• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I forgot how shoved in and how annoying is Vaan in this game.

*Serious moment with the group*
Vaan: Let's go guys, we need to get a move on!!!

*About to find out the secret identity of someone*

Fuck off Vaan, seriously.

Syntsui

I forgot how shoved in and how annoying is Vaan in this game.

*Serious moment with the group*

*About to find out the secret identity of someone*

Fuck off Vaan, seriously.
At least he finds a reason to stay with them halfway through the story. Penelo though has no reason to even exist, she is straight up useless and is only with them because she likes Vaan.

Audette

So after a few hours of playing I'm having a great time, I'm apparently experiencing some sort of Stockholm syndrome as I originally hated this game. Maybe it's because XV was so.... small in scope? This game just comes off more polished and genuine. My biggest complaint though, I wish you could turn off the auto turn the camera does when your moving. It would really make the fast forward a lot more usable.

AndersK

OK, I've been digging this game so-far, but I think I may have encountered a bug or issue that has basically killed my save file.

I just got to the Phon Coast when, for some reason, Balthier suddenly can't hit accurately, like, at all. Turns out Fran can't either, since on a hunch I decided to try her too. I went from both (utilizing a crossbow and a bow, for reference) having normal accuracy to suddenly both being essentially useless.

Here's the thing though - When I'm in an indoor or cave environment, they both go straight back to normal, as though nothing is wrong.

In any case, it has definitely left me very sour, but I figured I'd just throw this out there, as it seems fairly game breaking, depending on who you tend to utilize in your party. No idea what caused it, but it certainly can't be normal.

At least, I've never heard of it being a problem until literally an hour ago when it happened to me.

EDIT: OK, I may have fixed the issue. I went back to an earlier save file that was exhibiting the issue I was having, ran to the nearest teleport crystal while holding the flee button, went back to Ozmone Plain, and I'm assuming the problem just fixed itself? Something went wacky, but I guess it's ok now.

Still, if anyone else comes across this issue, by all means quote this for reference.

Weather has a huge inpact on ranged weaponry - did it rain or was there a storm?

Meowster

I'm so stupid. I just realized you can go back to your old license board after I just invested hundreds of points into the new ones. Missed the little icon somehow.

Weather has a huge inpact on ranged weaponry - did it rain or was there a storm?

No. Where I was in-game was sunny and bright. No rain or anything. And incidentally, I just had it start again. Entered Giza Plains from the Estersand, killed a couple of enemies, went back into Estersand and it started up again.

It's like the game is properly configuring the right accuracy value for harsh weather, but then decides that it doesn't want to shift back in normal environments.

Fisty

Ok I'm going for the ultimate 3 man team, balance be damned...

Basch- Shikari/Bushi
Ashe- Black Mage/Red Mage
Balthier- White Mage/Machinist

Hopefully that will shut down Yiazmat etc pretty easy

jiggle

Are ALL the item locations the same as international zodiac job system?

Any consensus on the strongest god ode game breaking job setups yet?
I started monk vaan
But upon hearing about redmage goodness
I restarted with that
But now I'm thinking I should restart with knight

I started monk vaan
I restarted with that

you know you get 5 other characters right.

EDIT: also, sorry don't know the answer to your q. Just wanted to drop in a snarky comment.

I started monk vaan
I restarted with that
check out the OP! I've updated it with some good gambit guides.

I'm going with a

Vaan - Shikari/Foebreaker
Penelo - BlackMage/RedMage
Balthier - Bushi/Knight
Fran - WhiteMage-Machinist
Basche - Uhlan/Monk
Ashe - Knight/TimeMage

jiggle

check out the OP! I've updated it with some good gambit guides.

I'm going with a

Vaan - Shikari/Foebreaker
Penelo - BlackMage/RedMage
Balthier - Bushi/Knight
Fran - WhiteMage-Machinist
Basche - Uhlan/Monk
Ashe - Knight/TimeMage

Thanks!
Didn't see that before
I'll have a look

you know you get 5 other characters right.

EDIT: also, sorry don't know the answer to your q. Just wanted to drop in a snarky comment.
But then the whole team wouldn't be over powered

6:10:50

Neo Member
Just made it to the Lhusu Mines and the return of the glorious skeleton bridge, made even better with turbo mode. I remember the first time I played back in 2006 I was happy to exploit whatever OP equipment advantages I could (the early Gladius steal, the Deathbringer in Raithwall, Fomalhauts for days in that one antlion cave), but this time I decided to pretty much swear that off. Instead, I'm deeply enjoying getting excited to see new items show up in the stores and in dungeons. The class system has a lot to do with that; I tended to spec based around that OP equipment, so getting a wider sense of what works and what doesn't based on what each job can equip and when it becomes available is so much more fulfilling. How did I never really use katanas or poles before? And being able to truly plot out your progression with a fully visible board without resorting to a guide means each license purchase feels like a significant step towards your goals. For seven hours in, I feel like I've had an enormous amount of say in what my characters will become.

I also love how guest characters so far offer the player a small but valuable supplement before you obtain your second job. Right now "Lamont" gives me a whole set of white magic options I don't have yet, which is deeply appreciated. It's not a gimmick or joke option as with so many other titles, but a remarkably organic way to flesh out your arsenal while ensuring players that didn't grind have a little extra survivability.

Zodiac Age now feels like the modern inheritor of V's legacy: an endlessly replayable, choice-driven experience that invites the player to truly inhabit its systems. I have so many titles from 2017 still needing to be played, but right now this is exactly the game I want to be wrapped up in. And I'll have to restrain myself from not doing another run after this one.

It's so nice not having to worry about losing progress with the constant autosaving in this version. That plus fast forwarding makes the game much less of an exhausting slog.

I'm at Phon Coast now. Furthest I've ever been. It's all new to me from here on.

so I realize I have NO idea what to do in this game.

I'm at demon wall OF COURSE haha and I'm getting wreck. Weird because Garuda didn't even scratched me.

I have no idea how to spec the licence : All I see is more gambit, more HP, more accesories, armor and weapons but I have level 2 to 3 weapons yet I unlocked level 5 or 6 nodes... I feel I using my licence wrong or I don't feel they are really usefull for real progression ? I don't unlock more magics and skills...

I have NO IDEA how to use Mists. You can chain them ? How does it work ? I just spam at random.

I barely have any black magic, white magic, heal, status remover...

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I forgot, how do you kill a storm elemental? It leaves me alone if I don't do anything but I tried everything and I can't do any damage to it.

Isotropy

I'm desperately trying to pick my setup for a completionist run - I'm trying to go for a lore-friendly build that is still okay efficiency-wise:

Vaan: Foebreaker/Shikari
Balthier: Machinist/
Fran: Archer/Red Battlemage
Basch: Knight/Bushi
Ashe: White Mage/
Penelo: Black Mage/Monk

How should I divide Time Battlemage and Uhlan between Ashe and Balthier?

And what the hecky should I do with the Espers not to screw everything up too much? Would giving Belias to Ashe for Dynast-King reasons be a bad idea?

SkylineRKR

I'm at demon wall OF COURSE haha and I'm getting wreck. Weird because Garuda didn't even scratched me.

I have no idea how to spec the licence : All I see is more gambit, more HP, more accesories, armor and weapons but I have level 2 to 3 weapons yet I unlocked level 5 or 6 nodes... I feel I using my licence wrong or I don't feel they are really usefull for real progression ? I don't unlock more magics and skills...

I have NO IDEA how to use Mists. You can chain them ? How does it work ? I just spam at random.

First DW run away. Second one use the braziers to halt his progress. Hes annoying with statuses so set gambits to cure them and wear some immunity items, but he doesn't do much else.

Did you make a white mage at the beginning? It should have the basic cure spells at low LP. You have to buy Magick from a Magick shop, and the same goes for black magic, lots of gear and technicks too.

Though you do have heals, some characters start out with them and you have all 6. Also, steal everything and sell your loot. That way your gear can always be up to snuff and you can open bazaar items. And stock up on items, you'll want gold needles, chronos tear etc.

Rad-

You don't have to beat the first demon wall. Just run away.

License board: It's generally best to spec in this order: Swiftness -> HP -> Battle lores or Magic lores. And then armors/weapons/accessories/magic depending what you have. Most techniques are pretty meh but if you have a job with for example Shades of Black it's very good for a while. And of course Breaks are amazing but they are mostly end game stuff.

You are at a fairly early point in game still so hence not much magic. Use items for now if you need status removal etc. Though you should have at least some of the spells: Cura, Aero, Immobilize, Disable, Slow, Blind by now and all these are useful. Debuffs generally are really strong in this game (unlike most FFs) so if you see a debuff being sold in a store and you have a job for it, buy it.

kromeo

I'm desperately trying to pick my setup for a completionist run - I'm trying to go for a lore-friendly build that is still okay efficiency-wise:

Neither are particularly great combos tbh but if you really want to keep Balthier with gun then I'd give him uhlan to go with it, he's good with spears. If you don't mind breaking the lore choice slightly then machinist/white mage and Uhlan/time mage go really well together

Rad-

And what the hecky should I do with the Espers not to screw everything up too much? Would giving Belias to Ashe for Dynast-King reasons be a bad idea?

Machinist/Uhlan and White Mage/Time Mage. Uhlan gives Machinist Focus which is pretty much a must if you want to use guns. It's weird how Machinist doesn't get it naturally as it's the job that benefits from it the most.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So... when does the second job becomes available?

I am in the
Ogir Yensa
, great place to lvl up/starting a chain.

Game is as good as I remember. Not the best when it comes to chars/story, but the world is great and same goes for the battle system. I am still in love with Fran(s voice).

Unlocks right after you
finish Raithwall, along with getting Belias

Yeah I mostly start with my time mage casting Slow etc, it works on lots of bosses as well.

Yep, my Red mage starts most fights like that, too. Damn useful.

kromeo

When Vaan says "I don't know what's in those mines Lamont" when you first get to Bhujerba, I could never make out what he was saying on the PS2

Lightning

Banned
This game keeps catching me off guard. I'm so used to playing the original FFXII that I plan as though I'm playing that game and it just doesn't work.

The attack of some of the weapons has changed by a lot in some cases and it keeps catching me.

I feel like the soundtrack settings aren't changing. I have the original soundtrack DLC unlocked and picked that to start off with. None of this stuff sounds different if I change it.

Got instantly wiped out by
Penelo's kidnappers
in the mines.

Might need to do some grinding or something, or just watch what's going on more carefully - I don't remember it being all that taxing before, maybe I'm just getting old! :|

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Got instantly wiped out by
Penelo's kidnappers
in the mines.

Might need to do some grinding or something, or just watch what's going on more carefully - I don't remember it being all that taxing before, maybe I'm just getting old! :|

Aren't you supposed to
run from them? That's what I did.

So, it looks like Shikari has Remedy Lore 1, 2 and 3. Given the amount of times I've been slapped with Doom, I really need to get Remedy Lore 3 on a character asap. Might put that on my WHM as their second job.

Advice time for my set up

Got van as a red mage and Penelo as a white mage, just done the sun stones but unsure what Jobs go well with the above or whether to restart. I originally meant for ashe to be a white mage but chose it for Penelo bybmistake lol

Should I restart and choose something different or carry on. I thought red mage would be able to cast cure but couldn't except cura and higher

I feel like Penelo or ash would have been better as a red and black mage or something

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Eurogamer has an interview with Alexander O Smith on FF12's translation

A translator's tale: Inside the building of Final Fantasy 12's Ivalice
I greatly respect Smith and his attitude towards his work, but I can't help but strongly disagree with his choice of direction.

"I think people who played the game in Japanese and then in English were a little shocked by Fran and all the Viera. There's a huge spread of voices in the game, and obviously in Japanese that's not really there. Everyone's speaking standard Japanese. There wasn't a whole lot to go on, but again - with it being another Matsuno-related product - the background was so rich that when you take a game like that it would start to get comical if everyone had regional Japanese accents.

"We decided you've got the Empire, you've got the Resistance and you have a few other dialect groups. We made the Empire British, of course. The Resistance wasn't American - but it wasn't modern west coast, it was roughly 1930s American. We had touchstones for each of the dialect groups. The touchstone for the Resistance was Leonardo DiCaprio in Titanic. We had similar touchtones for other characters in the Empire. For the Viera, we knew we wanted them to be out of the regular system - it's a different race, they have their own mystical environment, so we wanted something while being intelligible was really unusual and exotic. Joe being a big Bjork fan, an obvious go-to was Icelandic English."

It's a striking choice, brought to life by Nicole Fantl, and the results are beyond impressive. It's also an important distinction point to be made between the original and the localised version - playing through the Japanese version, it's amazing how much is lost without the texture of Smith's work, and it's one of the few instances where the dub is the preferable version. That's what happens, I suppose, when you give the translators so much power.
I prefer the game in Japanese for the reasons this article says it finds the original dialogue lacking. Adding in accents, different manners of speaking, a flair that wasn't there in the original - it's superfluous, changes the feel of the game. Something straightforward would be much nicer. This entire excerpt praises everything I find wrong about the localization.

I'm a broken record and very clearly the minority (I like boring things apparently according to the internet), but I really don't appreciate the liberties Smith takes, even if his work is well crafted and his motivations are understandable.

That said, I'd rather have a strong work with misguided direction than a weak and sometimes incomprehensible translation, so we've come a long way, that we can even have disagreements like this.

traveler

Not Wario
Stuck on Vaan's license decision still lol.

These 3 are set in stone either way:

RBM/ARC, Penelo
SHI/BRK, Balthier
WHM/MCH, Fran

These are the two party setups I'm considering beyond that:

BLM/MNK, Vaan
KNI/TBM, Ashe
UHL/BUS, Basch

or

BLM/MNK, Ashe
BUS/KNI, Basch
UHL/TBM, Vaan

Anyone have any thoughts/strong preference for one over the other?

Rad-

Reddit has a post about recommended levels throughout the game so here it is since there has been some questions regarding that. Looks about right to me though if you want to tackle the extra areas asap then these are a bit on the lowside.
Estersand (South) - 1
Giza (Dry) - 3
Garamsythe Waterway Part 1 - 4
Garamsythe Part 2 and Nalbina - 5
Barheim Passage - 8
Lhusu Mines - 9
Leviathan - 11
Westersand and Ogir-Yensa - 13
Nam-Yensa - 15
Tomb of Raithwall - 17
Giza (Rain) - 18
Ozmone and Golmore part 1 - 19
Henne Mines - 22
Golmore Part 2 and Paramina Rift - 25
Stilshrine - 30
Mosphoran Highwaste - 33
Salikawood and Phon Coast - 34
Tchita - 35
Sochen - 36
Draklor - 38
Golmore part 3 and Feywood - 39
Giruvegan and Great Crystal - 43
Ridorana - 44
Pharos - 45
Cerobi, Necrohol, Deadlands and Zertinan - 46
Bahamut - 47
Pharos Subterra - 55

thetrin

I greatly respect Smith and his attitude towards his work, but I can't help but strongly disagree with his choice of direction.

I prefer the game in Japanese for the reasons this article says it finds the original dialogue lacking. Adding in accents, different manners of speaking, a flair that wasn't there in the original - it's superfluous, changes the feel of the game. Something straightforward would be much nicer. This entire excerpt praises everything I find wrong about the localization.

I'm a broken record and very clearly the minority (I like boring things apparently according to the internet), but I really don't appreciate the liberties Smith takes, even if his work is well crafted and his motivations are understandable.

That said, I'd rather have a strong work with misguided direction than a weak and sometimes incomprehensible translation, so we've come a long way, that we can even have disagreements like this.

Most people who work in localization would agree with what Alex did here. I think it was a smart choice. Also, very cool to hear both British Indian English (Ondore). If everyone had the same accent across an entire continent, the localization wouldn't stand out as brilliant as it is.

FFXII and XIV stand out as incredible localization jobs, and it's really hard to put this much thought into it.

"Everyone's speaking standard Japanese. There wasn't a whole lot to go on, but again - with it being another Matsuno-related product - the background was so rich that when you take a game like that it would start to get comical if everyone had regional Japanese accents."

This is the only line I don't agree with. I don't think it would come off as comical. There's really not much else you can do with Japanese to show regional differences in speech.

Slaythe

Advice time for my set up

Got van as a red mage and Penelo as a white mage, just done the sun stones but unsure what Jobs go well with the above or whether to restart. I originally meant for ashe to be a white mage but chose it for Penelo bybmistake lol

Should I restart and choose something different or carry on. I thought red mage would be able to cast cure but couldn't except cura and higher

I feel like Penelo or ash would have been better as a red and black mage or something

Penelo as red mage black mage is amazing.

But she is good as white mage too. Ideally you would have went monk and black mage for her tho or rdm blkm.

Vaan can be salavaged if you pick shikari with red mage.

You're very early tho so I'd start over with x4 speed.

Vaan works great either as shikari + foebreaker ( you miss out on his magic but he s the guy you want around at all times ) , or shikari and white mage ( invincible tank ).

I haven't tried shikari rdm but heard it's good.

Returning to this world makes me want another FFXII game. Maybe a spinoff? I don't think it would be too farfetched if this remaster does really well. At the very least, let's see this combat system again.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Most people who work in localization would agree with what Alex did here. I think it was a smart choice. Also, very cool to hear both British Indian English (Ondore). If everyone had the same accent across an entire continent, the localization wouldn't stand out as brilliant as it is.

FFXII and XIV stand out as incredible localization jobs, and it's really hard to put this much thought into it.
I hear them praised all the time, and these two games are some of my least favorite localizations (especially XIV) for all the reasons people praise them. Ah, well.

thetrin

Returning to this world makes me want another FFXII game. Maybe a spinoff? I don't think it would be too farfetched if this remaster does really well. At the very least, let's see this combat system again.

I would love to see gambits return in a future FF.

Slaythe

I'd like a sequel to XII. Or another Ivalice game, so that they don't have to use the XII brand and can sell it as whole new thing, but relying on the same world and systems , only expanded.

Anyway bought the zodiac age so did my part :p .

Nohar

I'm a little conflicted on that front. On one hand, it allows the player to set actions in advance to adapt to different situations. On the other hand, it can make the game feels "automated", requiring no input from the player whatsoever in most cases (ie. for most random encounters, and even some bosses). When the game plays itself, you have to wonder if you actually are playing (in the sense that I feel my involvement and skills aren't needed). I'm beginning to feel that way for FFXII. One could said the player doesn't have to play with gambits, or at least not on their leader character, but when all is said and done one just reactivate the gambits, for random encounters don't really require much input beyond "Attack" (that being said, the game does have a noticeable difficulty spike towards the end-game).

I wouldn't mind the return of gambits that much, but I would appreciate that gambits can't be set on the leader character, and that fights would require the player's involvement a little more.

... Which begs the question of how party members will be managed by the AI in the FFVII remake, but I digress (Gambit Materias?... Naaaaaaaaaah... Yes?).

In any case, an Ivalice sequel is long overdue, and I really would love a new Tactics game (Final Fantasy Tactics is a little dated to be honest, with very slow battles in which the difficulty comes from being severely outnumbered, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance wasn't that bad but the law system was infuriating at times, and Final Fantasy Tactics A2 has the best gameplay but the least interesting story).

How come I couldn't get either Ancient Sword or Assassin's Dagger in
Dreadnaught Leviathan
? I went to the place but I don't think I got anything worthwhile from the chest.

Given that FFXII's gambits were the first ever iteration of them, and given how fully featured they already are, I think Itou would easily be able to polish them to perfection in a second iteration, and put in incentives to not have everything completely automated.

Side note - is there a good Esper license guide anywhere? I've looked at the spreadsheet job planner but I'm too stupid to know what I'm doing.

I wonder if XIII's system can work in XII's seamless combat/exploration. It's kind of like Gambits in a sense that you pick setups for everyone, without making it 100% automated.

Isotropy

I'm a little conflicted on that front. On one hand, it allows the player to set actions in advance to adapt to different situations. On the other hand, it can make the game feels "automated", requiring no input from the player whatsoever in most cases (ie. for most random encounters, and even some bosses). When the game plays itself, you have to wonder if you actually are playing (in the sense that I feel my involvement and skills aren't needed). I'm beginning to feel that way for FFXII. One could said the player doesn't have to play with gambits, or at least not on their leader character, but when all is said and done one just reactivate the gambits, for random encounters don't really require much input beyond "Attack" (that being said, the game does have a noticeable difficulty spike towards the end-game).

I wouldn't mind the return of gambits that much, but I would appreciate that gambits can't be set on the leader character, and that fights would require the player's involvement a little more.

... Which begs the question of how party members will be managed by the AI in the FFVII remake, but I digress (Gambit Materias?... Naaaaaaaaaah... Yes?).

Given that FFXII's gambits were the first ever iteration of them, and given how fully featured they already are, I think Itou would easily be able to polish them to perfection in a second iteration, and put in incentives to not have everything completely automated.

Side note - is there a good Esper license guide anywhere? I've looked at the spreadsheet job planner but I'm too stupid to know what I'm doing.

thetrin

In any case, an Ivalice sequel is long overdue, and I really would love a new Tactics game (Final Fantasy Tactics is a little dated to be honest, with very slow battles in which the difficulty comes from being severely outnumbered, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance wasn't that bad but the law system was infuriating at times, and Final Fantasy Tactics A2 has the best gameplay but the least interesting story).

I'd have bigger issues with gambits if putting them together wasn't so granular. Sure, you can automate it, but it takes time and thought to make your characters do exactly what you want them to do at the right times without 1) ignoring dangerous situations and 2) wasting time or MP.

It's not HARD to do, per se, but it does take work, and that preparation is very rewarding to me. It's no different from playing a management game where setting up intricate plans play out perfectly in front of you. I find that hugely rewarding.

Really? That explains a lot actually! I don't think I was paying attention to the cutscene before.

Yeah,
Balthier says "We can't take them all on. Engage who you can and run from the rest", or something to that effect.

GlamFM

Banned
Played it for a bit last night.

Remember hating it when it came out and actually never finishing it.

First think that struck me is that this game was ahead of it´s time.
At least in the console space.

have a good feeling about this.

Top Bottom