• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

BeeDog

Loving this game all over again, and I was surprised to see I've forgotten so much about it other than some bits and pieces. The 2x/4x speed mode is a godsend, especially with grinding and earning money, LOVE IT.

SephiZack

Doing a Random Jobs Run (Choosing with random.org a number between 1-12, pretending job selection screen was a 12-hour clock).

Ended up with:

Vaan: Foebreaker - Archer
Penelo: Uhlan - Shikari
Balthier: Archer - Red Battlemage
Fran: Red Battlemage - Archer
Basch: Red Battlemage - Uhlan
Ashe: Archer - Machinist

All those Archers and Red Battlemages D:;;;;;

Isotropy

The audio quality is so bad in this, not sure if there's something wrong on my end. The FFX remaster sounded 10 times better.

The music, sfx, or voice?

First two should be fine. Voices were badly recorded for some undisclosed reason, they cleaned them up a bit tho.

Reddit has a post about recommended levels throughout the game so here it is since there has been some questions regarding that. Looks about right to me though if you want to tackle the extra areas asap then these are a bit on the lowside.
They're pretty good to try aim for, too. One thing I always tried to balance when going through the story was, 1. how fun it was to do optional hunts and grind, 2. how easy it was make 'dangerous' story enemies feel weak. First time I faced a Judge, I kinda laughed because he was so easy. I try to go into it a little overleveled down and it's actually kinda a fun fight, and he feels a bit bad ass. It's a cool set piece to have a longer fight on, too, when you're not Level 20 and absolutely destroying him with a Gladius and Burning Bow lol.

Prototype

Doing a Random Jobs Run (Choosing with random.org a number between 1-12, pretending job selection screen was a 12-hour clock).

Ended up with:

This is a cool idea.

Nohar

Ended up with:

The Final Fantasy 5 Job Fiesta comity would like a word with you sir.

leng jai

I've noticed there's a crackling when the music goes quiet, not sure if it's just my headphones though

The music, sfx, or voice?

First two should be fine. Voices were badly recorded for some undisclosed reason, they cleaned them up a bit tho.

Voices definitely sound off, but it's mainly the sound effects. They sound super flat and compressed, almost like a 3DS/Vita game. The OST is the only thing that sounds good.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
how far into the game is the sandsea? I think that's as far as I've ever gotten.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Voices definitely sound off, but it's mainly the sound effects. They sound super flat and compressed, almost like a 3DS/Vita game. The OST is the only thing that sounds good.

I mean it's a PS2 game so it's probably well below 3DS/Vita. They sound cleaned up from the original version, but they didn't change the intent of the audio.

I think of the sound effects in this game as being "representational" anyway. The strikes, pick up noises, and death growls don't seem to be aiming for a realistic soundscape so much as being video game "chimes" representing gameplay events.

leng jai

I mean it's a PS2 game so it's probably well below 3DS/Vita. They sound cleaned up from the original version, but they didn't change the intent of the audio.

I think of the sound effects in this game as being "representational" anyway. The strikes, pick up noises, and death growls don't seem to be aiming for a realistic soundscape so much as being video game "chimes" representing gameplay events.

3DS and Vita games usually have poor audio because of space constraints. FFX Remaster sounded miles ahead of this, this is terrible.

Is Revenant Wings for DS worth checking out after I finish 12? I know it takes place after and is more lighthearted, but just wondering if there is anything story or character wise that makes it a worthy addition to the original game.

Nohar

Is Revenant Wings for DS worth checking out after I finish 12? I know it takes place after and is more lighthearted, but just wondering if there is anything story or character wise that makes it a worthy addition to the original game.

No idea, honestly. I was severely soured from my bad experience with Heroes of Mana, which used a similar gameplay (and which was a terrible game, no exaggeration), so I didn't bother to play it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
3DS and Vita games usually have poor audio because of space constraints. FFX Remaster sounded miles ahead of this, this is terrible.

It's not bad sample quality, and in fact the sounds have been enhanced since the PS2.

It's the design direction of the sounds themselves. They're not trying for a movie-like soundscape at all. They're purely video game "event" noises.

I guess there's a reason why they don't make game sounds like this anymore. People expect everything to sound like a real-world soundscape now. The FFX approach won out.

Jolkien

Quick tips for people, not sure if it was stated before, but you guys should do the trial mode asap (first stage you an get a diamond armlet which boost the treasure chest reward, it's upstairs in a chest)

And if you make it to stage 10, steal the boss, you'll get the Sword of Kings it's a 2 handed weapon with 53 attack power and it requires no licence (so anybody of any jobs can use it)

Quick tips for people, not sure if it was stated before, but you guys should do the trial mode asap (first stage you an get a diamond armlet which boost the treasure chest reward, it's upstairs in a chest)

And if you make it to stage 10, steal the boss, you'll get the Sword of Kings it's a 2 handed weapon with 53 attack power and it requires no licence (so anybody of any jobs can use it)

Yeah, between the loot you get in Trial Mode (with the bracelet), the stealing, and the massive LP, it's a great way to get your party in shape.

I've got Ashe wielding that Karkata you can steal in Trial 3, and she's tearing shit up.

Carbonox

Does anyone have good suggestions surrounding optimal Gambit setups on a per-class basis?

I want to tweak my setups to fully take advantage and not waste anything.

Alej

Banned

Ended up with:

Fuck, i need to do that in my next game.

Pantz

Ended up with:

Nice! I did random too but 1 of each class. Ended up with:

Ashe - White Mage/Archer
Balthier - Time Battlemage/Red Battlemage
Basch - Bushi/Monk
Fran - Uhlan/Shikari
Penelo - Black Mage/Knight
Vaan - Foebreaker/Machinist

Also doing random License board spending selections and only 1 of each equipables.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I would like them to further automatic the Gambit System by giving the ability to add another condition to each line. Like Fire-Weak + MP > 50%----> Cast Fire. Gives even more specific commands that way.

Man I had forgotten how bad the lip syncing was in this game, its really distracting during cut scenes and odd since I don't remember it being so bad in FFX or X-2's remaster. I mean there were a few things here and there but nothing this bad.

I would like them to further automatic the Gambit System by giving the ability to add another condition to each line. Like Fire-Weak + MP > 50%----> Cast Fire. Gives even more specific commands that way.

I really wanted this too, but I guess they might not want to make it too complicated. The Gambit system is like a baby version of Scratch already.

scratch046.png

I imagine more detail would have been part of Ito's planned evolution for the system. I guess the "current" Gambit system is easy to understand because you have a Condition and an Action.

Man I had forgotten how bad the lip syncing was in this game, its really distracting during cut scenes and odd since I don't remember it being so bad in FFX or X-2's remaster. I mean there were a few things here and there but nothing this bad.

Yeah it's not great, but FFX was...awful :p Tbf at the time I didn't even know what lip syncing was because it was early days of VA etc but you would occasionally have scenes where Tidus would finish saying a line but the character would be animated for a few seconds more. I think it was FFXIII where SE said they went back to reanimate the lips for every cutscene for the English Dub.

aravuus

So someone remind me just what the hell the Monographs were again. Were they just items that passively boost certain enemy group's rare item drop chances as long as you have them in your inventory? Or did they change the loot tables entirely?

I really wanted this too, but I guess they might not want to make it too complicated. The Gambit system is like a baby version of Scratch already.

scratch046.png

I would fucking kill for a complicated gambit system like this

Also remove the limitations! Infinite gambits. Holy shit, I could plan out the whole fucking game as soon as I unlocked the gambits

I'm making myself sad now

kromeo

So someone remind me just what the hell the Monographs were again. Were they just items that passively boost certain enemy group's rare item drop chances as long as you have them in your inventory? Or did they change the loot tables entirely?

There's some rare loot that won't drop until you have the monograph for that enemy family

aadiboy

I'm playing through FFX HD right now and the lip syncing is pretty bad. If anything, it's worse than the original version because they fucked up the faces and facial movements.

I'm not too far into the game yet, but so far I had assumed that they redid the lip sync for the english dub, because it's much better than X. (Except for CGI cutscenes.)

kromeo

I'm not too far into the game yet, but so far I had assumed that they redid the lip sync for the english dub, because it's much better than X. (Except for CGI cutscenes.)

I noticed one scene early on where Balthier's mouth kept moving for like 3 seconds after he stopped talking but it's certainly improved from X. It doesn't particularly bother me in either game though

Isaccard

We should really make a thread where everyone can post their almost mirrored job choices to be ignored so that we might have a chance to discuss any other aspect of the game in the OT.

I'm playing through FFX HD right now and the lip syncing is pretty bad. If anything, it's worse than the original version because they fucked up the faces and facial movements.

Hmm... I don't remember that maybe its just annoying me more in FFXII because I don't really like this game that much.

FinalAres

Just finished Zelda and started this last night.

I've gone lore appropriate.

Vaan - Shikari / Foebreaker
Penelo - Black Mage / Monk
Fran - Archer / Red Battlemage
Balthier - Machinist / Uhlan
Ashe - White Mage / Time Battlemage
Basch - Knight / Bushi

Just finished Tomb of Raithwall which was a breeze thanks to 2x speed. I don't typically use speed boost unless I'm backtracking or grinding mobs, but I never liked Raithwall much so whatever. 4x I dislike because it's hard to control.

I feel so stupid now I never realised it got ds port!!

umm it is a DS game

maybe you're thinking of the first gba game? :p

Top Bottom