• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2012 |OT| Ten years of Vana'diel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susurrus

I wanted to play again, I really did. I even am subscribing a couple months. Problem is, I can't get any help with the last limit break. I'm lvl 95 and stuck there :(

Azuran

Banned
Red Mage
No, I tried to get it solo but died after a long battle and got discouraged.
Japan time Tuesday/Thursday nights and sometimes on the weekend. On Ragnarok though.

You can buy the fang and bone from other players if you check bazaars or shout for it. However, you're gonna have to farm a second seasoning stone. I find the crabs in Dangruf Wadi to be the best targets for farming them.

As for the fight itself, grab a couple of DD like WAR and MNK, use the tail and the fight will be over in less than a minute. The item makes it a complete joke.

Nakazato

Damn i just started listening to the FFXI soundtrack so many memories. Wish i could be 15 again playing this all day on summers break :(.

Had a random memory of me pulling in in GC and falling down a hole and get murked by 45-50 mobs... Good times with good friends.

MistaPita

Would you say that Brawny Adargas are worth buying for someone who is sporting a mediocre pair of augmented Savate fists and not really close to either WoE nor empyreal weapon?
Technically I have access to the NM but practically the AH seems more feasible.

Shouta

Brawny are just about the best choice outside of doing the Elemental Paths if you don't have a WoE, Empyrean, or the Mythic. It's got good stats to boot so.

Leunam

QAv4W.png

Thanks to everyone who let me borrow stuff and helped farm testimonies. Huge, huge help.

First Neo Nyzul 100 clear last night. 14 more to go! Samurai circle and debuff abilities let you rock the shit out of the boss.

Went with Thaumas kecks as my first prize ^^

Loona

how is this game doing?

all the new stuff good?

Levelling got a whole lot easier, the latest endgame activities (thinking Abyssea and Voidwatch here) have ways to give (different) rewards to everyone involved and tend to give more EXP back than older ones used to subtract, which in turn makes it simpler to focus on the parts of the game you care most about.

I'm under the impression there's some inflation, since gear for the mid-levels isn't as important anymore, and a lot of good endgame stuff comes from NM drops and can't be bought at the AH, so if you're levelling melee classes your major concenr should be to keep skills up to date as possible, mages tend to have to worry mor about buying the high-end scrolls when they can't be there when they drop or are in chests.

zlatko

Banned
Levelling got a whole lot easier, the latest endgame activities (thinking Abyssea and Voidwatch here) have ways to give (different) rewards to everyone involved and tend to give more EXP back than older ones used to subtract, which in turn makes it simpler to focus on the parts of the game you care most about.

I'm under the impression there's some inflation, since gear for the mid-levels isn't as important anymore, and a lot of good endgame stuff comes from NM drops and can't be bought at the AH, so if you're levelling melee classes your major concenr should be to keep skills up to date as possible, mages tend to have to worry mor about buying the high-end scrolls when they can't be there when they drop or are in chests.

What's the current tier list of classes? As in what is the most sought after for each role?

I heard a while back that SAM is no longer the fucking shit at DD, and that even PUP was a better choice as a DD now. o_O

Loona

I'm not as immersed in the game as before, but on the DD front WAR is consistently used for a lot of things, from raw damage to weapon variety for NM procs in abýssea and VW (for procs, NIN covers what WAR doesn't), but generally all classes are useful.

Mages seem pretty even, but WHM seems to have become the undisputed king of the healing role, as it should.

If there's an exception nowadays it's likely RDM, which once could solo the game, but whose jack-of-all-trades role is havig a hard time keeping up with the bumps the other jobs got with the raised level caps, and especially considering the Geomancer job for the new expansion will also specialize in enfeebles.

But really, just go with a job you like and focus on it, and it'll find a place in the game, while hopefully raising skill that are useful for other jobs and accumulating some gear that other jobs can benefit from too.

A couple of friends of mine nowadays are duoing (she's DRG, he's WHM) whole mission lines (most recently ToAU) thanks to the raised level cap with minimal dabbling in endgame stuff for the sake of gearing up, so I figure nowadays for most things it's not that important to be perceived as optimal to get stuff done, unless you're trying that new-ish Legion thing, which apparently is an intentionally hard even for the age of level 99.

Joei

A couple of friends of mine nowadays are duoing (she's DRG, he's WHM) whole mission lines (most recently ToAU) thanks to the raised level cap with minimal dabbling in endgame stuff for the sake of gearing up, so I figure nowadays for most things it's not that important to be perceived as optimal to get stuff done, unless you're trying that new-ish Legion thing, which apparently is an intentionally hard even for the age of level 99.

I think this is one of the reasons I'm enjoying the game now more than before. I've read people say the game is "easier" now because of the level increase and rebalancing they've done, but I say it's not necessarily easier, just more accessible. Many of the things I couldn't do before, I can do now because you don't need 18-man alliances with set specific jobs and groups, at a set time, etc. I can log on anytime now and find something to do, whether it's a dynamis farm/(Mega Boss) run, a set of Voidwatch battles (though those are harder to come by for the lower-tier and can need an 18-man /sh alliance), or just to do some shouts to finish a mission that needs two or three people. It's past the days of an 18-man Divine Might run that could easily go south. And if you want something more challenging, some of those later VW battles can be extremely tough and do require a little more planning and job-selection, as well as the Legion battles.

As for the jobs question in the previous post, just play whatever you find most enjoyable. No one can really do LOLDRG anymore, everyone can contribute.

What's the current tier list of classes? As in what is the most sought after for each role?

I heard a while back that SAM is no longer the fucking shit at DD, and that even PUP was a better choice as a DD now. o_O

That's just not true at all, SAM WAR and DRK are still the top DD's. Everything is situational though.

Kokonoe

Banned
I may be mistaken, but didn't they recently release a mega collection containing all the songs from FFXI in one package?

MistaPita

Any of you farming dynamis these days? I want a pair of melee gaiters to upgrade to +2 as well as a lot of forgotten items (touch, journey & step)
Anyone interested?

Any of you farming dynamis these days? I want a pair of melee gaiters to upgrade to +2 as well as a lot of forgotten items (touch, journey & step)
Anyone interested?

What jobs do you have available? I get a few friends together off and on for xp and split currency, I could give you a heads up. Do you have access to all the zones?

zlatko

Banned
That's just not true at all, SAM WAR and DRK are still the top DD's. Everything is situational though.

Okay that's sort of good to hear.

I was thinking of if I come back that I'd opt to roll to max as a WAR or a MNK for DD. Just not sure how they pan out. Is WAR/NIN still the best combination for WAR along with dual axes or?

MistaPita

I was thinking of if I come back that I'd opt to roll to max as a WAR or a MNK for DD. Just not sure how they pan out. Is WAR/NIN still the best combination for WAR along with dual axes or?

If you see someone with dual axes is most likely a bst these days. War are using great axes with sam sub mostly.
Both mnk and war are great in abyssea. I enjoy tanking on mnk while pumping out some serious damage and war destroys shit

war/sam with a gaxe is going to get you the highest damage output in an endgame situation. Subbing dnc or something is good for solo. Dnc gets dual wield on sub now too if you want to mess with axes, but gaxe is the way to go if you're serious about warrior.

Search some warrior 6-hit tp builds on the AH to see how people are gearing themselves to get a better idea of how the job is played now.

zlatko

Banned
war/sam with a gaxe is going to get you the highest damage output in an endgame situation. Subbing dnc or something is good for solo. Dnc gets dual wield on sub now too if you want to mess with axes, but gaxe is the way to go if you're serious about warrior.

Search some warrior 6-hit tp builds on the AH to see how people are gearing themselves to get a better idea of how the job is played now.

Great! I prefer the Gaxe method with WAR, and I was just hoping to avoid /THF as I dislike leveling that job a great deal. I also dislike leveling NIN since the cost of tools always made me want to throw up, and then trying to tank with dumb groups in those earlier levels was just brutal and a constant death bananza without a plvler to help out. :(

What are the necessary subjobs to level for WAR and for MNK?

Great! I prefer the Gaxe method with WAR, and I was just hoping to avoid /THF as I dislike leveling that job a great deal. I also dislike leveling NIN since the cost of tools always made me want to throw up, and then trying to tank with dumb groups in those earlier levels was just brutal and a constant death bananza without a plvler to help out. :(

What are the necessary subjobs to level for WAR and for MNK?

sam nin and dnc for sure. When was the last time you played? It sounds like you might be in for quite the surprise when you play again. Leveling is no longer an absolute chore like it used to be.

zlatko

Banned
sam nin and dnc for sure. When was the last time you played? It sounds like you might be in for quite the surprise when you play again. Leveling is no longer an absolute chore like it used to be.

Back when WotG came out. Maybe played for 2ish 3ish months post release of that expansion.

I've read up/heard about all the changes to how fast leveling is and how piss easy things like CoP missions are.

My biggest hesitancy to joining FFXI again is how fuck awful the economy was and that I struggled so much to afford decent gear. :(

Shouta

Most of the good gear is from drops now so it's not too bad to get yourself up to snuff. The top-end stuff can be tricky depending on what it is. Now that Tanaka is gone again, hopefully the game takes a more all-encompassing approach like Abyssea had again. Plus it'd nice to have events where folks didn't ask for Empyrean or Relic equipped DDs.

zlatko

Banned
Most of the good gear is from drops now so it's not too bad to get yourself up to snuff. The top-end stuff can be tricky depending on what it is. Now that Tanaka is gone again, hopefully the game takes a more all-encompassing approach like Abyssea had again. Plus it'd nice to have events where folks didn't ask for Empyrean or Relic equipped DDs.

I think I'll hold off from jumping in again until I see how FFXIV 2.0 pans out. If it blows up in SE's face again, then I'll go back to XI if the new expansion is amazing sounding, or I may stick with GW2 if it remains engrossing.

Back when WotG came out. Maybe played for 2ish 3ish months post release of that expansion.

I've read up/heard about all the changes to how fast leveling is and how piss easy things like CoP missions are.

My biggest hesitancy to joining FFXI again is how fuck awful the economy was and that I struggled so much to afford decent gear. :(

It's a completely different game. Forget everything you know. Story content is basically 2-3 man content now. WoTG can be trioed to completion. Extreme difficulty still exists, it's just changed locations to non-storyline content.

I suggest reading the new/returning player guides and stuff in the OP to get re-acquainted.

Shouta

I think I'll hold off from jumping in again until I see how FFXIV 2.0 pans out. If it blows up in SE's face again, then I'll go back to XI if the new expansion is amazing sounding, or I may stick with GW2 if it remains engrossing.

Yeah, I'm actually doing XIV right now to get ready for 2.0 because that's coming sooner than Adoulin. There's not as much for me to do in XI right now. Voidwatch is nice but PUGs are somewhat annoying with class requirements at times, and everything else I really need some dedicated help. I've got jobs to level up in XIV, crafting, and story content to go through there and it's in a fairly playable state which is pretty nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom