG+ playthrough. Took slightly longer than I expected, at 40hrs, which is a good thing.

So, something I didn't notice at first: (ending spoiler)

If the ending wasn't sad enough with Machina and Rem finding everyone dead and holding hands, the "flag" that they were leaning on was made up of their capes and the "pole" was all of their weapons. Now that I look at the key visual with Ace I expect that this has been pointed out before, but learning that twisted the knife in my heart ever so slightly.

So, something I didn't notice at first: (ending spoiler)

If the ending wasn't sad enough with Machina and Rem finding everyone dead and holding hands, the "flag" that they were leaning on was made up of their capes and the "pole" was all of their weapons. Now that I look at the key visual with Ace I expect that this has been pointed out before, but learning that twisted the knife in my heart ever so slightly.

That really was a fantastic touch. And spoilers
having it on the game's cover is really meaningful.

I keep feeling like I'm missing stuff. I just started Chapter 3 and went to explore the world, none of the towns had any quests for me. I've already cleared Corsi Cave and done all the tasks in the towns from chapter 2. I have 2 days and 2 hours left before my first mission, is there anything I'm missing? It seems like all there is to do is talk to people and take the moogle's class.

lewisgone

Ending spoilers:

Being unable to lose against the final boss bothered me, but not as much as the unwinnable challenge just before the Rem+Machina crystal cutscene. Failing the challenge "Climb without falling" when I blatantly didn't fall made me assume my game had glitched, when Cid said the vaguest things possible that didn't make it crystal clear he had failed you for no reason. I actually reset the game the first time it happened.

In general I really dislike the large amount of bosses, areas and scenarios where the player isn't expected to survive. It just isn't fun from a gameplay perspective. I get that the game is designed to be replayed, but in my opinion it detracted too heavily from the first playthrough to be worth it. One boss that was too tough the first time might have been fine. Not 2 or 3 though.The confusing mess that was chapter 8 is another scenario where I really felt the New Game+ focus was misguided. I just wanted to know what was going on. Not play the game all over again.

Cloudy

Banned
I've somehow put 16hrs into this game and I'm still on chapter 3. It's strangely addictive doing tasks and leveling up all my characters lol

Illucio

Banned
I'm really tired of the grinding in this game. I wish this game was more like FL 13 in the way that all your characters were equally leveled up as you grinded. It saved a ton of time, making grinding more convenient doesn't take away the challenge or easier. There is still a ton of grinding in the game alone just for 3 characters.

I'm getting tired of the pointless grinds and bad side quests... It's keeping me from wanting to complete this game.

I'm on Chapter 5 and became under leveled AGAIN. And I'm suffering from either boredom of grinding or from enemies that are too stro ng for me.

I really like a lot of things about this game, but next to the clashing graphical changes to the old one, some decent voice acting, poor transition to consoles, no tweaks or fixes to the actual gameplay, and terrible grind walls. I'm pretty disappointed overall, mostly because I know Square could had put the time and money on improving this game a bit more. It feels like an unfinished port then an actual port/remaster.

Onto chapter 7
Man, is the memory wiping thing rather depressing...
Incognitus is so obviously Machina it hurts.
Man, I can't describe chapter 5+6 in any other manner than simply epic.
They are offing character I wanna know more about...

Some concerns going forward.
Where is Rubrum getting the resources for such lengthy and massive campaigns?
I hope Milites get expanded on some more so as to avoid being the evil for the sake of evil bad guys.

I've somehow put 16hrs into this game and I'm still on chapter 3. It's strangely addictive doing tasks and leveling up all my characters lol

I couldn't bother much for the tasks but the events I am all over like white on rice.

I'm really tired of the grinding in this game. I wish this game was more like FL 13 in the way that all your characters were equally leveled up as you grinded. It saved a ton of time, making grinding more convenient doesn't take away the challenge or easier. There is still a ton of grinding in the game alone just for 3 characters.

I'm getting tired of the pointless grinds and bad side quests... It's keeping me from wanting to complete this game.

I'm on Chapter 5 and became under leveled AGAIN. And I'm suffering from either boredom of grinding or from enemies that are too stro ng for me.

I really like a lot of things about this game, but next to the clashing graphical changes to the old one, some decent voice acting, poor transition to consoles, no tweaks or fixes to the actual gameplay, and terrible grind walls. I'm pretty disappointed overall, mostly because I know Square could had put the time and money on improving this game a bit more. It feels like an unfinished port then an actual port/remaster.

Chapter 5 was rough. Though, dodging and timing make a massive difference in combat.

Perfo

Just finished yesterday. I loved the final dungeon, somehow it was different from the usual final dungeon. Too bad the final boss instead... was basically the easiest final boss I've ever encountered in a videogame.

To all of the people bored of the grind, why don't you just use the simple exploit to level up to the level needed for the quest?

I know it's cheating but for me it made the game so much more enjoyable as I had the same comllaints as you.

Perfo

Sincerely unless you re trying to do missions supposed to be done on the 2nd playthrough there's no much grinding at all in this game.

KupoNut

I'm having a hard time with only 2 characters close to the recommended mission level and dying, only ending up with 3-4 characters at the end of a mission in poor level condition, having to carefully dodge and deal little damage. I'm certainly going to level-up a little once I get back to Akademeia

Top Bottom