• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

As an aside,
did the Dynast-King rule over all of Ivalice? He's said to be the ancestor of Dalmascan royalty. Is it stated he ruled far beyond that?

I actually don't remember.

That would make sense... if their reason for wanting power is explained at all. They don't want to be glorified like other gods, they don't want wealth, there's no indication that world stability is beneficial to them or what relationship they have with the world at all, besides their manipulations. I don't feel like we remotely know their nature or what they desire. Power is a means to an end: an end that we never see. They're just sitting in the netherworld living their eternal lives doing apparently nothing in particular. How would anything for them change if they didn't control history?

I'm actually pretty okay with not knowing what their motivations are.

It places the moral focus on whether it's okay to be manipulated from the shadows, rather than the intentions of the people doing the manipulating.

The intentions that matter in the story are the intentions of Ashe and her crew and of Vayne, Cid, and Venat.

I get that. But it felt like the entire game was setting up there being more to the whole conflict than meets the eye. Vayne's murder of his brothers is portrayed as of an ambiguous nature, and his relationship with Larsa is good besides their differing views on foreign policy. Vayne's initial introduction showed him being magnanimous towards the conquered Dalmascans, not condescending or brutish. He makes overtures for peace with Ashe's crew. Hell, in the final scene before the climactic battle, he's shown as having pity towards Ashe for not being willing to wield power to save her people, like he (apparently?) feels the need to. He's shown as having an amicable relationship with virtually everyone he gets screen time with. The only moments of cruelty he has in the entire game is with some of the Judges, and even then he's not exactly full-blown villainous. And I never got the impression that he had the naked ambition of expanding territorial control or ruling the world, like you seem to have. His desire for war with everyone was inscrutable to me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there's a line between "look at this morally ambiguous villain" and "look at this villain that you don't understand." Vayne definitely felt more like the latter.

In the very first scene where we see Vayne, he's just set up Basch as a traitor, murdered the king of the kingdom he just conquered ("and to think, we were going to let you keep some of your sovereignty"), and directed the false announcement of the suicide of that king's surviving heir. He's basically engaged in a massive fake news/gaslighting campaign against Dalmasca.

That gaslighting continues beyond his conquest of Dalmasca. He tells Migelo that the emperor of Archadia is a democratically elected official, but it's clear his perspective on that matter is bullshit.
He kills his own father to seize the throne, and orders the arrest of the senate that hoped to restrain his rise.

That all seems very power hungry to me. Power hungriness doesn't need a motivation; want for power is a motivation.

Except... he doesn't co-opt the puppet strings? He destroys the nethicite entirely. Your view would be more tenable if he had killed the Occuria and/or seized the Sun Cryst for his own ends. Instead, he didn't make a move against them, destroyed the Cryst, and then delved headlong into his entirely unnecessary war.

Vayne doesn't do this.
It's Ashe/Reddas who do this.
His goal is to use it, and in the end
he's actually harnessing the Mist that spills from the Sun-Cryst to power Bahamut

ST2K

He ruled everything you visit in-game, except for the floating continent where Bhujerba is.

Including
Archades?
Most of everything else you visit is Dalmascan turf, I thought.

It places the moral focus on whether it's okay to be manipulated from the shadows, rather than the intentions of the people doing the manipulating.

The intentions that matter in the story are the intentions of Ashe and her crew and of Vayne, Cid, and Venat.

That's a fine perspective to have. And one I would likely share if I felt
understanding them wasn't key to understanding Venat, and understanding Venat being key to understanding Cid and Vayne.
In the very first scene where we see Vayne, he's just set up Basch as a traitor, murdered the king of the kingdom he just conquered ("and to think, we were going to let you keep some of your sovereignty"), and directed the false announcement of the suicide of that king's surviving heir. He's basically engaged in a massive fake news/gaslighting campaign against Dalmasca.

That gaslighting continues beyond his conquest of Dalmasca. He tells Migelo that the emperor of Archadia is a democratically elected official, but it's clear his perspective on that matter is bullshit.
He kills his own father to seize the throne, and orders the arrest of the senate that hoped to restrain his rise.

That all seems very power hungry to me. Power hungriness doesn't need a motivation; want for power is a motivation.

The Empire is shown as invading Dalmasca and all the nastiness associated with that. Unless I misremember, the King dies in battle, and the machinations involving framing Basch was simply to force unconditional surrender. He seemed to have wanted some sort of puppet government that he knew could be controlled. While certainly not good, it's war. And the Emperor is still in charge at the time, is he not? Wouldn't that mean he's responsible, not Vayne? Or was it said that Vayne orchestrated the invasion?

Furthermore, his conslidation of power is also played ambiguously. The Senate is shown as power-hungry and fearful of Vayne only because they'd be a threat to his power. They don't seem to care about Vayne's morality (or lack thereof) at all. Vayne's father is worried about him thrusting them into war, which is obviously proved to be true. But again, why was Vayne so fixated on starting a world war? If Vayne believed the war was necessary for some reason, as I thought the game was hinting at, he'd arguably be justified in his actions. Setting that aside, after he assassinated his father and arrested the Senate, the only person left to challenge his power is Larsa. He certainly doesn't need a war to consolidate his power. If anything, you'd think if he's just obsessed with power he'd move against Larsa, or at least be antagonistic toward him. But we don't get a whiff of that from Vayne.

It's clear he wanted power. But he wanted that power to wage war against everyone and execute his plan to rid the world of Occurian influence. It's never said, as I recall, why he wants war. But it seems to me that it's connected to that second goal. I'm just not clear how they are connected, exactly.

Vayne doesn't do this.
he's actually harnessing the Mist that spills from the Sun-Cryst to power Bahamut

Oh, that's right... So what exactly happened there? Cid fused the crystals with the Sun Cryst to make it... bleed its power so that the Bahamut could use it? I'm confused now.

Why do staves and rods affect atk power instead of magic power? Seems kind of odd for mages to not have weapons that improve their magic damage.

Why do staves and rods affect atk power instead of magic power? Seems kind of odd for mages to not have weapons that improve their magic damage.

Rods do affect magic power.

Staves don't (staves apparently also boost magic power, I'm blind), but instead certain staves greatly boost specific spells/elements.

Edit: See my edit above. So staves and rods both DO boost magic power.

Cess007

Question about the Archer Board:

How do I unlock the upper HP slots? They're apart on their own, and I can't reach them. Do I need to buy another slot in the RedMage board? (I've Fran as an Archer/RedMage)

Including
Archades?
Most of everything else you visit is Dalmascan turf, I thought.

Everything from Ozmone Plains and onward is a different continent. Nalbina to the Phon Coast is former Nabradia, and then the Phon Coast to Archades is, well, Archades. (Well, ok, technically during the game everything from Archades to Ozmone Plains is Archades because of that whole war thing)

Question about the Archer Board:

How do I unlock the upper HP slots? They're apart on their own, and I can't reach them. Do I need to buy another slot in the RedMage board? (I've Fran as an Archer/RedMage)

When you defeat an Esper, it's license will appear on the board somewhere, often times filling in a gap. The Archer's HP licenses up top are from Famfrit, which, uh, is something you won't see for a very long time.

However, if you look in the lower left of the Red Battlemage board, you should see a +435 HP augment blocked by a 125 LP Quickening license. That HP augment is shared between the two boards, so if you activate that on the Red Battlemage board, it'll be activated on the Archer board. That means you can also pick up the +390 HP augment beside it without having to get to Famfrit first.

(You can also activate the 125 LP Quickening slot on your Archer board, which will activate it on the Red Battlemage board. It looks like that way'd be faster, but you'd have to double check)

Fisty

Ack... any tips for 5 Judges? They are slapping my dudes for like 5000 HP a hit. Tried to Niho+Remedy each of them, also Zodiark spam, but my survivability is very low in this fight and I can't knock out more than 2 of them (and even that requires a lot of luck)

Finally, beat the game, the final boss was a pain, but I killed him with only 2 characters ( Penelo and Basch) with less than 500 hp remaining.
Ack... any tips for 5 Judges? They are slapping my dudes for like 5000 HP a hit. Tried to Niho+Remedy each of them, also Zodiark spam, but my survivability is very low in this fight and I can't knock out more than 2 of them (and even that requires a lot of luck)

Having Portega did help for me. But it sounds like you need better weapons/armour and need to be a higher lvl.

So.... I'm on chain 125 fighting these dinosaurs trying to drop ONE tyrant bone. The bone mail supposedly has an even lower drop rate but I have like 12 of them.

Caim

So.... I'm on chain 125 fighting these dinosaurs trying to drop ONE tyrant bone. The bone mail supposedly has an even lower drop rate but I have like 12 of them.

Just to make sure, you do have the Dragoon Monograph right?

You can also Poach it but I don't remember the chances.

yunbuns

Replaying this game has reminded me of why I can never truly like this game the way others do. Say what you will about XV, but I never felt like the party wasn't friends. There was a sense of comradery between the four characters that's just completely absent with the party of XII. The few scenes where the character's talk to each other, that isn't plot related, is never used to actually have the party interact with other in interesting ways or just learn about each other. Is really fucking bizarre and disappointing because there is a lot of potential there.

I was also on the ff wiki and saw something that really baffled me,
The manga version expands on the events. Ashe, Vaan and Penelo attempt to retrieve the Dawn Shard while the others fight Belias. Vaan wants to help the others, but Ashe claims finding the Dawn Shard takes priority. Vaan is unimpressed with Ashe's attitude toward power and her friends and abandons her to look for the Dawn Shard alone while he helps the others in battling Belias. Ashe retrieves the Dawn Shard and returns to protect Vaan from the Esper, and the group defeats Belias together. Belias's glyph marks itself on the back of Ashe's hand as a sign of its servitude to her. Ashe and Vaan see an apparition of Rasler, and Ashe thinks back to their marriage.

Like...I don't understand why this wasn't in the game? It would have been really cool to see Ashe struggling more with her desire for power and doing the right thing such as protecting her friends. Also having Vaan challenge her would have been nice and would have made him feel more relevant.

Just to make sure, you do have the Dragoon Monograph right?

You can also Poach it but I don't remember the chances.
Yes. I've been going between 2 of them on the estersand for about 3 hrs now. I'm about to quit! 😭 I've been gettinglvl 3 drops since chain 50 something.

Abylim

I'm definitely enjoying the game more this time around, but man, Archades is garbage, and the great crystal is worse.

Archades spoilers
the information gathering to get out of old Archades, then the chops gathering is just fucking horrible

Great Crystal spoilers
the lack of a map is ridiculous here, and the fact that so many important things are here... I seriously don't want to trudge around this shit hole any more. I actually have some maps available, but I hate playing like that.

I actually have less issue with Vaan and Penelo this time, too. But the story still seems average.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Oh yeah

njvq5z8.png

The hardest part? Getting the Black Hole concurrence. Took me 2 hours, just like beating Yiazmat.

Cess007

Everything from Ozmone Plains and onward is a different continent. Nalbina to the Phon Coast is former Nabradia, and then the Phon Coast to Archades is, well, Archades. (Well, ok, technically during the game everything from Archades to Ozmone Plains is Archades because of that whole war thing)

When you defeat an Esper, it's license will appear on the board somewhere, often times filling in a gap. The Archer's HP licenses up top are from Famfrit, which, uh, is something you won't see for a very long time.

However, if you look in the lower left of the Red Battlemage board, you should see a +435 HP augment blocked by a 125 LP Quickening license. That HP augment is shared between the two boards, so if you activate that on the Red Battlemage board, it'll be activated on the Archer board. That means you can also pick up the +390 HP augment beside it without having to get to Famfrit first.

(You can also activate the 125 LP Quickening slot on your Archer board, which will activate it on the Red Battlemage board. It looks like that way'd be faster, but you'd have to double check)

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I went for the HP slot on the Red Mage board. Currently, I'm at the
Giruvegan
area, and the first boss was harder than I thought, so I want to have as much HP as possible for this area

Fisty

Holy shit, 5 Judges defeated. Man that was a nail-biter, managed to thin out 3 of them and then went into a loop of Megalixer->Zodiark, Niho+Remedy on Zag, and Seiten attacks on Gabby.

That feel when Gabranth finally falls... almost made the last two nights worth it. Now... Concurrences lol

I actually don't remember.

Vayne doesn't do this.
Interesting thoughts thanks

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Holy shit, 5 Judges defeated. Man that was a nail-biter, managed to thin out 3 of them and then went into a loop of Megalixer->Zodiark, Niho+Remedy on Zag, and Seiten attacks on Gabby.

That feel when Gabranth finally falls... almost made the last two nights worth it. Now... Concurrences lol

I thought it was that hard but apparently you just need to be quick and be prepared, this is what I did:

1. Dispelga them all
2. Niho + Remedy (make sure user has Remedy Lore 3) on Ghis, Drace, and Bergan
3. Zodiark -> Elixir/Megalixir -> Zodiark -> Elixir/Megalixir until Ghis, Drace, and Bergan are dead.
4. Make your 2 members attack Gabranth while you Niho + Prince's Kiss repeatedly on Zargabaath, also Wither + Expose Gabranth
5. Once Gabranth is dead, kill Zagraabath

Fisty

I thought it was that hard but apparently you just need to be quick and be prepared, this is what I did:

1. Dispelga them all
2. Niho + Remedy (make sure user has Remedy Lore 3) on Ghis, Drace, and Bergan
3. Zodiark -> Elixir/Megalixir -> Zodiark -> Elixir/Megalixir until Ghis, Drace, and Bergan are dead.
4. Make your 2 members attack Gabranth while you Niho + Prince's Kiss on Zargabaath, also Wither + Expose Gabranth
5. Once Gabranth is dead, kill Zagraabath

Yeah it threw me off because I guess enemies don't have the ZZzzz effect over their heads when they have Sleep. I would try to watch him, but he would just pop out of Sleep and elixir Gabranth almost immediately, so I just started spamming Remedy. I think my main issue was focusing on Zodiark too much at first, but once I took the time to rebuff and draw them all into the center (and making sure Seiten user was focused correctly) it seemed to work out better once it was just G&Z

Oh and quick question, do you need to beat the final boss/dungeon for the bestiary trophy? That's the only one I haven't gotten, besides Concurrences

mstevens

Oh yeah

The hardest part? Getting the Black Hole concurrence. Took me 2 hours, just like beating Yiazmat.

Two questions for ya

Do you need the judges from the trial for the bestiary? Because it only lets me load the autosave from right before into the main game.

Also, can you break down the easiest way to attempt Black Hole Concurrence? I don't use quickenings at all so I don't have an idea on how to efficiently attempt it.

Netto-kun

Oh yeah

Two hours for Yiazmat? You played at regular speed?

Do you need the judges from the trial for the bestiary? Because it only lets me load the autosave from right before into the main game.

Also, can you break down the easiest way to attempt Black Hole Concurrence? I don't use quickenings at all so I don't have an idea on how to efficiently attempt it.
Judges: no. I got the bestiary trophy before I even bothered to go past trial 90. As for Concurrence trophy. Really all about reflexes and luck.

Jolkien

Two questions for ya

Always go for mist charge when available, other use lvl 3 quickening first, after that it's down to luck. The judge are not needed for the bestiary. But they have their own trophy.

ULTROS!

Yeah it threw me off because I guess enemies don't have the ZZzzz effect over their heads when they have Sleep. I would try to watch him, but he would just pop out of Sleep and elixir Gabranth almost immediately, so I just started spamming Remedy. I think my main issue was focusing on Zodiark too much at first, but once I took the time to rebuff and draw them all into the center (and making sure Seiten user was focused correctly) it seemed to work out better once it was just G&Z

Oh and quick question, do you need to beat the final boss/dungeon for the bestiary trophy? That's the only one I haven't gotten, besides Concurrences

Two questions for ya

1. No, all the enemies in the final dungeon and the trial stages are not counted to the bestiary.

2. The Black Hole Concurrence is pure luck and you have to focus on the bars and Mist Recharges. What I did was write down in a piece of paper something like this:

Code:
3   3   3   3
2   2   2   2
1   1   1   1

And I cross out whatever quickening I've done (like I cross out one 3 if I've done a 3-bar quickening) so I can keep track of the calculations. Better if you label on top the party members like so.

Code:
V   F   P   ? 
3   3   3   3
2   2   2   2
1   1   1   1

V = Vaan, F = Fran, P = Penelo, ? = Any

I started off with 3, then when there's recharge, I prioritize that.

Also take note that the members will be assigned to specific buttons depending on the order of your party, like for here Vaan is on Triangle, Fran is on Square, Penelo is on X.

Two hours for Yiazmat? You played at regular speed

4x speed. I used the Reverse technique.

Congrats!

What's your playtime?

132 hours (this includes around 30 hours worth of bot grinding at Jellies) + 1.5 hours for trial

Anyone have a good gambits list I could steal for my Shikari?

Just now getting around to really try to set up my gambits but I don't really know how to make my shikari most useful.

Currently grinding a little with my knight, black mage, and shikari.

Boogins

Anyone have a good gambits list I could steal for my Shikari?

Just now getting around to really try to set up my gambits but I don't really know how to make my shikari most useful.

Currently grinding a little with my knight, black mage, and shikari.

I am still relatively early in the game but I bought the gambit Foe HP = 100% and put steal on that. That way there is always at least one attempt on each enemy. It does get a little murky when there a bunch of mobs and instead of attacking anything they're just stealing away.

UGHHH THIS GAME

Just got the
Imperial City
and the cast is just so damn likable. They flow with each other, grow (some) and interact in ways that show they are on a journey together as a group.

WHAT THE FUCK FFXIII

I am still relatively early in the game but I bought the gambit Foe HP = 100% and put steal on that. That way there is always at least one attempt on each enemy. It does get a little murky when there a bunch of mobs and instead of attacking anything they're just stealing away.

Ahh, so Shikari is more like a specialist rather than a damage dealer? Up until now I've just been using him as a potion slinger while my mage is casting spells and ressurecting.

Ydelnae

UGHHH THIS GAME

Just got the
Imperial City
and the cast is just so damn likable. They flow with each other, grow (some) and interact in ways that show they are on a journey together as a group.

WHAT THE FUCK FFXIII

yeah I also liked that single and isolated cutscene that showed those group traits

Shahed

Finally got Black Hold. Funniest thing is that I had less than 1 second left and went through several turns and Mist Charges getting superflous Rank 1 and 3 Quickenings until I finally got my last Rank 2 with 0.14 seconds left lol.

Did Trial 100. Until you kill the first Judge, it's the hardest fight in the series in my view. Once you Remedy them all and get yourself in a position to start using Zodiark anr Quickenings it's not too bad. Getting to that stage is the hardest part. As soon as Ghis is dead then you're onnthe victory road.

Just need to finish the game and do the Bestiary trophy. Not sure what I'm missing because I went through a list before and thought I got them all. Are there any enemies in the final dungeon? Also do I need to add them in the main game only, or are Trails also allowed? I know several of the rare monsters I countee in Trial only like Gavial.

Boogins

Ahh, so Shikari is more like a specialist rather than a damage dealer? Up until now I've just been using him as a potion slinger while my mage is casting spells and ressurecting.

Oh sorry I should have put that in addition to the steal gambit at the top to have attack party leader target or something after. They still do good damage.

Edit: And now I'm realizing you wrote gambit list you could steal not for stealing lol. Sorry.

sotojuan

I'm definitely enjoying the game more this time around, but man, Archades is garbage, and the great crystal is worse.

Archades spoilers
the information gathering to get out of old Archades, then the chops gathering is just fucking horrible

It's usual in FF to have annoying mini quests in the middle of the plot for no reason. Info gathering in Archades was annoying, but the chops gathering was simple. I just stayed in one area and talked to everyone - easy to find who goes with who.

I just beat
Cid
myself. Not sure I like this game enough to do anything after I finish the plot though, which should be soon.

Oh sorry I should have put that in addition to the steal gambit at the top to have attack party leader target or something after. They still do good damage.

Edit: And now I'm realizing you wrote gambit list you could steal not for stealing lol. Sorry.

Haha no worries. I'm just not too bright when it comes to RPGs and was hoping I could look at someone else's gambits setup for their Shikari so I could copy it and analyse.

All I want is for him to be useful, as my black mage is getting distracted a lot and I want to keep her focused on elemental damage. My knight is good on damage and health but my Shikari is just whacking enemies with his dagger and every now and then tossing a potion or antidote to other players and reviving the black mage if she dies.

TheCed

Man, those Rare Games monsters are a pain to farm for the Bestiary.

Only trophy that I have left, I'm not enjoying that one.

Meowster

Man, those Rare Games monsters are a pain to farm for the Bestiary.

Only trophy that I have left, I'm not enjoying that one.
That's the last one I did and I basically had to dedicate three hours or so of 4x speed plus crystal teleportation. The worst are the monsters that only show up depending on where your in-game clock is at. That was a stupid and frustrating decision lol.

That's the last one I did and I basically had to dedicate three hours or so of 4x speed plus crystal teleportation. The worst are the monsters that only show up depending on where your in-game clock is at. That was a stupid and frustrating decision lol.

I got to the one in the Salikawood that has like a 15% chance of spawning after you kill all the rabbit enemies in the lower left area. Nah son.

Meowster

I got to the one in the Salikawood that has like a 15% chance of spawning after you kill all the rabbit enemies in the lower left area. Nah son.
One thing that helps with those with lower rates is that you can zone in and out of the room several times and it is quite likely that the monster will appear. Just clear a room or kill a couple of monsters, zone back and forth five times or so, and there is a pretty strong chance your monster will show.

One thing that helps with those with lower rates is that you can zone in and out of the room several times and it is quite likely that the monster will appear. Just clear a room or kill a couple of monsters, zone back and forth five times or so, and there is a pretty strong chance your monster will show.

Holy shit

I was zoning twice to respawn the rabbits

My Vaan is a Time Mage; having fun casting time magic and shooting my crossbow.

Thinking when I unlock the second class I may wanna get a melee class to switch up Vaan's attack- what's the most 'fun' melee class that also has decent DPS?

mstevens

For the concurrences, do you have to get the exact requirements or can you go over? For instance, would I get Black Hole if I did 4 threes, 4 twos, and lets say 6 ones?

TheCed

:( Yeah. I have to wait 40 minutes for Zombie Lord to spawn.

I can't understand how someone would stumble on some of those monsters by chance only.

Oh well, gotta continue after work. Hopefully I'll be able to platinum this game later today.

For the concurrences, do you have to get the exact requirements or can you go over? For instance, would I get Black Hole if I did 4 threes, 4 twos, and lets say 6 ones?

You can go over, you might get a Stronger Concurrences by doing so but if you're aiming for Black Hole, go ahead.

Top Bottom