• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII - Art slightly changed

olimario

Banned
I don't know which is better.
ff12.jpg

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i prefer the new. i hope they fix vaan's creepily vacant porcelain doll face as well.

I like the new one. The old one looks too much like your usual FF CG art. Since this will be a different type of FF, a different look for the art is fitting.

jett

D-Member
Looks nice...but still a far cry from Yoshida's Vagrant Story art. I'm not convinced that those pictures are real, anyway.

Zilch

Banned
jett said:
I'm not convinced that those pictures are real, anyway.

Neither am I. The bottom left looks ATROCIOUS. Square would fire their modelers if they ever made something so ugly.

Still, the characters, esp. Ashe (the girl in these pics), have looked quite different in various CG shots. Weird.

Bobety

yeah its obviously not real, in the bottom pic her face was originally pointed upwards slightly, but in the new one her face is pointed down a bit even though her head is facing up....just looks off

Edit: you'd think if they were going to change the art they'd draw new pictures, not just photoshop the old ones

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Come on guys. You can SEE the blur brush strokes around her head and sword in the bottom left pic. It's not even a good photoshop.

Takuan

Real or not, the new version looks alright in the top comparison, but terrible in the bottom. I prefer the old versions for both.

ff12_chara1.gif

That definitely looks closer to the new version than the old. If this is real, I wonder what sparked the sudden change?

Edit: http://www.ff12.com/characters/ashe.html

Still shows old art.

Pimpbaa

She didn't need to be fixed. Vaan is the person who needs to be fixed (or taken out of the game completely).

BuddyC

You know, I really don't care. Just get me XII already.

Also - I'd be amazed if they actually changed the character art, seeing as how they would have to go back and redo all the CG they have done.

Oli, where's this coming from?

Tabris

Each time I look at them, I like the new one more and more.

Just makes her look more...real I guess. Kind of mature, and a bit of sophistication. Something about the eyes.

The old one's are just too plain.

Ill Saint

Top one is fantastic... bottom one is mangled. Nose looks gigantic. But in general, I like this more realistic, subdued look. Nice.

RiZ III

Old ones a ton better. Especially with the second pic. If anything, the photoshopper shoulda enlarged the boobies.

Yusaku

I've never seen the "old" ones before. It looks like the "old" are the original renderings and the "new" is just touched up in photoshop.

I don't know how anyone can prefer the "old" ones (again, I debate that these are even old to begin with). The newer versions give the character a lot more life. The top "old" one looks dead and vacant.

Pimpbaa

speedpop said:
Haha @ Vaan haters. Sorry Square couldn't create another Cloud for you all.

I hate Cloud and every lead character in a FF since then (except for maybe monkey boy in FF9).

Yusaku

Feb 2004 EGM "12 Things you Need to Know about Final Fantasy XII", page 30. Clearly uses the "new" art.

EDIT: I must be dsylexic, I thought the one of the left was the old. Durr. In that case: WTF?

Vashu

This has to be bogus, I mean, Square Enix would never approve of the big-nosed freak :p

They all have to look too pretty to be real. :D

Also, from what I saw on the site, this was posted by a gamer. Not by the people of Videogamerx themselves, and he didn't gave any site or resource which confirmed it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Why is this debate still going on? It's such a piss poor Photoshop job. So either Square's artists have just completely lost their technical talent, or this was made by a 15 year old. I find the latter to be more likely.

olimario

Banned
MetatronM said:
Why is this debate still going on? It's such a piss poor Photoshop job. So either Square's artists have just completely lost their technical talent, or this was made by a 15 year old. I find the latter to be more likely.

How many times did you miss this picture?
It's clearly the new art.
ff12_chara1.gif

callous

Bobety said:
Why go into all that trouble to make her ugly? Her face in the bottom left pic is totally fucked up

That pretty much sums up my feelings concerning the change. Ugh. What are they thinking?

Insertia

The new one looks better. The realistic shadows and coloring make it not look like the typical FF plastic crap.

Vaan really needs to have his face redesigned.

jett

D-Member
speedpop said:
Haha @ Vaan haters. Sorry Square couldn't create another Cloud for you all.

Are you into girly "men" or something? I don't think it's too much to ask for a main a character to not look like a fairy.

Top Bottom