• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VIII |OT| Gabe Finally Passes the SeeD Exam

Is it possible to get lionheart in disc 1 AND not level at all?
Yes to both. You can finish whole game without gaining even one level - bosses don't give exp and u can use Card (Quezacotl ability) to kill enemies without getting exp for them too.
To get lionheart on 1st disc you need 20 Elnoyle cards (I think every NPC in game can deal it) and then refine them into Energy Crystals (via Card Mod) and then into Pulse Ammo (via ammo refine ability of Ifrit, IIRC). You also need to refine Adamantine from card of one of the Brothers (dont remember whom exactly) and get some Dragon Fangs from Grendel. You can meet him in a forest that separates train station and Galbadia Garden and there's a trick to that - you need to stick to wall of nearest canyon, otherwise you will meet other enemies.
You don't need to have magazines prior to make an upgrade nor previous weapon versions.

Unai

I got the Elnoyle cards from the Quists's fanboy in the cafeteria.

There is a guy outside the hotel in balamb who always has this card, but he only starts playing cards in disc 2.

If I had an NVIDIA card I'd be sorely tempted to get the Shield just for this game haha I would think it should work fine, as long as it can stream steam games there's no reason it wouldn't. Time to upgrade my video card already? That'd be a lot of money for one game haha

I took a break for vacation but I am now at Fishermans Horizon for the first time. Played more cards than anything else on my last session but I think I have most of the cards I can get at this point in the game. I'll be ready to create Doom Train when I finally progress enough to get the ring. I think I have enough Elnoyle cards for Rinoa but still need another 4 crystals for Save the Queen...Think I'll wait and just slay Elnoyle or Ruby Dragons for those as Quistis isn't in my 'dream team' anyway so no rush for her.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So between playing FF8 on PC vs. Playing the PS1 version on Vita OLED, which will look better?

So between playing FF8 on PC vs. Playing the PS1 version on Vita OLED, which will look better?
For me, The PC release by far. So many details in the 3d character and monster models pop out in ways that the ps1 didn't. Very crisp looking stuff. The world map on PC release looks a bit shoddy and there is some pixelation in pre rendered backgrounds (not as bad as ff VII PC tho). CG cutscenes look nicer than ps1 version. The positives outweigh the negatives for me where it concerns PC version.

vareon

Just played it again. Years ago I disliked the game because it's cool to hate the post VI FF and liked the old school ones. Now I'm replaying it and I don't remember anything about it at all! This will be a fun journey.

Why am I so terrible at Triple Triad?

I've played FF8 so many times but I've never paid much attention to the card game. I thought I'd give it more of a shot this time round but I haven't won a single game yet and I'm terrified to use any good cards incase I lose them.

Any tips on how to be better at it?

Or am I just a little bit stupid?

Unai

I've played FF8 so many times but I've never paid much attention to the card game. I thought I'd give it more of a shot this time round but I haven't won a single game yet and I'm terrified to use any good cards incase I lose them.

Save, play a game. If you win, save it again. If you loose, reset.

It will eventually get super easy as you get better cards.

Magnus

There's a mod for original music? What sort of music does the Steam version have? the orchestrations from the Square arranged album?

How far into the game are you? It gets much easier once you have a decent deck. You get some good GF cards when you acquire certain GFs so you can build up a decent deck without even playing that way if necessary. There are certain characters that have one good card and the rest crap so it's not bad trying to win that one good card to build your deck up. Example, the very first good card you can win easily in the game is the MiniMog card from that kid that runs in circles on Balamb Garden's first floor. You should already have the Ifrit card from when you acquired him and that will be enough to win the Minimog card. You should also only play in Balamb and Balamb Garden at first as there are no extra rules there to start out with so the game is simple. Some regions have rules that make the game far more complex.

And make sure you don`t spread the goddammit random rule.

I got too lazy to abolish it in some zones so ended up just dealing with it to get Alexander, Laguna, and Edea's cards ha

My buddy and I are actually thinking of grinding 100 cursed spikes from Tri-faces just to get a dark matter for the damn Quistis Blue Magic achievement...oh to be an OCD completion-ist.

Sorry for the double post but I just realized last night that the weak ass MiniMog Amulet we all got with the steam version is actually amazing if you didn't waste it on a GF already! You can modify it into a Shaman Stone which can be modified into a Rosetta Stone! I wish I discovered this sooner, who knows how long I could have had that x4 ability...

Deadly

Sorry for the double post but I just realized last night that the weak ass MiniMog Amulet we all got with the steam version is actually amazing if you didn't waste it on a GF already! You can modify it into a Shaman Stone which can be modified into a Rosetta Stone! I wish I discovered this sooner, who knows how long I could have had that x4 ability...
what minimog amulet??

what minimog amulet??

I just loaded up my game, it's actually called "Mog's Amulet". It teaches a GF the MiniMog ability. Instead of using it on a GF, you can use the Tool-RF you learn from Siren to convert it into a Shaman Stone and then convert the Shaman Stone into a Rosetta Stone using GFAbl Med-RF which you learn from Eden. Well that answers my question, I guess I couldn't have done it early in the game since you need Eden.

Thanks for the help guys..

I think I've got the hang of it now. I started playing with the drunk guy in Timber because he isn't very good at it and makes bad decisions - but also is next to a save point!

Started using my GF cards (was afraid I would lose them before) and started winning.

Getting a pretty good collection going now! :)

Thanks for the help guys..

I think I've got the hang of it now. I started playing with the drunk guy in Timber because he isn't very good at it and makes bad decisions - but also is next to a save point!

Started using my GF cards (was afraid I would lose them before) and started winning.

Getting a pretty good collection going now! :)

Excellent. Always use the best cards you have, you can always go out of your way to save before playing as you have been doing so it won't matter if you lose.

Currently doing the most fun (sarcasm) portion of the game, good ole draw point farming on the Island Closest to Heaven and Closest to Hell. It will be worth it when I have max Ultima junctioned to STR mwahaha

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm playing this game on my Vita instead since I figure it will be easier to play Triple Triad and farm cards on the couch while I have something on. I figure you guys wouldn't mind if I discussed my playthrough.

I'm still at the period after the Ifrit Battle. I have more than a 100 cards and have mostly every elemental spell levels 1-3. I sucked at Triple Triad when I first played this game. I've been farming Shumi Cards in the training center, but it is starting to get annoying. Each T-Rex and Grat should have a 6% chance of dropping it, if carded you should have a 12% chance of each carded monster giving you a Shumi card. It sure doesn't feel like it, I only have 2 of the cards and have been doing this forever. I guess I might just forgo doing it and wait to play someone later that has the card in Triple Triad.

If anyone wants to know why I'm farming Shumi Cards, you can turn 5 Shumi Cards into Gambler's Spirit. Gambler's Spirit lets you teach a GF the Card ability. This means you can have more than one character with the Card ability equipped.

Deadly

I just loaded up my game, it's actually called "Mog's Amulet". It teaches a GF the MiniMog ability. Instead of using it on a GF, you can use the Tool-RF you learn from Siren to convert it into a Shaman Stone and then convert the Shaman Stone into a Rosetta Stone using GFAbl Med-RF which you learn from Eden. Well that answers my question, I guess I couldn't have done it early in the game since you need Eden.
I really can't find this Mog's amulet item. Did you get it from Chocobo World or something?
I'm playing this game on my Vita instead since I figure it will be easier to play Triple Triad and farm cards on the couch while I have something on. I figure you guys wouldn't mind if I discussed my playthrough.

I'm still at the period after the Ifrit Battle. I have more than a 100 cards and have mostly every elemental spell levels 1-3. I sucked at Triple Triad when I first played this game. I've been farming Shumi Cards in the training center, but it is starting to get annoying. Each T-Rex and Grat should have a 6% chance of dropping it, if carded you should have a 12% chance of each carded monster giving you a Shumi card. It sure doesn't feel like it, I only have 2 of the cards and have been doing this forever. I guess I might just forgo doing it and wait to play someone later that has the card in Triple Triad.

If anyone wants to know why I'm farming Shumi Cards, you can turn 5 Shumi Cards into Gambler's Spirit. Gambler's Spirit lets you teach a GF the Card ability. This means you can have more than one character with the Card ability equipped.
Farm while you can. I regret not farming for absolutely everything in Balamb because that's where it's the easiest and most enjoyable. I'm at a point where I have to play against this guy in prison to get Rosetta Stones from him but the 'Random' rule is fucking ruining me.

I've never tried to not level my characters in any of my many play throughs, I'll have to try and remember this when I do another play session for that last achievement for not leveling Squall. I think I'll probably just suffer only Squall having it until I get to an area with a player that plays the lvl Shumi cards are at, having to grind in the training center in a card sounds awful.
I really can't find this Mog's amulet item. Did you get it from Chocobo World or something?

Farm while you can. I regret not farming for absolutely everything in Balamb because that's where it's the easiest and most enjoyable. I'm at a point where I have to play against this guy in prison to get Rosetta Stones from him but the 'Random' rule is fucking ruining me.

No, I've still never tried Chocobo World. Are you playing on STEAM? If so, maybe try using the Magic Booster before loading up your game? I could have sworn you get it without using the booster but I don't know why you wouldn't have it then. I definitely remember having it when I started the game. Hopefully you didn't use it on a GF when you first started. I'd create a separate save file real quick and test the Magic Booster on it. It should only give you magic spells but I'm at a loss as to why you don't have it.

Deadly

No, I've still never tried Chocobo World. Are you playing on STEAM? If so, maybe try using the Magic Booster before loading up your game? I could have sworn you get it without using the booster but I don't know why you wouldn't have it then. I definitely remember having it when I started the game. Hopefully you didn't use it on a GF when you first started. I'd create a separate save file real quick and test the Magic Booster on it. It should only give you magic spells but I'm at a loss as to why you don't have it.
Ah on a previous page someone said it was a pre-order exclusive. Although you can also get it through Chocobo World

This game and Vagrant Story are the only two PS1 games I still own from that era.

Would love to play the game, but not much time on my hand to do so for an rpg. Maybe I'll try that game breaker tip to make things go faster.

Ah on a previous page someone said it was a pre-order exclusive. Although you can also get it through Chocobo World

Oh, I think I remember something about having had to get it on the first day. I didn't pre-order because I didn't know about it in advance but I bought it day freakin one when I learned about it from this thread!

Well, are you trying to play a perfect game? If not, do the PuPu sidequest and convert his card into hungry cook pot which you can refine into a shaman stone with Tool-RF and then into Rosetta Stone.

Man, Vagrant Story, the one big name RPG I never got around to playing from the PS1 era. I have no idea how I never played it. Too bad that's not on STEAM or available to download/stream from the PS4 :(

Aww the moment where it all begins!

2014-01-02_00001.jpg

On an unrelated note - is anybody else CONVINCED that they can trigger critical hits even on characters that don't have gunblades?

I press G (or R1) every time anybody attacks, and every time I get a critical hit I can't help but believe I did it. XD

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Aww the moment where it all begins!

On an unrelated note - is anybody else CONVINCED that they can trigger critical hits even on characters that don't have gunblades?

I press G (or R1) every time anybody attacks, and every time I get a critical hit I can't help but believe I did it. XD

ive been believing this since 99.

and i've never bothered to confirm it with any source lol

Hahaha I do that all the time. I am very much convinced that Laguna can do this with his machinegun. The others usually fail the test though and it only works when I get lucky.

Hahaha I do that all the time. I am very much convinced that Laguna can do this with his machinegun. The others usually fail the test though and it only works when I get lucky.

Yes!! I'm so convinced it can be done with Laguna but I've just never been able to work out the timing! Haha.

Wazzy

Banned
I'm pretty sure you can do it with Squall, Seifer, Laguna and Zell. The others I don't think so.

Squall and Seifer of course can definitley.

I'm pretty sure you can do it with Squall, Seifer, Lagune and Zell. The others I don't think so.

Interesting, never figured Zell could. Gotta try that next time I play. Glad I wasn't imagining Laguna's criticals. The timing is a bit tricky but I'm sure I'm doing it and not just getting lucky. Kinda surprised to not find it mentioned on the net.

Conezays

So I'm misunderstanding all the junctioning/draw talk here...should you draw every spell you can find in the beginning or forego drawing early level spells like Thunder, Fire, Cure, etc?

Make it super obvious for us dumb folk like me. :)

So I'm misunderstanding all the junctioning/draw talk here...should you draw every spell you can find in the beginning or forego drawing early level spells like Thunder, Fire, Cure, etc?

Make it super obvious for us dumb folk like me. :)

You should draw all you can to start junctioning to your stats as soon as you can. Once you get the higher level magic, you can always discard the weaker versions at that point to make room when you need it. You can discard an entire stack of 100 spells at once so there's really no reason to worry about loading up on weak stuff for later progression. You can also shuffle magic to other characters so if you want to keep a certain magic for certain circumstances, shuffle it to a character not in your active party.

jaxword

I'm pretty sure you can do it with Squall, Seifer, Laguna and Zell. The others I don't think so.

You sure about that? Every guide I've seen just says Squall and Seifer. I'd be interested to read anything that talks about the other characters.

Guys,

Found this in a shop. How do I junction it?
Your magic reservoir might be full, discard weak magics like thunder and scan and you'll just suck it right up! Just know that this draw spot you found has guards that expect payment, you know, like the Ultima spot in Shumi Village.
You sure about that? Every guide I've seen just says Squall and Seifer. I'd be interested to read anything that talks about the other characters.

I'm pretty darn sure it's just those two. I've had times where it seemed like I could do it with Zell intentionally and even Rinoa at times but they were just coincidences. Eventually it wouldn't work at my command :(

It's great to see my sense of humour isn't lost on you guys :p

I honestly don't think you can trigger criticals with anybody except Squall and Seifer... mayyyybeee Laguna.

It just seems to be this weird psychological thing where no matter how many times you press the trigger on other characters and nothing happens - the second you do it and get a critical - you can't help but feel like you did it. lol.

On another note I started up chocobo world and went out for the day.

Came back and he's level 50. That was exciting!

It's great to see my sense of humour isn't lost on you guys :p

I honestly don't think you can trigger criticals with anybody except Squall and Seifer... mayyyybeee Laguna.

It just seems to be this weird psychological thing where no matter how many times you press the trigger on other characters and nothing happens - the second you do it and get a critical - you can't help but feel like you did it. lol.

On another note I started up chocobo world and went out for the day.

Came back and he's level 50. That was exciting!

Really? I never tried Chocobo World so didn't realize you could lvl him up so quick to get that achievement. I lost my motivation for bothering with it when I learned there's a secret one for getting 10K kills....I don't know who came up with that but they clearly wanted to upset completionists haha

Really? I never tried Chocobo World so didn't realize you could lvl him up so quick to get that achievement. I lost my motivation for bothering with it when I learned there's a secret one for getting 10K kills....I don't know who came up with that but they clearly wanted to upset completionists haha

Yeah I have a real chip on my shoulder about trophies/achievements etc. I like getting them but when getting a trophy involves a task that is more like work and less like fun I lose all interest.

Yeah the good thing about Chocobo World is the fact you can just leave it. You have to be playing it actively (on Event Wait) mode to get certain events (like the ones that level up Boko's summon attack) but Item farming and level grinding can all be done while you're off having a real life.

Yeah I have a real chip on my shoulder about trophies/achievements etc. I like getting them but when getting a trophy involves a task that is more like work and less like fun I lose all interest.

Yeah the good thing about Chocobo World is the fact you can just leave it. You have to be playing it actively (on Event Wait) mode to get certain events (like the ones that level up Boko's summon attack) but Item farming and level grinding can all be done while you're off having a real life.

I really took my time with this play session and did tons of grinding and every single side quest, maxed out GFs abilities, character levels, ultimate weapons, etc. and I still ended up grinding before the end to hit the 1K kills achievement. Then I looked up what I could possibly still be missing beside chocobo world and...yeah, if it took all that just to hit 1K, there's no plausible way to hit 10K. You'd have to just spread killing a couple hundred or so a day for months. No thanks! I sure had a blast playing through my favorite game again though! <3 FFVIII forever

Deadly

I really took my time with this play session and did tons of grinding and every single side quest, maxed out GFs abilities, character levels, ultimate weapons, etc. and I still ended up grinding before the end to hit the 1K kills achievement. Then I looked up what I could possibly still be missing beside chocobo world and...yeah, if it took all that just to hit 1K, there's no plausible way to hit 10K. You'd have to just spread killing a couple hundred or so a day for months. No thanks! I sure had a blast playing through my favorite game again though! <3 FFVIII forever
Really? Because I'm doing a no-level run but I occasionally do some fights to get some materials and I'm already at 229...

Really? Because I'm doing a no-level run but I occasionally do some fights to get some materials and I'm already at 229...

So by allowing myself to level I had 5 times more kills, sounds about right. There were portions where I used Enc None but I grinded at the beginning to average lvl 30 to mug laser canons from the laguna dream plus to learn mug in time and other GF abilities and then I killed plenty of cactuars to grind AP to learn all GF abilities, I grinded Trifaces for Cursed Spikes although that wasn't all that many since it was one at a time and I received several each battle and I grinded a few other enemies for drops before doing my final mini grind at the end for a hundred or so to hit 1K kills. My point is moreso that you can do everything in the game and you'll still end up absurdly short of that achievement even with some grinding.

Deadly

So by allowing myself to level I had 5 times more kills, sounds about right. There were portions where I used Enc None but I grinded at the beginning to average lvl 30 to mug laser canons from the laguna dream plus to learn mug in time and other GF abilities and then I killed plenty of cactuars to grind AP to learn all GF abilities, I grinded Trifaces for Cursed Spikes although that wasn't all that many since it was one at a time and I received several each battle and I grinded a few other enemies for drops before doing my final mini grind at the end for a hundred or so to hit 1K kills. My point is moreso that you can do everything in the game and you'll still end up absurdly short of that achievement even with some grinding.
I'm far from reaching the end of the game though. I just reached Fisherman's Horizon.

I'm far from reaching the end of the game though. I just reached Fisherman's Horizon.

200 still isn't much at all. If you find a way to get anywhere remotely close to 10K in a play session that doesn't require absurd hours of grinding, let me know! I'd be more than happy to scoop that achievement up ha

Wazzy

Banned

Interesting, never figured Zell could. Gotta try that next time I play. Glad I wasn't imagining Laguna's criticals. The timing is a bit tricky but I'm sure I'm doing it and not just getting lucky. Kinda surprised to not find it mentioned on the net.

Not a 100% sure hence why I said Squall and Seifer definitely can. I'll have to look into it but I'm almost sure I was able to do it with Laguna and Zell.

I just checked and I'm on 386 kills and I've just left FH. I'll agree that 10,000 is ridiculous since I'm doing some serious grinding and I'll still be struggling to get 1,000.

Edit: Odin just demonstrated to me why I need Enc None for his dungeon (and to not get distracted watching TV)

Top Bottom