• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

shmoglish

Unlocks right after you
finish Raithwall, along with getting Belias

Yep, my Red mage starts most fights like that, too. Damn useful.
Thank you very much. Should be there soon and in the trials belial was really easy. Dont know if there is any difference between the enemies in the trials and in the main game, but a party full of lvl 18-20 is strong enough, I guess.

Ralemont

not me

This is a very interesting part about Matsuno from Smith:

"He has a very good sense of characters - they have individual personalities and their intent is very clear. This is actually something that's somewhat rare in Japanese writing - it tends to favour the big moment, and the big scene, and they don't really care about how you got there. From a western perspective, lots of times Japanese dramatic writing will seem lacking in areas like motivation and the intent of the characters won't be entirely clear. They're putting the pieces together so they can get to the big scene.

"Matsuno is much more of the classic western style writer in the sense that all of his characters have very clear motives and objectives, so that when they're in a room together instead of everyone just participating in putting together the building blocks to get to the big moment, you have individual characters that want different things butting off each other, there's the back and forth that makes for great dialogue. And that structure is very important, and it really helps the translation. Even if ultimately the things they're saying drifts slightly when you put it into English, having that chemistry there to start with makes a huge difference."

Griss

Wow, this part almost totally explains how I feel about the storytelling in FFXII vs the others, and vs many other Japanese games in general:

Alexander O. Smith said:
"He has a very good sense of characters - they have individual personalities and their intent is very clear. This is actually something that's somewhat rare in Japanese writing - it tends to favour the big moment, and the big scene, and they don't really care about how you got there. From a western perspective, lots of times Japanese dramatic writing will seem lacking in areas like motivation and the intent of the characters won't be entirely clear. They're putting the pieces together so they can get to the big scene.

"Matsuno is much more of the classic western style writer in the sense that all of his characters have very clear motives and objectives, so that when they're in a room together instead of everyone just participating in putting together the building blocks to get to the big moment, you have individual characters that want different things butting off each other, there's the back and forth that makes for great dialogue. And that structure is very important, and it really helps the translation. Even if ultimately the things they're saying drifts slightly when you put it into English, having that chemistry there to start with makes a huge difference."

No wonder I loved the story in the first half of FFXII so much compared to the other games.

And as for this:

"In a lot of anime dubs and straight-up American cartoons - and this was a pet peeve of Joe's - children are often voiced by women. It has a certain sound to it that people accept, but if you actually hear a young boy speak it's a little different. So in the case of Larsa we had a young actor very close in age to the character - I think he was 14 and not 9 - and that brings a whole other level of realism."

Jesus, yes. Whenever I come across the "woman acting as young boy" thing I immediately switch to the sub if it's a main character, if possible. I can't stand it, pulls me right out of the character. I can never just 'ignore' the fact that it's a grown woman speaking. You've gotta use kids for kids, man.

So many things they got right with FFXII...

Playing through the Japanese version, it's amazing how much is lost without the texture of Smith's work, and it's one of the few instances where the dub is the preferable version. That's what happens, I suppose, when you give the translators so much power.

Agreed. One of the only times ever that I prefer the dub. They did an astonishing job, one that was even more impressive back in 2006 when most localisation teams were still in the stone age by comparison.

silva1991

Getting killed by a low level guards....
bad-atmosphere-onion-head-emoticon.gif

Woah Vossler looks damn cool in that armor. Love the look and feel of that sword. I must say that controlling the guest characters has been a welcome addition. Wish I could snag one of my own choosing for endgame though.

brian!

Aight so for ps2 version, mebbe some gung-ho ppl can help me out:

Im seeing this COMRA setup
Monk vaan
Archer basch
Red mage fran
Balth white mage
Pen uhlan
Ashe samurai

Now...if i probably dont plan on completing the game do i really need to care about this shit. I can see myself putting in at least 40-50 hrs. If it's still recommended to go forward with this setup is there some sort of guide for how to play it out (license order, gambits, etc.)?

Basically i see this setup recommended a bunch, but how do i put it into practice/is it fun to do it in the first place?

Few questions

How do you get to the
outside nodes in the License Board
?

Did they remove
the Danjuro
? Or is it renamed?

Also Penolo and Ashe are my Favorite so i'll go with

Penelo Shikari/Knight
Ashe Shikari/Knight

I'll fill out the rest with the rest of the characters

Caim

Few questions

How do you get to the
outside nodes in the License Board
?

Did they remove
the Danjuro
? Or is it renamed?

Also Penolo and Ashe are my Favorite so i'll go with

Penelo Shikari/Knight
Ashe Shikari/Knight

I'll fill out the rest with the rest of the characters

It's been replaced by the Shikari Nagasa and Mina.

AndersK

Shiiiit, I somehow got the two Lhusu Mark's down on my first visit. Only took 72 potions 🙃. Potion lore 1, 2 and 3 are mvps

I'm gonna have fun with no cura until second jobs come.

Esper attribution actually matters ? How do we know what matters ? Who do I link Belial with ?

Why do guns do so little damage compared to other weapons ?

What's Second Board on the board ? The secondary jobs ?

iosefe

distribution would be very welcome.
Or, regardless of aboce post, if someone -could suggest me an optimal build with the following constraints,
it'd be greatly appreciated as well:

*Vaan as Shikari
*Penelo as Monk
*Balthier as Machinist
*Fran as Archer
*Basch as Bushi
*All 12 jobs used
*3x Swiftness for each character
*Somewhat lore-friendly (although I don't really care THAT much about this one)
Sounds like this guide is exactly what you're looking for:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/191202-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age/75403072/881880614

Liamc723

This is my first time playing Final Fantasy XII, and so I'm still wrapping my head around things.

Am I right in thinking that the license board only gives you the ability to access/equip the things you select, rather than actually giving them to you?

I've made Vaan a knight, and in his license board there's an option for heavy armour and I selected it but nothing was given to me. Do I now need to find that armour at a shop to use it?

This is my first time playing Final Fantasy XII, and so I'm still wrapping my head around things.

Am I right in thinking that the license board only gives you the ability to access/equip the things you select, rather than actually giving them to you?

I've made Vaan a knight, and in his license board there's an option for heavy armour and I selected it but nothing was given to me. Do I now need to find that armour at a shop to use it?

Correct.

Nohar

"Proud warrior" village reached. Welcome aboard the Hunting train Larsa!

Larsa's voice actor did such an amazing work. Actually casting someone of the character's age and sex was definitely the best way to do this. If FFXII ever gets a sequel, I would love to see him return for the role (well, assuming FFXII-2 taking place some years later, it would be interesting to hear the voice's evolution).

Heh, an adult Larsa would look like a very fine man, I assume.

Repost because I didn't see anyone answered the questions

I hated this game on its original release but so far it's been a much better experience. Not sure if it's just that I'm older or what but I've just got the full set of 6 members and that's further than I ever got before

I don't get the love for Balthier though. I think he sucks. Is way too smarmy and I think he looks dumb. And his leading man shit just reminds me of snows hero shit.

Couple questions:
1. Is there a way to reorganize the party? I'd like to put my top 3 first, even though I'm switching around some

2. What's the actual way to assign a new party leader? I just drop everyone until the one I want has the flag.

3. Does shikari start at shields 2? Couldn't find shields 1 to save my life

4. I should get the quickening that's in front on ninja sword 1, right? Read some that it's worth it, kind of no matter what

kromeo

Repost because I didn't see anyone answered the questions

Couple questions:
1. Is there a way to reorganize the party? I'd like to put my top 3 first, even though I'm switching around some

2. What's the actual way to assign a new party leader? I just drop everyone until the one I want has the flag.

3. Does shikari start at shields 2? Couldn't find shields 1 to save my life

4. I should get the quickening that's in front on ninja sword 1, right? Read some that it's worth it, kind of no matter what

1. No

2. You have to do it from the combat menu, press up and down on the d pad I think

3. Yes, I think Bhujerba is when you'll first get a shield for Shikari

Audioboxer

Excited to play this but too skint right now. Only plus is in a month it should be cheaper!

I've quickly checked a few reviews and it appears the remaster was done really well.

My memories of FF12 are very distant for some reason, although I do remember following a guide for the Zodiac spear (which I know has changed now). There was some other dagger (I think it was a dagger) I remember stealing really early that was good! I enjoyed the FF12 change up to things like loot and the battle system. Always reminded me of MMO-lite.

brian!

should i go with the english dub or original japanese voices?

Was watching a friend play and the japanese voices seem pretty standard, i think they did a pretty good job with the dub but there are some real stinkers in there too. Personally feel like i connect w/ the english better, esp. in cutscenes

Do you miss out on anything important if you don't fight the Bangaa guys in Luso Mines? I just followed the kid and ran away and didn't realize I could have probably just beat them...

I'm really loving the game, but having to buy licenses for equipment that I don't even know where to get is becoming too annoying. It's always a problem of either getting to a shop and not having the license for their stuff, or getting license for equipment that the shop doesn't have!
There doesn't seem to be a way of acquiring equipment outside of shops, because loot doesn't really have anything useful outside of potions and gil.

On a more positive note, I'm beginning to get the hang of Gambits, and it feels fantastic!
Having never played the PS2 version, the reorchestrated music also sounds tremendous.

kromeo

Do you miss out on anything important if you don't fight the Bangaa guys in Luso Mines? I just followed the kid and ran away and didn't realize I could have probably just beat them...

I think he runs away anyway if you attack him enough. You get to fight him again later anyway so just run away for now

jimmypython

I'm really loving the game, but having to buy licenses for equipment that I don't even know where to get is becoming too annoying. It's always a problem of either getting to a shop and not having the license for their stuff, or getting license for equipment that the shop doesn't have!
There doesn't seem to be a way of acquiring equipment outside of shops, because loot doesn't really have anything useful outside of potions and gil.

On a more positive note, I'm beginning to get the hang of Gambits, and it feels fantastic!
Having never played the PS2 version, the reorchestrated music also sounds tremendous.

I think some powerful endgame spells/accessories/weapons are only obtained in chests? well, if they haven't changed from the international version

"Proud warrior" village reached. Welcome aboard the Hunting train Larsa!

Larsa's voice actor did such an amazing work. Actually casting someone of the character's age and sex was definitely the best way to do this. If FFXII ever gets a sequel, I would love to see him return for the role (well, assuming FFXII-2 taking place some years later, it would be interesting to hear the voice's evolution).

Heh, an adult Larsa would look like a very fine man, I assume.

They definitely did a really good job casting him, that character really relied a lot on the performance and he sounds so regal and proper. Did a great job. I'd love to see a follow up with all of the characters older like
Vaan and Larsa

Esper attribution actually matters ? How do we know what matters ? Who do I link Belial with ?

Why do guns do so little damage compared to other weapons ?

What's Second Board on the board ? The secondary jobs ?

Esper choice matters because (depending on the jobs you choose) they can make a bridge to licenses outside the main board. Luckily, you get your first Esper and secondary jobs unlock at the same time.

So pick everyone's second jobs, and then look at each character to figure out who benefits most from a given esper choice.

IIRC, guns aren't keyed to any character stat, and as such are good for say, a white mage/machinist who wouldn't have the stats for doing much damage otherwise. Also, of course, guns are good for flying enemies.

Esper choice matters because (depending on the jobs you choose) they can make a bridge to licenses outside the main board. Luckily, you get your first Esper and secondary jobs unlock at the same time.

So pick everyone's second jobs, and then look at each character to figure out who benefits most from a given esper choice.

IIRC, guns aren't keyed to any character stat, and as such are good for say, a white mage/machinist who wouldn't have the stats for doing much damage otherwise. Also, of course, guns are good for flying enemies.

thanks.

I just think that all my character have weapon 40+ and the vendor sells the gun at 17 dmg at the same level...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just realized, with todays sesion (31h), I am averaging 19,4h per day. Had the game for three days and current playtime @59h...

Just reached
Arcadia
with everything done so far up to this point. Lvl 75 with my three mains, soon to have their ultimate weapons, all license unlocked with 5k LP to spare, etc.

Jesus

King_Moc

Banned
I just realized, with todays sesion (31h), I am averaging 19,4h per day. Had the game for three days and current playtime @59h...

Just reached
Arcadia
with everything done so far up to this point. Lvl 75 with my three mains, soon to have their ultimate weapons, all license unlocked with 5k LP to spare, etc.

Jesus

There aren't 31 hours in a day! You've gone too far this time, sleep!

Kain

Just reached
Arcadia

Jesus

Dude

aravuus

Goddamn, the Cat Ear Hood is legit. It converts LP to gil in TZA.

I can make over 100k gil in less than 5 minutes in the Trials.

e: 240k in 10 minutes

kromeo

Just reached
Arcadia

Jesus

Lv 75 in Arcades is obscene, you gone ruined the rest of the game

Isaccard

Just reached
Arcadia

Jesus

Feelstagupdatefishingman

Iwannaseethereceipts.gif

Goddamn, the Cat Ear Hood is legit. It converts LP to gil in TZA.

I can make over 100k gil in less than 5 minutes in the Trials.
I've been trying not to abuse Trial Mode LP but I just unlocked 2nd jobs and couldn't help myself. I did about 3 runs and got my peoples 2nd jobs about halfway up to speed.

Phatcorns

Does anyone know why the voices are so badly recorded or why the file compression makes them sound so terrible? It's almost like they didn't even use a real recording studio to record the voices. Does sound a bit better than the original release at least. (Also I'm only talking about the English voices, still haven't tried the Japanese)

Korezo

I already fucked up making Bach a Ulan, instead of Shikari/foebreaker style I had on ps2.. Anyway is unlocking quickenings bad in this game or something? I read people saying they get locked out of stuff for unlocking them.

Top Bottom