• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

It genuinely makes me happy to see so many people giving this game the chance it deserved. It's one of my all time favorites and I'll be playing it for the third time if it comes to PC or whenever I can grab a base model PS4 for $150. Whichever comes first lol

WarAdept

Going for the super optimal set up, since I want to min/max the hell out of this game.

Samurai/Knight
Hunter/Breaker
White Mage/Machinist
Black Mage/Monk
Black Mage/Red Mage
Uhlan/Time Mage

I'm just not sure who to assign which to. Obviously Samurai/Knight and Hunter/Breaker are going to 2 of the guys since they're the quickest at combos.

But still a conundrum.

Maybe Vaan as Sam/Knight as a start.

t0rment

One thing to be very careful of in this game is to not learn quickenings willy nilly at the earliest possible time.
Quickening slots can lock up to 8 license cells behind them, some of them core to making classes shine, only 3 of which a character can unlock over the course of the game.
For eg my vaan started as a hunter, all of the different ninja blades are locked behind quickenings. Now i need to decide, whether i want all of them, in which case ill be sacrificing abilities of my 2nd job, or if should only unlock the license for the ultimate ninja sword that makes use of my intended build

this should be in the op tbh

Aeana

What's "remedy lore"?

As I scrolled through my characters screen, I saw Blind, Poison, Silence and Slow un-greyed so I purchased the spells thinking I can use them.

I can't. Womp womp.

Remedy lore makes the remedy item able to cure the status effects listed in the lore. You're gonna want someone with remedy lore 3 for when you inevitably get diseased!

jackal27

Banned
I am stressing out SO much about my jobs. At this point in the game I already have Vaan locked into Shikari and Penelo locked into Monk. Think you guys can give me a hand? Right now I'm at:

Shikari/Breaker - Vaan
Knight/Bushi - Balthier
Machinist/White Mage - Fran
Uhlan/Time Mage - Basch
Archer/Red Mage - Ashe
Monk/Black Mage - Penelo

but before I was thinking:

Shikari/Breaker - Vaan
Machinist/White Mage - Balthier
Archer/Red Mage - Fran
Uhlan/Bushi - Basch
Knight/Time Mage - Ashe
Monk/Black Mage - Penelo

This is so hard for me, because I'd really like Ashe to be my offensive spell user, but I've already given Penelo Monk, which seems to pair best with Black Mage? I also hear Ashe works well as a Knight? But that Knight/Bushi is one of the best combos in the game on Basch or Balthier. Basch seems to fit Uhlan pretty well, but is it really ok to make him a Time Mage?? I have no idea what to do right now and I've never played this game much so I don't know what's going to be needed for the infamous post-game. I also don't want to use any jobs twice.

Slaythe

Quickenings, like Espers, can form a bridge to some of the "islands" on the License Board. But since you have two classes, you need to definitely make sure WHICH 3 of the 4 Quickenings you activate so that you don't miss out on any of the islands that you want.

What is this garbage ?

So if you get 3 quickenings on your first class, you fuck up the second class ?!

Do the first and second jobs share the same board ? How do you know which ones cross over ?

Why is this so confusing and why did nobody bring it up until now ?

Question:

When I am shopping and looking at items, is there any way to tell if a character who I am interested in buying an item for has the needed license to use such item without backing out and going to the license menu?

Ourobolus

Banned
What is this garbage ?

So if you get 3 quickenings on your first class, you fuck up the second class ?!

Do the first and second jobs share the same board ? How do you know which ones cross over ?

Not really. The four quickening tiles on one board are the same on the other board, just in different locations. So if you did all three already, when you get the next board it will be as if you opened up three on that board too.

Worst case you miss out on one island which isn't that big of a deal. Some combinations of classes will make it so you can't get everything anyway, since you would need four quickenings

Is it a waste to make Vaan a Shikari & White Mage and Balthier a Shikari & Foebreaker?

Concerns: can Vaan and Balthier both learn quickenings that lead to ninja swords, or does it get claimed globally by a class? Is it a waste of Vaan's strength to be this tank/support role? I'm going to have Balthier and Basch as my main heavy hitters and Genji Glove wearers, so not missing out on that.

I wish I knew about the Quickenings unlocking lodes before I decided to learn 1 on every character, and 2 on Basch.

Especially an issue because going for quickenings as early as possible was highly recommended in vanilla version to multiply mp.

so i finally decied for this party
if help to somebody...

vaan: shikari/foebreaker
Balthier: machinist/white mage
Fran: Archer/red Mage
Bash: Knight/Bushi
Ashe: Black Mage/monk
penelo: Uhlan/timeBattlemage

well balanced, lore-friendly(ish) and all jobs used

any comment, suggestions is well received

Went with more or less the same. Except balthier is the knight bushi.
Panelo is blm mnk
Ashe is whm mch
Basch is uhlan time mage
Fran archer red mage
I screwed myself with fran by picking archer first, which you only largely need for swiftnessx3 and burning bow(augments red mage's ultimate spell by 50% while equipped along with all fire magic).
What to pick first is kind of a minor thing people should be careful of, start off with a class thats less dependent on you buying magick and techs since theyre not readily available for a while and just continue to boost stats, preferably hp and str over others since again they dont depend on you having the right spell/tech to use.

Also for the blm and monk, just know blm takes a while to become good since lv1 spells are no longer aoe and phys damage+ healing from monk will trump it for a while.
Balthier with machinists is a bit questionable imo too, he doesnt have the best magic and hit mch animations are the slowest.

What is this garbage ?

They dont share the board, they just share the same licenses if any. All quickening licenses get locked once you pick 3. Honestly it appears there are several ways to break difficulty in this version so theres little need to fret over it.
Question:

When I am shopping and looking at items, is there any way to tell if a character who I am interested in buying an item for has the needed license to use such item without backing out and going to the license menu?
It highlights the characters that currently have the license in the top right. Though it tell you if you can learn it or not
Not really. The four quickening tiles on one board are the same on the other board, just in different locations. So if you did all three already, when you get the next board it will be as if you opened up three on that board too.

Worst case you miss out on one island which isn't that big of a deal. Some combinations of classes will make it so you can't get everything anyway, since you would need four quickenings

Is this tested? If so how does the game decide which paths to open up on the second board and which one to lock out?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Found a wonderful place to grind early on when you get Ashe for the second time. The place will be in constant alarm state with tons of soldiers coming at you. Just keep killing them and going back to save crystal etc. You will get tons of potions, phoenix downs, gil, LP and experience, and also 100 chains. 2x speed makes it so much easier. With gambits set to attack nearby foe, it's pretty much auto-grind.

Havok1313

Thinking of:

Vaan Shikari/Breaker
Penelo Black mage/Monk
Balthier Uhlan/Time mage
Fran White mage/Machinist
Basch Bushi/Knight
Ashe Knight/Time Mage

I feel like I'm not really missing out on much by not having a Red mage or Archer, right?

Now to actually play some more of the game until I need to think about Quickenings and Espers :(

jackal27

Banned
Thinking of:

Vaan Shikari/Breaker
Penelo Black mage/Monk
Balthier Uhlan/Time mage
Basch Bushi/Knight
Ashe Knight/Time Mage

I feel like I'm not really missing out on much by not having a Red mage or Archer, right?

Now to actually play some more of the game until I need to think about Quickenings and Espers :(
I actually keep hearing that Red Mages are really great so I'd look into that.

Thinking of:

Vaan Shikari/Breaker
Penelo Black mage/Monk
Balthier Uhlan/Time mage
Basch Bushi/Knight
Ashe Knight/Time Mage

Archer has early 3x swiftness
Red mage is VERY versatile, it can use greatswords cast mid range spells of a lot of types, has arcane magic EXCLUSIVE to it(dark and gravity trees) and its the only class that can use ARDOR, the ultimate fire spell

jackal27

Banned
Literal hours of research and I'm thinking at this point that I'm just going to go with my original team plan...

Shikari/Breaker - Vaan
Archer/Red Mage - Fran
Uhlan/Bushi - Basch
Knight/Time Mage - Ashe
Monk/Black Mage - Penelo

Are there any issues with this setup? I'm missing out on Knight/Bushi which is breaking my heart, and Balthier is not a great Machinist OR White Mage from what I hear, but I just can't find a way around it.

These graphics are LIT

DEksQIBVoAA1JB0

My main team looks like this:

Vaan - Monk/Bushi
Fran - Red Mage/Black Mage
Balthier - White Mage/Machinist

Second Team:

Basch - Breaker/Shikari
Penelo - Uhlan/Time Mage
Ashe - Knight/Archer

When can I make my characters change jobs? I made a mistake early on in game

I'm sorry but you can't.
You can just choose a second job later on.

Literal hours of research and I'm thinking at this point that I'm just going to go with my original team plan...

Shikari/Breaker - Vaan
Archer/Red Mage - Fran
Uhlan/Bushi - Basch
Knight/Time Mage - Ashe
Monk/Black Mage - Penelo

Are there any issues with this setup? I'm missing out on Knight/Bushi which is breaking my heart, and Balthier is not a great Machinist OR White Mage from what I hear, but I just can't find a way around it.

I know, that's a really safe setup. That's my fallback if I chicken out, but right now leaning towards:

Vaan: Shikari & White Mage
Balthier: Shikari & Foebreaker
Fran: Archer & Red Mage
Basch: Bushi & Uhlan
Ashe: Knight & Time Mage
Penelo: Black Mage & Monk

I could get past Balthier being wasted on White Mage/Machinist.

If you really wanted Knight/Bushi you could swap Ashe into an Uhlan/Time Mage giving Basch Knight/Bushi. Are you sad about not having it because Excalibur and holy robes make an undead slayer? If so then I think Penelo can take care of that, having Holy will let her fuck some shit up.

Everyone is posting their team so here's what I've settled on:

Vaan: Monk/Time Mage
Basch: Foebreaker/Uhlan
Balthier: Shikari/Bushi
Fran: Black Mage/Archer
Ashe: Red Mage/Knight
Panelo: White Mage/Machinist

Mostly based upon what weapons I like seeing each character use and making sure I have an even distribution across the board.

Naar

I played the original on ps2 but stopped after about 6-10 hours in because I didn't really like the AI controlling my party and the story felt overwhelming.

But I recently played FF XV and even though the party members were AI controlled, I didn't really mind it.

You think I would like the gambit system again in XII? Everything about XII is amazing to me, except the party control/setup

Kensuke

Shikari/Breaker - Vaan
Archer/Red Mage - Fran
Uhlan/Bushi - Basch
Knight/Time Mage - Ashe
Monk/Black Mage - Penelo

Don't stress too much, this setup is totally fine and will allow you to wreck the game easily. Knight/Bushi is slightly overhyped imo, as you probably want your Bushi to be under berserk when slaying bosses and not casting big healing spells. Your Ashe can now do that and Time Magic, making her very well-rounded.

Shikari/Breaker - Vaan
Machinist/White Mage - Balthier > give this to ashe
Archer/Red Mage - Fran
Uhlan/Bushi - Basch
Knight/Time Mage - Ashe > make balthier the knight and replace bushi with time mage from basch
Monk/Black Mage - Penelo

Edited in my recommendation. Ill have to check but iirc most of the time magicks can be obtained by other classes except some in the middle.
Just give famfrit to your machinist and itll double as a time mage and let the redmage learn the rest. Both will have better or same mag stat.
Youll miss out on good doom and petrify though which will be limited a bit by your uhlan mag as bach uhlan doesnt have very good mag growth.

jackal27

Banned
Don't stress too much, this setup is totally fine and will allow you to wreck the game easily. Knight/Bushi is slightly overhyped imo, as you probably want your Bushi to be under berserk when slaying bosses and not casting big healing spells. Your Ashe can now do that and Time Magic, making her very well-rounded.
That actually makes a lot of sense. I never really though about how I didn't want my Bushi to be healing. Still having trouble settling with Balthier though.

I know, that's a really safe setup. That's my fallback if I chicken out, but right now leaning towards:

Vaan: Shikari & White Mage
Balthier: Shikari & Foebreaker
Fran: Archer & Red Mage
Basch: Bushi & Uhlan
Ashe: Knight & Time Mage
Penelo: Black Mage & Monk

I could get past Balthier being wasted on White Mage/Machinist.

If you really wanted Knight/Bushi you could swap Ashe into an Uhlan/Time Mage giving Basch Knight/Bushi. Are you sad about not having it because Excalibur and holy robes make an undead slayer? If so then I think Penelo can take care of that, having Holy will let her fuck some shit up.
Yeah I just keep hearing that the Excalibur combo is I kind of awesome. I suppose yeah Penelo could do that though. I also just like the idea of Ashe as a Knight. Uhlan on Ashe sounds so weird to me, but I suppose it's doable. I'd also heard that Uhlan was basically made for Basch because he has the highest speed with spears?

Edited in my recommendation. Ill have to check but iirc most of the time magicks can be obtained by other classes except some in the middle.
Just give famfrit to your machinist and itll double as a time mage and let the redmage learn the rest. Both will have better or same mag stat.
Youll miss out on good doom and petrify though which will be limited a bit by your uhlan mag as bach uhlan doesnt have very good mag growth.
I thought of this as well, but Machinist Ashe feels SO WEIRD hahaha. I also just know with so many pseudo-healers I don't know if I'll get as much use out of Ashe as I'd like to. I'd really like to have her and Basch in my party a lot if I can, but I can always settle for Fran I suppose... I'd seriously considered Knight/Bushi for Batlhier and Uhlan/Time for Ashe, but like I said... Gun-toting Ashe gives me the willies for some reason? I should probably just get over it.

EDIT: I also thought about making Ashe Archer/Red Mage and Fran Machinist/White Mage so that I could make Ashe a little more offensive. I'm not sure how I feel about that though.

This game man. So fucking good. I think I gimped myself by going with Machinist and Monk before WM and BM first but I'm close to unlocking the second job anyway. Also trial mode makes it so easy to grind for LP. This is my setup:

Vaan - Shikari/Foebreaker
Penelo - Monk/Black Mage
Balthier - Machinist/White Mage
Fran - Red Battlemage/Archer
Basch - Bushi/Knight
Ashe - Time Battlemage/Uhlan

Slaythe

Im really torn, I want to wait for the PC ver and play it im all its glory.... but then again is FFXII, one of my favorites....

=(

I can understand that line of thinking when a game
Is flat out broken on consoles, but when the port is great you have no reason not to get this.

*snip*

Yeah I just keep hearing that the Excalibur combo is I kind of awesome. I suppose yeah Penelo could do that though. I also just like the idea of Ashe as a Knight. Uhlan on Ashe sounds so weird to me, but I suppose it's doable. I'd also heard that Uhlan was basically made for Basch because he has the highest speed with spears?

Agreed, Ashe as a knight is just too cool, plus there is better synergy between Knight/Time Mage IMO (basically I want the healing). And yeah, Basch is the perfect Uhlan, although I'd imagine he would mostly be using katana endgame since he's also the perfect Bushi.

How come the trial mode diamond armlet trick didn't work for me? Opened the chest and found a option. Went to floor 2, died, load save, stuck on floor 2.

Edit: OTHER side.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
These save files are confusing where exactly does the auto-save save the progress?
Seems to be hidden from the save menu unless you're loading a save after you die

Anoxida

Ended up doing:

Vaan - Bushi/Knight
Penelo - Archer/Redmage
Fran - White mage/machinist
Basch - Foebreaker/Shi
Balthier - Uhlan/Time Mage
Ashe - Monk/Black mage

Not perfect min/max using all jobs but almost. Probably wouldve switched vaan and basch if I had to do it again, mainly because vaan looks kinda silly with a katana. Gameplay wise the difference is almost 0. Gg no re though.

Rad-

I almost feel bad for Vaan and Penelo in my team. For fighting I mainly use Balthier, Basch and Ashe with Fran as a backup for when there's a lot of elemental weakness enemies (she's a Black Mage). But Vaan and Penelo? Penelo is just my phoenix down and remedy lore 3 user (she's Archer) and Vaan is the errand boy and the one who I swap in to walk over traps.

In my head canon everytime there's a trap I imagine Balthier just shouting for Vaan and Vaan going "I get to fight finally?!?" and Balthier just points to a trap with a finger and goes "These traps won't trigger themselves".

I'm a simple man with simple pleasures.

So is there a consensus on which Ninja Blade license to skip? I'm thinking the first one since I stole an early Gladius and will probably be set for a while, but otherwise it would have to be the Iga or Koga.

basefree

Is it really that important to plan out your party classes in this game? Like can your choices make or break the game? Or can I just go with whatever and be able to enjoy and complete the game without any real issue?

Is there any reason for me not to unlock Quickenings? Learning the first one makes the game warn be about 3 Quickenings per character per board.

Caim

Is it really that important to plan out your party classes in this game? Like can your choices make or break the game? Or can I just go with whatever and be able to enjoy and complete the game without any real issue?

The latter, you can complete the game with whatever combination of jobs you decide to go with.

Is there any reason for me not to unlock Quickenings? Learning the first one makes the game warn be about 3 Quickenings per character per board.

Shikari is the main ones to worry about because you can get locked out of Yagyu Darkblade.

You can grab them just make sure you get the ones that link to the licenses you want.

WarAdept

There are 4 Quickening panels per job board. Unlocking a Quickening grants access to licences that are otherwise locked off (the little islands of licences that aren't directly connected to the main island).

You need to decide which 3 out of 4 Quickening licences you want to unlock to use the extra license paths they grant.

Top Bottom