• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Let's be real, a huge percentage of people in this thread either skipped by or straight up hated FF12 back then, but now we're talking about it being a misunderstood gem etc etc.

Same will happen with 13. The latest or near latest FF always gets shat on. I remember people loving 7 but hating 8, then loving 8 but hating 9. So on and so forth.

I remember people thinking X was too big of a departure with voice acting etc.

Like I said in my first post, 13 has a LOT of good going for it. Some bad, but so does every FF.

They'll make a 13 remaster and this OT for that game will be FULL of people talking about how much they appreciate it and are enjoying it, i guarantee. You could probably trace their post history to the original release and talking about how it's the worst thing ever.

Nah man, 13 is shit and will remain shit, sorry. Me personally, I couldn't play XII back in the day due to my PS2 breaking, but, even though its flaws are apparent, it's still a great game and it was considered as such by the large majority. Yes, the plot might take a dive later on (so does IX's), and other things are also not perfect, but it's much better as a game, artistically and in writing (SPECIALLY in writing) than XIII could ever be.

XIII-2 and Lightning Returns might have some more redeeming qualities, but still, they're not even close to what a main FF game should be.

MikeBison

Tbf, people who played through it and hated it, probably won't change their minds on 13. But I bet plenty of people played like 10 hours and dropped it amid all the hate.

And a good chunk of those might put more time into it and discover a lot to like further in the game. It has some epic moments.

Ydelnae

When a new cutscene starts sometimes I don't know if it's rendered in engine or if it's CG. That's how good this game looks.

SkylineRKR

That won't happen with XIII.

XIII is already a generation old. We got XV, and while XV is trash I still think XIII is trash also. They both have their pros and cons (XV has travel, but XIII had better pacing etc) but both are inferior to X and XII. They're shit mainline FF games.

I admit I didn't like XII as much when it launched. But I had a 360 already and was into online gaming. It came too late, especially in Europe with its 2007 release. Don't forget vanilla XII is quite a bit worse than this and IZJS.

What did change is my opinion on story and battles. This is also partially because of DA:O, TW3 etc, and age. I probably grew too old for emo spiky hair daddy issues. I started to detest random encounters some time as well. But then again i've always prefered the systems of Chrono.

I doubt anyone will miss having locked your main party until the endgame, locked progression in each area, a game that effectively plays itself, nonsense story that needs backlog reading to be understood and a pacing that makes XV look like a goddamn masterpiece.

The only thing that game had going was the superb OST and the graphics when it came out. I'm pretty sure this game won't be missed a fraction of what XII or X were by the fanbase.
Exactly this.

Let's be real, a huge percentage of people in this thread either skipped by or straight up hated FF12 back then, but now we're talking about it being a misunderstood gem etc etc.

Same will happen with 13. The latest or near latest FF always gets shat on. I remember people loving 7 but hating 8, then loving 8 but hating 9. So on and so forth.

Like I said in my first post, 13 has a LOT of good going for it. Some bad, but so does every FF.

They'll make a 13 remaster and this OT for that game will be FULL of people talking about how much they appreciate it and are enjoying it, i guarantee. You could probably trace their post history to the original release and talking about how it's the worst thing ever.
Ppl were never going to admit to this lol

aravuus

Oh hey, there's a pretty good accessory you can get when the rest of Golmore Jungle opens up: Sage's Ring. Cuts MP costs in half and absorbs Holy damage. Quick step-by-step:

1. Go all the way south from the village in Golmore Jungle, to Feywood
2. Go straight south in Feywood's first zone, then head west to an entrance to Henne Mines
3. You'll find yourself in a small corridor. The Sage's Ring is a one-time chest that has a 25% chance of spawning in front of the wreckage on the left "lane" there.

There are a couple of bats that might fuck your day up in the corridor, but hey, the game auto-saves so why not give it a try? I could take them on comfortably with a ~32lvl party, so something like a 24-25lvl party should survive the suicide runs to the chest. Just make use of stuff like Decoy on your tank, Vanish on your leader (and gambits off for leader or everyone obv), Protect on leader etc.

e: omg Protect and Shell need 2 MP with this thing on. Now I can definitely start casting those on everyone.

aravuus

The guild merchant in Muthru Bazaar is selling Ethers for 222gil right now, does the price go up or down according to some weird rule? Sounds low and oddly specific. Sure ethers aren't as valuable in XII as they are in the other games, but still... 222 gil.

Also I wish I could kick Larsa out. He's worthless and a waste of Phoenix Downs atm.

I'm one of those that really enjoyed FFXIII, but in no way is that game going to get looked back on in the same way XII is now in 5 years time. It was more fundamentally floored, and is straight up nowhere near as good a game as XII is.

thedan001

Did Espers see any update in Zodiac Age to make them not as useless?

They're playable now, as in you can control them. That means you can decide whenever to their their final attacks as needed, instead of trying to trigger ridiculous conditions to set them off.

This makes it much more worthwhile to use, especially in a last ditch effort.

edgefusion

They're playable now, as in you can control them. That means you can decide whenever to their their final attacks as needed, instead of trying to trigger ridiculous conditions to set them off.

This makes it much more worthwhile to use, especially in a last ditch effort.

Oh that's awesome! I loved Espers and was always so disappointed that there's never really a chance to use them.

Zafir

That won't happen with XIII.

XIII is already a generation old. We got XV, and while XV is trash I still think XIII is trash also. They both have their pros and cons (XV has travel, but XIII had better pacing etc) but both are inferior to X and XII. They're shit mainline FF games.

I admit I didn't like XII as much when it launched. But I had a 360 already and was into online gaming. It came too late, especially in Europe with its 2007 release. Don't forget vanilla XII is quite a bit worse than this and IZJS.

What did change is my opinion on story and battles. This is also partially because of DA:O, TW3 etc, and age. I probably grew too old for emo spiky hair daddy issues. I started to detest random encounters some time as well. But then again i've always prefered the systems of Chrono.
You say that but with the release of XV, people already looked at XIII more fondly. That said, they're both pretty medicore in comparison to the golden era of FF.

Either way, my opinion of XII has gone from didn't like it much at all, to kind of decent but still flawed. Turbo mode is a band aid fix to the areas being too empty and large, as well as the pacing issues. The classes fixes some of my issues of the license board/characters being too samey, though I still can't stand having to buy licenses to use equipment/magic. I still think manual controls are clunky(why does it list White Magic just greayed out when I don't have any white magic learned for example...), and I wish you could save gambit sets. But I can get over those issues.

nonsense story that needs backlog reading to be understood and a pacing that makes XV look like a goddamn masterpiece.
Sorry, but that's a load of bollocks. They're both as bad as each other for not telling you their stories. XV hides its story in its many side projects like Kingsglaive and Brotherhood, and then proceeds to have everything happen off-screen in the game itself. While XIII also shoved back story into it's prequel novel and stuff, at least the events that happened in XIII you actually saw!

What's a good Steal-Gambit? I remember using "Foe: HP=100%" in the original and it's what I'm using now but it's still a rather clunky set-up.

-NeoTB1-

Are there any specific items I shouldn't sell to the bazaar? Teleport stones seem pretty useful/rare

I don't know about others, but I try to at least keep 1 of each item on-hand. If it looks like I am picking up tons of a certain item, I can safely assume it's common and get rid of them. But if I pick up something and only find 1 or 2, I tend to keep it just in case. It's an old habit I picked up in other games that use a similar system.

Also, yes. Keep your teleport stones.

Loving this game and the gambit system and the 2x speed. I finally made it out the waterway dungeon and was in the desert hitting wolfs when the chain system finally hit me. I reached a 54 chain last night. Thank you R2!!!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm one of those that really enjoyed FFXIII, but in no way is that game going to get looked back on in the same way XII is now in 5 years time. It was more fundamentally floored, and is straight up nowhere near as good a game as XII is.

One of XIII's problems is that its not particularly adventurous creatively. The battle-system shows some evolution, but the game as a whole is just an elongated and excessively streamlined iteration of the model established in FFX.

FFXII is a real one-off, tonally and mechanically, compared to the rest of the franchise.

aravuus

Secret shop in Necrohol of Nabudis, it's off of the map. Earliest you can get the merchant to sell it is after Giruvegan

Oh god, it's there? Jesus, I can't wait to suicide run through the place again lmao

Still get nightmares of that place

e: also Curaga, where do I get that? Not sure if Cura is enough anymore

e2: got it.
Merchant on Bur-Omisace.

ianpm31

Man I having such a great time with 12. The 2x feature is a godsend and the gambit system is so deep. It's incredibly rewarding after a failed attempt to go back and make adjustments to your gambit system and then return to destroy your target. FF took a huge step back after 12 its very apparent now. Must I say how great the soundtrack is too. Loving this game

h3ro

Is there a min/max job consensus for each character?

I've seen the multiple lists for best overall jobs but am looking for per character jobs. The lack of job changing ability has me frozen and I'm all about the ideal set up life.

kromeo

I've seen the multiple lists for best overall jobs but am looking for per character jobs. The lack of job changing ability has me frozen and I'm all about the ideal set up life.

Not really, Panelo works best as a mage, and maybe avoid mages with Bashe and Balthier but even then they can work fine.

Ashe, Vaan and Fran work well as any job

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Fran has the lowest stats, making guns an ideal choice for her as they deal base damage unaffected by stats. Support mage jobs like White Mage, Red Mage and Time Mage pair well with Machinist

Ashe and Penelo make the best mages.

Basch has the highest strength I think.

Vaan is good at everything

RaidenZR

I feel like I fucked up my party.

I've only assigned 1st jobs to Vaan, Penelo, Fran and Balthier, but if anyone wants to help me assign the remaining roles, then I welcome the help.

Vaan - Uhlan / ???
Penelo - Bushi / ???
Fran - Archer / ???
Balthier - Machinist / ???
Basch - ??? / ???
Ashe - ??? / ???

burnfout

Working hard today guys. Liking the Remote Play as always :)

Pz1Cc6elelkq90XbsctGLJWLYzB5R8vEz-TTENwT6HHIjF1DSOf5yPDlU8L9lMalJXgpbPuxxwwK2mJNsVYQaL8JLZXUkE2DXhsqTyaEYNWt98YWLxZOTH0tvW0YOf53fI1IY9jNRay-TlkfFGqzfT9o9ZGhKkOtmUdu1JEDfHrgR_iER_uOr5ac_Qn3g5OrVu-t5_HUvV-dy8L-TmJQtuk1CDgcdIO2NB1ijrDYrp2a_ZgARAVUTj6SMG4KPRSvJ7h6zABwb3N6hABQfgLdnw8JGvxISyXt0NL2iY1PmnP6_1N2dxO_pPIZHpZohiKoaYJXUV78Mqr0mYw-gKl0Chq17cjZn0p8YVYo_xnSSAW6l8a8ymhVfKIPrYGpLAFFlvIhabJcPSy4O52BA7xFgVOBxFJF3FHL4pN4nKlooezLIg7mhFH-9sWhE_96Pjabi93K10Rfj6azr8f4g15s3cU0nWtNNNjvEVfaV8mUwv4KgTEFaT5_K4RhfjrLCe62iCL6ttqnXtGqMH239t15kziEQViaK2qSw1y3Q1-MZpXD0ISoUP2cpXnyAnVILOn8VUhuHBK7ep7d2pAiFCpZisbxDUBCkyI3qG61KqEFcNHkQNS7BslZrJYjqA=w359-h638-no

The quests in this game have a way of making you feel like a total bastard. First there's the poor thing in the sandsea. Now I've been contracted to hunt the gil snapper who apparently terrorized the giza plains in rainy season, but that's clearly bullshit since its isolated on an island nobody knows how to get to and requires I manually build a bridge.

Did this rocktoise kick her dog or something?

kromeo

I've only assigned 1st jobs to Vaan, Penelo, Fran and Balthier, but if anyone wants to help me assign the remaining roles, then I welcome the help.

Vaan - Uhlan / ??? Shikari, Time mage
Penelo - Bushi / ??? Knight, Foebreaker,
Fran - Archer / ??? Red mage, white mage
Balthier - Machinist / ??? White mage, red mage
Basch - ??? / ???
Ashe - ??? / ??? black mage/monk

I've added some suggestions based on what seem to be popular combinations

gattsu

Well, job assignment is the main diff between this release and the original FFXII release so that's one of the main selling points for existing fans. Theorycrafting about party builds is half the fun of it for someone who's played before.

Kensuke

Vaan - Uhlan / ???
Penelo - Bushi / ???
Fran - Archer / ???
Basch - ??? / ???
Ashe - ??? / ???

In this case I would recommend:

Vaan - Uhlan / Time Mage
Penelo - Bushi / Shikari
Fran - Archer / Red Mage
Balthier - Machinist / White Mage
Basch - Monk / Foebreaker
Ashe - Knight / Black Mage

13ruce

Banned
Does it matter wich job you give a character? just got my copy of the game and i am plannin to play till Splatoon 2 comes out.

Can i just pick whatever job i want or do some jobs work better with some characters.

Btw never played this game ever before.

AndersK

Vaan - Uhlan / ???
Penelo - Bushi / ???
Fran - Archer / ???
Basch - ??? / ???
Ashe - ??? / ???

You didn't, really. Do you want to use all 12 jobs?
Of so:

Uhlan/Shikari
Bushi/Black mage (Katana damage is also dependent on magic power, ane Penelo has a bunch)
Archer/Red mage
Machinist/White Mage

Foebreaker/Monk
knight/Time mage.

Ashe is probably best for the latter.

aravuus

Urgh, there's a chest in Stilshrine of Miriam that essentially has a 0.25% chance of containing a Megalixir

Some of these chests are a fucking tease I swear

Is Larsa the best guest character in gaming? The kid is a lifesaver!

Until he starts lagging behind, especially if you're trying to go through high-level areas early. Kid just kept dying and I kept wasting my P. Downs lol

Top Bottom