• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

kromeo

Does anyone know why the voices are so badly recorded or why the file compression makes them sound so terrible? It's almost like they didn't even use a real recording studio to record the voices. Does sound a bit better than the original release at least. (Also I'm only talking about the English voices, still haven't tried the Japanese)

For whatever reason they obviously didn't keep the original uncompressed recordings and had to work with the low quality PS2 files

[TW]Stone

Tripwire Producer
Very early on in the game but basically I click attack and run to an enemy and stand there until my guy keeps swinging. Doesn't seem very engaging but I'm loving everything else so far!

aravuus

Oh my god, I have fucking 500k gil already, this is just absurd

... When this Trial run ends I'm gonna try if the gains stack if I equip everyone with the hood

e: THEY FUCKING DO

Dude I get almost 1000gil per 1 LP

aravuus

Something along the lines of this keeps popping up in the Trials hahaha

y4v8yCi.png

I mean it's not like I've had any money problems anyway so far, but 30 minutes in the Trials and I'm literally set for the rest of the game

I love whoever it was that decided you could carry shit over from the Trials. This is almost FF8 levels of breakability.

kromeo

Something along the lines of this keeps popping up in the Trials hahaha

y4v8yCi.png

I mean it's not like I've had any money problems anyway so far, but 30 minutes in the Trials and I'm literally set for the rest of the game

I love whoever it was that decided you could carry shit over from the Trials. This is almost FF8 levels of breakability.

You've successfully put me off ever going near these trials lol

So I've got Balthier as a archer and have his license for a bows 2 but I can't equip on of the bows from there. What gives?

Make sure you have arrows in your inventory

Meowster

I am bound and determined at beating Adrammelech by the time I'm level 30. I almost beat him at level 25 with just a few health remaining but he did a clean wipe.

aravuus

You've successfully put me off ever going near these trials lol

Hahah can't blame you. Item-wise the Trials aren't bad since pretty much everything that could be considered a gamebreaker you have to steal, and they're all rare-ish steals.

But the amount of LP this mode gives you is just fucking ridiculous.

Jornax

Haha that's the thread I linked to in my first post in here, not really 100% happy with what they gave Ashe (Knight/Foebreaker). I'm playing around with the idea of going with these loadouts:

Vaan: Shikari/White Mage
Balthier: Machinist/Uhlan
Bash: Bushi/Foebreaker
Ashe: Knight/Time Mage
Penelo: Monk/Black Mage
Fran: Archer/Red Mage

My only requirements are that Vaan's a Shikari, Balthier's a Machinist, Bash is a Bushi, Penelo's a Monk, and Fran's an Archer, every job gets used, and I'd like to give everyone 3x Swiftness (so that means I should for sure give Penelo the esper Ultima I think). If anyone sees any problem with this build or wants to give me some esper recommendations, feel free to do just that.

Rad-

I am bound and determined at beating Adrammelech by the time I'm level 30. I almost beat him at level 25 with just a few health remaining but he did a clean wipe.

Before beating him I suggest stealing High Arcanas from him.

Does Magick Lore increase damage with weapons that use MAG in damage calc? IE Katanas

One Magick Lore is 1 MAG point so yes. Battle Lore is 1 STR.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Wow. I'm doing trials. Hahaha. I've beaten FFXII enough to not care about cheating a bit. :p

ObsidianG

Haha that's the thread I linked to in my first post in here, not really 100% happy with what they gave Ashe (Knight/Foebreaker). I'm playing around with the idea of going with these loadouts:

Vaan: Shikari/White Mage
Balthier: Machinist/Uhlan
Bash: Bushi/Foebreaker
Ashe: Knight/Time Mage
Penelo: Monk/Black Mage
Fran: Archer/Red Mage

My only requirements are that Vaan's a Shikari, Balthier's a Machinist, Bash is a Bushi, Penelo's a Monk, and Fran's an Archer, every job gets used, and I'd like to give everyone 3x Swiftness (so that means I should for sure give Penelo the esper Ultima I think). If anyone sees any problem with this build or wants to give me some esper recommendations, feel free to do just that.

You could consider

Vaan: Shikari / Foebreaker
Balthier: Machinist / White Mage
Basch: Bushi / Ulhan

my reasoning is that shikari, machinist and bushi all get 3x swiftness innately (iirc), but shikari/foebreaker 1) doesn't split Vaan's duties between healing and DPS 2) gives him access to genji gloves. Bushi / ulhan on Basch gives him a similar amount of battle lores as foebreaker, and bushi innately gets genji gear. Balthier should perform well as a machinist / white mage to buff the party. This way you should be in good shape for some end game content as well.

Anoxida

The part about the story is so damn true. The writing in this game is really, really good for video game standards in general. FFXII is some pacing issues away from being one of the best written games ever. I just came out of lhusu mines for the first time and the dialouge in that scene, while simple, is just on another level compared to the usual shounen shit we get in jrpgs. The pacing issues are real though so it is ufortunate how close they came to something amazing.

Quickening that fucker up

If you've been doing some chest looting with the Diamond Armlet equipped, you might have gotten some Meteorites. There are 2 consumables named Meteorite, but each have different descriptions and uses. Meteorite (B) can inflict Disease, which prevents healing. The optional King Bomb fight is one of the few fights where Meteorite (B) is helpful.

There is a chest at the orange save crystal zone right before that fight that has Meteorite (B). It's the chest at the northeastern intersection. The chest doesn't spawn all the time so you might have to do a few zones to get it to pop.

As an aside, I wouldn't recommend looting the majority of the game's chests with the Diamond Armlet equipped. There are a few exceptions to this including an entire zone, Cerobi Steppe, where you NEED to have the Diamond Armlet equipped for a chance of not getting literal trash. The Diamond Armlet needs to be equipped on the character that's doing the looting.
Wow thanks for the help! I'm gonna beat King Bomb and keep the Diamond Armlet close by.

Then I'm gonna take a break from playing the game.

JJShadow

What's the best way to go about selling loot? Are there items required for specific subquests or can I safely sell all my loot?

Thanks for showing me that trials are broken as fuck, and to avoid them until endgame. What a complete oversight lol.

I doubt it was an oversight. They even warn you that you lose your trials progress before you reload a normal save. So it was definitely intentional for you to be able to break the game.

Probably partially because it's such an old game, they figured most fans of the original would go to the trials for fun, but most noobs wouldn't bother with the trials for a while. So why not let the fans of the original have some game breaking stuff to play with?

Rookhelm

[TW]Stone;243442482 said:
Very early on in the game but basically I click attack and run to an enemy and stand there until my guy keeps swinging. Doesn't seem very engaging but I'm loving everything else so far!

The Gambits are really where the strategy lies, imo. Early on, it's like you describe, but once you start "programming" your team for specific battles, it's really engaging. Almost like solving a puzzle.

Rookhelm

They even warn you that you lose your trials progress before you reload a normal save.

Can you clarify?

Does this mean that, say I start a new game...play a couple hours. Then, I want to give trials a try. Say I make it to stage 5. If I jump back into my main game save, I reset the trials to 1?

Edit: whoops, double post

aravuus

Wow thanks for the help! I'm gonna beat King Bomb and keep the Diamond Armlet close by.

Then I'm gonna take a break from playing the game.

Better have it unequipped 99% the time, btw. Unique chests still have the unique loot, but practically every single respawning chest has either a Knot of Rust or a Meteorite in it if you have the Armlet equipped. They have their uses, as you can see, but you'll want the regular loot most of the time.

Tiefooz

The Gambits are really where the strategy lies, imo. Early on, it's like you describe, but once you start "programming" your team for specific battles, it's really engaging. Almost like solving a puzzle.

I was thinking last night about how the 2x/4x speed options really highlighted for me what I've always loved about the game: it's like building a machine that you can test and revise. The part of me that loves SpaceChem is the part of me that loves FFXII best (and that's a real big part of me).

Better have it unequipped 99% the time, btw. Unique chests still have the unique loot, but practically every single respawning chest has either a Knot of Rust or a Meteorite in it if you have the Armlet equipped. They have their uses, as you can see, but you'll want the regular loot most of the time.
Oh okay. I need to keep this in mind. I'll write it down in my notebook. When I get back to the game I'll make sure to follow it.

Thanks for the help!

TheCed

I want to create the worst Party I can.

So far I know that Balthier is the worst Machinist and Fran the worst Archer.
I guess that Basch would be the worst Black mage, can anyone confirm.

You could consider

Vaan: Shikari / Foebreaker
Balthier: Machinist / White Mage
Basch: Bushi / Ulhan

my reasoning is that shikari, machinist and bushi all get 3x swiftness innately (iirc), but shikari/foebreaker 1) doesn't split Vaan's duties between healing and DPS 2) gives him access to genji gloves. Bushi / ulhan on Basch gives him a similar amount of battle lores as foebreaker, and bushi innately gets genji gear. Balthier should perform well as a machinist / white mage to buff the party. This way you should be in good shape for some end game content as well.

would the esper recommendations from the lore friendly guide still work for these?

Can you clarify?

Does this mean that, say I start a new game...play a couple hours. Then, I want to give trials a try. Say I make it to stage 5. If I jump back into my main game save, I reset the trials to 1?

If you load your main game save from your trials progress, it resets your trials progress, yes. The benefit is you carry over all the things you got in the trials. And it warns you first, so don't worry about accidentally losing your progress.

Ourobolus

Banned
It's a good thing that the Cerobi Steppe music is sublime, because sadly the Cure/RNG manipulation doesn't work (and I wasn't expecting it to, lol).

Top Bottom