• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Perineum

I've basically never sold past of anything, or well I mean I always keep at least 5 of the items.

Is there some sort of crafting I am not aware of? You guys are saying you need to hold onto some items for others items?

I just got farther than I ever did on PS2 version which must not be that far. After you visit the village in the jungle, Eryut? I assume there is at least another 30-40 hours if I stick with campaign right?

I may ignore a lot of side content to make sure I complete the game this time as monster hunting can get kind of old and fast, so will that hinder me? I am about level 30 with everyone right now and the monsters on the story parts I am on are level 24ish so I feel good and buff.

OH and also, I found the level 1 bomb weapon you can equip, and it won't let me equip it even though I have the license unlocked? wtf?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'm feeling dumb but I don't understand Fran's Feral Strike. Sometimes she hits for 500 HP, sometimes 6000 on the same enemy, There's a timer and I don't see any prompts or nothing. Quickenings FAQs just describe how she punches and nothing else.

What am I missing?

I'm the kind of guy who typically prefers listening to the original soundtrack for older FFs rather than their orchestrated versions. But I heard something about the music for this game originally being weak?

What sound option did yall choose?

Ourobolus

Banned
I'm the kind of guy who typically prefers listening to the original soundtrack for older FFs rather than their orchestrated versions. But I heard something about the music for this game originally being weak?

Orchestrated is much, much better.

Meowster

A couple of songs are better originally but for the most part, the orchestrated version is far better.

Cess007

Man, the farming spot at
the Leviathan
still works. You can get those chains easily and whole lot of items, and License Points. I think I will use 1 day to farm as much a possible.

aeiron

Neo Member
I've basically never sold past of anything, or well I mean I always keep at least 5 of the items.

Is there some sort of crafting I am not aware of? You guys are saying you need to hold onto some items for others items?

As far as I can remember, you sell everything, selling certain rare items (sometimes of specific quantities) unlocks new and rare items you can buy in shops under the "bazaar" entry.

Reorchestrated has been great so far.

A little confused on what Quickenings even are.

For example, let's take the Machinist board. I've reached a slot called "Fires of War" that I can open for 50LP -- then the game tells me I can only use three of those.

Fair enough, so I look around the board, and there's four "Fires of War" total, all with different costs.

...what? What is this, exactly? Are they spells? Skills? Why are they all called the same thing?

Dope ass super moves.

Alucrid

Banned
I'm feeling dumb but I don't understand Fran's Feral Strike. Sometimes she hits for 500 HP, sometimes 6000 on the same enemy, There's a timer and I don't see any prompts or nothing. Quickenings FAQs just describe how she punches and nothing else.

What am I missing?

pretty sure there's some random element in how much damage it does

Mothman91

Anyone have a good database for like:

List of items you can steal,
Looking up items, where to get them etc.

I have like 10 tabs open for all different stuff but haven't found a solid one.

Meowster

Ha got it, thanks everyone.

Would love to hear an example.
For example, I think the original Lowtown music is better because the flutes seem to be missing a lot of oomph in the reorchestrated version. But that's just one example of only a few. So much of the music is brought to life by the new instrumentation.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I wouldn't call the original version weak. It just translates very well to live orchestra.

hey gaf these job are combo's I did not come up with on my own and probably looks similar to every other poster on the last 23 pages.

Vaan - knife fighter/rival smasher
penelo - body builder/spell slinger
ashe - healbot/dr who #(your favorite numbered doctor here, 10 and 11 are my faves)
balthier - sky pirate with a gun duh/loldrg
fraan - robin hood/why do they call it red magick when white+black = grey
bash von ronsenburg of dalmasaca - muh sword arm/muh other sword arm but sharper

wut do you think guise

also is anyone else getting dejavu

When attempting comedy always ask this question. Am I funny?

DeathPeak

I'm enjoying this game a hell of a lot more now than I did 11 years ago. It probably helps that I have more patience now. Plus the speed-up option helps. I've only just met up with Fran and Balthier.

Don't see the point of snark.

People want to discuss their team build. Some are similar but it's fine, it's an OT anyway.

Also don't see the point of someone making a separate thread for builds since it's not like this thread and game is massively popular. I think it's ok if a lot about FFXII centers in this OT at the moment so everyone playing this game has a chance to partake.

I'd like to bring something up in relation to your post but not wholly encompassed by it: why are FF fans so defensive? The dude was just posting a funny piss take and all responses so far have just been incredibly butt hurt about it.

Caim

What am I missing?

Quickenings are all based on the strength stat (unless that has changed since IZJS) also each level of Quickening has its own power level on top of that.

There are some other factors as well that you can see here:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Quickening_(ability)

I forgot how many small touches this game has.
Slight midgame hunt spoilers ahead

During/After the Gil Snapper hunt there's a rare chest/urn looking things in the area you fight him that gives you a key item called "Feather of the Flock". After obtaining it if you go back to the Giza Plains village during the dry you can talk to the tamed Cockatrices for some pretty funny dialogue.

Slaythe

Guys. Dilemma.

Vaan shikari foebreaker

Balthier machinist white mage

Or

Vaan shikari white mage

balthier machinist foebreaker

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Guys. Dilemma.

Vaan shikari foebreaker

Or

Vaan shikari white mage

Vaan shikari foebreaker

It's my set-up and I can confirm it works incredibly well.

Guys. Dilemma.

Vaan shikari foebreaker

Or

Vaan shikari white mage

Machinist and Foebreaker don't have much synergy. Foebreaker does tons of physical damage, while Machinist doesn't need to rely on STR at all. Foebreaker already gets ranged weapons too so you're needlessly doubling up.

I'd like to bring something up in relation to your post but not wholly encompassed by it: why are FF fans so defensive? The dude was just posting a funny piss take and all responses so far have just been incredibly butt hurt about it.
Because the game makes every job selection, esper choices permanent, with very little explanation on the matter. It can get very vexxing for some to pick the jobs they want.

I'd rather be on their side than rediculing them. Anyone here can understand how frustrating the job system is in FFXII after all.

Also it was a piss take that wasn't at all funny.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
A couple of songs are better originally but for the most part, the orchestrated version is far better.

Lowtown is just off, I don't know what they did to it. But everything else ranges from good to considerably better.

Oh, and the first new composition I encountered was great.

Japanese VA is...comically underwhelming. xD I totally forgot about the whole "Oiyoiyoiyo" thing til now.

I never played the original so the story and gameplay is gripping me quite a bit.

Japanese VA is...comically underwhelming. xD I totally forgot about the whole "Oiyoiyoiyo" thing til now.

I never played the original so the story and gameplay is gripping me quite a bit.

Yeah, especially when it comes to Fran. When I first played the game I was a bit taken aback because I've only watched the Japanese trailers before playing the English version.

Now though, couldnt imagine it any other way.

Brakke

Banned
Anyone have a good Gambit plan for Steal? No idea how to set it up so I just always use a San myself and Steal manually.

Caim

Anyone have a good Gambit plan for Steal? No idea how to set it up so I just always use a San myself and Steal manually.

Could set it something Foe: Nearest Visible -> Steal and then set another to either Foe: 90% or 80% HP to start attacking.

Foe HP = 100%

Then have someone else Target Foe: Highest HP or Party Leader's target if you're controlling the dude. You can also set up to target a specific members Target. So if Vaan is your thief, you can have one person to always target vaans target.

It's not perfect but it works. During large fights you may find you'll need to manually control your thief for a bit so he'll stop stealing from the same guy over and over.

Welp, just farmed my xp buff accessories and did some 4X speed grinding at what was probably not even an optimal spot.

Balthier went from level 14 to 40 in under an hour lol. Also ended up with 300k gil worth of loot. I absolutely love this version. Same gratification for only a fraction of the time investment.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Not sure if people are aware but I found this handy feature.

if you hold L1 and use left/right on the dpad you can toggle between 2x/4x/off without going into the menu.

Lightning

Banned
This is downright annoying that all the ninja swords are behind quickenings. There's 4 quickening spots but you can only select 3 so either a Koga Blade or Iga Blade can never be used. That's just bullshit that they do that.

FinalAres

Is it just me, or is the quality of the voices much better in some scenes? Sometimes I can't tell if it's improved compared to the old tin can voices, and sometimes the voices seem clear as a bell, like FFX voice acting. Am I nuts?

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Another tip, when you are selling goods you can hold triangle and press up on the dpad to sell the maximum amount.

Top Bottom