• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

This game is so poorly balanced. I've left it at 4x speed and haven't looked back, it really does play itself.

Yeah trash mobs are very easy, and after just a bit of power leveling on the Lhusu Mines skeleton bridge even bosses go down quick to basic gambits. Couple hunts made me change up my tactics, but those are few and far between.

I'm still having a great time pushing through the world, slaughtering everything, and progressing my characters. It's a low-effort, relaxed experience, for sure.

.......those two are my favorite dungeons...

XII is basically wall-to-wall my favorite dungeons in the series. I wish like hell more JRPGs had anything as good.

I'd say if you're feeling the need to use 4x speed for large periods of time you're probably not enjoying the game much to start with

This is bullshit dude. Enjoying the game with the gameplay unchanged, just faster, doesn't mean you don't actually enjoy the game. That's like saying people who listen to audiobooks at 1.5x or 2x speed don't really enjoy those books.

The speed boost is fucking awesome. I wish like hell every RPG had something like this. It's how I play every pre-PSX RPG these days anyway, and it's nice to see the feature creep into new titles. It was great in Bravely Default, it's great here. Shit, next thing you'll be saying you don't really like Fire Emblem if you turn off all the animations so it goes faster.

Fisty

XII is basically wall-to-wall my favorite dungeons in the series. I wish like hell more JRPGs had anything as good.

This is bullshit dude. Enjoying the game with the gameplay unchanged, just faster, doesn't mean you don't actually enjoy the game. That's like saying people who listen to audiobooks at 1.5x or 2x speed don't really enjoy those books.

The speed boost is fucking awesome. I wish like hell every RPG had something like this. It's how I play every pre-PSX RPG these days anyway, and it's nice to see the feature creep into new titles. It was great in Bravely Default, it's great here. Shit, next thing you'll be saying you don't really like Fire Emblem if you turn off all the animations so it goes faster.

Yeah speed up is great, I think it's something that should be in every RPG, even if it's locked behind beating the game once first. Would have LOVED something like 4x speed on every Dragon Age game ever, those games literally become "run between 300 quest markers pressing a button when you stop" when you do clean-up on the quest list

Loving this so much. I'm leaving my job soon and a co-worker straight up gave me a steelbook copy out of the blue as a going away gift.

Killing me that I haven't had the time to play as much as I'd like. Only up to Raithwall now. I played through about 70% of the Japanese Zodiac edition a couple years ago and can't wait to finally push past that point.

I really like, in RPGs, when you can venture to an area that you have no right being in too early but through planning/strategy/straight up cheesing you can manage to snag some good items that make the main story smoother. This game has that in spades. It's a delicate balance though, you can make yourself way too overpowered quite easily and I guess the game can earn the "plays itself" criticism that some people chuck at it.

I'm not too concerned with second jobs to be honest. I don't think the Zodiac version was really balanced with that in mind. That said I'll probably change my tune when I get bodied by end game hunts.

I'm just getting thru the trash areas. I'm playing for the strong bosses down the road. I'll probably do those on 2x speed so I can adjust on the fly. Don't think I've ever had this or will have it on normal speed.

Ponn

Banned
I picked my second classes, no turning back now.

Vaan - Shikari/Foebreaker
Balthier - Machinist/Knight
Fran - Red Mage/Archer
Ashe - Black Mage/Monk
Basch - Uhlan/Bushi
Penelo - White Mage/Time Mage

MogCakes

This game is so poorly balanced. I've left it at 4x speed and haven't looked back, it really does play itself.
TZA is the easiest of the three versions of XII from what I've played so far. I haven't done all that much extra killing or any optional content and my party can handle almost anything in less than 30 seconds. My equipment is easily kept up to date because I have so much gil (phon coast). The spell queue no longer being a thing has allowed total magic domination within the first few seconds of any encounter that isn't an entite, rare game or optional boss and the enemes have barely any chance to fight back. I'll be trying out weak mode to see how much of a challenge it poses.

h3ro

I picked my second classes, no turning back now.

Vaan - Shikari/Foebreaker
Balthier - Machinist/Knight
Fran - Red Mage/Archer
Ashe - Black Mage/Monk
Basch - Uhlan/Bushi
Penelo - White Mage/Time Mage
This looks to go along with some of the other combinations I've read online.
Does anyone have any tweaks they would do if they were only looking to do 1 run through of the game and not miss out on any important equipment/skills?

SkylineRKR

I'm sure I would enjoy this game without speed up. It would just make some marks and backtracking more tedious, as in every other RPG out there. Its not that FFXII is shit without it, it just would've been like any other that way. But now you have the option to power through those sections if desired.

kromeo

I'm not talking about using it as a quality of life feature, I was talking about one person who said he's literally used it for the whole game. You can barely even see what's happening or control the character properly at 4x

I'm not talking about using it as a quality of life feature, I was talking about one person who said he's literally used it for the whole game. You can barely even see what's happening or control the character properly at 4x

4x is a little much for towns and confined areas, but works well enough for fields imo.

Toggling between 2x and 4x by holding L1 and pressing left/right on the Dpad is a godsend.

Ponn

Banned
This looks to go along with some of the other combinations I've read online.
Does anyone have any tweaks they would do if they were only looking to do 1 run through of the game and not miss out on any important equipment/skills?

I was really going back and forth on swapping Bushi to Ashe and then Knight to Basch. That would have left Monk and Time Mage left (im doing an all classes and close to lore run). If I did that I would have to give Penelo Monk because Balthier as Machinest/Monk was not sitting well with me. So that means Balthier would end up a Machinist/Time Mage. So in the end I guess I went with what I did out of trying to balance the party out.

Toggling between 2x and 4x by holding L1 and pressing left/right on the Dpad is a godsend.

WHAT

feel like a goof now - I've been hopping into the options menu this whole time.

Game was kind of a cakewalk, but the Gil Snapper really kicked my ass for a bit. I didn't go in with the most optimized build for it, and the part at the end where it keeps tossing out higher-level magic really did me in. I'm at the Bomb boss fight in the woods now - it's the first story one where I've really had to stop and re-evaluate my tactics and I'm loving it. Wish this game had a more typical hard mode, but I'm looking forward to doing the LV1 run somewhere down the line.

also 2x is nice but 4x is lovely. I'm still having a good time exploring and going through the areas, it's just that - unlike when I was younger and rented this game during a lazy summer - I don't really have the time that I want to dedicate to trudging through the same few areas over and over. I'm getting far more into the hunts and sidequests than I would have otherwise.

e: also (also) I looove the more focused license boards with the job system. Makes it a lot less daunting and less... homogenizing.

i may or may not have a couple of seitengrads now as well

Wadiwasi

Banned
So just got the FFXII steelbook delivered. Opened the package to start playing a little before work and found out what that horrible exploding noise came from in my place last night =(

It was around 1:30 a.m. and it sounded like someone threw a half glass, half plastic cup into fan blades. Scared the living crap out of us. I checked the entire house and even outside. No windows broken, no electronics on fire, nothing. Went back to bed.

Well, just tried to turn on my PS4 with my controller that was plugged in, and it wouldn't turn on.....Seems as though it was the controller. The PS4 turned on fine manually and when I pulled out the charging cable from the controller there was this blue-green substance on the metal of the cable and on the back of the controller. Thank god that did not catch on fire. Anyone else have this issue before? It was a really freaking loud noise. Was either complete coincidence or the battery in this thing popped internally.

Zakkath

If you dont give optimized jobs to characters will i then get to a point where i cant beat a boss or something ?

Not at all. You can enjoy the game any way you want. We are all just trying to min/max characters to make our party optimal (and probably overpowered). Still, I would not advise going without any healer in there.

Meowster

I cannot play the game at the standard speed. I've tried but I'm so used to 2x now that I've become aware of just how slow the combat/animations are. Probably somewhere between normal and 2x would have been the right spot.

neoism

Yeah trash mobs are very easy, and after just a bit of power leveling on the Lhusu Mines skeleton bridge even bosses go down quick to basic gambits. Couple hunts made me change up my tactics, but those are few and far between.

I'm still having a great time pushing through the world, slaughtering everything, and progressing my characters. It's a low-effort, relaxed experience, for sure.

Yea relaxed as shit 4x is too fast though but the base speed is waaaay to slow no wonder I played the of game for 200hours lol

Love in it to death but still wish it didn't seem soo zoomed in I wish the camera was further back also wish the voice option was separated from the cutscenes on 4x speed all of the character grunts and sighs are annoying so I turn the voice all the way off the go in a cut scene to no voice lol

Still meh about the job system the of game was better I liked being able to make all characters do the same if I want seems like the isn't enough licenses

Fisty

Yea relaxed as shit 4x is too fast though but the base speed is waaaay to slow no wonder I played the of game for 200hours lol

Love in it to death but still wish it didn't seem soo zoomed in I wish the camera was further back also wish the voice option was separated from the cutscenes on 4x speed all of the character grunts and sighs are annoying so I turn the voice all the way off the go in a cut scene to no voice lol

Still meh about the job system the of game was better I liked being able to make all characters do the same if I want seems like the isn't enough licenses

Try holding down on the right analog stick if you think it's too zoomed in

My current team outside after the escape with Basch as a guest:

Vaan: Shikari(Foebreaker)
Balthier: Machinist(White Mage)
Fran: Archer(Red Battlemage)

Future roles:

Basch: Uhlan(Bushi)
Ashe: Knight(Time Battlemage)
Penelo: Monk(Black Mage)

Any changes you'd advice? Jobs in () are the ones I plan to give them later. Unsure if I should give someone else Bushi or Knight...

jimmypython

Balthier: Machinist/Time Mage
Fran: Archer/Black Mage
Basch: Uhlan/Knight
Ashe: Red Mage/White Mage
Penelo: Monk/Bushi

My combination seems lol

Jolkien

Whoever designed the great crystal and though it was a good idea should be fired. Even with a map I'm completely lost in that place.

What in the hell is up with this test weapon that's in an invisible chest in such a random place? How in the world was that even discovered? Will it be patched out?

Brakke

Banned
I asked yesterday, sorry if it was answered and I missed it: once you have two classes with different Armor classes, is there any trade-off to prefer one over the other? Like do you act more often with Light Armor vs Heavy Armor or anything?

Brakke

Banned
Can a red mage do the job of a white mage? I gave that class to Penelo but now I hate her lol

I dunno about long term viability but if you rush Red Mage to Cura as soon as the spell is available, you'll be fine up to and at least a bit beyond the dungeon where you get second classes (Raithwall).

Ferr986

I dunno about long term viability but if you rush Red Mage to Cura as soon as the spell is available, you'll be fine up to and at least a bit beyond the dungeon where you get second classes (Raithwall).

Already past there, it's just that I gave everyone a different job without thinking much about viability....

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
My current team outside after the escape with Basch as a guest:

Vaan: Shikari(Foebreaker)
Balthier: Machinist(White Mage)
Fran: Archer(Red Battlemage)

Future roles:

Basch: Uhlan(Bushi)
Ashe: Knight(Time Battlemage)
Penelo: Monk(Black Mage)

Any changes you'd advice? Jobs in () are the ones I plan to give them later. Unsure if I should give someone else Bushi or Knight...
Basch is a Knight, Ashe is good with spears. I would give Uhlan to Ashe and Knight to Basch. Rest all is great.

Basch is a Knight, Ashe is good with spears. I would give Uhlan to Ashe and Knight to Basch. Rest all is great.

Noted! Are there any good weapons to get where I'm at(or slightly farther on) for each character's first job? Got Gladius for Vaan and he's amazing now(do want him to get a shield soon(why don't Shikari start with Shield 1?!)).

Fisty

Already past there, it's just that I gave everyone a different job without thinking much about viability....

You should be fine with RM if you are using tanky classes, I believe RM gets curaga and regen, so if the rest of your party can take a few hits RM should be able to cover them easily. Try to have one of your other party members get Phoenix lores and set them up with gambits to cover your ass in the big fights

I asked yesterday, sorry if it was answered and I missed it: once you have two classes with different Armor classes, is there any trade-off to prefer one over the other? Like do you act more often with Light Armor vs Heavy Armor or anything?

Heavy gives the most defense and gives str bonuses.
Light gives moderate defense and hp bonuses.
Mystic gives magic resist and magic power bonuses.

So really, you should be using Heavy or Mystic, if you're not having problems staying alive, since these will also boost your offense.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Noted! Are there any good weapons to get where I'm at(or slightly farther on) for each character's first job? Got Gladius for Vaan and he's amazing now(do want him to get a shield soon(why don't Shikari start with Shield 1?!)).
Gladius is good. Well you can try to steal a Karkata from Trial mode stage 3 (Flowering Cactus or something). It has 92 attack and will be helpful for a long time. After a successful steal you need to finish the stage and exit back to the main menu. If you don't wanna do that then just you know keep doing the story as it will unlock new gear at vendors or you can just find them while exploring.

Ferr986

You should be fine with RM if you are using tanky classes, I believe RM gets curaga and regen, so if the rest of your party can take a few hits RM should be able to cover them easily. Try to have one of your other party members get Phoenix lores and set them up with gambits to cover your ass in the big fights

Thanks!

Gladius is good. Well you can try to steal a Karkata from Trial mode stage 3 (Flowering Cactus or something). It has 92 attack and will be helpful for a long time. After a successful steal you need to finish the stage and exit back to the main menu. If you don't wanna do that then just you know keep doing the story as it will unlock new gear at vendors or you can just find them while exploring.

Will try to get it next session! Is there a list for what's in the chests etc in the trials or good steals?

hemo memo

Gold Member
In Eruyt Village and only 1 marchent and doesn't have the Break spell to buy before heading to Henne mines, did I miss something?

Fisty

In Eruyt Village and only 1 marchent and doesn't have the Break spell to buy before heading to Henne mines, did I miss something?

IIRC you have to do something in Eruyt before it will unlock at the moogle shop, I can't remember if you have to get Mjrn back first or not, but there is some kind of quest flag you have to do before it will let you buy Break

Yokai

Man, I really hope they release this in the PC. I've been getting nostalgia laden lately and would like to see if I like the game more with the new systems.

Does anyone know if the job system scales well with end game content? That's my only concern.

Not liking characters not gaining any XP out of party. One of my bugbears of RPG. Means I'm just going to roll with a main team than swap about trying to get everyone levelled.

Top Bottom