• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
You know, Academia looks like a place from Star Oean by the tri-Ace guys. :p

rataven

I really like him. He's probably one of my favourite main protagonists in an FF in quite a while (outside of Sazh and Balthier). His dialogue's great, and he seems well-developed enough to the point of me empathizing with his plight.

I love how he trolls Serah if you choose the goofy option in the Live Triggers.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Noel is a JRPG Hero done right. He goes through change and deals with it without sounding whiny but still realistic. He has a strong back and knows what he wants but still unsure about the uncertainties that the world throws at him. Seriously, NB needs to learn from this character. The only hero of Tales that I enjoyed was Yuri. Everything else was bad or average.

You know, Academia looks like a place from Star Oean by the tri-Ace guys. :p

I wouldn't doubt it. Didn't Tri-Ace help develop this game?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Noel is a JRPG Hero done right. He goes through change and deals with it without sounding whiny but still realistic. He has a strong back and knows what he wants but still unsure about the uncertainties that the world throws at him. Seriously, NB needs to learn from this character. The only hero of Tales that I enjoyed was Yuri. Everything else was bad or average.

SE did say that Noel is their most orthodox hero in a long while.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Yeah, Noel is a quite a decent character for being an hero from Square Enix. The fact already that most of the time he is not whining about his status helps him being better received.

Tizoc

Which roles should I unlocked for Noel and Serah? I understand that Noel isn't a good SAB; what about SYN, should I unlock this role for both of them?

njean777

Guys/Girls I am having a debate with myself inside, I love the game btw I was hesitant about the random battle but thankfully you can run away from most of them if you need to get somewhere quickly. But as for my personal quarrel: I really want the albino lobo, but I spent at least an hour trying to run into one in Bresha Ruins after getting all 8 fragments and completing everything (even went to the southeast tunnels and ran around the pillar for 30 of these minutes). Is it really worth it to catch this monster? I really dont want to waste a huge amount of time catching it, just for it to be replaced in an hour or so. So please gaf advise....

rataven

Just made it to the Yaschas Massif. Bit of a difficulty spike! Found myself trapped in a corner by a
behemoth
and even with retrys I could not avoid the battle. Made it through by the skin of my teeth with SEN/RAV/MED. Not a single star was earned, but I survived!

This place is stunning. Gorgeous music. And just ran into
Hope. Aww, he's all grown up.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I think I've repeated this like a parrot but he's very down to earth. He understands and he whines from time to time but he does it in a way that suits him. Being the last person in the world has cultivated him with certain characteristics.

Played up to beginning of chapter 2. Liking it a lot so far. The battle system is as great as ever and exploring is fun. I kind of think XIII ruined me in that regard since I was wandering around way too much, sometimes to the same specific area multiple times. It's definitely different.

I'm also liking the story so far, though there are some noticeable issues with the dialogue here and there. Though what bothers me more than the lines themselves is the delivery on some of them. It's not really a big deal and I know for a fact it won't detract from my enjoyment of the story, but it's still something I'm noticing more than I did in XIII.

That being said, I like Noel a lot. He's the typical shounen protagonist that doesn't take it too far like Snow and doesn't whine about stuff despite his shitty back story. I kind of wish Serah wasn't even a factor in this and he got paired up with someone else like Sazh. Now that would be a fun duo.

Also, the prologue was visually amazing. Basically Advent Children with QTEs. I actually like the numbers showing up all over the place during interactive cutscenes like that. It reminds me of that one AC gif that I can't find right now.

So yeah, I'm thinking I'll like this a lot though maybe not as much as XIII.

I think I've repeated this like a parrot but he's very down to earth. He understands and he whines from time to time but he does it in a way that suits him. Being the last person in the world has cultivated him with certain characteristics.

Like Sazh, he's a well-balanced character. He doesn't have an over-exaggerated character trait like most other characters. He's relatively normal.

Xevren

Guys/Girls I am having a debate with myself inside, I love the game btw I was hesitant about the random battle but thankfully you can run away from most of them if you need to get somewhere quickly. But as for my personal quarrel: I really want the albino lobo, but I spent at least an hour trying to run into one in Bresha Ruins after getting all 8 fragments and completing everything (even went to the southeast tunnels and ran around the pillar for 30 of these minutes). Is it really worth it to catch this monster? I really dont want to waste a huge amount of time catching it, just for it to be replaced in an hour or so. So please gaf advise....

Just skip it, unless you happen to luck into it I wouldn't bother. I think I only saw one in a 2 hour span. You'll find monsters that do just fine soon anyway.

Esura

Banned
I must be the only one here who isn't digging Noel as much. I like Serah and Mog more.
Older Hope
is cool too.

PK Gaming

Oh yeah, definitely going to join the Noel train. He's an honest to god, one of my favorite FF characters of all time. It also helps that his actor (Jason Marsden aka TINO TONITINI) did a bang up job.

EDIT: He also hates on Snow like a boss.

All aboard Kreiss train.

Esura

Banned
"Hey Lightning, I heard it was supposed to rain today. Do you know where my umbrella is, Lightning? Lightning, I can't go out without an umbrella...can I?"

Stop asking questions to someone who isn't here...GOD!

: /

Still found that more tolerable than Noel. He also loses points from me with
hating on Snow, one of my favs from FFXIII.

Meier

Just snagged the red chocobo. Is he significantly different than the yellow? I've seen people mention the green.. assuming that one is a healer. I hope so because Cait Sith sucks ass with that low HP.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Which roles should I unlocked for Noel and Serah? I understand that Noel isn't a good SAB; what about SYN, should I unlock this role for both of them?
How far are you in? Noel's a good Syn; he gets far more skills than Serah does. But if you're using monsters as Synergists primarily, you can stave off of unlocking the role for them a little bit.

"Hey Lightning, I heard it was supposed to rain today. Do you know where my umbrella is, Lightning? Lightning, I can't go out without an umbrella...can I?"

Stop asking questions to someone who isn't here...GOD!

: /
Yeah, it doesn't necessarily irritate me, but it's sometimes pointless review dialogue which doesn't really serve to develop Serah's character much. Admittedly, Vanille's narration worked better in comparison since it was an inner monologue/soliloquy, not a one-sided dialogue.

PK Gaming said:
EDIT: He also hates on Snow like a boss.
It made me smile so much. :3

Cheska

I basically reached the point where I couldn't go any further so I went back to Bresha Ruins so I could take the gate to
Sunleth
. Waay too strong for this area ahaha, but I'm so glad I got to see
Snow <3, who's outfit isn't bothering me nearly as much as it initially did. Must be that voice <3 <3 <3
. Anyways, I have this problem with RPGs where I can't run away from battles, so I've spent more time fighting monsters than actually advancing with the story.

Speaking of monsters, who is everyone mainly using as their third party member?

Tizoc

How far are you in? Noel's a good Syn; he gets far more skills than Serah does. But if you're using monsters as Synergists primarily, you can stave off of unlocking the role for them a little bit.
I am now at
Arch Steppe ??? AF. Trying to figure out how to approach the big dragon and kill it. I've maxed out their ATB gauges and am at 90 for equipment.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is there a link to the random clock puzzle generator? It's driving me me nuts.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I am now at
Arch Steppe ??? AF. Trying to figure out how to approach the big dragon and kill it. I've maxed out their ATB gauges and am at 90 for equipment.
lol, well, if you've unlocked all other classes and their role bonuses (did you get the COM and RAV role bonuses I and II for Noel and Serah respectively, because I'd advise getting those first), you can unlock Syn.

As for the
big dragon you know you can set the weather to just lightning (not rain) and the Gui'll go away

As for
the dragon
itself, I used...
Rav/Sab
Rav/Rav
Com/Rav
Com/Sab
Sen/Med (Entrench is wonderful~, and Noel's dialogue during the counterattack is great)
Syn/Med

Slow would've actually helped out in this battle because its attack/cast speeds are pretty fast. I switched to Sen/Med whenever the attack seemed 'big', and then switched back to trying to stagger it or combo it into submission.

Cheska said:
Speaking of monsters, who is everyone mainly using as their third party member?
I kinda want to know this because I'll be coming up to a part when I'll be needing a good SEN monster soon to act as bait.

Tizoc

lol, well, if you've unlocked all other classes and their role bonuses (did you get the COM and RAV role bonuses I and II for Noel and Serah respectively, because I'd advise getting those first), you can unlock Syn.

As for the
big dragon you know you can set the weather to just lightning (not rain) and the Gui'll go away

As for
the dragon
itself, I used...
Rav/Sab
Rav/Rav
Com/Rav
Com/Sab
Sen/Med (Entrench is wonderful~, and Noel's dialogue during the counterattack is great)
Com/Med

Slow would've actually helped out in this battle because its attack/cast speeds are pretty fast. I switched to Sen/Med whenever the attack seemed 'big', and then switched back to trying to stagger it or combo it into submission.

I kinda want to know this because I'll be coming up to a part when I'll be needing a good SEN monster soon to act as bait.

Thanks, I didn't think to change it actually as I assumed the monster'd disappear as well lol.
So Serah's a good SAB then? Cuz I've read that Noel isn't a good SAB.

EDIT: The monster I have as a Syn doesn't have Protect and Shell =_=, though the SAB monster I got has Deprotect and Deshell.

rataven

I'm still using the Pulse Knight for SEN, and the lunk gets the job done. But I only just reached
Oerba
, so not sure what other options may be coming up.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thanks, I didn't think to change it actually as I assumed the monster'd disappear as well lol.
So Serah's a good SAB then? Cuz I've read that Noel isn't a good SAB.
Serah's a great Sab, especially since her MAG is likely high for you. Noel isn't as good because his skillset is meh and you're better off with him doing other things. But if you want, you can use a Sab monster and just have Noel and Serah stick to their regular roles.

I'm just using Serah as a Sab, Noel as a Syn, and both as Meds because I'm using two party members exclusively.

rataven said:
I'm still using the Pulse Knight for SEN, and the lunk gets the job done.
Thanks. If I have to, I'll just resort to it.

Tizoc

Serah's a great Sab, especially since her MAG is likely high for you. Noel isn't as good because his skillset is meh and you're better off with him doing other things. But if you want, you can use a Sab monster and just have Noel and Serah stick to their regular roles.

I'm just using Serah as a Sab, Noel as a Syn, and both as Meds because I'm using two party members exclusively.

Thanks. If I have to, I'll just resort to it.

Thanks for the info. So I should first let Noel learn COM Bonus 2 and Serah, RAV Bonus 2, then go into SYN and SAB?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I still can't believe people have trouble with the clock puzzle >.>

I finished them in about 3 minutes.

Have you done the later ones in Oerba in other times? Those are really time consuming.

Cheska

I thought Mog was growing on me, but I just got the Mog Throw ability and he makes the most annoying sounds when he's thrown :/

ULTROS!

Urgh is there an easy way to get the chaos crystal without gambling?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Urgh is there an easy way to get the chaos crystal without gambling?

Money. I would buy the coins, use them to get the slots/lucky coin fragment and then buy the crystal only after.

Dead

well not really...yet
Put an hour in so far.

Urgh, maybe Im just rusty but I keep getting 3-4 stars on all the fights lol. I remember always getting 5s in 13.

Otherwise, shit makes no sense but it sure is pretty. Noel and Serah are pretty likeable so far and the music is amazing. The vocal track in the town at dawn in particular is gorgeous.

desu

Anyone got tips for Monster infusion?

Save before doing anything :D.

Other than that I am not sure if there are english lists yet what abilities you get from certain monsters. Depends a lot on what monster youre leveling up and what you want to do with it.

Got my pre-order pack today + CE strategy guide (got the game yesterday).

It seems wasteful as fuck to send the pre-order steel case separate from the actual game. Now everyone who has it has an extra case for the game :/

ULTROS!

I'm at the last stage already. I find the story ok though, I can understand it more that FFXIII's. Having a blast with the game.

I'm at the last stage already. I find the story ok though, I can understand it more that FFXIII's. Having a blast with the game.

Really? Maybe by then things will become more clear soon
(going to Augusta Tower 200 AF)

This game could've been a classic had the difficulty and story been of a higher quality.

Hmmmm... can't believe how short this game is :\

in just
hours I reached the final dungeon yesterday.... going to load the game and finish it in an hour or so.

then, TROPHIES HUNTER mode time :p

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest

in just
hours I reached the final dungeon yesterday.... going to load the game and finish it in an hour or so.

That was fast. I hope this game takes the time to tell its story decently in that amount of time. I remember finishing Mass Effect 2 in the same amount of time, but I felt satisfied by the end.

Toth

in just

Methinks it is short because all the DLC will add onto the main experience and probably add an additional 5-10 hrs. I just hope (emphasis there) all those coliseum DC characters are being saved for one high level final scenario.

Top Bottom