• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VIII |OT| Gabe Finally Passes the SeeD Exam

Conezays

You should draw all you can to start junctioning to your stats as soon as you can. Once you get the higher level magic, you can always discard the weaker versions at that point to make room when you need it. You can discard an entire stack of 100 spells at once so there's really no reason to worry about loading up on weak stuff for later progression. You can also shuffle magic to other characters so if you want to keep a certain magic for certain circumstances, shuffle it to a character not in your active party.

Thanks for the tip! With regards to just leveling up then, what is the deal there-it's frowned upon to do any serious grinding? Last time I played the game near the end (somewhere around the end of disc 3) and I was around level 23. Good? Bad?

Cheers.

Can anybody tell me how on earth you change the trade rule in triple triad?

I want to play cards with the people in Balamb Garden but I'll be damned if I'm playing while it's set to Direct....

Thanks for the tip! With regards to just leveling up then, what is the deal there-it's frowned upon to do any serious grinding? Last time I played the game near the end (somewhere around the end of disc 3) and I was around level 23. Good? Bad?

Cheers.

I think FF8 has monster level scaling, if Squall levels up, monsters and bosses in encounters are also tougher. So grinding levels is not very usefull, it's probably even better to level as little as possible and enhance your character's stats with junctions. That will make you overpowered compared to most monsters.

Cheers.
People like to frown upon it because the enemies scale up with you but in reality, magic junctioning to stats heavily offsets levels so it really doesn't matter. I always get all my characters to lvl 100 and still curb stomp everything. It's similar to how equipment heavily overcompensates for levels in the Elder Scroll games. Play how you prefer, you can't lose as long as you junction strong magic to your stats. Furthermore, you can learn abilities from GFs that increase a particular stat every time you level up so to truly become as strong as possible, you'd have to level up to 100. That said, junctioning strong magic and keeping your level low is the greatest discrepancy between your strength and monsters but really, do what you want.
Can anybody tell me how on earth you change the trade rule in triple triad?

I want to play cards with the people in Balamb Garden but I'll be damned if I'm playing while it's set to Direct....
If you're just trying to change the reward for winning, that's simple. Just challenge them and when you see it as Direct or All, etc. just back out and challenge them again. Rinse and repeat until it says "One". Now abolishing rules from a region is a more complicated matter but doesn't sound like you're trying to do that at the moment.

If you're just trying to change the reward for winning, that's simple. Just challenge them and when you see it as Direct or All, etc. just back out and challenge them again. Rinse and repeat until it says "One". Now abolishing rules from a region is a more complicated matter but doesn't sound like you're trying to do that at the moment.

Hmm, I don't think that's how it works. I just tried it and I get Direct every time. I think it might be more complicated than that :/

I think I have read something about it being controlled by the dominant region???? I dunno I can't make sense of it :/

Hmm, I don't think that's how it works. I just tried it and I get Direct every time. I think it might be more complicated than that :/

I think I have read something about it being controlled by the dominant region???? I dunno I can't make sense of it :/

I know for sure that works with the Queen of Cards and I did it with another character too and I believe there were a couple times were I had to do it an obscene amount of times to finally give me "One" to where I started to doubt that character offered that format but it eventually kicked in. Usually it only takes a few times.

To change the dominant region, you just play several games, maybe 10 in a region to make it dominant. You can check which one is dominant by talking to the Queen of Cards and she'll even allow you to change it if you pay her 30k Gil I think it is.

I know for sure that works with the Queen of Cards and I did it with another character too and I believe there were a couple times were I had to do it an obscene amount of times to finally give me "One" to where I started to doubt that character offered that format but it eventually kicked in. Usually it only takes a few times.

To change the dominant region, you just play several games, maybe 10 in a region to make it dominant. You can check which one is dominant by talking to the Queen of Cards and she'll even allow you to change it if you pay her 30k Gil I think it is.

Ah ok. I'm at a sticking point with the QoC as I believe she is probably in Balamb (forgot to move her on when I first started the game) and now I don't want to go back there as it will trigger the 'liberating Balamb from Galbadia Garden' scenario that I don't want to do yet.

Playing cards in Deling City now to try and make it dominant. Will test the theory :)

Ah ok. I'm at a sticking point with the QoC as I believe she is probably in Balamb (forgot to move her on when I first started the game) and now I don't want to go back there as it will trigger the 'liberating Balamb from Galbadia Garden' scenario that I don't want to do yet.

Playing cards in Deling City now to try and make it dominant. Will test the theory :)

Yeah I screwed up and didn't start the quest off too and then couldn't get back to Balamb until the liberation. I abolished all the bad rules in Dollet, all but same from Galbadia, and the worst rules from Trabia and FH in the meantime. I couldn't get it all the way I wanted it since I couldn't spread the Open rule due to not starting in Balamb so I just spread Same in the interim as it's not too bad a rule. You can do the Trabia rules early by messing with the guy in red inside the locker room at the hockey rink in Galbadia Garden and the security guard right outside the locker room blocking the opening onto the rink will allow you to bounce back and forth. The early FH access is via a lady in green in Deling City who I want to say is across the street from the hotel. You can use the girl in the room Julia played piano in to bounce back and forth with her. This bounce back and forth thing probably makes no sense if you don't know how to abolish rules from a region. Check this guide out: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197343-final-fantasy-viii/faqs/4905
or there's this guide that explains it even more thoroughly and will make sure you don't miss a single card: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197343-final-fantasy-viii/faqs/10404

Does anybody else feel like GF boosting is really hard on the PC version compared to the console versions?

I feel like Windows isn't registering every button press whether I used the keyboard or a controller.

On the console versions I was always able to boost a minimum of 150 on the first 3 GF. I'm really lucky to get 130 on this version :/

Does anybody else feel like GF boosting is really hard on the PC version compared to the console versions?

I feel like Windows isn't registering every button press whether I used the keyboard or a controller.

On the console versions I was always able to boost a minimum of 150 on the first 3 GF. I'm really lucky to get 130 on this version :/

Yep, I can't hit my usual boosting numbers on steam with the 360 controller, no where near as easy to spam as the DS controllers in the past. Unless it's a GF that gives you all day like Bahamut or Eden.

Son Of D

So is the PC version worth getting if I already have the PSN version on PS3? The modding aspect seems nice. And the game's £6.69 on Green Man Gaming.

So is the PC version worth getting if I already have the PSN version on PS3? The modding aspect seems nice. And the game's £6.69 on Green Man Gaming.

If you are an achievement whore, steam finally gives us achievements for this game. It includes Chocobo World from the pocketstation if you never had a chance to try that on PS, character models enhanced a bit, a Magic Booster you can activate from the main menu once you have a save point to map it to that gives you 100 of a bunch of spells to give you a leg up at the beginning and there are a number of small updates within the game as well. It certainly doesn't hurt to have it on a platform where you won't ever have to worry about backwards compatibility in the future to play it.

Yep, I can't hit my usual boosting numbers on steam with the 360 controller, no where near as easy to spam as the DS controllers in the past. Unless it's a GF that gives you all day like Bahamut or Eden.

I'm almost certain it's not registering every one of my hits. Cos I watch it pretty intently - and theres a few times where I know I screwed up and it didn't reset me to 75...annoying as I doubt there's a fix.

If you're a fan of the game and are likely to play it a lot then I'd say yes. I'm really enjoying discovering new things - like details in the character and monsters that I've never seen before. Also a lot of animations look clearer as a result of the higher res. Also Chocobo World is a new experience and means you can explore certain elements of the battle system you probably couldn't before.

Deadly

On a controller it definitely registers less. Just when you start the game if you mash X/A, it'll skip pretty slowly but mashing whatever you have bind on keyboard skips it instantly.

Son Of D

Well, I bought it. Just got out of the Fire Cavern. Holy shit at the speed of the game. Maybe it's because I'm used to the EU PS1 version but this seems a lot faster. Especially the loading times.

Well, I bought it. Just got out of the Fire Cavern. Holy shit at the speed of the game. Maybe it's because I'm used to the EU PS1 version but this seems a lot faster. Especially the loading times.

I forgot to mention that, faster load times are always a great thing :D Enjoy your play through and there are plenty of us in this thread to help with any questions you have.

A buddy of mine sent me this link for an FF8 t-shirt with a cool design. This site changes it's featured t-shirt by the day so it's only up today for another 7hrs so check it out and scoop it up if you like it! https://www.teefury.com/#

Ahhhh I'm so undecided!

I like the design and I'd love to own an FF8 Tshirt.... but their size Small is a bit too big for me....

And since I'm from the UK if it arrives and it feels too baggy it's going to be hard to return..

What do I do!?!?

Ahhhh I'm so undecided!

I like the design and I'd love to own an FF8 Tshirt.... but their size Small is a bit too big for me....

And since I'm from the UK if it arrives and it feels too baggy it's going to be hard to return..

What do I do!?!?

It's 100 percent cotton so wash in hot water and high heat in dryer and it will shrink :)

Yeah, I went ahead and bought it anyway haha.

We'll see how it is when it gets here, might fit ok without resorting to shrinkage! I like it because its not in-your-face FFVIII (like using actual game art or something) so to anybody who didn't know better it just looks like a cool design.

Xena

I wanted to try to get all cards this time, and was wondering if anyone here could help with setting up things for CC disc 4 card hunting? I've read a bunch of threads on faqs but the information is too confusing and they assume I did the Queen of Cards quest, which I totally bypassed.

I mean, the only real benefit of QoC is auto haste in early discs, but in a low level game (which I did) the enemies were so weak that even for Omega I didn't really need it. So I chose to not go through all the hassle of following the guides and resetting and moving her here and there if I can just challenge Left Diamond and still get the cards.

At any rate, I have a save before end of disc 3. I only carry Balamb rules right now, and have never moved the queen anywhere. I believe the only other place I've ever played a game of cards was at the prison, just because of the meter thingy.

I hear this CC member and King carry rules from Trabia and Lunar respectively, so what's the most efficient way for me to go about it and have an easy time (as in no random, sudden death) in Ragnarok disc 4? Oh, and I do have PuPu and realize I shouldn't do anything with it since it's unique.

Any help is appreciated!

I wanted to try to get all cards this time, and was wondering if anyone here could help with setting up things for CC disc 4 card hunting? I've read a bunch of threads on faqs but the information is too confusing and they assume I did the Queen of Cards quest, which I totally bypassed.

I mean, the only real benefit of QoC is auto haste in early discs, but in a low level game (which I did) the enemies were so weak that even for Omega I didn't really need it. So I chose to not go through all the hassle of following the guides and resetting and moving her here and there if I can just challenge Left Diamond and still get the cards.

At any rate, I have a save before end of disc 3. I only carry Balamb rules right now, and have never moved the queen anywhere. I believe the only other place I've ever played a game of cards was at the prison, just because of the meter thingy.

I hear this CC member and King carry rules from Trabia and Lunar respectively, so what's the most efficient way for me to go about it and have an easy time (as in no random, sudden death) in Ragnarok disc 4? Oh, and I do have PuPu and realize I shouldn't do anything with it since it's unique.

Any help is appreciated!

Ok, so what you need to do is go to Balamb Garden and complete the CC card quest, all members are within the garden. By completing the quest, they will all appear on Ragnarok in disc 4. Each member carries rules of a specific region when you play them on disc 4 so if you want to make life easy for that portion, you have to abolish the rules you don't like in those respective regions before you reach disc 4. They are as follows: Jack -> Balamb
Joker -> Centra
Club -> Dollet
Diamond -> Trabia
Spade -> Esthar
Heart -> FH
King -> Lunar

The good news is that you really only need to play Diamond to get those cards as she plays them far more often than any of the others so you can just focus on abolishing what you don't like in Trabia's rule set. I've read people state sometimes they've played the Queen to get a few that the CC members were stubborn about playing but hopefully you can avoid that as she plays every rule in the game and you can't rid her of any of it, I believe. You can check out this guide for some detailed explanations on where the members are and how to abolish rules in a region. There are more consice guides no doubt but this person really goes in to detail so it may be easier to understand how the abolishing works. If you're still confused, just ask here and I'll do my best to break it down more for you: : http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197343-finalfantasy8/faqs/10404

I will say that it can be annoying to abolish rules at times and you may find it easier to just deal with Trabia's rules.

Xena

Thanks for your response Squall ASF! I had already beaten the CC group as I understand it is a requirement in order for them to show up in disc 4 in the first place.

I also did read that faq, which is great faq, but like I mentioned I bypassed the Queen side quest and she doesn't really give a method for setting things up without it. She even mentioned towards the end of it that she didn't even realize Diamond would also play Queen's cards in disc 4.
I believe that even if I wanted to work on that Queen of Cards quest now, I already missed on cards she might require me to lose to her anyway.

So if I'm to just abolish rules in Trabia, how do I go about that? Do I just go there and ask to play with someone (say, Selphie's friend) and accept, then on the rules screen, quit and hope it will show "rule this was abolished"? I read that this can take even a couple hours of retry, that's why I want to make sure I'm doing this right to begin with so that I don't spend two hours and it never comes up because something is wrong in the first place.

As a trial, I went to the closest town I had parked ragnarok, in Dollet, and tried playing someone and quitting at the rules screen, but all I have gotten is "Open has spread". It never abolishes anything.

Thanks for your response Squall ASF! I had already beaten the CC group as I understand it is a requirement in order for them to show up in disc 4 in the first place.

I also did read that faq, which is great faq, but like I mentioned I bypassed the Queen side quest and she doesn't really give a method for setting things up without it. She even mentioned towards the end of it that she didn't even realize Diamond would also play Queen's cards in disc 4.
I believe that even if I wanted to work on that Queen of Cards quest now, I already missed on cards she might require me to lose to her anyway.

So if I'm to just abolish rules in Trabia, how do I go about that? Do I just go there and ask to play with someone (say, Selphie's friend) and accept, then on the rules screen, quit and hope it will show "rule this was abolished"? I read that this can take even a couple hours of retry, that's why I want to make sure I'm doing this right to begin with so that I don't spend two hours and it never comes up because something is wrong in the first place.

As a trial, I went to the closest town I had parked ragnarok, in Dollet, and tried playing someone and quitting at the rules screen, but all I have gotten is "Open has spread". It never abolishes anything.
No problem :)

I'm pretty sure you could still do the Queen's quest if you wanted to but it's not necessary. Yes, you have the basic fundamental down for abolishing a rule. You can either spread a rule to a region, or abolish an existing one so you want to save your game first, and then if it spreads your rule or abolishes one you don't want to rid of, you reload your save and try again. This can be trying and time consuming at times, particularly ridding Random in my experience, but sometimes I rid of a rule like Plus almost instantly. The trick is that you have to have a rule on you that's not in the region you're trying to abolish from at all times so that it asks you to mix rules as that's the only way to abolish.

So if you just have Open and it spreads in Trabia, you now don't have anything that doesn't exist in Trabia so it won't ask you to mix rules. What I recommend is getting a rule from another region first so you have two, Open from Balamb and I'd recommend Same from Galbadia (Timber works) and then with Open and Same on you, save your game and then challenge someone in Trabia reloading if it doesn't abolish a rule you want to rid of (reload if it abolishes Open or Same).

If you want to get rid of multiple rules, after you rid of one, save and then resume, reloading until you rid of another rule. I believe after you get rid of the first rule, you can allow it to spread Open and so long as you still have Same on you, you can keep doing it with the only remaining options being to spread Same or abolish the other rule you want to get rid of. I want to say Trabia has Random and Plus but not positive at the top of my head. In any case, it's now a reload if Same spreads or abolishes and save if you get rid of the other bad rule!

Look what finally arrived :D

7863AE95-AE9B-414B-BBE4-073B4DF22E17_zpsti3u17jz.jpg

Looks like test branches of FF8 have been getting updated since yesterday, wonder what this could be...
*crosses fingers for the midi music to be replaced with the PS1 version music*

http://steamdb.info/app/39150/#section_history

You can get around this with some alterations which I want to say someone linked on the first page of this thread. It would still be nice if they did this because I'm sure there are many gamers that haven't looked up a work around.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I sincerely forgot how amazingly special the overworld map looks and this was a PS1 game, ok. Kind of special how they pulled this off with only four discs and it manages to do things even later Final Fantasy chapters don't grab the magic and wonders of it all. It is also the magnificent story and romance that comes with the discs and the whole package is made wonderful without a doubt. Is it so bad for me to desire a direct sequel and not just a Triad game that could be coming out? I would love a VIII-2 but I've mentioned that far too many times before in this community. What a lovely game; I wanna get it again.

Ah hell, downloaded this onto my Vita. Might as well give this game a run since I never really bothered before due to FF7
and FF13 please don't kill me
addiction.

A question...

I just downloaded and installed the game on my laptop.

Specs:
Windows 8.1 x64
8GB RAM
2GB dedicated VRAM

Running as administrator helped with the screen flickering during the logos and the opening credits but after Squall needs to be on bed after the opening FMV, what do I find?

Nothing!

Missing character models and such messed up stuff.

Has anybody experienced this?
Need a fix!

I always liked 8 over 7. Plus, the thread about Squall actually being dead and dreaming about the game blew my mind (if only it were true!). Wish I could find the link to the site

I know this post is many months old, but regardless- here is what you're looking for, I think.
Obviously there are massive spoilers for those of you first-timers still working through the game. :p

I sincerely forgot how amazingly special the overworld map looks and this was a PS1 game, ok. Kind of special how they pulled this off with only four discs and it manages to do things even later Final Fantasy chapters don't grab the magic and wonders of it all. It is also the magnificent story and romance that comes with the discs and the whole package is made wonderful without a doubt. Is it so bad for me to desire a direct sequel and not just a Triad game that could be coming out? I would love a VIII-2 but I've mentioned that far too many times before in this community. What a lovely game; I wanna get it again.

FFVIII is still my favorite- and as endearing as I found the characters and as much as I love the world of FFVIII, I really appreciate it as a stand alone project. It's conclusion is so beautifully bitter-sweet that I'm satisfied leaving the future of those characters up to my own imagination.
FFVIII was pretty damn ballsy project overall, especially considering the fact it had to follow the behemoth that was FFVII. It represents, in my opinion, a time that Squaresoft was at the absolute top of their game. They were taking chances on so many unique IPs and allowing their existing ones room to grow and experiment a bit.
Love it or hate it, FFVIII represents a time of true creative excellence in the industry. I truly miss when that company was firing on all cylinders.

Scrawnton

Thread bump from hell. Been playing this game again in anticipation of Type-0... playing it on vita. I wanted to play this one because the quasi modern world mixed with fantasy tech that ff15 is going for reminds me a heck of a lot of the world design of this game. Easily my favorite Final Fantasy. I am currently playing it with a lower level run with smart junctioning and random encounters off.

Thread bump from hell. Been playing this game again in anticipation of Type-0... playing it on vita. I wanted to play this one because the quasi modern world mixed with fantasy tech that ff15 is going for reminds me a heck of a lot of the world design of this game. Easily my favorite Final Fantasy. I am currently playing it with a lower level run with smart junctioning and random encounters off.

Bump it all you like, I'll never tire of discussing FFVIII! Have fun with your play through and feel free to share anything or ask questions. FFXV has been my most anticipated game by far for nearly 10 years now... One day it will come out..one day! I'm thinking March '16 in NA, maybe as late as May or June.

Scrawnton

What magic should I junction to make my defense higher so I last longer. My low level run is going well but I'm noticing bosses are starting to hit a little harder.

Top Bottom