• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

BumRush

Vaan, Ravager – Shikari/Foebreaker (Zalera, Shemhazai)
Balthier, Gun Mage - Machinist/White Mage (Famfrit, Zodiark)
Fran, Spellsword - Red Battlemage/Bushi (Belias, Cuchulainn, Zeromus, Exodus)
Ashe, Paladin – Knight/Time Battlemage (Mateus, Adrammalech, Hashmal)
Basch, Soldier - Uhlan/Archer
Penelo, Wizard - Black Mage/Monk (Chaos, Ultima)

Reading through the thread, I still think this will be my setup.

Thoughts?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Thoughts?
My only comment is that Balthier is supposedly, ironically, the worst gun user in the game. I decided to give the Machinist/White Mage combo to Penelo instead (who also has higher magic oriented stats)

But the difference is likely not that great, and this would get you through the game more than easily enough. Those are good class combos.

aravuus

Thoughts?

Foebreaker/Shikari and Knight/Time Battlemage have been more or less permanent members of my team so far, they're fantastic. Definitely steal the Karkata for the latter in Trial 3 if you want to wreck shit early on.

Uhlan/Archer sounds like a bit of a waste, if I'm being honest, though admittedly I haven't really taken a better look at either of those classes cause none of my characters are Uhlan or Archer. I'd replace them with a White Mage/Shikari. Equip them with Main Gauche and you've got a hell of a healer-tank.

BumRush

My only comment is that Balthier is supposedly, ironically, the worst gun user in the game. I decided to give the Machinist/White Mage combo to Penelo instead (who also has higher magic oriented stats)

What'd you give to Balthier? Can you post your job list if you don't mind?

Went with Uhlan for Ashe, and maybe Time Mage later? Should work well enough.

Anyways, I just reached the Ogir-Yensa Sandsea which is one of my favourite locations in the game. Always loved that place for its strange and eerie atmosphere, plus that music is just awesome. Also, the overall quality of the remastered soundtrack continues to impress me, but I do agree that some tracks have lost some of their oomph. It's not a big deal, of course, but in some areas I might switch to the OG music. Speaking of music, I believe Nam-Yensa has gotten a theme of its own now? Can't wait to hear that.

Kensuke

You didn't, really. Do you want to use all 12 jobs?
Of so:

Bushi/Black mage (Katana damage is also dependent on magic power, ane Penelo has a

Penelo is slowest with the katana and strength weighs heavier on it. For Penelo I'd say it's better to leave katanas behind and focus on Ninja Swords. She will do more DPS with Mesa and Yagyu Darkblade.

RaidenZR

I've added some suggestions based on what seem to be popular combinations

In this case I would recommend:

Vaan - Uhlan / Time Mage
Penelo - Bushi / Shikari
Fran - Archer / Red Mage
Balthier - Machinist / White Mage
Basch - Monk / Foebreaker
Ashe - Knight / Black Mage

Was definitely leaning to Fran being Red Mage.

You didn't, really. Do you want to use all 12 jobs?
Of so:

Uhlan/Shikari
Bushi/Black mage (Katana damage is also dependent on magic power, ane Penelo has a bunch)
Archer/Red mage
Machinist/White Mage

Foebreaker/Monk
knight/Time mage.

Ashe is probably best for the latter.

Fucked up was probably an exaggeration, but yes I did want to use all 12. I was kind of tipsy playing the first night and was overanxious about getting past the intro expository stuff. I don't know why I assigned Penelo to Bushi...

Anyways, thanks for the responses guys. I didn't do my part in terms of research so that helped.

BumRush

Foebreaker/Shikari and Knight/Time Battlemage have been more or less permanent members of my team so far, they're fantastic. Definitely steal the Karkata for the latter in Trial 3 if you want to wreck shit early on.

Uhlan/Archer sounds like a bit of a waste, if I'm being honest, though admittedly I haven't really taken a better look at either of those classes cause none of my characters are Uhlan or Archer. I'd replace them with a White Mage/Shikari. Equip them with Main Gauche and you've got a hell of a healer-tank.

You could maybe swap Balthier and Vaan's jobs round but what you've gone for is good combos

Okay, thank you. I'll tweak a bit.

Bluenoser

Really trying to keep my party reasonable and not overpowered, since I don't find it all that fun stomping on bosses in seconds.

So far not too bad. Just left Raithwall, and levels are all 20. Used the reflect/aero trick with Penelo and Ashe to down Demon wall and get my scathe mote, and 30LP (plus reward from Montblanc) Only OP weapon I have is a Gladius that I stole from Linbur Wolf. Belias was not very challenging, but I don't think he's really supposed to be.

Also, Aero is so fucking good. Combined with some of the augments black mage can get, if there are 2 or more enemies, Ashe can actually get MP back by casting it, so she can pretty much spam non stop.

Taking my time playing through this, and loving it. I always liked this game, but the improvements make it top tier in my view.

Rad-

Get rekt Gil Snapper by my early 20-ish level team. He got like one attack in because I kept him Immobilized, Silenced and Slowed. He had a shit load of HP though, took me like 15 minutes to kill him. I felt pretty tense during that because if he had gotten even one Blizzaga in it would have one shotted my whole team.

Kensuke

Thoughts?

If you swap Red Mage with Foebreaker both combinations become better imo. Vaan becomes more versatile and Foebreaker strengthens Bushi. Seems like your heart is set on a Fran Red Mage though, that's fine too.

-Mikey-

Very basic question to ask. Since you can move around the field during a battle, are there times when you'd want to have a character tank an enemy and the rest of the party would be behind the enemy?

I'm thinking as if it were an mmo (WoW). Also, is there bonus dmg dependent on flanking? Thanks!

iosefe

10 hours in, just got to bhujerba and Minda want to restart. I apparently hurt myself by getting too many quickenings but I also kinda want to try different classes

Thank you 4x speed

aravuus

Very basic question to ask. Since you can move around the field during a battle, are there times when you'd want to have a character tank an enemy and the rest of the party would be behind the enemy?

I'm thinking as if it were an mmo (WoW). Also, is there bonus dmg dependent on flanking? Thanks!

Well sure, having a tank is always a good idea, especially if you have squishy mages in your party. I made Ashe my tank-healer (White Mage/Shikari) and I keep Lure on her at all times. Most fights my other characters barely take any damage, except from AOE attacks obviously.

I don't think combat positioning is that important, though. You don't deal extra damage from behind or anything, enemy attacks all either hit just one target or your whole party as far as I know and so on. Someone can of course correct me if I'm wrong, but positioning has never been something I've paid any attention in FFXII.

BumRush

If you swap Red Mage with Foebreaker both combinations become better imo. Vaan becomes more versatile and Foebreaker strengthens Bushi. Seems like your heart is set on a Fran Red Mage though, that's fine too.

So Vaan as Shikari / Red Battlemage?

I'm beginning to think I made a mistake. I'm in Raithwall after ten hours and I'm completely missing magic users. I made Fran a Time Mage because I wanted a combination of crossbows and Haste stuff, but I can't even find that magic yet. Ashe is a Knight and has silly HP so far, but only the gear that sells outside. Balthier is a Machinist and I recently got him set up to steal from everything. Then I have Monk (Vaan), Bushi (Basch) and... that thief class with Penelo.

How much longer until I can dual-class? I'm having a bit of trouble doing enough damage to the demon wall and it feels like I'm getting all these spells that I can't use. Having to rely on Hi-Potions and Cure is really weak.

Rad-

I'm beginning to think I made a mistake. I'm in Raithwall after ten hours and I'm completely missing magic users. I made Fran a Time Mage because I wanted a combination of crossbows and Haste stuff, but I can't even find that magic yet. Ashe is a Knight and has silly HP so far, but only the gear that sells outside. Balthier is a Machinist and I recently got him set up to steal from everything. Then I have Monk (Vaan), Bushi (Basch) and... that thief class with Penelo.

How much longer until I can dual-class? I'm having a bit of trouble doing enough damage to the demon wall and it feels like I'm getting all these spells that I can't use. Having to rely on Hi-Potions and Cure is really weak.

You get it after Raithwall. So like 20 minutes more.

Also if you are talking about the first demon wall then you don't have to beat it. The only thing you get for beating it is few motes. Just run away and kill the second one who is much easier.

aravuus

You unlock the second jobs when you finish the Tomb, so not long to go

Everything is salvageable even if you feel like your job assignments are weak right now, so definitely ask for job combination tips here when you do finish the tomb

traveler

Not Wario
Looking for a thumbs up or down on initial job thoughts-

Main Party

Ashe- Knight/Time Mage
Basch- Bushi/Monk
Balthier- Shikari/Foebreaker

Fran- Black Mage/Red Mage
Penelo- White Mage/Machinist
Vaan- Uhlan/Archer

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
What'd you give to Balthier? Can you post your job list if you don't mind?
Yeah, sure:

Vaan: Shikari/Foebreaker
Penelo: White Mage/Machinist
Balthier: Time Mage/Uhlan
Fran: Archer/Red Mage
Basch: Knight/Bushi
Ashe: Monk/Black Mage

Since I heard Fran is the worst with bows as well (maybe due to her attack animation length? I'm not sure as to what the actual reason is), technically the way to optimize this would be to swap Fran and Balthier's jobs, but Balthier looked too good with a crossbow for me to pass that up.

Meowster

Ashe - Knight
Vaan - Monk
Fran - Bushi

So I want all three of these to have magic-oriented secondary jobs but I can't decide on who to give what. I suppose Ashe could be anything Red/White/or Time but I'm torn as to who I want to be my Black Mage between Vaan and Fran.

BumRush

Yeah, sure:

Penelo: White Mage/Machinist
Balthier: Time Mage/Uhlan
Fran: Archer/Red Mage
Basch: Knight/Bushi
Ashe: Monk/Black Mage

Since I heard Fran is the worst with bows as well (maybe due to her attack animation length? I'm not sure as to what the actual reason is), technically the way to optimize this would be to swap Fran and Balthier's jobs, but Balthier looked too good with a crossbow for me to pass that up.

Sweet, thanks!

kromeo

Ashe - Knight
Vaan - Monk
Fran - Bushi

So I want all three of these to have magic-oriented secondary jobs but I can't decide on who to give what. I suppose Ashe could be anything Red/White/or Time but I'm torn as to who I want to be my Black Mage between Vaan and Fran.

Out of those 3 I would say Knight/time mage, Monk/Black mage and Bushi/Red mage are your best options if you want all 3 to have magic

Bluenoser

Oh god, it's there? Jesus, I can't wait to suicide run through the place again lmao

Still get nightmares of that place

e: also Curaga, where do I get that? Not sure if Cura is enough anymore

e2: got it.
Merchant on Bur-Omisace.

can also get on Cerobi Steppe in a chest. Not sure which chest. Probably rare though. (referring to Telekenisis)

aravuus

Well, now that I accidentally spawned him, I guess I gotta do some Negalmuur grinding. This is probably kind of whatever after level 30, but whatever.

e: oh shit, these little guys drop Teleport Stones! Might as well max those out at least.

Ashe - Knight
Vaan - Monk
Fran - Bushi

Black Mage is supposedly best paired with Monk, so I'd definitely make Vaan Monk/Black Mage. Time Mage goes well with Knight to counter Knight's slowness with 3x Swiftness.

can also get on Cerobi Steppe in a chest. Not sure which chest. Probably rare though. (referring to Telekenisis)

Thanks, I'll look into it!

Iwas basically in the same spot as you and it's okay as the games magic really doesn't "baloon" until you get you second jobclass which is right after Raithwalll. As others have said you don't need to face the first demon wall.

Edit: Ayyy Fran is the worse archer and Balthier gunner, lol the game plays you from the start!!!

hawk2025

I have assigned so far:

Vaan - Shikari
Penelo - Red Mage
Fran - Archer
Bathiel - Machinist

Can I get an optimized path from this point on? I don't have any Cure spell yet, which is annoying me, and no idea how to pick a second job.

Mcdohl

It's funny: after having played FFXV the cutscenes in this game feel like an improvement. Better direction and writing overall.

Niks

Working hard today guys. Liking the Remote Play as always :)

Pz1Cc6elelkq90XbsctGLJWLYzB5R8vEz-TTENwT6HHIjF1DSOf5yPDlU8L9lMalJXgpbPuxxwwK2mJNsVYQaL8JLZXUkE2DXhsqTyaEYNWt98YWLxZOTH0tvW0YOf53fI1IY9jNRay-TlkfFGqzfT9o9ZGhKkOtmUdu1JEDfHrgR_iER_uOr5ac_Qn3g5OrVu-t5_HUvV-dy8L-TmJQtuk1CDgcdIO2NB1ijrDYrp2a_ZgARAVUTj6SMG4KPRSvJ7h6zABwb3N6hABQfgLdnw8JGvxISyXt0NL2iY1PmnP6_1N2dxO_pPIZHpZohiKoaYJXUV78Mqr0mYw-gKl0Chq17cjZn0p8YVYo_xnSSAW6l8a8ymhVfKIPrYGpLAFFlvIhabJcPSy4O52BA7xFgVOBxFJF3FHL4pN4nKlooezLIg7mhFH-9sWhE_96Pjabi93K10Rfj6azr8f4g15s3cU0nWtNNNjvEVfaV8mUwv4KgTEFaT5_K4RhfjrLCe62iCL6ttqnXtGqMH239t15kziEQViaK2qSw1y3Q1-MZpXD0ISoUP2cpXnyAnVILOn8VUhuHBK7ep7d2pAiFCpZisbxDUBCkyI3qG61KqEFcNHkQNS7BslZrJYjqA=w359-h638-no

Never tried remote play before. How do I achieve this wizardry???

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
So, is there any way to recharge mist charges without hitting mist charge during a quickening chain or going back to a crystal?

cLOUDo

Especially an issue because going for quickenings as early as possible was highly recommended in vanilla version to multiply mp.

Went with more or less the same. Except balthier is the knight bushi.
Panelo is blm mnk
Ashe is whm mch
Basch is uhlan time mage
Fran archer red mage
I screwed myself with fran by picking archer first, which you only largely need for swiftnessx3 and burning bow(augments red mage's ultimate spell by 50% while equipped along with all fire magic).
What to pick first is kind of a minor thing people should be careful of, start off with a class thats less dependent on you buying magick and techs since theyre not readily available for a while and just continue to boost stats, preferably hp and str over others since again they dont depend on you having the right spell/tech to use.

Also for the blm and monk, just know blm takes a while to become good since lv1 spells are no longer aoe and phys damage+ healing from monk will trump it for a while.
Balthier with machinists is a bit questionable imo too, he doesnt have the best magic and hit mch animations are the slowest.

They dont share the board, they just share the same licenses if any. All quickening licenses get locked once you pick 3. Honestly it appears there are several ways to break difficulty in this version so theres little need to fret over it.

It highlights the characters that currently have the license in the top right. Though it tell you if you can learn it or not

Is this tested? If so how does the game decide which paths to open up on the second board and which one to lock out?

Balthier as machinist is for the lore xd and ashe as BKM is because she have the highest magic (or that was i hear)

i will switch fran's first job based in what you said (first RM and then archer)

now, which espers should i use for each class? lol

I have assigned so far:

Vaan - Shikari
Penelo - Red Mage
Fran - Archer
Bathiel - Machinist

Can I get an optimized path from this point on? I don't have any Cure spell yet, which is annoying me, and no idea how to pick a second job.

Doesn't red mage have cure spells? Pretty sure they do...

A few newb questions:

• How do you heal quickly post-battle? Set a gambit?
  • Speaking of gambits, I have no idea what I'm doing with those. Any common setups I should use? Can I have one setup for a boss and another for trash mobs?
  • Does MP regen just from walking around? My casters seem to run out pretty quick, any tips for MP conservation?
  • Do you cycle characters in and out to spread XP gains?
Played almost all the FF's, but somehow missed 12. I was always waiting for a version like this, and the 2x and 4x speed are amazing.

Korezo

Why couldn't they add the ability to respec, the entire time I'm playing the game I'm thinking I effed something up. Game feels stressful now, compared to the open job system. Already made the mistake of making Vaan shikari, should of gave him something worst because I never use him.

jackal27

Banned
Should I give Fran Archer first or Red Battlemage? Does it matter?

I hear magic takes a while to come into its own, but also Fran comes equipped with a couple of spells already. However, the area that I'm in now doesn't any Maces for her to use!

BEGINNER TIP: If you have the money at the start of the game, consider stocking up on 1 of each weapon from the weapon shop. It'll mean that you can freely give people the classes you want later on without having to worry about them not being able to equip a weapon.

A few newb questions:

• Speaking of gambits, I have no idea what I'm doing with those. Any common setups I should use? Can I have one setup for a boss and another for trash mobs?
  • Does MP regen just from walking around? My casters seem to run out pretty quick, any tips for MP conservation?
Played almost all the FF's, but somehow missed 12. I was always waiting for a version like this, and the 2x and 4x speed are amazing.
1-You can press "X" to pull up the battle menu and use it at any time, you can select left and right to command different characters
2- Experiment a lot. Think of it like programming your party's AI.
3- I actually don't know on this one. I know there are a lot of skills of regenerating MP from what I can tell though
4- I'm not sure if characters gain experience out of party or not. Sorry!

Bluenoser

Doesn't red mage have cure spells? Pretty sure they do...

Red mage is able to learn Cura and Curaga, but those spells don't become available until a bit into the game. So unless your character starts with cure (which you can buy immediately) you won't be able to use Red mage to cure for a while. (Fran, Ashe, Penello have cure learned from the beginning)

Shahed

Okay I've been wondering on how to allocate Espers around my party. Do they just fill in an empty space so you csn reach additional nodes? Not sure how to set them up to be honest. Here's the jobs I chose.

Basch: Bushi/Monk
Ashe: Knight/Time Mage
Balthier: Machinist/White Mage
Fran: Red Mage/Archer
Penelo: Monk/Black Mage

Yeah I know I have Monk twice. Basch was meant to get Uhlan instead but I made a mistake somewhere and I can't be bothered to start the game again.

Is there an ideal Esper allocation for the above setup? I typically use Vaan, Ashe and Basch as my main three, but do mess with the others

aravuus

i can be ur angle

rjgIqkd.png

or ur demmon

pH8igAk.png

Keep em coming. I take back what I said earlier about the Negalmuur grinding tactic being probably worthless after level 30. Vaan and Balthier have already gone from 35 to 44.

This is going to trivialize the next 10 hours but man, I can't stop. Or well, I actually have to stop soon cause I'm running out of ethers, but still.

Okay I've been wondering on how to allocate Espers around my party. Do they just fill in an empty space so you csn reach additional nodes? Not sure how to set them up to be honest. Here's the jobs I chose.

Yeah, they create licenses that work as bridges to the small license islands on the boards. Can't help you with the esper allocation, though. I personally just wing it, when I get a new esper I check who'd get the most out of it and just give it to them.

Okay, I think that I settled on a party comp.

Vaan - Shikari/White Mage
Ashe - Knight/Time Mage
Basch - Uhlan/Archer
Panelo - Black Mage/Monk
Balthier - Bushi/Foe Breaker
Fran - Red Mage/Machinist

Any criticisms?

kromeo

Okay, I think that I settled on a party comp.

Vaan - Shikari/White Mage
Ashe - Knight/Time Mage
Basch - Uhlan/Archer
Panelo - Black Mage/Monk
Balthier - Bushi/Foe Breaker
Fran - Red Mage/Machinist

Any criticisms?

I would swap Shikari and archer round personally but those work fine if you want to keep them

Loz246789

A few newb questions:

To go through these in order:
Yeah, basically. If you want to get fancy and have gambit slots to spare, one idea is to have a "heal if low on hp" gambit at the top of your white mage equivalent, and a "heal if not at full hp, when nothing else is going on" gambit at the bottom. It's up to you to figure out what works for you though.

After healing, one super basic, early game set up to consider is to have two attack gambits: Top priority is who the party leader is attacking, second priority is...whatever you want them to focus on. The nearest enemy, for example. Just having the former can be limiting if (for whatever reason) the leader hasn't attacked the enemy yet, so both can help out in that regard. Also, feel free to swap out "attack" for a spell if an enemy is weak to it. Other gambits to look out for are the "weak to element" gambits, and generally gambits that allow you to distinguish between different enemy types.
You can probably get away with a single setup for the general stuff, but you can change gambits at any time. So be flexible!

There are a few solutions to MP troubles. Using your full party obviously helps, and don't ignore save crystals even with the auto save, since they heal your party. There's also some licenses that decrease MP costs/increase MP regeneration. Finally, whilst I'm not super far in the zodiac version to be the best judge of this, you *do* have ethers at your disposal, so feel free to use them if needed.

You can definitely get by with just a party of three, but there's a lot to be said for the flexibility of a full party, especially with the job system. At the very least, if your main party dies, you'll have to switch in the reserves, so it helps if they can take a hit before using a Phoenix down or whatever.

jackal27

Banned
To go through these in order:
Yeah, basically. If you want to get fancy and have gambit slots to spare, one idea is to have a "heal if low on hp" gambit at the top of your white mage equivalent, and a "heal if not at full hp, when nothing else is going on" gambit at the bottom. It's up to you to figure out what works for you though.

After healing, one super basic, early game set up to consider is to have two attack gambits: Top priority is who the party leader is attacking, second priority is...whatever you want them to focus on. The nearest enemy, for example. Just having the former can be limiting if (for whatever reason) the leader hasn't attacked the enemy yet, so both can help out in that regard. Also, feel free to swap out "attack" for a spell if an enemy is weak to it. Other gambits to look out for are the "weak to element" gambits, and generally gambits that allow you to distinguish between different enemy types.
You can probably get away with a single setup for the general stuff, but you can change gambits at any time. So be flexible!

There are a few solutions to MP troubles. Using your full party obviously helps, and don't ignore save crystals even with the auto save, since they heal your party. There's also some licenses that decrease MP costs/increase MP regeneration. Finally, whilst I'm not super far in the zodiac version to be the best judge of this, you *do* have ethers at your disposal, so feel free to use them if needed.

You can definitely get by with just a party of three, but there's a lot to be said for the flexibility of a full party, especially with the job system. At the very least, if your main party dies, you'll have to switch in the reserves, so it helps if they can take a hit before using a Phoenix down or whatever.
Ah, so characters outside of the party do not gain exp? That is one of my most hated things in RPGs haha.

Loz246789

Ah, so characters outside of the party do not gain exp? That is one of my most hated things in RPGs haha.
Nope. They do gain License points though, so if they drag behind a few levels it's not a huge issue, since equipment and licenses can make a huge difference. (There's also an accessory that doubles your exp gain, so if you get one of those it can help people catch up)
...It's when you're at endgame and they're level 20 whilst everyone else is level 50 that it becomes an issue. Not that I'd know. :p

Top Bottom