• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Maledict

I disagree but you're entitled to your opinion fam.

So here's the positive I take from this. This is the first FF world where I've actually *really* like the culture and setting. I've only been playing for games since number 10, but it's easily the most coherent, interesting and unique world. So at least the setting delivered on that!

Jennipeg

That's not it works for most people. The fact that everything we do and all the characters and setting we like just gets blown to crap and every other race goes extinct puts a huge downer on everything.

Have to say, it also feels like a really stupid move creatively. Replace a unique and interesting setting, with multiple races and an atmosphere and aesthetic we dont often see in games, with an unbelievably stereotypical medieval fantasy world with a corrupt church and only humans?

It's a massive step down really.

I'd agree if the cataclysm happened 10 years after the end of XII, but all these characters are long dead. I don't mind seeing the Jedi in their prime, even though they get wiped out eventually. I'm sure there are other examples, but Star Wars comes to mind.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Until I went and researched the cataclysm I assumed it was a good ways out after the end of XII. But no, it happens within two or three generations. I never considered the
Ashe/Vayne Occuria denial and Esper release connection to the cataclysm
before this thread, but now I see a definite connection.

Subtle implications are the best. Matsuno, plz come back and make an Episode Ajora or Episode Fifty Years War x_x

MogCakes

I'd agree if the cataclysm happened 10 years after the end of XII, but all these characters are long dead. I don't mind seeing the Jedi in their prime, even though they get wiped out eventually. I'm sure there are other examples, but Star Wars comes to mind.
The Jedi being wiped out is pretty central to SW story though and the prequels are all about it. In Ivalice the cataclysm isn't hinted or foreshadowed in XII so the news hits newcomers out of left field. Just how things go - there's no right or wrong perspective.

Edit: of course, FFT vets will have made the connection and have subtle revelations as the party picks up ever more espers.

What I find strange about the connection between XII and Tactics is that it isn't fleshed out better in The War of the Lions re-release. Surely if the events of XII had resulted in the cataclysm some time after the end of the game (apparently a century, though I'm not sure where that numbers comes from), then they would've included references to those events in Tactics. Why only talk about moogles and the incredibly vague "winged ones" (could also be the Aegyl or the Gria) and not the Viera, Bangaa and Seeq? Why not outright call "the long lost civilization" beneath Goug the Rozarrian or Archadian empire?

Everything about it is just so vague. Too vague to even be called subtle. I'm sure there is a connection somewhere, but they could've done so much more with it. The evidence that is there certainly isn't solid enough in my opinion to state, as a fact, that either 10 or 92 years after XII the cataclysm was ushered in by the Espers and basically Ashe, Vayne and everybody else in XII is directly or indirectly responsible.

It's an interesting topic, at least. I will see if I can find more information about the connections between XII and Tactics.

Jolkien

I need a bit of help, I'm looking for the rare game Biding Mantis, it's supposed to spawn when you in game clock is between 30 and 59 minutes and it just doesn't spawn. I've tried 1 zoning like 50 times, even two zone and even loading a new area and coming back and it just refuse to spawn.

And yes I have the hunt club side quest I have about 20 trophies already. Anybody ran into this issue ?

Edit: Just figured out my problem, I must have nuked it at some point in the game by mistake I had already killed it >_<

Pantz

Got an add during the Gil Snapper fight.

35220397933_0b9a6d7022_o.png

Felt like a pretty epic MMO group fight with a full party of 6. Balthier rooting and using slow bolts from range. Vaan with silent shot ammo from range and emergency items. Larsa being a paladin, tanking up the add. Ashe keeping up protect, heals/rez, and extra damage from safe distance. Bansat being like a monk of some kind helping with shell/protect and dps. Even had to do a little kiting with ashe when disable broke.

There were better strats but this was a fun long fight slowly chipping away with minimal manual interaction.

Party:
Ashe - White Mage/Archer
Vaan - Foebreaker/Machinist
Balthier - Time Battlemage/Red Battlemage

That's not it works for most people. The fact that everything we do and all the characters and setting we like just gets blown to crap and every other race goes extinct puts a huge downer on everything.

Have to say, it also feels like a really stupid move creatively. Replace a unique and interesting setting, with multiple races and an atmosphere and aesthetic we dont often see in games, with an unbelievably stereotypical medieval fantasy world with a corrupt church and only humans?

It's a massive step down really.

It's not really unlike real life and real history. Civilisations die out, are forgotten and new ones replace them. It's an eternal cycle.

Maledict

It's not really unlike real life and real history. Civilisations die out, are forgotten and new ones replace them. It's an eternal cycle.

Civilizations yes - but we're talking, in less than a hundred years from ff12, the mass extinction of numerous sentient races. That's never happened before in our history, and even for fantasy worlds in particularly unusual and staggering - especially as it happens, between two games that have almost no relation to each other in theme or setting.

I mean, literally the extinction of all those different races? The moogles, the Bhangra, the bunny ladies? That's fairly freaking harsh.

bubumiao

In case anyone is still looking for a limited edition steel book, Wal-Mart has em online. Mine arrived today (ordered on Saturday).

iosefe

i've seen the steelbook in-store at my local best buy recently

in other news, finally made it past Trial 20. lead up was quite difficult. died on 21

Ferr986

So I gave Balthier Machinist and feels like I fucked up, so now I want him more attacking power for his subjob. But I don't know about bushi or black mage? any ideas?

-TK-

Oh my, the camera has so much input lag... Not that big deal in the game like this, but it's still pissing me so much.

Civilizations yes - but we're talking, in less than a hundred years from ff12, the mass extinction of numerous sentient races. That's never happened before in our history, and even for fantasy worlds in particularly unusual and staggering - especially as it happens, between two games that have almost no relation to each other in theme or setting.

I mean, literally the extinction of all those different races? The moogles, the Bhangra, the bunny ladies? That's fairly freaking harsh.

Well, we don't really know that much of the time before FFXII, what you're basing this off is merely from the idea that FFXII was the birth of Ivalice, there's other areas and times before it that are unknown as there was with FFT. If XII is around the end of that era then it's kind of interesting. We don't even know what the Cataclysm is and what it actually did. The environment changed. There's also Revenant Wings and FFTA2 also take place in the same era as XII, FFT only really has the OG game taking place then, so it's not like the XII era lost out that much. Then there's the mystery of Vagrant Story where that fits in (if at all).

Here's an interesting article about the event:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Cataclysm_(Ivalice)

It is mentioned most commonly in the descriptions of the wonders, and is credited with great destruction. At least one errand also speaks of it, revealing that, according to legend, humanity was saved from its effects by the Hero-King Mesa.

The Cataclysm is often assumed to be the cause behind the loss of Ivalice's most advanced technologies, though the game never outright states this. It also destroyed at least two races, the "winged ones" (possibly the aegyl), the moogles (as stated in the Siedge Weald) and the Clockwork City of Goug, and, if the Ivalician myth is true, threatened humanity, leading some to believe it is responsible for the disappearance of the non-hume races from Ivalice. The sinking of Mullonde, occurring at the end of Ajora's life and involving the drowning of an entire state of the Ivalician peninsula, may also relate to it. The Cataclysm created the Floating Continent, and destroyed Eureka and of the Fortress of Trials.

As the Cataclysm has only been referred to in the context of other events, however, it remains largely mysterious.

So it might not necessarily be that they are all dead but something else happened that made them go into hiding?

Also, I don't think it's less than a hundred years, rather over the course of just over a thousand years, if I remember right.

I'm open to persuasion, but it seems to me that Matsuno did not really focus on building out Ivalice in a neat, integrated way, and attempting to fill in the gaps between FFT, VS, and FF12 is a fool's errand.

I'm open to persuasion, but it seems to me that Matsuno did not really focus on building out Ivalice in a neat, integrated way, and attempting to fill in the gaps between FFT, VS, and FF12 is a fool's errand.

He definitely seems to have regretted the idea of it since he said on Twitter in 2010 that he doesn't consider Vagrant Story part of Ivalice and yet so many references to times past in Ivalice, (I still liken VS to being the absolute end and bleakest viewpoint of that world. Basically Ivalice gone to hell). The game's definitely can be picked up as standalone games for sure but it's not like Matsuno hasn't tried to connect works before like with Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre. FFT was more than likely a repurposed storyline originally meant to work with the Ogre Saga (as another Episode for that Saga) but instead went to fit in for the newly established Ivalice universe.

I think he made Vagrant Story with the specific purpose of it being a standalone piece rather than connecting with anything else but Square had other ideas and wanted it to be part of the same Ivalice mythos (probably for franchising/marketability reasons) so references were made to please that want. I think that's also where the conflicts came between Matsuno and Square - Matsuno probably feeling like Ivalice was becoming less of his creation and him not liking that, hence his departure from FFXII.

The only parts of the Ivalice universe that fit together okay seem to be FFXII, Revenant Wings and FFTA2. The rest just...kind of do, kind of don't. I'm interested to see if the Return to Ivalice raid for FFXIV will be placed in a specific time and what references will be made. If nothing else, all of the variations of the Ivalice universe is absolutely fascinating to me and so well built each time. Matsuno is the master of mysterious world building.

Jarekx

Trying to do all these hunts as they show up is pretty darn fun.

Antlion is currently kicking my butt. Need to finish him off then I'm heading back to the Stilshrine of Miriam.

Naar

Can someone explain how to chain quickings? The most I got was 13 hit, but it seems so random as if i can get 7 or 13 hits. Is it supposed to be random?

For example the whole party has 3 mist but once my 2nd character uses a quicking to chain it might be only 1 bar instead of 3

Balphon

So I gave Balthier Machinist and feels like I fucked up, so now I want him more attacking power for his subjob. But I don't know about bushi or black mage? any ideas?

Black Mage is probably a waste since you'd just want to use staves, mystic armor, and magic. Consequently, Machinist wouldn't add much. Same issue with Bushi, really, except with katanas instead.

Foebreaker wouldn't be a bad idea since you could decide between gun and axe/hammer as you prefer. Plus you'd end up with the good passives from Machinist and possibly the good time magic buffs on your breaker in the endgame.

TheCed

The Fact that Matsuno couldn't complete the story of FFXII could be the thing that prevented us from having a clear link from FFXII to FFT.

Can someone Tell me how FFTA fits into Ivalice because if I remember correctly,
it was just an imaginary world... nothing real.

and throwing FFTA2 into the mix... having
Mewt from FFTA and Vaan
in the same game just messes things up even more.

At lease RW is easy to link to the others.

There was also that unnamed cancelled project that happened after FFXII

Can someone contifm that Matsuno only worked on FFT and XII ?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The Fact that Matsuno couldn't complete the story of FFXII could be the thing that prevented us from having a clear link from FFXII to FFT.

Mewt from FFTA and Vaan

Don't forget Cloud!

Berordn

Mewt from FFTA and Vaan

FFTA was an imaginary world, FFTA2 was the actual Ivalice.

Mewt from FFTA and Vaan

He did FFTA too.

I get sick of reading that he didn't finish FF12's story before he left. I guatentee you that the story was pretty much always what it was going to be, prior to his departure. That sort of thing is planned before they start going hard into development. It's not something they're still coming up with right until the end.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Do party members outside of the active party earn EXP?

They earn License Points, but not exp. Not a big deal at all as you can easily sub them in and slaughter high level enemies to raise them up pretty quickly.

Edit: beaten.

Grewitch

Hi, i'm back again for more advice:

1: could someone explain to me tips on getting Quickenings for my characters? And how that relates to the tiles that are blocked beind them? Should i just feel free to grab them or what do I need to consider?

2:In regards to Espers, are some jobs/characters better optimised for them or is it okay just to give them to anyone? And how many can a character have?

Thank you kindly, and sorry if this has been answered already.

Berordn

But FFXII, FFTA and FFTA2 share some characters
(Montblanc and Mewt for exemple)

FFXII is the real Ivalice. The events of FFTA created a reflection of that universe, transforming the world that Mewt lived in (and the events of the game have you turn it back to normal). In FFTA2, Luso is transported to the real Ivalice instead.

It's possible the Advance universe is actually Ivalice in the far future, and Luso only time travels (since he somehow ends up in FFT, long after the Golden Age).

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
But FFXII, FFTA and FFTA2 share some characters
(Montblanc and Mewt for exemple)
FFTA is a fictional Ivalice, FFTA2 is the real deal. The real nebulous concept comes in St. Ivalice, the modern town at the beginning of both games. FFTA2 implies that it's the furthest in the timeline of Ivalice that we know, as the Grimoire sends Luso into the past.

So basically, FFTA and A2 both start in future Ivalice, but only A2 takes place in an actual part of Ivalice's history... as far as I know. It's also possible that Luso goes to an alternate dimension that is the Ivalice from the other games, it's not really clear. I like to think it's the end point of the world we know though, where things are modern and relatively normal for once.

SkylineRKR

Hi, i'm back again for more advice:

1: could someone explain to me tips on getting Quickenings for my characters? And how that relates to the tiles that are blocked beind them? Should i just feel free to grab them or what do I need to consider?

2:In regards to Espers, are some jobs/characters better optimised for them or is it okay just to give them to anyone? And how many can a character have?

Thank you kindly, and sorry if this has been answered already.

See for both Espers and Quickenings what kind of tiles they block. You're better off choosing the same quickening that unlocks a tile, then the one that doesn't.

TheCed

FFTA is a fictional Ivalice, FFTA2 is the real deal. The real nebulous concept comes in St. Ivalice, the modern town at the beginning of both games. FFTA2 implies that it's the furthest in the timeline of Ivalice that we know, as the Grimoire sends Luso into the past.

So basically, FFTA and A2 both start in future Ivalice, but only A2 takes place in an actual part of Ivalice's history... as far as I know. It's also possible that Luso goes to an alternate dimension that is the Ivalice from the other games, it's not really clear. I like to think it's the end point of the world we know though, where things are modern and relatively normal for once.

Okay, I get it.

I suppose the Grimoire is also responsible for the
prensence of Luso in FFT

About Cloud ? I've accepted that is was merely a non canon Cameo.

Earlier tonight I managed to get the Seitengrate Bow through the RNG trick posted a few days ago. I got a shock when it was
invisible
, thought my game had bugged out.

my opinion?: all 'canon' is a fool's errand. unless it's easy & obvious, just pass on it, take it as it comes, & enjoy the ride! :) ...

Does it? The game talks about Ivalice and Luso's hometown as seperate worlds, not past and future. Late in the game (spoilers for the last mission of FFTA2!)...
Illua does make a pact with the God of Time, but only uses it, if memory serves, to transport her and Luso & co. to the place where the Neukhia resides. The God of Time isn't specifically connected to the grimoires, either Luso's or Illua's, as far as I know.

You guys suggest dropping a specific ninja sword? I'm leaning towards Iga since there are more ways of casting water damage than Earth, and NS1 seems useful.

Thoughts?

Top Bottom