• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2012 |OT| Ten years of Vana'diel

Status
Not open for further replies.

creid

In other news. While SoD still lives on, I've created a new social / light endgame shell called IHOP which I have been using to do events with some friends on Sylph. If anyone joining up needs someplace to hang out, I can toss you a pearl. SoD is empty but will never die, and backloggery is active as well. IHOP's current project is getting Seigyoku's Twashtar to 85.

If you want to get in touch with me I'll be on tonight after 7:30 EST. Character name pancakesandsx.
Man, I've really got to get on that Backloggery shell. After my friend quit I basically stopped playing, and there's not much a lv31 WAR can do alone.

Is there going to be a 2013 OT?

I'll whip something up when Adoulin is closer.

I might actually not be on till later tonight, possible Django showing, but I can get you a pearl for ihop, SoD, and ask someone to get you a BL pearl.

Seigyoku

I fractured my right wrist hence laaaate replies.

According to ffxiah, Seigyoku is the third most viewed player on Sylph!

I still wish I had ruined her wedding!

Dunno how the former happened that day, as I know I only looked at my page once.

As to the latter... with how the marriage turned out. /sigh

I still would have killed you.

So this is what it's like to play on Sylph.

Actually fairly representative of what happens when they're all on!

Kandinsky

I must be confusing Koko with someone else, I thought she was at one point on Sylph but transfered to Odin or some other server.

You transferred?

------------------------------------

In other news. While SoD still lives on, I've created a new social / light endgame shell called IHOP which I have been using to do events with some friends on Sylph. If anyone joining up needs someplace to hang out, I can toss you a pearl. SoD is empty but will never die, and backloggery is active as well. IHOP's current project is getting Seigyoku's Twashtar to 85.

If you want to get in touch with me I'll be on tonight after 7:30 EST. Character name pancakesandsx.

I got a pearl for SoD from Panama, but I think I'm pretty much the only one ever on. I'll bug you for an IHOP pearl for Solvos sometime soon.

Just hit 70 on DRK tonight. Need to prep a bit for Maat.

I got a pearl for SoD from Panama, but I think I'm pretty much the only one ever on. I'll bug you for an IHOP pearl for Solvos sometime soon.

Yeah send me a tell when you see me around. If I don't respond it might be due to chat spam or I'm AFK.

Sorry I missed you today Freyja, I can get you tomorrow though. I have limbus at 9 EST tomorrow so I'll be around jeuno just before then and I can get you!

What time zone are you in? Are you on EU time or something?

Leunam

Still need to prep for Maat? I've got a Hauby you can use that someone lent me for my Maat fight (also on DRK).

i want a pearl just for the color. what are you guys fighting these days pancake?

You're welcome to one if you wanna just use it to chill whenever or come hang out on tuesdays, just hit me up.

We are working on a few empys (4 in the works at the moment, 3 partially completed) and getting folks who need it up to speed gear wise. Plan for the next few weeks is aby gear focused, then we'll go back to one of the empys.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Before my subscription went out I got this done at least.

Provenance Watcher Kill on Asura FFXI Youtube

No, not yet. I may do so in the next month or so, but I was referring to the silly stuff they were saying, heh. I am a little motivated to do so, but I don't have a subscription right now anyways so maybe when the expansion hits.

Providence Watcher is a fun fight.

In other news, I've hit 7000/30000 alexandrite for a mythic!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Nirvana right?, transfer to Sylph and I'll give you 3 alexs!

I've already server transferred for an item. Seriously. I wanted the Spurrina Gages for my SMN and hexed Gages -1 aren't a very common synth. Ended up getting them for 25m on Odin, which was a pretty good deal actually.

jae

Recently reactivated to get fully expansion ready. All my friends on Fenrir have vanished, whats the scene on Sylph looking like? Might come back over.

xxczx

I spent the better part of the day downloading updates for this game just to play the free trial to see if I want to buy the collection off Steam and my laptop crashes and it has to start all over again...

If I just buy it from Steam will I still have to go through this annoying update

Kokonoe

Banned
Weird. Double XP event
Wl8NUZo.jpg

(not including Abyssea)
UaZzJzI.jpg

Still kinda good I suppose.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Mog Bonanza is Back!

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/guide/mogbon/index.html

They've only added a few things as far as I can tell. No new cursed gear, no new salvage gear.

Sagasinger - A rare sword drop from Arch Dynamis Lord (my LS does several arch DL's a week and we've only seen 2 of them)

Meteor
Arise

Think it's funny that the sword is a rank 1 item. It's not that good, and arch dynamis lord isn't exactly a tough kill anymore. But, they still think Ridill is rank 1 worthy, so who knows.

Also think it's odd that the 10,000 piece relic pieces still show up as rank 1. Why would anyone get those, instead of just getting a upgraded lvl 90 relic (though, honesty, anyone who wins the mog Bonanza and doesn't get a mythic is an idiot). They have the 30,000 piece Alexandrite on rank 2, why not the relic currency one as well.

Kokonoe

Banned
Mog Bonanza is Back!

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/guide/mogbon/index.html

They've only added a few things as far as I can tell. No new cursed gear, no new salvage gear.

Sagasinger - A rare sword drop from Arch Dynamis Lord (my LS does several arch DL's a week and we've only seen 2 of them)

Meteor
Arise

Think it's funny that the sword is a rank 1 item. It's not that good, and arch dynamis lord isn't exactly a tough kill anymore. But, they still think Ridill is rank 1 worthy, so who knows.

Also think it's odd that the 10,000 piece relic pieces still show up as rank 1. Why would anyone get those, instead of just getting a upgraded lvl 90 relic (though, honesty, anyone who wins the mog Bonanza and doesn't get a mythic is an idiot). They have the 30,000 piece Alexandrite on rank 2, why not the relic currency one as well.

Well, there was that one guy who got the Relic Bow instead a few months ago...

I spent the better part of the day downloading updates for this game just to play the free trial to see if I want to buy the collection off Steam and my laptop crashes and it has to start all over again...

If I just buy it from Steam will I still have to go through this annoying update

Yes.

friz898

Hey Guys,

Me and a buddy of mine just resubbed over the weekend and havent played since 2005. We have read the returning player faq. We read about the fov/gov books. We have our destrier berets. We know to go to Abyssea at 30. And we know that something called alliance leveling has replaced 6 man groups.

Here is what we dont know.

How in the world do we get any money for spells and gear from 1-30 until I guess gear becomes plentiful in Abyssea. We are level 10 wearing our starter clothes (ouch War job) and missing spells (ouch my White Mage)

Thanks for any help....

Edit: Also, I am for sure doing WHM. What is the best two or so subs for this? I think when I left in 2005 it was BLM and Summoner. Also my buddy wants to be the best tank... He wasnt sure if it was still war/mnk till Ninja. He also thought about paladin. Any thoughts?

creid

How in the world do we get any money for spells and gear from 1-30 until I guess gear becomes plentiful in Abyssea. We are level 10 wearing our starter clothes (ouch War job) and missing spells (ouch my White Mage)
I used to sell crystals on the AH, and when your account is old enough you can sell the stuff that this guy gives.

Loona

Here is what we dont know.

The FoV books should help you get some gil - when in doubt, for WHM focus on the cures and Shellra, Protectra and their respective upgrades. Some scrolls drop off some beastmen (Deodorize, Sneak and Invisible come to mind), so for those, just keep killing the relevant mobs until you get the drop, you'll get some puny gil and stuff you can sell or use in quests along the way.
For melee jobs, the most important thing to upgrade is the weapon, shield too if you're going to tank.

I favor questing my gear whenever possible, since I have completist tendencies on that regard, and that's a way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Edit: Also, I am for sure doing WHM. What is the best two or so subs for this? I think when I left in 2005 it was BLM and Summoner. Also my buddy wants to be the best tank... He wasnt sure if it was still war/mnk till Ninja. He also thought about paladin. Any thoughts?

Early on BLM works well for the extra MP and some of the spells, later on RDM (Refresh) and SCH should work well too.
Some of the black magic spell all those jobs use are also common drops, so what I said above still applies.

I'm a bit split as to whether to bother to resub for that extra XP weekend, I've been away for a while... if it lasted longer...

A few months ago I was inclined to try and get some stuff done, like finishing the WotG story before the new expansion came along, but I always get side tracked (pending quests, jobs to level, shout-checking for things I might complete along the way) and eventually got a bit demotivated and cancelled (to me more accurate, didn't renovate my credit card info, which had been recently replaced). Not sure if I still have the drive to take advantage of this...

Part of the issue is I'm always struggling with inventory space, and it's not less of an issue while levelling, with all the stuff that drops during a session. it would take a really concentrated effort, and maybe resubbing and taking care of some stuff a bit before the weekend so that the actual days can be spent levelling in starting areas and Gusgen without a lot of stops to drop and sell stuff.

And when the extra EXP weekend is done, there's still the clearing of inventory space for the Mog Bonanza, right?...

friz898

Those who have replied, thanks for your help.

I passed on the information to my buddy.

We're excited about this double exp weekend. We didnt even know it was going on until we resubbed, and then I read that this is their very first one? Wow!

Surely it wont give double exp on Book rewards too. 700something for killing 4 lvl 10 lizards seems too op'ed!

Loona

In the previous reply I forgot to point out paladin as the de facto tank, but who knows what the endgame folk are doing on that front nowadays...

Caved in and resubbed yesterday - I've got quite a few polearms in my inventory from occasional NM drops but never touched my DRG, so I figure the double EXP should help me take care of that.

Minor question though: mage (likely BLU), hybrid (DRK?) or melee (likely WAR) sub for DRG in a Gusgen alliance?

Leunam

You're going to be running through mobs so quick with everyone a sub might not matter much. I would take BLU so you can heal yourself.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
In the previous reply I forgot to point out paladin as the de facto tank, but who knows what the endgame folk are doing on that front nowadays...

Caved in and resubbed yesterday - I've got quite a few polearms in my inventory from occasional NM drops but never touched my DRG, so I figure the double EXP should help me take care of that.

Minor question though: mage (likely BLU), hybrid (DRK?) or melee (likely WAR) sub for DRG in a Gusgen alliance?

Paladin still tanks some stuff, but a relic and empyrian shield are not really optional for endgame purposes.

creid

Got my WAR from 31-50 in about 2 hours, even though it turns out that double XP doesn't help much when you get all your XP from pages. These limit breaks don't look like much fun.

Have they said if Seekers of Adoulin is getting a 'physical release' for PAL yet? I've seen the 360 one listed on Amazon US but honestly can't find any mention of a PAL version. :(

Emitan

I don't know why but I resubbed to this game. Made a new character so I'm level 5 mithra Red Mage named Emitans on Sylph who has no idea what to do other than those tutorial quests in town.

Loona

Got my bonanza marbles today - been levelling up my lowest jobs so I can feel better about selling off old low level gear I had laying around, by way of no longer having jobs low enough to need those pieces.
When SoA and its new jobs come along, I guess I'll just manage with event gear, I've seen people wear that at Gusgen...

That's what I'm doing!

Are you using the books outdoors to maximize the exp?

I don't feel protected...

You can probably buy stuff with better protetion in every way with conquest points.

Emitan

Got my bonanza marbles today - been levelling up my lowest jobs so I can feel better about selling off old low level gear I had laying around, by way of no longer having jobs low enough to need those pieces.
When SoA and its new jobs come along, I guess I'll just manage with event gear, I've seen people wear that at Gusgen...

Are you using the books outdoors to maximize the exp?

You can probably buy stuff with better protetion in every way with conquest points.

Yeah I'm using books. Haven't tried spending conquest points yet.

Level 12 and I need new gear. I didn't see any armor of weapons I could buy with conquest points.

Emitan

I could blow a ton of gil on a good sword right now... I really have no idea what I should be doing about my gear.

EDIT: Bought a shield...

Loona

I could blow a ton of gil on a good sword right now... I really have no idea what I should be doing about my gear.

EDIT: Bought a shield...

If your plan is to stick to red mage, focus on gear you can use on other mage jobs you might use as subjobs, it spares you the expense of buying new gear for those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom