• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

garath

I'm torn on jobs for the party. I'm kind of inclined to just go with the gamefaqs optimal and call it a day. Dunno who to make each combo though.

Samurai/Knight
Hunter/Breaker (or Samurai/Hunter if you want a Yiazmat killer)
White Mage/Machinist
Black Mage/Monk
Black Mage/Red Mage
Uhlan/Time Mage

Attempting to steal Gladius from the Lindbur Wolf but he's wrecking my party with ease. Burned through like 60 potions with no luck. :( I'm very early/low lvl tho.

MikeBison

Couple of questions:

Does the game auto save? If not, what's the save procedure?

Are there no subtitles for the voices cutscenes?

aravuus

Damn, could swear the game is, at least before you get the second jobs, much harder than the original. It's entirely possible I picked bad starting jobs, though. At least I've got one white mage, everyone else just sort of hits people with their sticks and swords and try not to die in the process.

And I just got Cura, makes a hell of a difference when I've only got one person capable of healing.

Walked to GameStop during my lunch break and used some of the reward points I have left from the juug last week to buy it. Gift that keeps on giving.

Can't wait to start tonight.

Rad-

My god, Red Mage just absolutely shits on Black Mage early in the game. Dark deals twice as much damage as Blizzard and it's AoE. Blizzard is just single target. Even if the enemy is weak to ice, Dark still deals about the same damage... while being AoE! Same MP cost too (well 9 vs 10).

Red Mage also has Immobilize which enables you to kill enemies twice your level without them even touching you. For example I used it to kill those two level 19 Werewolfs in the beginning. They couldn't even move a meter and I just killed them with ranged weapons and Dark.

The only early game saving grace for Black Mage is Blind which is good for hunts. But Red Mage has Slow for the same purpose.

Attempting to steal Gladius from the Lindbur Wolf but he's wrecking my party with ease. Burned through like 60 potions with no luck. :( I'm very early/low lvl tho.

I got super lucky and got it on the second steal. He killed Penelo and I just barely got away with Vaan. I sold it though as I don't want to make the game too easy. Got 3000 gils or something.

My copy is still in transit, but the wait is unbearable! To help pass the time I made this on my phone.

jiggle

Checking gamefaqs and sees red scarlet name
:(

Kinda questioning my life choices of picking vaan on monk and penelo on black magr
Planning to restart afterbi come bsck from vacation

Eria

What should I pick for Vaan first, Samurai or Knight? I want both of them but I don't know if choosing one of them first makes any difference.

Severance

It feels great to be back in the world of Ivalice. I've been patiently waiting to replay it for the past two years and it's paying off. FF12 features one of my favorite ensemble of characters and one of my favorite worlds of any Final Fantasy. I also love the battle system, it is truly great and I hope future FF games draw inspiration from this as well as FFXV. A mix of both battle systems is my dream Final Fantasy for sure.

Highlights of the remaster so far:

The soundtrack being done by a full orchestra is fantastic. I already love the soundtrack to the original, but the remaster brings it to new heights. Speaking of audio in general, the voice quality is much improved. The (lack of) quality in the original's voice acting was always kind of strange to me. The voice acting itself is pretty great all around. Balthier will always be GOAT.

Auto save and I don't have to use inverted camera? Perfect. The inverted controls always threw my gaming skills off especially when I switched to a different game.

The job system brings much needed focus to the license board. I also love jobs in any FF. It made FFX-2 a whole lot of fun to play despite the story. It works really well here too.

Nohar

I am honestly torn between making a party I want, and making an optimal party. This is kinda driving me crazy.

So far, these would be my choices:
  • Vaan: Red Mage/Hunter
  • Penelo: Black Mage/Monk
  • Ashe: Knight/Time Mage
  • Basch: Samurai/Archer
  • Balthier: Uhlan/White Mage
  • Fran: Machinist/Breaker

Joey Ravn

Banned
Got my Steelbook edition for €22. Gotta love saving up on those GAME rewards.

Now, it'll be sitting there in my backlog until I finally get to play VII to X-2...

Seda

This might have been posted before so apologies if I am being redundant.

This is a useful link -> http://www.fftogether.com/forum/index.php?topic=2764.0 <-

Basically, maps of each area with chest contents and percentages. It also shows rare spawn locations.

It doesnt go over rare steals/drops and things like that, but there are other places you can get that information.

(A good rule of thumb is whenever you encounter a rare enemy or boss/hunt, look up what you can steal from it, just in case.)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
DEVELOPING: My definitive FF rankings may be in need of adjustment.

Really curious how the perception plays out among fans and newcomers a decade removed from the somewhat embarrassing 2006 attack campaign it received on forums and some podcasts(despite glowing reviews).

Rad-

What should I pick for Vaan first, Samurai or Knight? I want both of them but I don't know if choosing one of them first makes any difference.

Samurai gets 2 swiftness licenses and a decent amount of HP licenses really quickly so it's a good first job.

Need to figure out what the hell I'm a assign everyone in the party.

Flipped the cover around on my case as soon as I got back to work lol

Bluenoser

you can pull him to the zone, and just keep stealing/zoning/steal/zone until you get it, and he shouldn't be able to hit you if you are quick enough.

Those are great choices, as I'm going with your Vaan, Penelo, and Ashe. I think the main issue is finding space for machinist, and I do like it paired with White mage. That would leave you with Archer Samurai, Uhlan, and breaker. Samurai Breaker is a decent combo and so its Archer Uhlan. I'm going that way, as they're listed in the combo thread.

I don't think this game is hard enough that you have to go with the optimum party. I was going to go with the standard best set, but I was getting annoyed at the prospect of feeling like I cheesed the game. You can't go back though...

I am honestly torn between making a party I want, and making an optimal party. This is kinda driving me crazy.

Ydelnae

Do you need to do every hunt as soon as they appear? Also, is there any way to see a list of hunts you have already completed in the menu? Don't tell me you have to run back to the moguri at the hunter club

Kensuke

This party will certainly work. If there is one thing that you could consider changing is giving your Samurai a subjob with more battle lores. That Samurai is your only strong genji glove user, so it could use either foebreaker or monk to strengthen it. That's only if you're looking for optimization though.

kromeo

Do you need to do every hunt as soon as they appear? Also, is there any way to see a list of hunts you have already completed in the menu? Don't tell me you have to run back to the moguri at the hunter club

No, a lot of them will become available well before you're able to beat them. I'm sure I remember there being a hunt log of some kind

aravuus

Jesus christ, the Queen of the Urutan is a bit more terrifying in HD ( http://i.imgur.com/hZXtSTe.png)

This might have been posted before so apologies if I am being redundant.

This is a useful link -> http://www.fftogether.com/forum/index.php?topic=2764.0 <-

Basically, maps of each area with chest contents and percentages. It also shows rare spawn locations.

It doesnt go over rare steals/drops and things like that, but there are other places you can get that information.

(A good rule of thumb is whenever you encounter a rare enemy or boss/hunt, look up what you can steal from it, just in case.)

Oh that's perfect! Not exactly high quality, but this is just what I wanted from the Prima guide... For which I still haven't gotten my goddamn eGuide code. Even sent them an email about it 12 hours ago and nothing. GJ Prima.

is the english dub decent?

Deciding between english and japanese.

Probably the best JRPG dub ever.

How important is job selection? Can I get by just choosing whatever or could I really screw myself if I give the wrong person the wrong job?

Tiamant

I didn't remember the amount of "optional" story boss fights for people that want more of a challenge. Garuda, Demon Wall, Ba'Gamnan, T-Rex... This might take some grinding.

Chris R

I think my party will be setup this way...

Shikari/Foebreaker
Knight/Bushi
Machinsit/White Mage
Red Mage/Archer
Uhlan/Time Mage
Monk/Black Mage

That should be ok right? Now to decide who gets what...

I didn't remember the amount of "optional" story boss fights for people that want more of a challenge. Garuda, Demon Wall, Ba'Gamnan, T-Rex... This might take some grinding.

Fighting Demon Wall both times gets you access to a really good sword pretty early on, right?

oh ffs I just want to play this.

It needed way more space than it asked for the for the install

It seems to crash if I paused it for more than 5 minutes

Also, I guess my controler is f'd
It seems ok with most games but I can't analog run in ff12.

It keeps stopping like the stick isn't going far enough.
This may explains some other issues I had playing Dead Rising but this is not usable
really don't want to buy another controller

:p

I would avoid putting Balthier or Basch as a mage character though. I believe MAG even effects accuracy of buffs, but I could be wrong. Though Machinist/White Mage is recommended for Balthier.

Some characters are a bit better at certain jobs but there's no combinations that are unplayable in any way

Top Bottom