• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

You can reload the auto-save for each floor to try to get something different, though obviously you won't keep what you've gotten until you go on to the next floor. So then to return to that floor you'd have to start over.

Awesome, thanks! Sitting at stage 49 so figured I'd grab a Ribbon then a Wyrmhero Blade. These rates must be super low.

Edit: Woohoo got both!

mstevens

OKAY

After way too much research in between play sessions, I think I've finally nailed down my final team. Can someone look this over to make sure I'm not missing an important skill?

For quickenings:
Vaan (Bushi/Shikari) Quickening 1, 3, 4
Basch (Bushi/Knight) Quickening 2, 3, 4
Ashe (White Mage/Machinist) Quickening 2, 3, 4
Penlo (Monk/Black Mage) Quickening 1, 2, 4
Fran (Archer/Red Battlemage) Quickening 1, 2, 4
Balthier (Time Battlemage/Foebreaker) Quickening 2, 3, 4

Anything glaring?

An esper expert chiming in would be great as well.

So far I've thought of:

Vaan - Exodus
Basch - Belias, Mateus, Hashmal, Ultima
Ashe - Famfrit
Penlo - Chaos
Fran - Shemhazai, Cuchulainn, Zeromus
Balthier - ???

But I don't know where to put the rest (Zalera and Adrammelech) or if I should move any around.

ANY advice would be much appreciated :)

So how exactly does the clan rank go up?
I've been grinding and running back and forth on hunts for the last 2.5 hours, and I don't really know if I'm doing anything to it. I'm not even sure what clan ranks are about, or how I can reap the benefits of a higher rank.

Also, what's with the spike in difficulty going from rank I to rank II hunts? They go from like level 15-ish to the mid 30's

Diablos54

Not sure what the second line here does. The hero will always attempt to run the steal command if there's an enemy at full health in combat with you, the second line doesn't matter at all with that. It could be any attack command at all.

It helps to make the thief the party-leader. They're all but guaranteed to get the first move in when you run into a monster.
Yup, plus it also means any other characters with steal with steal straight after. Unless it's a boss or mark, after the first steal with the party leader I just select attack and that's usually enough to take 10% HP off so then the other thief starts attacking as well.

I've only used it in the sandsea so far but it's worked pretty well, gonna have to turn it off bosses though.

mindsale

How about

Bushi/Foebreaker
Knight/Time mage
Black Mage/Monk

Knight/Time Mage can handle most of the support, including healing. On emergencies the Monk can help with healing. The Bushi can apply breaks and concentrate on DPS. With Zeromus Time Mage and Monk could also handle all the breaks, giving you more options.

This is a great train of thought but I am right at my second job choice and I can't do a Bushi / Breaker.

My primary jobs are
Vaan - Red Battlemage
Penelo - Monk
Balthier - Shikari
Fran - Machinist
Basch - Knight
Ashe - White Mage

So they have to exist within that framework.
I want to restrict myself to a three-person team that utilizes every Esper between them, with none allocated to other party members. Ideally I would not overlap jobs.

Aesthetically my favorite characters are Ashe and Basch so those are minor limitations. The remaining characters are all equal to my tastes.

Considering
Ashe as a WM/TM - dedicated healer, buffer.
Basch as a KN/BU - situational DPS, Genji prospect, off-healer.

Which leaves...

Shikari / Breaker - debuff enemies and perma-DPS with second Genji set?

Black Mage / Monk - yet another off-healer, yet another source of Holy damage, elemental damage, decent physical attack?

Red Mage / Archer - Elemental damage, really poor offf-healing, Ardor / oil synergy with WM?

The self-imposed restriction is to distribute all Espers between three characters, not overlapping jobs.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Well, here is the team I came up with after looking looking at the spreadsheet for hours. It covers most bases and both teams are as balanced as possible. Having two good teams was one of my main criteria. If you want it a bit more optimal you should switch the roles of Vaan and Penelo, possibly also Balthier and Ashe.

Nope. That looks lovely. I wanted to have Vaan, Ashe, and Basch be my mains, and the way I had built my team didn't really allow that. Not while remaining optimal. Was a big source of annoyance for me.

Thank you. I like this one way better than the canon-appropriate builds I had settled on.

DR2K

Banned
Game really starts to fall apart during the second half.

The gameplay isn't fun, in fact as I level up and power up it's becomes non existent with gambits and a chore without them.

Dungeons are small and boring, can't imagine playing this without the 2x option. (I did when it released) Probably going to go 4x as I finish the last part of the game.

Now it's just an open world long walk simulator to the next place. Then the next place. Then the next place. Then a small town. Then maybe a cut scene with some character exposition for 2 minutes. Then a few hours of the same thing till the end.

Starts out as something special and ends up a terrible slog of a game.

Perineum

I haven't touched trial mode at all. I just reached the Phon Coast area. Should I do trial mode and it will benefit me somehow in my regular playthrough, or is this a challenge mode for someone after they beat the game?

I haven't touched trial mode at all. I just reached the Phon Coast area. Should I do trial mode and it will benefit me somehow in my regular playthrough, or is this a challenge mode for someone after they beat the game?
Trial mode is game breaking. Makes you too powerful in the main game. Earlier you cpuldnt import your trial mode files tp the main game but now you can so you get end game loot within the first 3 rounds of trial mode

mindsale

Could a Monk / Time Battlemage be a dedicated healer or should I double down on White Mage / Time Battlemage?

I'd lose Black Mage / Monk but I could pair Black Mage with Red Battlemage.

thedan001

Could a Monk / Time Battlemage be a dedicated healer or should I double down on White Mage / Time Battlemage?

I'd lose Black Mage / Monk but I could pair Black Mage with Red Battlemage.

Pro/Con for White Mage/Time Mage

Pro's: best healer/support in game bar none

Con's: that character will have to dedicate whole fight healing/buffing and is not sustainable for long drawn out fights unless you burn ethers, this is why some avoid this job combo and leave Time Mage to a support character and let the White Mage focus on healing only.

Black Mage/Red Battlemage is a great dps job combination although

mindsale

Pro/Con for White Mage/Time Mage

Pro's: best healer/support in game bar none

Con's: that character will have to dedicate whole fight healing/buffing and is not sustainable for long drawn out fights unless you burn ethers, this is why some avoid this job combo and leave Time Mage to a support character and let the White Mage focus on healing only.

Black Mage/Red Battlemage is a great dps job combination although

How different is a Monk / TBM different from a white Mage when properly espered?

Has three swiftnesses, Esunaga, Curaja, buffs, WAY more HP, decent physical damage, amazing Esper overlap... I can find virtually no information on this pairing online.

Edit: My self-imposed goal is to make a party of 3 that do not overlap jobs and who use all Espers between them.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
You talk about Twelves scions of Light and Dark.

Isn't Zodiark a Scion of dark too ?
Yeah, but AFAIK he was never a part of the rebellion against the Occuria. He was just so strong that the Occuria became afraid of his strength and sealed him away.

I mean, he has reason to be mad about it. But he doesn't play an active role in the plot of Tactics, either, despite being there unlike half the other scions. He's still a summon spell at that point. Maybe he's just a really chill guy.

thedan001

I just wanted to mention how great it is to see this finally getting some of the recognition it deserves.

Sure, the game has flaws (especially the latter part of the story when Matsuno was released as director) alas this FF is one of the better ones in the series and is one of my top 3 FF's.

I love the battle system and gambits so much, especially with 2x/4x speed, and it's Ivalice lore based!

Atlantis

How different is a Monk / TBM different from a white Mage when properly espered?

Has three swiftnesses, Esunaga, Curaja, buffs, WAY more HP, decent physical damage, amazing Esper overlap... I can find virtually no information on this pairing online.

Edit: My self-imposed goal is to make a party of 3 that do not overlap jobs and who use all Espers between them.

I don't think there is a lot of info on this pair since it seems playing with all 12 classes is pretty popular and there are much better pairs for Monk in that scenario. (Since this combo lacks Genji Gloves)

However, I'd planned on using that combo myself and it seems fantastic. A STR based ranged weapon (with fast attack speed) with every Battle Lore unlocked, every HP augment and Heavy Armor, pretty much every White Magick you'd want. It even has a ranged Expose.

Probably best on either Ashe or Vaan to make up for a lack of Magick Power.

Rpgmonkey

Coming up to the last 5-10 hours of the game and I forgot that this was pre-"HD Towns" and you actually visit quite a variety of cities/villages/outposts over the course of the game. Good ol' days.

This game has some incredible songs. Eruyt village? Sooo good.gif

The remastered version gave me chills. I loved the original already but whew.

And I agree about trial mode, there is tons of rare and good loot to be found so if you don't want to steamroll through it then ignore it until you do a new game.

Perineum

How far into the game am I story wise if I am at the Phon coast? 40%? 60%?

Edit: Also, when I complete this I am eyeing potentially playing Vagrant Story. How well does that hold up? Same creator, correct?

Edit: Also, when I complete this I am eyeing potentially playing Vagrant Story. How well does that hold up? Same creator, correct?

It's amazing, but you'll need to read up a bit on the weapon affinity system or you'll have a bad time.

Finally got around to playing this for a few hours - the game is as great as I remember it. Love the new job system which is making licensing a lot more fun.

I've planned out the jobs and I think I settled on:

Vaan: Uhlan/Time Mage
Balthier: Shikari/Breaker
Basch: Knight/Bushi
Ashe: Black Mage/Monk
Fran: White Mage/Machinist
Penelo: Archer/Red Mage

Think that'll work out well enough.

Think I'll give trial mode a shot for the first time tomorrow. You gain XP and LP on that, right? I actually don't know anything about it. Gonna just go in cold and see what happens lol

Saven

Banned
Up to
Eruyt Village and about to leave for the Mines
and I gotta say, this is the first Square Enix remastered OST that I've enjoyed. Funny how this is the first game that gives us the option to play the original OST, and I don't care about changing it at all like I did with FFX or KH1 or 2. Well, except for Giza Plains, that was the only fuck up in this remaster so far unfortunately.

About 66%

Naar

Can someone explain how to chain quickings? The most I got was 13 hit, but it seems so random as if i can get 7 or 13 hits. Is it supposed to be random?

For example the whole party has 3 mist but once my 2nd character uses a quicking to chain it might be only 1 bar instead of 3

?

Brakke

Banned
Yo damn Foebreaker is a dumb license board. Using Vossler, I thought the Whole Thing was to have Wither and Expose but then I subclassed someone to Foebreaker and then discovered you gotta get through like Weapon Level 8 on the way to Expose. 😰

I think I can come at it sidewise by unlocking something on my other board. Wish I had planned ahead a bit better on this one.

Ourobolus

Banned
Yo damn Foebreaker is a dumb license board. Using Vossler, I thought the Whole Thing was to have Wither and Expose but then I subclassed someone to Foebreaker and then discovered you gotta get through like Weapon Level 8 on the way to Expose. 😰

I think I can come at it sidewise by unlocking something on my other board. Wish I had planned ahead a bit better on this one.
The worst part is none of the break technicks are available until like the last 20% of the game

But technically that works in your favor cause you have plenty of time to get to the license :p

Alright, let's assume you've unlocked all of them for everyone.

You initially pick your first quickening from one of the three levels. While that's going on, the game brings up a random quickening from each of your three party members. If they have the mist charges to do it, it'll be white and you can activate it for a combo. If they don't, it'll be grey. If they're all grey, you can reroll with R2. Sometimes instead of a quickening you'll get the Mist Charge option, which gives that character their charges back so you can keep the combo going. At the end, depending on how many/what level quickenings you used, you'll get a Concurrence, which is basically a finishing move.

Brakke

Banned
The worst part is none of the break technicks are available until like the last 20% of the game

But technically that works in your favor cause you have plenty of time to get to the license :p

Oh Christ duh I didn't even think about that. Lol thanks guess I won't sweat it for now then.

Isotropy

I wonder if this rerelease will sell enough for us to at least get a new mid-tier Ivalice game.

Matsuno is once more happy to work with Square (Tactics Ogre remaster). I think he could be convinced, especially if it's something smaller-scale like a tactics game where he doesn't have to lose his mind at the scale as with XII.

What I'd really love is a Balthier/Fran treasure hunting buddy pic of a game. That's the sort of thing that could be a high-production PS4 game, but wouldn't need the insane scale and budget of a main Final Fantasy. I don't even think you'd really need Matsuno for that sort of game.

Isotropy

i'd say we need a game about the cataclysm now

It just better confirm my headcanon that the moogles went into hiding, or still exist elsewhere on the planet beyond Ivalice by the tactics era. I will not accept that the Ivalice planet doesn't have moogles/other races anymore.

For every single time I've played FFXII, my steal gambits have been awful, and I've ended up switching them off. Thank you, random person on Gamefaqs, for this rec:

FOE=HP<90% - ATTACK
FOE=HP=100% - STEAL
FOE=LOWEST HP - ATTACK

No longer is Vaan randomly off in the corner stealing from an HP=100% enemy, while the rest of the team are a man down! Sharing just in case no one else has mentioned this set-up previously.

Setting up Gambits separates the strong from the weak.

...I am the weak.

Isotropy

For every single time I've played FFXII, my steal gambits have been awful, and I've ended up switching them off. Thank you, random person on Gamefaqs, for this rec:

FOE=HP<90% - ATTACK
FOE=HP=100% - STEAL
FOE=LOWEST HP - ATTACK

No longer is Vaan randomly off in the corner stealing from an HP=100% enemy, while the rest of the team are a man down! Sharing just in case no one else has mentioned this set-up previously.

...I am the weak.

I too shall steal this Steal gambit.

FOE=HP<90% - ATTACK
FOE=HP=100% - STEAL
FOE=LOWEST HP - ATTACK

...I am the weak.
Another thing you can do is give everyone a Foe = 100% HP -> Attack Gambit. I usually have my party controlled character attack but the second character sometimes will open with Shades of Black or maybe Dark early on as it's a good way to do initial burst AOE damage but maintain your MP. It usually ends up with Vaan only trying to steal once, maybe twice. Plus it's a good Gambit even on its own: my mages almost always have one spell they just use once.

That said, that one you posted sounds pretty great. I'll have to try it. I been using the above one since the OG. But I like this one you posted. Better, even, or at least more efficient for Gambit slots, especially if all 3 characters are melee (so the other 2 Gambits would just be wasted on more 'Attacks' then it's more efficient, too, and even let's him return to try steal from other mobs after the first mob goes down.

The first thing is a lack of cure spells. You wouldn't be much of a healer until maybe halfway through.... And, even then basically no AOE cure for most of the story: basically Cure until Mt. Bur-Omisace once you can get Curaga and use it via Quickening 3, and then no Cura or Curaja until a late game esper.

Whether this is OK or not really depends on your character levels and weapons. If you're about the same level or slightly higher than monsters/bosses, and you're maybe stealing or looting a few good weapons early, it'll heal fine enough. You'll burn through encounters faster and Cure -> Hi Potions -> Curaga on a Decoy Tank (TBM does help with reducing your need for AOE cures) then you'll be OK.

But if you're a bit underleveled or 'normally' equipped, you could definitely feel the big lack of AOE Cura and also a much smaller MP pool without Mystic Armor.

Endgame though it's mostly stats, either Augments or especially Items. You're going to have access to much less MAG and MP without Mystic Armor.

You character matters a lot here. Ashe has 78 MAG at Lv99 and it decreases to the lowest two Balthier and Basch who have 63. Only 10 Magic Lore so either 88 to 73 MAG.

You'd definitely give the Magepower Shishak to this character so +5 there. You'd probably go with the Genji Armor too since your melee weapon could use the STR too and if even your healer is purely a Heavy Armor class, your other two characters may also be using the Grand Armor and Maximillion anyhow.

No staff or rod is OK because Holy doesn't effect cures. Your Whale Whisker would hit pretty hard, even sans Genji Glove you'd easily hit 99 STR. But your MAG would likely only reach 96 to 81. So on Ashe or Penelo, you'd basically heal the same as a WHM with worse MP. But you'd have difficulty making a MNK/TBM Basch heal as well as a pure WHM Basch.

You may have MP problems yet even endgame but when even your healer is smashing stuff with a Whale Whisker you're probably burning through fights pretty fast, so you can probably just cure/ether up between most encounters. Some of the biggest Hunts though you could run into MP/MAG problems if this character is Basch or Balthier I guess. Sort of depends how many elixirs you wanna burn haha. And on the flip side, it is you're likely to be doing/receiving a lot more damage than a traditional MP so MP-combat augments will help a lot. You may also get some synergy from Hashmal (assuming maybe for some reason you never really used a KNI and wanted to use Adramalech elsewhere), though I think it's a waste to use Hashmal to give a MNK Cura (who's already getting Curaja and Curaga) when it can give a KNI Curaja, Bravery, and Faith, and a MNK/TBM can just get Cura from Adramelech instead (but now you're missing Channelling 3). All of which, it's worth noting again, are mostly endgame,

FinalAres

XII is the only FF game I've not played more than once, and I'm really feeling second playthrough syndrome where everything just makes more sense.

Really liking it so far. Just done the Leviathan and got some heavy KOTOR vibes.

Naar

Alright, let's assume you've unlocked all of them for everyone.

You initially pick your first quickening from one of the three levels. While that's going on, the game brings up a random quickening from each of your three party members. If they have the mist charges to do it, it'll be white and you can activate it for a combo. If they don't, it'll be grey. If they're all grey, you can reroll with R2. Sometimes instead of a quickening you'll get the Mist Charge option, which gives that character their charges back so you can keep the combo going. At the end, depending on how many/what level quickenings you used, you'll get a Concurrence, which is basically a finishing move.

Yes I do have all them of unlocked. And I know about the finishing bonus at the end, but is it random how many mist charges I get after I activate the first one? It all seems random to be honest and have no way of being able to reach more than say 6 or 7 hits consistently

Yo damn Foebreaker is a dumb license board. Using Vossler, I thought the Whole Thing was to have Wither and Expose but then I subclassed someone to Foebreaker and then discovered you gotta get through like Weapon Level 8 on the way to Expose. &#128560;

Actually unlocking anything on the license board is a clever meta game itself and late game stuff can be unlocked very early.
(hint: unlocking a skill on one board unlocks it on the other as well, study the location of specific licenses)

Yes I do have all them of unlocked. And I know about the finishing bonus at the end, but is it random how many mist charges I get after I activate the first one? It all seems random to be honest and have no way of being able to reach more than say 6 or 7 hits consistently

I mean, it is random. It's kind of like slots. When it gives you your three options, each character is given a random roll between their three quickenings and Mist Charge.

So let's say you're Balthier, and you used his lvl 1 Quickening. When the roll comes up you might get his lvl 1, lvl 2, lvl 3, or Mist Charge. If it's lvl 1 or lvl 2, you can select it, because since you originally used his level 1, you still have 2 bars left. If lvl 3 comes up, it'll be greyed out cause you no longer have enough bars to cast it (because you already used one to initiate the Quickening). So you have to choose another character's option or reroll with the R2 button. If it's Mist Charge, you'll get all his bars back and it will reroll so you can select something new. And this time you'll be guaranteed to select Balthier again, because you've given him all his bars back, so no matter if it's 1, 2, or 3, you'll be able to cast it

So if you want long chains, you'd want to select low level quickenings, because that leaves you with more mist bars available to you, so your odds are better of a roll coming up with something you're still got the bars left to cast. If you consistently use lvl 3s, you become reliant on Mist Charge showing up on the slot reel to refill that characters bars and give you the ability to continue the quickening chain.

Just got the game.
:)

First thing i notice.

INPUT LAG. why?? seems weird for a game like this. Running in the 4k mode on a ps4 pro if that makes a difference.

second thing i notice.

the cutscenes are no longer 60fps. I guess they didn't need to but still..

mindsale

The first thing is a lack of cure spells. You wouldn't be much of a healer until maybe halfway through.... And, even then basically no AOE cure for most of the story: basically Cure until Mt. Bur-Omisace once you can get Curaga and use it via Quickening 3, and then no Cura or Curaja until a late game esper.

Whether this is OK or not really depends on your character levels and weapons. If you're about the same level or slightly higher than monsters/bosses, and you're maybe stealing or looting a few good weapons early, it'll heal fine enough. You'll burn through encounters faster and Cure -> Hi Potions -> Curaga on a Decoy Tank (TBM does help with reducing your need for AOE cures) then you'll be OK.

But if you're a bit underleveled or 'normally' equipped, you could definitely feel the big lack of AOE Cura and also a much smaller MP pool without Mystic Armor.

Endgame though it's mostly stats, either Augments or especially Items. You're going to have access to much less MAG and MP without Mystic Armor.

You character matters a lot here. Ashe has 78 MAG at Lv99 and it decreases to the lowest two Balthier and Basch who have 63. Only 10 Magic Lore so either 88 to 73 MAG.

You'd definitely give the Magepower Shishak to this character so +5 there. You'd probably go with the Genji Armor too since your melee weapon could use the STR too and if even your healer is purely a Heavy Armor class, your other two characters may also be using the Grand Armor and Maximillion anyhow.

No staff or rod is OK because Holy doesn't effect cures. Your Whale Whisker would hit pretty hard, even sans Genji Glove you'd easily hit 99 STR. But your MAG would likely only reach 96 to 81. So on Ashe or Penelo, you'd basically heal the same as a WHM with worse MP. But you'd have difficulty making a MNK/TBM Basch heal as well as a pure WHM Basch.

You may have MP problems yet even endgame but when even your healer is smashing stuff with a Whale Whisker you're probably burning through fights pretty fast, so you can probably just cure/ether up between most encounters. Some of the biggest Hunts though you could run into MP/MAG problems if this character is Basch or Balthier I guess. Sort of depends how many elixirs you wanna burn haha. And on the flip side, it is you're likely to be doing/receiving a lot more damage than a traditional MP so MP-combat augments will help a lot. You may also get some synergy from Hashmal (assuming maybe for some reason you never really used a KNI and wanted to use Adramalech elsewhere), though I think it's a waste to use Hashmal to give a MNK Cura (who's already getting Curaja and Curaga) when it can give a KNI Curaja, Bravery, and Faith, and a MNK/TBM can just get Cura from Adramelech instead (but now you're missing Channelling 3). All of which, it's worth noting again, are mostly endgame,

Penelo would be my Monk / TBM, so she'll benefit from a higher inherent magic.

Which leaves me with a White Mage Ashe who I'll use as a healer in the meanwhile and transition to damage / off-healing once I've got the TBM / MNK Espered up.

I was thinking of making her a Foebreaker so she can eventually benefit from a Genji setup should I be able to get a second.

And lastly Basch as my Knight / Bushi.

Right now they're Ashe - WM; Basch - Knight; Penelo - Monk. I like those three characters a lot and I wouldn't mind a more offbeat party - the only restriction I'm imposing on myself is that these three party members must use all Espers between them.

Top Bottom