• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

J-Skee

Haven't read on up everything just yet, but this job system sounds like it could be a little confusing. I know on the original PS2 version, I tried to separate my characters as much as possible with different abilities. I can't believe I'm gonna looking for my old memory card tonight to see exactly how I had them.

I'm doing the Bhujerba sequence in japanese just for the hell of it. Larsa is pretty cool but Fran sounds surprisingly normal. Fuck Vaan though, we dodged a bullet there with the english dub. "Don't believe Ondore's lies" is not nearly as funny in japanese, haha.

jimmypython

Wait, what???!!! Why?? I keep playing waiting for it to unlock. Such a charming and enjoyable bit of UI fun. Expected it to tie into trophies now. Lame.

Agreed. It was such a cute little feature.

And trophy is no excuse. Kingdom Hearts DDD HD has both. Also, Diablo3.

Also, how good is the English dub? I like having the choice but I'm always hesitating between language options!

The english dub is fantastic. Especially Fran and Balthier stand out. The only issue with the english dub is the sound quality. It's better than before, but still not as good as during the CGI cutscenes.

FF XII is one of a few JRPGs I would never play in japanese to be honest.

so ups for some reason transferred my CE to usps....and the usp's tracking number doesn't work anymore.....

this is fine....

USPS delivers packages for UPS and FedEx which aren't profitable enough for them to deliver themselves. Your package is sitting at your local office on a big pallet with a bunch of other packages that will be sorted throughout the day for delivery tomorrow. If you call or perhaps go a little later in the day when they're slow and ask if you can swing by and pick it up, they might go in the back and fetch it for you so you don't have to wait until tomorrow; however, it is a little bit of a inconvenience for the clerks, and they don't have to do it, so try to be nice about it and understand if they're too overwhelmed to do the favor.

Source: I work for USPS.

Edit: Also, make sure you bring your ID.

Abdiel

Used Amazon because of gift cards from family. Hasn't even shipped. I ordered back on December 11th. What the Fuck Amazon. This is bullshit. My customers have their copies in hand.

Ugh.

Ydelnae

"I saw how you stealed from that soldier, you shouldn't do that. I think your fucking dead brother who was murdered one cutscene ago and the only person you had left in this world since your parents are DEAD, would have said the same"

This may have been asked, and we may not know yet anyway. The Danjuro that was in the original version, but not the International version, do we know if they added it for this release?

Not so sure I actually like the job system so far tbh. Right now Fran and Balthier hardly break 500 hp since I can't find any hp ups on their board. Only Fran and Ashe have useful heals. It's kind of a pain right now. Does this improve to some extent? Cause I kinda prefer the original system so far.

Einhandr

Aww... the skeleton bridge no longer spams skeletons endlessly. You get a 35-40 enemies and then you must go 2 areas away for them to respawn. I only did it 4 times with x4 speed and managed to get like 20000 gil but still is a bummer.

Preorder cancelled. Godamn it Square.

Ydelnae

I'm new to the game, never played it before and I don't want to mess up the jobs, so I need help. I though about this set-up, what do you guys think about it?

Vaan: Samurai/Knight
Penelo: Monk/Black Mage
Ashe: Time Mage/White Mage
Balthier: Machinist/Uhlan? (Have my doubts)
Fran: Archer/Red Mage? (I have no idea about this lol)
Basch: Hunter/Breaker

Is the job order good or should I switch between first and second job for some of the characters? I left almost every mage job as a second jobs since I heard that they are not that good until the second half of the game. Also, I also heard that some animations are faster with certain characters, but since I never played, I need more input about that.

kromeo

I'm new to the game, never played it before and I don't want to mess up the jobs, so I need help. I though about this set-up, what do you guys think about it?

Is the job order good or should I switch between first and second job for some of the characters? I left almost every mage job as a second jobs since I heard that they are not that good until the second half of the game. Also, I also heard that some animations are faster with certain characters, but since I never played, I need more input about that.

I would think you probably want white mage before time mage but I'm no expert

aravuus

Hnng, so close to the second jobs!

Man I fucking love this game. If the camera was a bit more tolerable and they got rid of this ridiculous input lag, I'd play this again and again, forever, with different job combinations and shit.

I've decided to go in blind with concerns to jobs, at worst you can't fuck it up too bad I'm sure. I cannot remember in the slightest what I did with each character on the PS2 other than Penello was probably a mage type. I do remember being a bit lost right at the start, so I might need to start looking things up, but I'm trying my damnedest not to.

I've decided to go in blind with concerns to jobs, at worst you can't fuck it up too bad I'm sure. I cannot remember in the slightest what I did with each character on the PS2 other than Penello was probably a mage type. I do remember being a bit lost right at the start, so I might need to start looking things up, but I'm trying my damnedest not to.

If you played the NA version on PS2, there were no jobs. All characters shared an identical, massive license board.

is it worth rotating characters or just focus on levelling 3 up? on the ps2 I tried to rotate a bit and felt my party was always week because of it.

kromeo

is it worth rotating characters or just focus on levelling 3 up? on the ps2 I tried to rotate a bit and felt my party was always week because of it.

Use them all unless there's someone you particularly don't like, you can comfortably complete the game using all 6

AndersK

I'm always rotating, but you're right, it can be slightly harder. I try to think of it as having 3 other great members if something horrible happens. Especially now that jobs are limited.

FreeMufasa

Man.....this is the EXACT kind of game I needed now. Although I finished it back in the day, I can't believe I thought it was ass cos it didn't have a love story like FFX and wasn't whimsical like other FF games.

Just got done with the intro and mans already hooked

Dawg

I feel like there's a tiny bit of distortion on certain voices in cutscenes but I might be imagining it.

The combat at the beginning is even worse than I remember. Feels like I'm playing the worlds most boring MMO. I really hope it opens up soon, but my second-first impressions aren't good.

WOOP JUST GOT MINE.

VUxxP5Y.jpg

Got to be at work in a few hours so I won't get to play but you better believe I'm pulling an all nighter tonight.

Kensuke

This is a really popular setup, you'll be fine. Machinist/Uhlan can dish out great damage. It gives the Machinist a lot of battle lores and guns+spears will cover every single element out there. With Adrenaline + Focus and the possibility to berserk (you could use armguard) the gun will be very strong.

Archer/Red Mage is a good combination with lots of utility, but in the end game it will be a bit of a one trick pony with Burning Bow+Ardor (it's a good attack though).

Ydelnae

^ I appreciate your input. I rather use Fran than Penelo, should I keep Monk/Black Mage for Fran and leave Archer/Red Mage for Penelo since it seems to be the less powerful combination?

The game looks amazing once you get to the desert. But this might be one of the blandest openings of all the FF titles. Here: have this interesting introduction and then you have to run errands for some bartender. The prologue with Reks should have been a bit longer.

Tiops

Aww... the skeleton bridge no longer spams skeletons endlessly. You get a 35-40 enemies and then you must go 2 areas away for them to respawn. I only did it 4 times with x4 speed and managed to get like 20000 gil but still is a bummer.

It was always like this, really. I played recently lol.

MrMatt555

Haven't played this yet but do character have native stats in which they Excel at?

Like does vaan natively have more attack than Ashe thus pushing you in a particular direction with jobs or can vaan be a mage and still do fine?

Nohar

Well, I got the game. Not sure if it was the wisest choice (I did play the IZJS version), but I do hope it will satisfy my expectations.

I'll probably waste 2 hours trying to choose my jobs.

Haven't played this yet but do character have native stats in which they Excel at?

Like does vaan natively have more attack than Ashe thus pushing you in a particular direction with jobs or can vaan be a mage and still do fine?

If you want a quick overview and want to min-max (original game and IZJS stats can be found here) (EDIT: hum, seems the Strength stat chart is wrong, please refer to the GameFaq link shared by Kensuke below - I edited my post to reflect the changes):
  • Vaan is the best character overall, with incredible stats. You can't go wrong with him. At worst, he is second best in any stat (really, he is that good). At max level, he has the best Strenght, tied with Basch, third best Magic (and only 3 points behind the second best), second best Vitality, second best HP, average MP.
  • Basch is a great physical attacker, thanks to his Strenght (best, tied with Vaan). However, he has the worst MP pool, and the worst Vitality by far (the gap is actually quite noticeable - spending years famished and rotting in a dungeon will do that to you). Worst magic, tied with Balthier.
  • Ashe is the best potential mage, with the best Magic score, but she also has decent Strength. Second best MP pool. Great character overall.
  • Penelo is a great mage, thanks to her Magic (second best, right behind Ashe - pun intended). Has the best MP pool. However, lowest HP pool, and worst Strength score.
  • Balthier's Strenght is good (second best). Still, his low natural MP pool and low Magic makes him a "meh" mage (well, a "meh" offensive one, he can still excel in White and Time magic).
  • Fran is kinda average everywhere. She has second worst Strenght score (with only one more point than Penelo) and second worst Magic (higher than the bad boys, but still noticeably lower than the other girls). She does have the best Vitality score however.
Now, keep in mind that each Job's license board grants stat bonuses. With end-game equipment on top of those bonuses, chances are you will hit the cap in whatever you want (except Vitality).

Kensuke

^ I appreciate your input. I rather use Fran than Penelo, should I keep Monk/Black Mage for Fran and leave Archer/Red Mage for Penelo since it seems to be the less powerful combination?

Switching them around is fine and actually a bit more optimal. Fran is fastest with Monk poles and slow with bows. The reason people put Archer/Red Mage on Fran is for 'canon job' arguments.

Any input on the following setup? I don’t really need or want the insane best setup as I’m already aware of it, and it sounds kinda boring. Though I kept black mage-monk.

Vaan:Shikari-Red Mage
Penelo:Black Mage-Monk.
Ashe- Knight-time mage
Balthier: Samurai/Breaker
Basche: Uhlan-archer
Fran: White Mage-Machinist

My main concern is Uhlan-Archer and Shikari-red mage. Are they good combos or…? Esper allocations will follow at a later date, though recommendations are welcome.

Kensuke

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/191202-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age/75509332

Vaan has greats stats everywhere and will excel at any job . Ashe is the strongest mage but actually has decent strength as well. Balthier and Bash make for poor mages with the lowest magic and mp growth. Penelo isn't great as a physical attacker. Fran is a bit all over the place.

Any input on the following setup? I don't really need or want the insane best setup as I'm already aware of it, and it sounds kinda boring. Though I kept black mage-monk.

Vaan:Shikari-Red Mage
Penelo:Black Mage-Monk.
Ashe- Knight-time mage
Balthier: Samurai/Breaker
Basche: Uhlan-archer
Fran: White Mage-Machinist

My main concern is Uhlan-Archer and Shikari-red mage. Are they good combos or...? Esper allocations will follow at a later date, though recommendations are welcome.

This setup is similar to mine.

Uhlan/Archer is known as the 'Bash combo' for good reason, it works well for him. He can utilize both jobs well. Shikari/Red Mage is amazing and one of the best combinations in the game.

Whats so good about Shikari-Red Mage? I thought of going Shikari-Foebreaker.

Check out the link to my setup to see what Shikari/Red Mage gets. At the start of the game it's a great tank thanks to amazing HP and evasion rate. With espers later on it can do the best black magic and some crucial support spells. Shikari/Foebreaker is a great DPS character that will use Genji Gloves in the end game. Both work, but for Vaan I recommend the first option. Shikari/Foebreaker can't use magic and that's a waste of his stats in my opinion. I prefer Shikari/Foebreaker on Bash or Balthier.

BasilZero

Used Amazon because of gift cards from family. Hasn't even shipped. I ordered back on December 11th. What the Fuck Amazon. This is bullshit. My customers have their copies in hand.

Ugh.

Ordered back in march and it says shipping out today but expected delivery date is July 17 👹

Top Bottom