• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Not sure if people are aware but I found this handy feature.

if you hold L1 and use left/right on the dpad you can toggle between 2x/4x/off without going into the menu.
Fuck me

Naar

I got to the part where i choose a 2nd job. My 6th character cannot unlock the 2nd job, why? I was going through all the characters and giving them a 2nd job then all of a sudden cannot choose the last job on the license board. Cannot even choose to unlock belias for my 6th character.

BTW if i unlock an esper, is it locked to that character only?

Edit: figured why its locked

Welp, just farmed my xp buff accessories and did some 4X speed grinding at what was probably not even an optimal spot.

Balthier went from level 14 to 40 in under an hour lol. Also ended up with 300k gil worth of loot. I absolutely love this version. Same gratification for only a fraction of the time investment.
Where did you farm xp buff accessories?

Oh shit, I might have cracked it

l5pp2Rd.jpg

Any impressions on how this game holds up using Remote Play? I could see playing it on the Vita (or PC) being handy for when the girlfriend wants to watch TV!

I'm playing on pc, and does it really well (I use a dual shock 4) didn't try on the vita, because my fat vita disconnects from the ps4 wifi all the time so I didn't bother.

Slaythe

I've never played XII before. Should I spend my summer holiday time on this or persona 5? Decisions...decisions..

Heh, both are great but Persona 5 is extremely slow and has limited options to what you can do.
It's more of a enjoy the ride kinda game.

FFXII offers you a ton of content to explore and beat. The first half of the story is very compelling, then loses steam but the gameplay always keeps you entertained. ( second half isn't bad, just has pacing issues )

FFXii might be a bit overwhelming though at first, but totally worth it.

I know this is strange question. Where do I set up my gambits? I can not find it anywhere.

You can only do so after getting Balthier and Fran in your party.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I know this is strange question. Where do I set up my gambits? I can not find it anywhere.

You haven't unlocked it yet, because it's an obvious main menu option. It unlocks when you add Balthier and Fran to your party.

Awesome thanks it's been a long time I've opened up gambits. Thought I could begin setting up

It's weird because the game tells you about gambits when Penelo joins (and adds them to the battle menu), but you are unable to actually check what her gambits are because the gambits feature doesn't get added to the main menu until a bit later. Threw me off a bit in the beginning.

Aalvi

So I'm going based off a GFAQs sticky for a team setup that is apparently optimized and doesn't care for using every job or trying to be lore-friendly. A user suggested characters for the respective roles:

Vaan: Samurai-Bushi/Knight
Balthier: Hunter-Shikai/Foe-Breaker (or Samurai-Bushi/Hunter-Shikai if you want a Yiazmat killer)
Fran: White Mage/Machinist
Penelo: Black Mage/Monk
Ashe: Black Mage/Red Mage
Basch: Uhlan/Time Mage

What do you guys think? I don't know much about the game to figure if there's more to be done or some flaw.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's weird because the game tells you about gambits when Penelo joins (and adds them to the battle menu), but you are unable to actually check what her gambits are because the gambits feature doesn't get added to the main menu until a bit later. Threw me off a bit in the beginning.

Same here.

What she was saying was that you can turn gambits on/off on the regular battle menu, but you couldn't customize the gambits yet.

So I'm going based off a GFAQs sticky for a team setup that is apparently optimized and doesn't care for using every job or trying to be lore-friendly. A user suggested characters for the respective roles:

Vaan: Samurai-Bushi/Knight
Balthier: Hunter-Shikai/Foe-Breaker (or Samurai-Bushi/Hunter-Shikai if you want a Yiazmat killer)
Fran: White Mage/Machinist
Penelo: Black Mage/Monk
Ashe: Black Mage/Red Mage
Basch: Uhlan/Time Mage

What do you guys think? I don't know much about the game to figure if there's more to be done or some flaw.

That looks fine.

I decided against a Black Mage/Monk though because you might as well go glass cannon all the way.

I love playing this game using the self-imposed ruleset that you're not allowed to buy equipment (other than Bazaar goods). Makes treasure and enemy drops so much more valuable.

Final boss fight is about to begin.

Larsa,
sword in hand, as his brother asks him to stand by and witness the fall of Princess Ash: "No."

God, I love this kid. How old is he supposed to be anyway?

Gambit question: what the hell is the difference between Foe: element-vulnerable and Foe: element-weak?

I think vulnerable just means that element will hurt the target. So like you may use Foe: Dark Vulnerable so your Red Battlemage won't cast Dark on skeletons or whatever. Meanwhile weakness targets specific elemental weakness, so you could do Foe: Wind weak to have your black mage one shot all the sandsea raider things with Aero.

I love playing this game using the self-imposed ruleset that you're not allowed to buy equipment (other than Bazaar goods). Makes treasure and enemy drops so much more valuable.

I think I've found better treasure in a third of the way into this version than I did in either of my precious plays of the vanilla version.

Why are hammers so inconsistent in FF games. I hate hitting for 187 points one swing and then doing 3 the next. I got surrounded by monsters and had each character attack a different target. Everyone else killed their monster in like 3 hits while I'm sitting there watching my hammer user swing for 20, 16, 37, 160, 5, etc..... come on hammers why....

NeoBob688

At what time do Basch and Ash join the party permanently? I am wanting a party mainly of Vaan/Basch/Ash. I just finished Barheim passage. I am wondering whether to explore more now or wait until I get the two other party members.

Red mage is real strong early. Escaping from prison and Fran's slow, fire, dark are cleaning up, not to mention healing. MP limit is of course an issue....

Ending spoilers
As much as I dislike Vayne turning into the Hulk, I really like his exchange with Venat at the end.
"Well, we're fucked but at least we freed the world from the Occurias. Now let's just die together in glorious battle!"

At what time do Basch and Ash join the party permanently? I am wanting a party mainly of Vaan/Basch/Ash. I just finished Barheim passage. I am wondering whether to explore more now or wait until I get the two other party members.

You're not too far away from a full party.

BibiMaghoo

Started playing this last night and am enjoying it more than I did the first time round, which is a bit strange to be honest. I'm glad they did a good job with this.

Also, is there much reason not to sell all my loot?

Beaten!
The soundtrack during the final boss fight was epic as hell.

All right. Now the real game begins. Yiazmat, you little bitch, I'm coming for you.

Eleven years later, I'm enjoying it far more than I did in 2006. My top five may shift to VI>XV>VII>IV>XII

I still think XV has superior combat and characters, though.

So with these liscense boards....is there a direction I should follow or just start opening stuff up?? It's sort of intimidating at first

TheFatMan

Man the accessories in this game are somewhat confusing me.

So I've seen items that have the phrase "Half Damage: (Weird Crystal Icon)" at the top.

I believe the weird icon is a Protect icon? Maybe?

What the hell does this mean? Do I do half damage to things with protect or do I take half damage?

Also when I googled these items online the listings seem different from what I'm seeing in the game? Very confusing.

Tiamant

So I've seen items that have the phrase "Half Damage: (Weird Crystal Icon)" at the top.

What the hell does this mean? Do I do half damage to things with protect or do I take half damage?

Also when I googled these items online the listings seem different from what I'm seeing in the game? Very confusing.

I believe that's one of the early game accesories. If it has the blue hexagon that means it grants auto-protect status. The green circle means auto-shell, etc. You'll learn to identify those icons when you start having access to buffs/debuffs.

Malrend

if you hold L1 and use left/right on the dpad you can toggle between 2x/4x/off without going into the menu.

Never saw anyone mention this, so I figured it was common knowledge/nothing anyone didn't know.

I have been proven wrong.

Finished Tomb of Raithwall a few days ago and unlocked the Barheim passage today. Loving all the amazing weapons and loot I'm getting. I'm prolly gonna stick with optional content for now.

My question is, is it worth unlocking Ninja Swords 1 for Vaan? He's Shikari/Foebreaker and I just got Kagenui (HUGE upgrade) but I don't want to get screwed over in the future by using a quickening slot.

Yep, this is amazingly handy. You can use up/down too.

Finished Tomb of Raithwall a few days ago and unlocked the Barheim passage today. Loving all the amazing weapons and loot I'm getting. I'm prolly gonna stick with optional content for now.

My question is, is it worth unlocking Ninja Swords 1 for Vaan? He's Shikari/Foebreaker and I just got Kagenui (HUGE upgrade) but I don't want to get screwed over in the future by using a quickening slot.

Yep, this is amazingly handy. You can use up/down too.

Yes , unlock it. just skip koga or iga , save yagyu.combine it with genji gear and tear yiazmat a new one

Halves Ice damage sounds like.

Top Bottom