• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD |OT| War Never Changes

The opening was absolutely brutal for me
Poor Izana

I should say that the
Flashbacks for Izana
are really well made, and I love how they explore his character.

P.S How do you guys recommend me to play the game? Should I just ignore most of the side stuff and play the story, or try my hands at side stuff + expert trials and then do story? I am asking this because there are times when there is nothing to do, and without a guide in hand, it gets annoying to switch characters and to find out if any of them have any extra cutscenes etc.

Expert trials will fit really well (level-wise) for a NG+, so if you plan on doing NG+ wait for that.

The more generic stuff will often give a pretty alright reward, so do them if you'd like.

Events depends on how much you like exposition I guess (I'd say watch at least the voiced cutscenes).

Imo the best way to play is to never talk to the guy at the academy that skips time, because (at least on your first playthrough) there's always enough to do without having to skip.

Mik317

Played for a about 2 hours...I like it but some things bother me a lot.

Lets get the negatives out of the way

- That motion blur...is something else. Without it the camera would be ok to me. It hurts my eyes....wtf were they thinking there.

- Story so far feels very chopped up. We are introduced to Class Zero fast as shit without knowing their names or personality so it makes scenes with them feel like they came outta nowhere (like the Moglin scene...like ok...wat..who is this girl and why is she so happy and weird..huh?). It feels like we are missing a prologue in which we met them or something (maybe the CE manga helps?). Also square has to cut it out with the fancy words that only serve to confuse the shit out of its audience

- Combat feels cool but I feel like ranged characters will rule the day against most bosses...becuase that first boss sucked with Ace spam and dodge.

- It really feels like a half-ass port job in places..This is a PSP port , I get that but if you are going to update the leads...then at least upgrade the other characters that will appear in cutscenes..holy shit.

The Good...so far.

- Despite the choppiness, I am interested in the story I guess.

- The music is really good.

- It is fun so far, the combat is snappy and easy to pick up..

- Ace's dodge is pretty pimp.

I went on and on about the bad but they really stand out but I don't think they will ruin it for me but still some baffling decisions for sure.

Expert trials will fit really well (level-wise) for a NG+, so if you plan on doing NG+ wait for that.

The more generic stuff will often give a pretty alright reward, so do them if you'd like.

Events depends on how much you like exposition I guess (I'd say watch at least the voiced cutscenes).

Imo the best way to play is to never talk to the guy at the academy that skips time, because (at least on your first playthrough) there's always enough to do without having to skip.
I mostly do that and avoid skipping stuff, but there are times when there is basically nothing to do at all. Like currently I am in Chapter 3 and did the first mission of it and everything after it and yet there is still a lot of time left.

zennyzz

I mostly do that and avoid skipping stuff, but there are times when there is basically nothing to do at all. Like currently I am in Chapter 3 and did the first mission of it and everything after it and yet there is still a lot of time left.

usually at those points its best to sit in on Moglin's classes and level up your stats.

Or go out to the world map if you've enough hours do do some town side quests or check out a few dungeons.

Yeah, if you don't have classes and you completed every sidequest from the world map, then skipping is an option I suppose =P

I never did that on my playthrough though, does the HD version give more time between missions?

How is the English dub in this game btw? Is it ok or bad?

Actors are good, direction is poor. JP voices recommended.

kiri

Got my pre-order ready to pick up at the end of this week!!

But my PS4 is en route back home via ship....not going to be able to play FFXV until June ;_;

ZeroX03

Banned
I don't understand why this is $60. I swear I thought it was $40.

PS3's HD Remaster pricing rules are no longer in place and they know XV demo will push demand to buy early. Money grabbing at it's finest.

All of SE's poorly price remasters have plummeted in price within 2-3 months. Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider both went on sale at $30 within two months I think. FFX, KH1.5 and KH2.5 were all set to a (Sony mandated?) $40 price point and kept their prices strong for longer. SE just use the XV demo's limited availability to force people into it. It's a shitty practice. We shouldn't be rewarding them for it.
But I'm still buying as soon as it goes live on PSN.

Do your allies attack with you? I just watched a video where they stood around doing nothing.

Type-0's AI is "not bad" (it's not good either, but they never negatively impact you).

They will heal you if they have Cure and MP, that's always on point. And they usually spam skills (specially DPS skills). But they attack sometimes.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'm actually buying this because some people say it is the best FF game since 9. The demo is just a nice bonus. And it is just a demo after all.

Err...who said it was better than 10, 11, 12 or 14 ARR i wonder....?

After a full gen on consoles of Lighting and virtually nothing else, its surely a breath of fresh air, but better than all those games...?

artsi

I watched Kagari's stream for a while and the dub is really bad. I'm glad they decided to go with dual audio.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I watched Kagari's stream for a while and the dub is really bad. I'm glad they decided to go with dual audio.

SE's got a dub problem right now. They're making mediocre anime dubs when it could be so much more...

FFXII why did you tease me so....

Slaythe

SE's got a dub problem right now. They're making mediocre anime dubs when it could be so much more...

FFXII why did you tease me so....

This is beyond anime mediocre level.

That's honestly just not watchable. I got sick of it after 10 seconds. And I tend to prefer "understanding everything" above performance, but here just no. Takes away completely from the game.

BocoDragon

That's honestly just not watchable. I got sick of it after 10 seconds. And I tend to prefer "understanding everything" above performance, but here just no. Takes away completely from the game.

So 90s anime dub quality? lol

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I can't wait to play this game but... with the Eu S-E Store down from hours I can't even keep track of my order. When will they ship? T.T

Perfo

So 90s anime dub quality? lol

I think certain players are over-reacting when it comes to en-dubs to their jp-games. I watched the first hour on youtube in english and seems quite good, FFXIII-level (well except for the missing lips-synch). Better than your usual Tales of or other jRPGs to make it clear. I think some people in 2015 are still in the "jp animes must be watched in japanese languages" for some reason, and that randomly applies to each and every japanese product. It's so tiring to see this everytime...

BocoDragon

I think certain players are over-reacting when it comes to en-dubs to their jp-games. I watched the first hour on youtube in english and seems quite good, FFXIII-level (well except for the missing lips-synch). Better than your usual Tales of or other jRPGs to make it clear. I think some people in 2015 are still in the "jp animes must be watched in japanese languages" for some reason, and that randomly applies to each and every japanese product. It's so tiring to see this everytime...

I haven't played this or XV demo yet, so I am only speculating...

I think Square has delivered relatively well-recorded dubs that would be appropriate for a cartoon. And despite my comment above, that is FAR above the failure of the dubs of the 90s, which were actually tone-deaf, didn't sync to lips, with occasionally inappropriate voices and terrible performances.

But the bar is higher now. FF probably does not deserve to sound like a cartoon... it should sound like a native Hollywood film. FFXII was pretty much there - it sounded like a really top-shelf performance of a Shakespeare play. But XIII and what I've heard of XV and Type-0 sounds like a cartoon. SE should aim for higher.

I'll reserve final judgement for when I play these games... but I think its safe to say that FF has a dub problem, in that the dubs are technically sound, but really don't reach a level of verisimilitude.

Perfo

I haven't played this or XV demo yet, so I am only speculating...

I think Square has delivered relatively well-recorded dubs that would be appropriate for a cartoon. And despite my comment above, that is FAR above the failure of the dubs of the 90s, which were actually tone-deaf, didn't sync to lips, with occasionally inappropriate voices and terrible performances.

But the bar is higher now. FF probably does not deserve to sound like a cartoon... it should sound like a native Hollywood film. FFXII was pretty much there - it sounded like a really top-shelf performance of a Shakespeare play. But XIII and what I've heard of XV and Type-0 sounds like a cartoon. SE should aim for higher.

I think it has way more to do with the writing than not the dubbing you know...

Slaythe

Sorry if we actually have standards and you don't. "For some reason", maybe because the quality in the line delivery is way higher and that it rarely ever breaks immersion. Or the questionable translation of that english version.

This is like FF13. Except it's like the entire cast is made out of Vanille and Hope (but i'm sure you're gonna tell me "they're quite good"). I'm glad you like it.

BocoDragon

I think it has way more to do with the writing than not the dubbing you know...

Fair enough.

Whatever the reason, with the type of prestige storytelling brand that SE has cultivated, they deserve "Disney localizing Ghibli movie"-level dubs.

Chapter 4 story spoilers:
God damn I was not expecting Aria to get shot out of nowhere, especially given it seemed like they were going to build upon her personality.

The VAs sometimes pause really awkwardly in the middle of sentences, though it's thankfully not FFX Yuna levels of bad. Sometimes they deliver the lines like they don't know what they're talking about or what the situation is that they're speaking in. Other times the delivery is just flat and unconvincing. And all this is made worse by the fact that there's no proper lip syncing.

Oh, and the translation sounds too literal sometimes too.

artsi

I understand that native English speakers would usually prefer the language they speak every day.

Personally to me English is just as foreign as Japanese, and as I've spent time to learn both there's reason to go with a dub over the original language. Especially in these situations where I perceive it as second-class quality, which is of course highly subjective.

Anyway like I said it's good they went with dual audio so gamers can have a choice. I think it should be the standard, but not at the cost of the translation / dub quality.

Does anything special happen if (chapter 4 spoilers)
you manage to kill the zombie soldier with a super leveled team instead of just fleeing?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I hope they can patch the motion blur to a lower setting quite soon :( That's my only issue so far

CorvoSol

Is it as bad as Bravely Default's?

Does anything special happen if (chapter 4 spoilers)
you manage to kill the zombie soldier with a super leveled team instead of just fleeing?

No.

Is the store really expected to update in over 10 hours? Does it update in one go or do things slowly appear over time?
I'm in Australia and I'd rather sleep and wake up at a certain time to ensure I get the game as soon as possible over staying up all night waiting and checking.

Top Bottom