• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2012 |OT| Ten years of Vana'diel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azuran

Banned
Well if there's one thing we can all agree on, FFXI's OST is flippin' phenomenal.

Also: I think I'm going to level up BLU and see if I can Charge Whiskers 1 shot 3 Carabosse at the same time, I hear Charge Whiskers during a brew does insane damage. If I had WildFire I'd be doing that.

currently at 10 Carabosse Gems. I can solo now that I got the DT hat, it only takes me about 20-30 minutes to solo Carabosse with my BST..

I was doing the same then I got bored. You just gotta tough it out. It's all worth it in the end. I can't decide if I want to make an Armageddon or a Masamune. My COR is better geared than my SAM, but that's only because VW is lame to me.

Loona

The US page has a purchase link, but the euro one doesn't - I'm still unsure if I'll be able to buy this like the mini-expansions, or order a box online, since I'm not sure stores here will carry it...

Aeana

I reactivated a couple of days ago, and pancakes has been attempting to get me up to speed. I haven't played seriously since 2006, although I did pop my head in after WotG launched to check out SCH and DNC briefly. I'm really quite behind in terms of pretty much everything, and the game has changed significantly over the years. I can't believe how much faster everything is.

Jarnet87

I've tried to get into it 3 or 4 times, and everytime it is just too god dam counter intuitive to what I was use to. I guess EQ spoiled me.

Loona

What worries me is the possibility that the new areas will be like pre-level-cap-raise Ahr Urghan, that is, anything outside city gates can kill you by sneezing in you general direction.

The game's artists can come up with beautiful enfirinments, but it's hard to enjoy them if your focus is on staying sneaked and invisible to get anywhere, moreso if there are aggressive true sight and hearing mobs.
And then there's new blue magic spells to get...

Jijidasu

Really tempted to start anew (lost my account years ago) to do some world-touring. I've no idea what I'm in for though. What server do you guys congregate on?

Aeana

I'm playing on Sylph right now with Pancakesandsex and a couple of others. I think the old GAF LS, StarsofDestiny, is also there, athough I'm not in it ever since Fairy merged into Sylph and my pearl broke.

Underwhelming, especially the equipment/set part, still reactivating at the end of the month.
Yeah I dunno. This music is great at least.

I dunno. I'll be there. I wanna play RUN and experience the last full fledged expansion for this game. However after this... it'll probably be time to give up the game for good, good.

Then again I said that after they wrapped up Abyssea. @_@

SwagJesus

Banned
I'm playing on Sylph right now with Pancakesandsex and a couple of others. I think the old GAF LS, StarsofDestiny, is also there, athough I'm not in it ever since Fairy merged into Sylph and my pearl broke.

Don't let Pan take you into his private ventrilo room. Shit gets weird there.

Jijidasu

I might pop onto Sylph then once I finish patching this mess. 28,XXX files, christ.

If I remember correctly, if you purchased the Abyssea collection on PC and had a running subscription to FFXI, you could download everything you needed and play on the 360 without purchasing anything else -- as long as you had the original FFXI 360 disc in the drive. Will this process be the same for Seekers of Adoulin?

In other words, if I purchase the Seekers of Adoulin expansion on PC, will I be able to download it and play it without any additional cost on my 360?

Loto

If I remember correctly, if you purchased the Abyssea collection on PC and had a running subscription to FFXI, you could download everything you needed and play on the 360 without purchasing anything else -- as long as you had the original FFXI 360 disc in the drive. Will this process be the same for Seekers of Adoulin?

In other words, if I purchase the Seekers of Adoulin expansion on PC, will I be able to download it and play it without any additional cost on my 360?

Yes meaning the key code is universal and once you unlock it on PC you will have access to it on X360.

The problem is you will need the 360 game disc to install it on your console. I used to borrow it from a friend since I just needed the data on the disc not the key code.

Aeana

I reactivated two weeks ago, my highest character a level 60 WHM. Since then, I've leveled WHM to 99 and SCH from scratch to 49, and a few other assorted things. It's really amazing how much faster this game is now. That said, I think the popular leveling method now is really mind-numbing, and now I'm left with really low level magic skills, so I'll still have to work on those. (._. )

Still, I never thought I'd have a max level job in this game.

B.K.

That said, I think the popular leveling method now is really mind-numbing, and now I'm left with really low level magic skills, so I'll still have to work on those. (._. )

I actually miss Dunes and killing Lady Bugs in the past.

Re-subbed a few days ago and am always amazed at how nostalgic I get while wandering the world. Since original PC release so much has changed. I think that the world of FF XI is the most well-realized fantasy world to ever grace a videogame. I just love exploring and talking to every NPC, which is something these games usually never make me want to do. An the tone set by the music is so good.

Pretty much running solo with LV37 BST/DNC on Sylph (name's Landes) trying to see as much of the world and story that I can. I don't have any idea what to expect from Adoulin, but I guess I am soon going to find out. Hoping it isn't just top level stuff.

Jijidasu

I reactivated two weeks ago, my highest character a level 60 WHM. Since then, I've leveled WHM to 99 and SCH from scratch to 49, and a few other assorted things. It's really amazing how much faster this game is now. That said, I think the popular leveling method now is really mind-numbing, and now I'm left with really low level magic skills, so I'll still have to work on those. (._. )

Still, I never thought I'd have a max level job in this game.

Damn, you're not making this easy for me. I have it patched and ready to go with a brand new Lv.1 but it just feels so hard to do anything from that level. I proceeded to log out immediately after my first fight took so long.

When I considered that and the amount of time it would take to get anything substantial done (or, perhaps not that long at all if what you've achieved is anything to go by). Adoulin is around the corner and I'd love to wander about but it's going to be a real test of patience I think.

Loona

Pretty much running solo with LV37 BST/DNC on Sylph (name's Landes) trying to see as much of the world and story that I can. I don't have any idea what to expect from Adoulin, but I guess I am soon going to find out. Hoping it isn't just top level stuff.

If you really want to see the game's world, I'd recommend giving blue mage a spin - trying to get most spells will really encourage you to spend time in areas most people rarely bother with, which is a shame since there's an insane amout of detail to most things in FFXI.

I do hope Adoulin will be more lower-level friendly than Aht Ughan was pre-raised-level-cap...

And speaking of which, still no solid info on how to buy it in Europe, as far as I can tell...
Hopefully it'll be as simple as with the mini-expansions, only larger in scope.

If you really want to see the game's world, I'd recommend giving blue mage a spin - trying to get most spells will really encourage you to spend time in areas most people rarely bother with, which is a shame since there's an insane amout of detail to most things in FFXI.

I do hope Adoulin will be more lower-level friendly than Aht Ughan was pre-raised-level-cap...

And speaking of which, still no solid info on how to buy it in Europe, as far as I can tell...
Hopefully it'll be as simple as with the mini-expansions, only larger in scope.

Thanks. I will definitely be unlocking Blu as my next job then. Collecting Blue magic has always been one of my favorite FF activities so that sounds like it would be a lot of fun. I guess I have to get myself to Aht Ughan first though. Sometimes I feel like I should write out a "to do" list for FF XI, because at any time I could think of a dozen or more things I could spend my time doing.

Azuran

Banned

I don't. Did that with some friends over the double EXP weekend and I couldn't last more than 30 minutes. I rather do random trials I don't need if I'm gonna kills thousands of random mobs.

Re-subbed a few days ago and am always amazed at how nostalgic I get while wandering the world. Since original PC release so much has changed. I think that the world of FF XI is the most well-realized fantasy world to ever grace a videogame. I just love exploring and talking to every NPC, which is something these games usually never make me want to do. An the tone set by the music is so good.

Sadly, Adoulin is designed with level 99 players in mind so I assume, gear, missions and mobs are gonna be tough. I hope it's like when AU came out, which mean setting foot outside Whitegate without Invi and Sneak would get you killed.

Aeana

When I was running with pancakes and another LS-mate through Valkurm to get to Gustav, I said something similar, and they both thought I was insane. There's lots of things not to miss, and leveling certainly did take too long in the old game, but there's definitely something missing using the Abyssea method, or even the sit-and-sync book methods in Gusgen and Crawler's Nest, etc.

The old ways were mostly terrible.

But they were OUR old ways dammit. <3

lol.

Things like one Goblin being zoned in Kazham affecting entire groups of people trying to exp and what-not offered a sort of 'bond' that linked everyone in a sense.

I do not wish for a return to the old days at all, Abyssea was the most fun I've ever had in the game - leveling (heck, almost ANYTHING) was terrible back then and took way too long but there's just something nostalgic, a sort of frustraiting FFXI-charm about it when thinking back.

For years I tortured myself in Dynamis but f**k it felt good when you finally got that elusive drop. :O

Loona

Thanks. I will definitely be unlocking Blu as my next job then. Collecting Blue magic has always been one of my favorite FF activities so that sounds like it would be a lot of fun. I guess I have to get myself to Aht Ughan first though. Sometimes I feel like I should write out a "to do" list for FF XI, because at any time I could think of a dozen or more things I could spend my time doing.

Getting BLU spells has its frustrating moments and crazy gaps between spell and mob levels - not to mention spells used by very specific varieties of mob - but nowadays it's easier to outlevel most of them.
Also, getting the BLU AF sword pushed me to get all the runic portals. Man, Arrapago was a pain back then...

You might want to work on the adventuring fellow quests to get an NPC tou help you out in most areas though.

Even after a few years and most completed mission lines there seems to be a lot to do - I tend to prioritize missions and quests, with transportation options and permanent key items (including maps) being fairly close. I've maxed my storage options by now, but those were pretty high up before that, they help you with everything - you WANT to get the Gobbiebag quests done, as well as the mog safe expansion stuff, and Aht Urghan'll give you a mog locker to expand too after a little mission advancement (get a runic portal and some cutscenes).

One thing that's priceless to me is keeping a browser with the wiki open - if I get an unusual drop, I check if it's used for some quest and keep it and try to focus on it if possible, if I need to go to some area I rarely go to I see what quests it's involved in and how to get that done. It can save some legwork on the long run.

Loona

Somewhat relevant to the conversation. Via someone on BG awhile ago.

http://i.imgur.com/t7DE6HU.png

That's so pre-Aht Urghan...

I started soon after Wings of the Goddess was released, so what do I know, but it's still weird to remember the game with no level sync or moogles in Selbina and Mhaura and a bunch of other conveniences, like the Delkfutt key becoming a key item.

Aeana

I think that's a bit inaccurate. I mean, for me, even in the old days, leveling 1-14 was by far my least favorite part of the experience. Hated it so much. Still do, and that's with the EP/DC exp boost.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
This is adorable.

Beating Ultima/Omega and reaching Sea for the first time...especially when very few players had accomplished it...was literally the best moment of my gaming life. It was utterly incredible.

heh, I remember finally reaching there too, back before COP was nerfed. Was insanely difficult and time consuming, but the sense of accomplishment was high :lol

If I buy the Ultimate Collection Seekers edition will I be able to play now or will I have to wait till the launch date?
Edit: Also, when i do start, what Class should I try to train first? Any harder than others? Never played before...

Jijidasu

So now that I've readied myself for it I'm going to the plunge. Sylph seems to be a nice server with a few GAF people about so I'll jump over there.

Only problem is the EU side doesn't seem to have digital download/purchase for the Adoulin all-in-one pack? My primary FFXIV account is EU so I'd like to keep them together, linked.

So now that I've readied myself for it I'm going to the plunge. Sylph seems to be a nice server with a few GAF people about so I'll jump over there.

Only problem is the EU side doesn't seem to have digital download/purchase for the Adoulin all-in-one pack? My primary FFXIV account is EU so I'd like to keep them together, linked.

Give it a few days, it should go up for order. They are being slow with EU.

If I buy the Ultimate Collection Seekers edition will I be able to play now or will I have to wait till the launch date?
Edit: Also, when i do start, what Class should I try to train first? Any harder than others? Never played before...

You'll have to wait till Wed. There are 6 jobs available at the start which all make useful subjobs later. Warrior, Monk, Thief, Red Mage, Black Mage. and White Mage.

Since you'll have no real income to speak of to start with, you may want to choose something like war thf or mnk because mages must buy spells.

Seigyoku

Actually pretty sure you only have to wait till Tuesday and the UPDATE OF DOOM. Tuesday is the official release for the software after all.

Aur did point out yesterday it's hard to go wrong leveling warrior, unless you hate it. Everyone wants a WAR.

You'll have to wait till Wed. There are 6 jobs available at the start which all make useful subjobs later. Warrior, Monk, Thief, Red Mage, Black Mage. and White Mage.

Since you'll have no real income to speak of to start with, you may want to choose something like war thf or mnk because mages must buy spells.

Actually pretty sure you only have to wait till Tuesday and the UPDATE OF DOOM. Tuesday is the official release for the software after all.

Aur did point out yesterday it's hard to go wrong leveling warrior, unless you hate it. Everyone wants a WAR.
Awesome, thanks to you both. I held off buying right now so i can fully use the 30 days.

Azuran

Banned
heh, I remember finally reaching there too, back before COP was nerfed. Was insanely difficult and time consuming, but the sense of accomplishment was high :lol

It also still amazes me how much the rewards from CoP are still widely used these days. Rajas and Brutal will never be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom