• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

mieumieu

Just got the game.
:)

First thing i notice.

INPUT LAG. why?? seems weird for a game like this. Running in the 4k mode on a ps4 pro if that makes a difference.

second thing i notice.

the cutscenes are no longer 60fps. I guess they didn't need to but still..

Cutscenes were never 60fps to begin with. Please for the love of humanity disregard the FPS counter on PCSX2 as it means jack.

Maledict

Re Genji gloves, can someone explain why they are so useful given that the 9999 damage limit was removed?

EDIT: ignore me, didnt realise they had a different function in ff12.

Cutscenes were never 60fps to begin with. Please for the love of humanity disregard the FPS counter on PCSX2 as it means jack.

I never played it on PCSX2. I have the original game (PAL version). It was 50hz. for the CGI cutscenes the game was definitely higher FPS. I guess i'm remembering wrong...

AlanOC91

Are the optional bosses in this hard compared to the optional FFX bosses? Only ever played like, 4 hours of this at most back in the PS2 days.

Isotropy

I never played it on PCSX2. I have the original game (PAL version). It was 50hz. for the CGI cutscenes the game was definitely higher FPS. I guess i'm remembering wrong...

The CG cutscenes, whether it's due to motion blur or actual FPS, definitely run higher than the 30fps in-engine.

I played a bit of the PS2 just before TZA though and I am quite certain the CG is identical between the two though...

Are the optional bosses in this hard compared to the optional FFX bosses? Only ever played like, 4 hours of this at most back in the PS2 days.

You don't need to do the insane stat-engineering that you need to do for the X super bosses. Definitely less of an utter stat-check wall, and more reliance on your own skill/gambit setups.

Aside from that though it's probably a matter of preference since the battle systems are so different.

BeeDog

My vague memory of FFX tells me that the FF12 superbosses are quite a bit easier. The thing about FF12 is that the right Gambit automation allows you to sit back and relax while your party chips away at the boss' insane HP pool.

Jennipeg

Wow, the Jelly ambush in the Henne mines is brutal, I didn't think it would ever end!

Aaaand I just got wiped out by some Redmaw's right after, thank God for the new autosave!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Something about a White Mage with a gun is really appealing

Pons

Neo Member
Maybe someone can offer tips/tricks/advice as it pertains to the license board/quickenings.

My Vaan is a Shikari/Time Battlemage. I am trying to switch between the boards to compare where the quickenings are to make sure I don't choose the wrong quickening and lock out something I don't want on the other board.

But with the way the boards change position when I hit the button to swap to the other board, I guess my eyes are having trouble lining up where one thing is on one board vs the other board. Since the boards are different.

Any advice? Can I just move the cursor to the lower left most point off the board on each and count up and to the right to know exactly where something is on both boards?

So paranoid about messing something up quickening wise and accidentally locking something out behind it on the other board that I want.

Maybe someone can offer tips/tricks/advice as it pertains to the license board/quickenings.

My Vaan is a Shikari/Time Battlemage. I am trying to switch between the boards to compare where the quickenings are to make sure I don't choose the wrong quickening and lock out something I don't want on the other board.

But with the way the boards change position when I hit the button to swap to the other board, I guess my eyes are having trouble lining up where one thing is on one board vs the other board. Since the boards are different.

Any advice? Can I just move the cursor to the lower left most point off the board on each and count up and to the right to know exactly where something is on both boards?

So paranoid about messing something up quickening wise and accidentally locking something out behind it on the other board that I want.

Copy this spreadsheet to your own google drive and you'll be able to see exactly which quickenings/espers you should get for your job combos

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rBpOmegCizn3KOPwrKvC5yipu9Yfh0IZ6YE-mh_e59g/edit#gid=1059552339

Otherwise if you're just not sure which quickening is which, just look at the cost (1 is 50, 2 is 75, 3 is 100, 4 is 125)

Pons

Neo Member
So tell me if I am understanding the spreadsheet correctly.

Copied it to my google drive and changed Vaan's jobs to Shikari/Time Battlemage.

So the way I am looking at this quickening section. I want to skip quickening 1/ninja swords 1 on shikari, so that i can unlock 2/3/4 on shikari, which will allow me to get the 150 hp on time battlemage hidden behind quickening 2..

is that the long and short of it basically?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9M8SsgxHBILZ0ZUdEVKQ1lldGc/view?usp=sharing

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Wow, the Jelly ambush in the Henne mines is brutal, I didn't think it would ever end!

Aaaand I just got wiped out by some Redmaw's right after, thank God for the new autosave!
Get yourself a Flame Staff + Firaga (I think you have access to Firaga at that point? If not, Fira). Laugh maniacally as you nuke a whole room of those assholes with a single cast.

So tell me if I am understanding the spreadsheet correctly.

Copied it to my google drive and changed Vaan's jobs to Shikari/Time Battlemage.

So the way I am looking at this quickening section. I want to skip quickening 1/ninja swords 1 on shikari, so that i can unlock 2/3/4 on shikari, which will allow me to get the 150 hp on time battlemage hidden behind quickening 2..

is that the long and short of it basically?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9M8SsgxHBILZ0ZUdEVKQ1lldGc/view?usp=sharing

That's the gist of it, though HP nodes are numbered and shared. So you might not even need quickening 2 to get the Time Mage one if Shikari has a 150 hp node (which it probably does, but I can't remember offhand).

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Just leave that optional boss and come back later when you have some Quickenings. The only thing to be found behind the boss are two optional areas for quite-high-level parties.
cool i just read that after being wiped over and over and over and over in those high level areas ..

gonna level at phon and return

Naar

I mean, it is random. It's kind of like slots. When it gives you your three options, each character is given a random roll between their three quickenings and Mist Charge.

So let's say you're Balthier, and you used his lvl 1 Quickening. When the roll comes up you might get his lvl 1, lvl 2, lvl 3, or Mist Charge. If it's lvl 1 or lvl 2, you can select it, because since you originally used his level 1, you still have 2 bars left. If lvl 3 comes up, it'll be greyed out cause you no longer have enough bars to cast it (because you already used one to initiate the Quickening). So you have to choose another character's option or reroll with the R2 button. If it's Mist Charge, you'll get all his bars back and it will reroll so you can select something new. And this time you'll be guaranteed to select Balthier again, because you've given him all his bars back, so no matter if it's 1, 2, or 3, you'll be able to cast it

So if you want long chains, you'd want to select low level quickenings, because that leaves you with more mist bars available to you, so your odds are better of a roll coming up with something you're still got the bars left to cast. If you consistently use lvl 3s, you become reliant on Mist Charge showing up on the slot reel to refill that characters bars and give you the ability to continue the quickening chain.

So its random like I thought lol

MogCakes

Is there a perfect gambit set/list somewhere?

Good enough to make the game play by itself
There are perfect setups for overworld traveling barring some stuff like entites, but the higher rank hunts and optional bosses will need setups tailored to their fights. Generally, there's a hierarchy of command you want to establish for each role. Here are some basic ones.

Healer/Support

Ally:
Raise
Curaja/ga/ra/e
Esuna/Poisona/Blindna/Vox/Stona
Regen
Haste
Protect
Shell
Bubble
Float/Berserk

Self:
Charge

Foe:
Dispel
Holy/Attack

Melee

Ally:
Phoenix Down
Status heal items

Foe:
1000 Needles/Shades of Black (flying)
Attack/Steal
Attack

Casters

Ally:
Phoenix Down
Status heal items

Self:
Charge

Foe:
Attack (reflect)
Scathe
Scathe
Scathe
Scathe
Scathe
Scathe
Scathe

Ranged

Ally:
Phoenix Down
Status heal items

Foe:
Shades of Black/Offensive magicks
Attack

Rookhelm

does it make any difference which character I give an Esper to?

Just got the first one, and don't really know how to determine who to give it to

And which sword was it that people were trying not to lock themselves out of behind a quickening?

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
trying to find some footage but i can't. every video i found is 30fps so i'll never find it.

i'm so certain i'd like someone to check their ps2 lol
Are you confusing the TVs refresh rate with the FPS the game was running at?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
i fucking miss this game

i love it so much

fucking destiny 2

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Ashe has the best magic stat in the game so don't fuck up like I did and give her some stupid Bushi/Uhlan job combo.

Now I have Sietengrat, Excalibur and Zodiac spear but I wish I had a proper three person party. I hate switching party members. I would have given Ashe Uhlan/Red Battlemage job and Knight/Bushi job for Basch.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
does it make any difference which character I give an Esper to?

Just got the first one, and don't really know how to determine who to give it to

And which sword was it that people were trying not to lock themselves out of behind a quickening?
Shikari has 4 Ninja sword licenses all behind quickenings, so you can only get 3 of them. Absolutely make sure you get Ninja sword 4. Others are up to you but IMO 2 and 3 are best. Those are water and earth elemental, which are hard elements to exploit in this game (there are no earth spells, and only a really weak water spell).

Other than that just take a look when you get each Esper and see which unlock you prefer. Top priority IMO is unlocking spells (white magic on monk/knight, time magic on Machinist) and swiftness.

Ourobolus

Banned
Ashe has the best magic stat in the game so don't fuck up like I did and give her some stupid Bushi/Uhlan job combo.

Now I have Sietengrat, Excalibur and Zodiac spear but I wish I had a proper three person party. I hate switching party members. I would have given Ashe Uhlan/Red Battlemage job and Knight/Bushi job for Basch.

I went Bushi/Uhlan. If you give her Genji Gear she can hit 99 STR/MAG, which are both of the stats needed for katanas.

Zaverious

Making Balthier Machinist/Black Mage feels so dumb. I reached Old Archades and I haven't seen the need for his slow moving gun and black magic I don't even need to use.

Just out of Raithwall's tomb and given everyone their second job. Really taking my time to enjoy this game.

Set up:

Vaan: Shikari/White Mage
Balthier: Shikari/Foebreaker
Fran: Archer/Red Battlemage
Basch: Bushi/Knight
Ashe: Black mage/Monk
Penelo: White mage/Time Battlemage

I've given Belias to Ashe as a nod to canon. Need to work out Espers for everyone now soon.

I'm pretty free flowing with party composition, whoever needs a level to catch up gets switched in. Always set up properly for boss tho.

Stayed away from trial mode so far, just did the first few rounds to get the diamond armlet. Is a cat ear hood available in the early rounds or coming up sometime soon in the story?

Love this game. Wish I had more free time to sink into it.

Top Bottom