• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 E3 Information Thread [Trailer, BioWare Storytelling, More]

Vamphuntr

Regulus Tera said:
I used to think Moogles were always awesome and cute and cuddly and badarse.

Squeenix keeps on disappointing me.

Like I posted with the video before, this change is not new to FF and we can't blame FFXIII-2 for this. The moogle VA is exactly the same in FF Fables Choboco Dungeons Wii.

Had no idea all this media was released for this game. Quite surprised. I gotta be honest here, I'm not digging this music at all.
Vamphuntr said:
Like I posted with the video before, this change is not new to FF and we can't blame FFXIII-2 for this. The moogle VA is exactly the same in FF Fables Choboco Dungeons Wii.
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I heard that kupo sound in that 20 min gameplay vid of Type 0 as well.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Vamphuntr said:

That doesn't excuse Squeenix.

daffy

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
I used to think Moogles were always awesome and cute and cuddly and badarse.

Squeenix keeps on disappointing me.
I know right? Why is this beast actually stretching kupo?! Its supposed to be a quick sound effect god dammit, like meow and pikachu!

Despera

Banned
I care more about the beat than the rapping, but at least this one doesn't have Engrish lyrics. The battle theme aint bad either.
Not as amazing as XIII's, but still pretty fun to play to. I appreciate how they're trying to change things up a bit.

The Moogle on the other hand... I'll reserve my judgement for later.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Synless said:
Rap music? Wtf have they done!?!?!? Seriously, that one track with the woman rapping (non-battle) is horrid.
Signs of Love had a small amount of "rap" (if you can call it that) and it was much better than what we hear in the gameplay vid, imo.
I really like Signs of Love, but it's the only example I can use here.

...The more I think about it, the more unsure I am about the music situation. Like I said before, it's like the director or someone else gave Hamauzu a piece of paper with a checklist and said "do this because it's successful", or asked someone else to collaborate and the prototype track sounds odd... It's more likely because I'm listening to this out of context, but a lot of it feels out of place to me. It would make sense if it were used in FFX's Zanarkand at the beginning of that game.

The only thing that I'm okay with is the regular battle theme and the fact that the environmental theme sounds more actiony prior to an encounter. The other BGMs are starting to bug me (a lot) based on the fact that they don't sound very melodic, and it contrasts with some of the stuff Hamauzu's composed. If he is collaborating with someone, I'd like to know who. I get that it's probably to make the game seem more serious/mature/with a darker tone, but it doesn't really come across that way for me.

There isn't anything wrong with experimentation at all, mind you--I loved FFXIII's soundtrack because it experimented with different genres throughout the soundtrack itself, providing varying genres for the game. It's just... I wish I could hear the track in isolation, I guess, to see if it's melodic enough in terms of instrumentation or backing vocals. It's probably partially due to the fact that I'm so used to hearing that stuff come from Sonic and Persona, and it's a little jarring coming from Final Fantasy (X-2 excluded). I really need to hear more of both tracks to give an adequate review of them. Let me be clear: I don't mind its existence. It simply sounds odd (perhaps it is a prototype and placeholder track) and a tad out-of-place.

Anyway, hmm. Does this game have difficulty settings, I wonder? I'd love for some difficulty settings.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Nothing wrong with rap if it's pulled off well.

Although at this rate, I'm expecting a Final Fantasy game to have country music or gospel.

At least the Persona rap stuff is corny to the point of it being funny. But this shit... ugh. I'm playing through Lost Odyssey for the first time and it's superior to FF13 in every way IMO. I stayed away from it due to all the negative criticism it got when it came out and bought it when it got cheap, but it still sat on my shelf til now.

Gravijah

Aeana said:
Nah. Persona 4 had amazing stuff like this and this instead.

I generally prefer Persona 4's stylings over 3's, although I do love me some Deep Breath, Deep Breath which incidentally is one of the rappy songs in the game.

They both are amazing in their own ways, but damn it, I like my totally cheesy "urban" P3 music.

I mean, I'm playing a game in which the characters have to point guns to their heads and pull the trigger to unleash their hidden potential, which are creatures, beasts and people from mythology & religions. You also have to befriend people to strengthen yourself to save the world. Rap is just awesome icing on the cake.

Hey, I did say it was corny to the point of being funny, I meant that in an endearing way. I love the Persona games, but yeah it is some really bad rap. My point was that this FF13-2 rap music is bad too but doesn't even have the corniness of the Persona stuff so therefore it has no redeeming qualities IMO.

polyh3dron said:
Hey, I did say it was corny to the point of being funny, I meant that in an endearing way. I love the Persona games, but yeah it is some really bad rap. My point was that this FF13-2 rap music is bad too but doesn't even have the corniness of the Persona stuff so therefore it has no redeeming qualities IMO.
I think you're judging before even hearing it really in the game and making very hasty judgments over what is otherwise a good battle theme.

ZephyrFate said:
I think you're judging before even hearing it really in the game and making very hasty judgments over what is otherwise a good battle theme.

They're talking more about the dungeon(?) theme than anything.

But no those boss battle lyrics actually hurt more since they make sense. I can actually understand the stupidity of the ideas they are trying to get across.

Would totally listen to it without lyrics though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Kagari said:
They let Hamauzu do the music again, that's what.
That's a good thing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Kagari said:
and XIII had a lot of dull tracks with few good ones.
It's a pity you feel that way... I'm sure the overall census of the music was that it was incredible.

MoogPaul

I actually really liked the soundtrack to XIII. Best part of the game IMO. Loved the variety from songs like this that you wouldn't have heard in a Final Fantasy game before. I purchased the soundtrack.

MoogPaul said:
I actually really liked the soundtrack to XIII. Best part of the game IMO. Loved the variety from songs like this that you wouldn't have heard in a Final Fantasy game before. I purchased the soundtrack.

X-2 had jazz as well.

xion4360

The music would be fine if it weren't for the vocals.. I detest when they do that....I noticed Hamauzu did it with a number of XIII tracks so I feared it would become more common in this.. and I was right.. Pretty much every track had vocals, fucking rapping. UGH..

Kagari said:
I don't like what's been shown so far in XIII-2, and XIII had a lot of dull tracks with few good ones.

I can't really comment on anything from XIII-2 yet, but XIII had an amazing soundtrack. I honestly can't really think of any dull tracks from that game. Bringing Hamazu back can only lead to good things.

Gvaz

Banned
If you thought so you've probably never heard fans append kupo to the end of their sentences, kupo.

It sounds fine, moogles are annoying themselves so it makes sense.

Gvaz said:
If you thought so you've probably never heard fans append kupo to the end of their sentences, kupo.

It sounds fine, moogles are annoying themselves so it makes sense.
FFIX says otherwise. The Moogles in that game are fucking awesome.

Synless

Kagari said:
I don't like what's been shown so far in XIII-2, and XIII had a lot of dull tracks with few good ones.
I have to disagree, I thought XIII's soundtrack for the most part, was amazing. What I am hearing here with XIII-2's soundtrack so far is not the same, the new rock battle music kind of sucks in comparison to XIII's, and the rap music blows.

Andrefpvs

People probably already noticed this, but you now can earn Gil in addition to spoils in some battles. Should help with the grinding.

Kagari said:
This. Nobuo Uematsu's score for Lost Odyssey OTOH has loads of awesome tracks. Playing that game reminds me of just how little of the FF13 score was actually good.

polyh3dron said:
This. Nobuo Uematsu's score for Lost Odyssey OTOH has loads of awesome tracks. Playing that game reminds me of just how little of the FF13 score was actually good.
Except that... it was actually fantastic.

h3ro

polyh3dron said:

LO's map theme was amazing.

Top Bottom