• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2012 |OT| Ten years of Vana'diel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loona

It seems earning money is difficult considering most enemies don't seem to drop gil.

You get some from pages, and all beastmen (near Windurst that's goblins and yagudo) drop some.
There are some repeatable quests that can grant you some from drops near town (the wiki is priceless to check on this sort of thing, I'd post the link, but using the phone now) - keep in mind that selling stuff on the auxtion house in some cases pays off a LOT better than quests, namely for yagudo necklaces and stacks of silk threads (drop from crawlers).

Basically, when something drops look it up on the wiki and ffxiah.com to make the best of it.

Emitan

I do have some of those necklaces. They don't stack and NPCs won't buy them so I should have known to look them up.

EDIT: NPCs wont buy them not sell them

Loona

I do have some of those necklaces. They don't stack and NPCs won't sell them so I should have known to look them up.

There's a lot you can do with them: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Yagudo_Necklace

If you have 4 of them, trading them to Nanaa Mihgo at Windurst Woods (the Mihgo's Amigo quest) nets you 200 gil and helps raise your Tenshodo reputation (the Tenshodo is an organization with some presence in all cities, with some quests of its own, mostly relevant if you intend to level ninja or summoner) - and for this latter reason people often resort to this quest, which has the effect of getting people to buy the necklaces at the auction house to turn them in for the quest at a loss. I'm on the Leviathan server, and there people pay 1000 gil per necklace, but you can check it in yours here: http://www.ffxiah.com/item/498/yagudo-necklace

The other alternate use, should you develop an interest in crafting, is using wind or thunder crystals to extract raw materials for low levels crafts.

Wonderfully flexible items, no wonder the NPCs won't buy them, there's way too much that can be done with them to waste them like that.

Loona

Oooh nice. I have been thinking about trying summoner so that's good to hear.

In that case I might as well elaborate on how these things are connected: like I mentioned, there's a reputation system associated with quests - each city assigns you a reputation rating that increases as you complete quests for that city (and some closely related ones, like Selbina for Bastok and Mhaura for Windurst, IIRC), with the reputation of all starter cities contributing to Jeuno (hub city, at the center of the game's geographical 3-way simmetry) reputation - you want to raise this as it'll unlock quests to increase your inventory (look up "gobbiebag").

Like I mentioned, there's an organization called Tenshodo with a few representatives in all the main cities, and doing quests for them increases reputation with them, but their "capital" is in a smaller city called Norg, inside a cave in the Elshimo lowlands - getting there will involve a quest to be able to access the airship to that island (different from the requirements to access airships between the starter cities and Jeuno) and navigating a labyrintic jungle.
Norg quests run entirely on Tenshodo reputation, and you'll need level 4 reputation to access the quest to get Leviathan as an avatar for summoner, IIRC.

All the other avatar quests can be accessed in different cities (I think you need some reputation to access those, so questing is important), most of which are easier to reach than Norg - the NPCs that handle them are usually a taru along with a member of a taller race. The taru can give the quest to beat the Prime version of the avatar to adquire it on any job, while the taller NPC will only give a quest if you're a summoner at level 20 or above - that specific version of the quest involves fighting a special avatar battle at level 20 (I think you're level-capped for that, I haven't done that version), but can teleport you to the location of the battle, but with the constraints on that version,, it may require some considerable preparation.

Personally, I've always preferred to do as many different quests as possible (I like to see the stories, and there are plenty of connections between a lot of them when you lest expect them), which ends up raising reputation neatly over time, but there are also quite a few repeatable ones, which I don't think add up as much per repetition, but'll help you reach any specific access goals you may have, the wiki has a quick reputation guide which covers practically all areas you might need.

Ah, to look back and remember I unlocked the bard and beastmaster jobs to raise Jeuno reputation for the gobbiebag quests...
For Tenshodo/Norg reputation, once I had airship access, what I resorted to a lot was the smuggling quest from San d'Oria, which took no toll on my inventory (unlike the zinc ore one from Bastok and necklaces one at Windurst) and got me 1000 gil every time I succeeded, though that requires some main mission progress.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Summoner is not a good first job, mainly because you are unlikely to get all the avatars until you have another job at a higher level. It's a lot more fun leveling Summoner with all the avatars, than just Carbuncle.

Loona

Summoner is not a good first job, mainly because you are unlikely to get all the avatars until you have another job at a higher level. It's a lot more fun leveling Summoner with all the avatars, than just Carbuncle.

White mage is still a decent sub for that, as is red mage (now that Refresh works as a subjob skill), so it should be reasonable to focus on those until soloing Prime avatars is possible.

I've only recently dabbled in summoner, but I think perpetuation and blood pact cost is higher on non-Carbuncle avatars, right?
I ended up gravitating towards Carby even if I already had everyone else (except Alexander, whom I'm not high level enough to use anyway), but I admit I didn't spend time comparing that sort of data, it just seemed natural to focus on the starting option while trying to skill up Summoning Magic.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
White mage is really the only sub job you need. Unless your gear is very lacking and you need the refresh from /rdm.

Loona

White mage is really the only sub job you need. Unless your gear is very lacking and you need the refresh from /rdm.

Seems likely, but I haven't quite got the hang of summoner yet, let alone know how it works at high end gameplay outside Abyssea (there are ways to never run out of MP there) - I know SMN gets some -Perpetuation gear, but I'm not sure how viable it is to keep an avatar out all the time without a very directed effort towards that goal.
Thus my impression that RDM's Refresh might be useful - I've seen some use Scholar too, since that gets its own bag of MP tricks.

I don't know why but I resubbed to this game. Made a new character so I'm level 5 mithra Red Mage named Emitans on Sylph who has no idea what to do other than those tutorial quests in town.

Hey, hit me up for a pearl tonight. I'll be on after 6 or so EST.

Loona - what server are you on?

Loona

Loona - what server are you on?

Leviathan (formerly Remora) - my offline friends have a tendency to resub and unsub on random months there.

Finally taking my ranger to Gusgen - luckily, I have this belt that dispenses stacks of 99 bullets while giving a bonus to ranged accuracy; unfortunately, it can only spit out such a stack once per Earth day, and you can run out of bullets rather quickly when you're trying to skill up Marksmanship.
So thanks to latent inventory issues, I think I'll have to log out of parties when I run out of bullets as long as Marksmanship isn't fully skilled for tthe current level, and never use Scavenge so my inventory won't fill up with even more stuff I can't use anytime soon. At least I'll be able to sell some more gear by the time I ding 34 on that job (got a nice gun for that level, my current one is level 6 for RNG only...).
I guess it's an interesting way to pace my playtime.

beersofwar

Neo Member
well after a 6 year or so break i decided to pick this up again, mostly because i got the itch after playing the ffxiv beta. its amazing how much this game has changed over the years. unfortunately i couldnt get my old character back so im starting from scratch but other than the lack of gil it doesnt seem that bad.

Almyn

well after a 6 year or so break i decided to pick this up again, mostly because i got the itch after playing the ffxiv beta. its amazing how much this game has changed over the years. unfortunately i couldnt get my old character back so im starting from scratch but other than the lack of gil it doesnt seem that bad.

Hey, Me too, Also because of FFXIV beta :) Started from scratch this morning, As a rdm in windurst. Are you on Sylph?

beersofwar

Neo Member
Hey, Me too, Also because of FFXIV beta :) Started from scratch this morning, As a rdm in windurst. Are you on Sylph?

im on valefor. would have rolled on sylph but i still have friends who already have characters on that server that started playing again too. good thing is, my friend quit when the gil inflation was crazy so now that hes back he has a crazy amount of gil. thank god because starting from scratch with no gil kinda sucks

beersofwar

Neo Member
at one time we were running bcnm 20 for mannequin hands and selling them for 3 mil a pop. i had a ton of gil on my old monk but couldnt recover the character. oh well

Almyn

How much do you need for magic? I've been spending most of my FFXI time making gil on the AH, so I've got a little to spare.

I've actually managed to buy everything I need now, But thanks for the offer. I made about 10k on the AH, Selling silk, Crystals and other random stuff. I even had enough to buy a new set of armour :)

Kokonoe

Banned
Okay, I have an odd question for anyone that has done Nyzul Isle Uncharted and is familiar somewhat with it. I have never attempted it it before, but I was wanting to know with a rag tag party would I be able to get up to at least floor 20?

Or what if it was a non emp/mythic/relic DRG with 3 other DDs and 2 SCH with the usual method, how far would I get like that?

I know the lower tier armor isn't good. Well, the level 60 stuff can be kinda good like those pants with 4 haste so I'm just trying to see what all I Can do without emp/mythic/relic.

In other news, I know I never thought I'd get this far, but I've been working on a Empyrean by myself and with a some shout parties I'm on the part where you farm Carabosse for the Masamune. So I suppose I'm so close, yet, so far.

Azuran

Banned
Okay, I have an odd question for anyone that has done Nyzul Isle Uncharted and is familiar somewhat with it. I have never attempted it it before, but I was wanting to know with a rag tag party would I be able to get up to at least floor 20?

Or what if it was a non emp/mythic/relic DRG with 3 other DDs and 2 SCH with the usual method, how far would I get like that?

I know the lower tier armor isn't good. Well, the level 60 stuff can be kinda good like those pants with 4 haste so I'm just trying to see what all I Can do without emp/mythic/relic.

In other news, I know I never thought I'd get this far, but I've been working on a Empyrean by myself and with a some shout parties I'm on the part where you farm Carabosse for the Masamune. So I suppose I'm so close, yet, so far.

I gone as Almace BLU to NNI and I done fine. Don't quote me on this, but I assume DRG would do a lot better since they're not as attack starved. From the few times that I done it, teamwork and good communication skills are a better asset in that event.

It's not as scary as you think. Here's some advice:

Bring jobs that can be self sufficient for short periods of time and can solo EP mobs on their own quickly. War, Sam, Blu, Drk all excel. You can get away with thf as well just make sure you're well coordinated. You don't need R/M/E to win, but it helps.

One sam is highly recommended for the Circle ability on the final boss. He's a demon type and that increases your damage by a lot, and intimidates him. Every second counts on him and that ability can save several.

You would be better off setting the stopper at 100, and seeing how high you can get, then trying to beat that record the next run than you would aiming for low tiers. Shoot for the stars.

You will get bad runs, bad floors, bad lamps, bad jumps. Take it in stride and don't get discouraged. It gets easier after your first win.

The monsters are all fairly squishy, but some of them take special damage (like this one custard that has high PDT) so you want to be able to deal with that on the fly as quickly as possible. These are things you'll get used to after several encounters.

Make sure you discuss a lamp strategy ahead of time, and that everyone is on board with it. It may take several runs to iron out the kinks, but if you have a set plan for how to deal with things, and everyone knows what it is, it makes things easier to handle.

Loona

The game's music is great throughout, but nothings stands out to me in WotG except for the Campaign battle theme, which is supposed to.
I do like that past Gustaberg gets something with a lighter mood than the present version's dry, scraping-for-survival tone.

I really need to get my WotG missions and quests done - currently on Crossroads of Time, I wonder how viable it is to progress solo nowdays (monk main, no empyrian)...

beersofwar

Neo Member
luckily i was able to recover my old character. logged into whitegate wearing nothing but a mandragora hat, my AF knuckles, 8 stacks of rock salt in my inventory (wtf?), and a whopping 86 gil to my name.

if i remember right, i put everything i owned (o kotes, brown belt, ect ) in my bazaar for 1 gil each. wasnt planning on coming back at the time. that was real dumb in hindsight.

Jijidasu

Thanks for the tips guys, I greatly appreciate it.

That would be Treasures of Aht Urghan.

I agree with this!

I haven't played FFXI for years but I keep all the OST's on my creative inspiration playlist. I'm a little disappointed that the new expansion's OST isn't so big but hey, at least it's coming.

Geez listening to the OSTs yesterday after reading the comments here almost bought me to tears. :lol

So beautiful, 8 years straight playing the game obviously I've got some deep emotional attachments to this thing.

Have been 'out' for over a year now, but was always coming back for new avatars/new expansion which ever came first. :p

Despite having experienced every aspect the game offered over the years playing I just lost interest after Abyssea, everything else seemed dumb in comparison to its glory/funness and I couldn't go back.

I'm in the same boat. Played from JP PS2 launch to a couple years ago. This game will forever have a special place in my heart. <3

Still deciding if I'll be back for Adoulin. Is there a planned release window yet? If it's sooner rather than later, I'll probably wait a little while to jump into XIV.

Seigyoku

I'm in the same boat. Played from JP PS2 launch to a couple years ago. This game will forever have a special place in my heart. <3

Still deciding if I'll be back for Adoulin. Is there a planned release window yet? If it's sooner rather than later, I'll probably wait a little while to jump into XIV.

SoA is out 3/27. Well if memory serves, we can d/l the 26th and the update where it will go live is the 27th :p

So like 19 days, soon enough? ^_^;

Oh jesus I thought it was still a few months out at the earliest haha. Have not been paying attention. :3

Maybe Rockman will finally come out of retirement...gonna be so far behind if he does ;_;

Kokonoe

Banned
Well if there's one thing we can all agree on, FFXI's OST is flippin' phenomenal.

Also: I think I'm going to level up BLU and see if I can Charge Whiskers 1 shot 3 Carabosse at the same time, I hear Charge Whiskers during a brew does insane damage. If I had WildFire I'd be doing that.

currently at 10 Carabosse Gems. I can solo now that I got the DT hat, it only takes me about 20-30 minutes to solo Carabosse with my BST.

I agree with this!

I haven't played FFXI for years but I keep all the OST's on my creative inspiration playlist. I'm a little disappointed that the new expansion's OST isn't so big but hey, at least it's coming.

So much. Best expansion in the game by far. Brought some much awesome content to the game.

The Nashmau theme alone beats whole soundtracks from several other games <3

There is still hope in this world.

Really, I am really saddened sometimes that I never got to experience White Gate when it was the most popular area as I was a newbie when that happened, well I got to see all the people in the town when I first got there, but I never adventured as I was too low and didn't know where to go. White Gate is my favorite town and Aht Urghan is my favorite areas in the game, love the clothing attire and everything else about it.

Loona

I still use WG as a homepoint - it may not be as lively as before, but with the warp taru, VW NPCs and the mog locker not far from the mog house, it's pretty easy to access any area or possession from there as a starting point - for shout-checking, I just make sure to keep the appropriate FFXIAH.com page open in a browser.

Kokonoe

Banned
I still use WG as a homepoint - it may not be as lively as before, but with the warp taru, VW NPCs and the mog locker not far from the mog house, it's pretty easy to access any area or possession from there as a starting point - for shout-checking, I just make sure to keep the appropriate FFXIAH.com page open in a browser.

I did that for awhile too, but I had no ways to warp. Wait...are you saying there are voidwatch warpers there? Atmacite refiner for teleportation? I can't find em.

Loona

I did that for awhile too, but I had no ways to warp. Wait...are you saying there are voidwatch warpers there? Atmacite refiner for teleportation? I can't find em.

They're outdoors, but it's a really short walk - you know the door near the pier where the Mhaura boat arrives?
They're right outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom