• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2012 |OT| Ten years of Vana'diel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well with no hockey to watch and not much else going on, I think I'll jump back into this one last time. Starting fresh with the Ultimate Collection - Abyssea Edition I picked up during a sale recently. Will add myself to the google doc once I finish this nostalgic update nightmare.

How's DRK these days? It's been at least 8-9 years since I've even looked at the job.

Darryl

Banned
Well with no hockey to watch and not much else going on, I think I'll jump back into this one last time. Starting fresh with the Ultimate Collection - Abyssea Edition I picked up during a sale recently. Will add myself to the google doc once I finish this nostalgic update nightmare.

How's DRK these days? It's been at least 8-9 years since I've even looked at the job.

hzJR3.gif

No idea on the answer to your questions, I'm planning on starting up again soon one last time as well. The last time I played (2 years ago) it was just a good normal DD job.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
How many Gaffers are still playing this? I was trying the game out back when this thread popped up but I never got into it. Thinking about grabbing it over Winter break if it goes on sale again:

hzJR3.gif

No idea on the answer to your questions, I'm planning on starting up again soon one last time as well. The last time I played (2 years ago) it was just a good normal DD job.

lol

I've actually only jumped back in twice since quitting in early 2005. Not too bad!

Anyone still play in the gaf shell? was thinking of activating and playing for a bit before XIV ARR lands. Would need to transfer my character and don't want to pay if it's dead.

Shouta

NNI made me quit lolz

See you all when the expansion launches i guess duh.

lol, pretty much. The new expansion should be interesting for sure.

The current content is definitely a step back in playability for most people so it's hard to even bother playing regularly. Plus, there hasn't been anything done to address the content in a meaningful manner to support all jobs and the usual suspects in the pool decisions from the S-E team. The new expansion should be interesting enough to come back though.

Pietepiet

I picked up the Ultimate Edition as well on a Steam Sale to hold me over until ARR. Kind of a bummer to see so very few people walking around online, heh

Kokonoe

Banned
I picked up the Ultimate Edition as well on a Steam Sale to hold me over until ARR. Kind of a bummer to see so very few people walking around online, heh

If you go to Asura, I'll assist you and show you where people are at and etc. Asura is one of the more popular servers.

Pietepiet

Oh, for real? I signed up on Sylph cause of this thread, heh. Had no idea it'd be such a wasteland :p
Maybe I'll reroll on Asura then. Not sure

Kokonoe

Banned
Oh, for real? I signed up on Sylph cause of this thread, heh. Had no idea it'd be such a wasteland :p
Maybe I'll reroll on Asura then. Not sure

I'm quite knowledgeable of the game. Also, if you do come to Asura, I prefer if you go to San d'Oria as it's the most convenient place to start at as it has less walking. (Plus I like it more) So let me know if you do.

BLCKATK

How hard would be for a new player to join in? Amazon has got a deal on FFXI, thinking of playing while I wait for the beta/release of ARR.

iirate

How hard would be for a new player to join in? Amazon has got a deal on FFXI, thinking of playing while I wait for the beta/release of ARR.

I'm curious too - this was my first MMO and I haven't played in 7 years or so, but a friend and I were considering returning. We really loved the feel of teamwork in taking down even basic mobs.

Are the group dynamics and overall difficulty still in line with what it was all of those years ago?

Noaloha

Are the group dynamics and overall difficulty still in line with what it was all of those years ago?
Forgive me if I'm speaking out of line here -- please correct me if I'm wrong -- but my impressions after jumping back in a year or so ago were that the group dynamics of simply XP-grouping from Lv10 to end-game were vastly different. Much, much faster but, on the other side of that coin, astonishingly less fun. You enter an alliance in Gusgen Mines at Lv 14 or so and spam skeletons endlessly until you're level 33-ish, then you move to Crawler's Nest and do the same for twenty more levels, then you spam skill-up parties because your weapon is 200 points below your cap.

I don't want to paint an overly negative picture, but I felt that the current early and middle game of FFXI was a shadow of its earlier days. Sure, regular party EXP took an excessive amount of time. But it was social, fun, engaging, varied. Gear mattered (in a good way). It was a co-operative setting, rather than a free-for-all setting.

I hope I'm wrong and I just had a poor returning experience. This game has a very special place in my heart.

Toth

According to Kagari:

Nova Crystallis ‏@Nova_Crystallis

The next FFXI expansion is due out on 3/27/2013.

B.K.

It's pretty hard to get in to. It's easy to get up to level 99 now, but it's almost impossible to do all the old end game content. You never see anyone doing Nyzul, Dynamis, or missions for the old expansions. All everyone wants to do now is Voidwatch and Abyssea exp farming.

DrDogg

Quick question. I haven't played since they increased the cap from 75. If I were to come back now, would I basically be starting over?

I've been hesitant to come back because I'm concerned all the work I put in to get my endgame (75 cap) gear will have gone to waste. Is this the case? I have 7 jobs at 75 and I do not want to spend another 2+ years getting endgame gear for all of them.

Darryl

Banned

it's harder to figure out what to do and easier to do it :p

I'm curious too - this was my first MMO and I haven't played in 7 years or so, but a friend and I were considering returning. We really loved the feel of teamwork in taking down even basic mobs.

partying is largely skipped 1-99 and instead people join in on extremely boring alliance spamfests. the experience rate is much higher, though, so you get that over with nice and quick. once you're capped, there's much more content to duo. end game was pretty fun for small groups last time i played.

Quick question. I haven't played since they increased the cap from 75. If I were to come back now, would I basically be starting over?

I've been hesitant to come back because I'm concerned all the work I put in to get my endgame (75 cap) gear will have gone to waste. Is this the case? I have 7 jobs at 75 and I do not want to spend another 2+ years getting endgame gear for all of them.

your gear isn't going to become completely worthless, but there's replacements for everything you have probably. gear is a lot easier to get now and you can get gear for multiple jobs simultaneously (you get cards and jewels that drop off semi-NMs, each of those NMs drop those items for 3-4 jobs at once)

Kokonoe

Banned
Well, I played the game for a vast amount of time by myself so I know from first hand experience that if I had a tutor just for the intro, it would have sped things up quite a bit. I am a bit more daring and kept going at it and figured out things along the way through a ton of trial and error, but if anyone needs help on Asura server, I'll be more than happy to help.

According to Kagari:

Nova Crystallis ‏@Nova_Crystallis

The next FFXI expansion is due out on 3/27/2013.

Wow, so soon? Cool.

Forgive me if I'm speaking out of line here -- please correct me if I'm wrong -- but my impressions after jumping back in a year or so ago were that the group dynamics of simply XP-grouping from Lv10 to end-game were vastly different. Much, much faster but, on the other side of that coin, astonishingly less fun. You enter an alliance in Gusgen Mines at Lv 14 or so and spam skeletons endlessly until you're level 33-ish, then you move to Crawler's Nest and do the same for twenty more levels, then you spam skill-up parties because your weapon is 200 points below your cap.

I don't want to paint an overly negative picture, but I felt that the current early and middle game of FFXI was a shadow of its earlier days. Sure, regular party EXP took an excessive amount of time. But it was social, fun, engaging, varied. Gear mattered (in a good way). It was a co-operative setting, rather than a free-for-all setting.

I hope I'm wrong and I just had a poor returning experience. This game has a very special place in my heart.

The game is kind of in a transition state right now, and has been for the past year or so. Once they introduced abyssea, it really killed the midgame, and they have been adjusting things slowly to bring it up to speed. They havent quite found a way to make leveling outside of abyssea and grounds of valor alliances appealing again yet because of the sheer speed of it, but nothing is stopping you from making a small party with like minded friends and xping on a smaller scale in other zones. It's just not as viable to do that with random people.

DrDogg:

What darryl said about 75 cap gear is true, it's not worthless, but a lot of it is either situational, weaponskill only, or used as a component in an upgrade to better gear. Salvage just got new zones and upgrades, sky gear is upgradable, limbus gear is upgradable, relic gear is upgradable. Empyrean armor from abyssea is the new "baseline" you'll want to work towards before worrying about other stuff. I would recommend focusing on one or 2 jobs at a time after reaching the level cap on your favorite or most useful job. Between empyrean armor +2 and relic +2 you'll be off to a good start on any job.

http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Empyrean_Armor
http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Relic_+2

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Seems like they are rushing it. Out in 3 months, and we know almost nothing about it.

Be interesting to see where this goes, I can't imagine it was ever planned. I'm sure Square thought FFXi would be gone by now with everyone moving to XIV.

Caerith

So... a friend gifted me the Abyssea edition on Steam, maybe in hopes that I'd start playing again. I haven't played in, oh, three or four years? What's the third party app scene like? What are the recommended mods? Back then, Windower and SpellCast made life easier, I had fiddled around with .ini files to max out my draw distance, and there was some mod that changed status effect icons (but it was ugly so I didn't use it).

Is there a high res texture pack? Is Windower still pretty much necessary? How is the game holding up now that ten years have passed and they've invented shaders?

Kokonoe

Banned
Well, I've been crashing like crazy lately and I found out why, FFXI doesn't support the GTX 600 series of cards. A workaround I found is turning off weather effects, sadly. Doubt it'll ever be fixed, though.

Leaping

Neo Member
Well, I've been crashing like crazy lately and I found out why, FFXI doesn't support the GTX 600 series of cards. A workaround I found is turning off weather effects, sadly. Doubt it'll ever be fixed, though.

Have you tried activating the "Graphics Stabilization" option they added in the last update?

According to the reps, it was added specifically for the issues with that series.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/t...zation-optioin?p=387457&viewfull=1#post387457

Kokonoe

Banned
Is there a windower command for fps? I activated something a while back that displayed a red fps display but I have no clue what it was.

Seeing some weird drops in fps randomly. I'll be fine for hours and then all of the sudden very choppy.

B.K.

According to ffxiah, Seigyoku is the third most viewed player on Sylph!

I still wish I had ruined her wedding!

Noaloha

If anyone should (1) level a job 1-12, (2) in Ronfaure, (3) listening to Ween, tonight, please let me know. I'd like to send you a loveheart or three.

So this is what it's like to play on Sylph.

You transferred?

------------------------------------

In other news. While SoD still lives on, I've created a new social / light endgame shell called IHOP which I have been using to do events with some friends on Sylph. If anyone joining up needs someplace to hang out, I can toss you a pearl. SoD is empty but will never die, and backloggery is active as well. IHOP's current project is getting Seigyoku's Twashtar to 85.

If you want to get in touch with me I'll be on tonight after 7:30 EST. Character name pancakesandsx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom